Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone (34687 Views)

Which Mobile Data Provider Is Currently The Best In Terms Of Cost & Reliability? / Top 7 Things To Do Instead Of Buying The Iphone 8 Or Iphone 8 Plus / Which Is Better Android Or A Windows Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by nze4al(m): 8:50am On Mar 22, 2016
Not everyone needs or can afford an unlimited data plan (all hands are not equal), so whether you have 100MB or 10GB of mobile data on your smartphone, here are a few simple tips and tricks you can follow you to reduce your data consumption and save some money.

These tips will help reduce your mobile data usage

▶Check your Data Usage
First things first, let’s check how much data you’re using. On Android, open your phones data usage menu (Settings > Mobile Data/Data Usage)

And on iPhone you can check your data usage by going to (Settings > Cellular and taking a look under Cellular Data Usage) to find out how much you’ve used and which apps are using the most data and what you need to do to cut down on your data usage. There you can also set mobile data limit, a great way of avoiding an unwelcome extra charge on your bill and a warning when you approach it.

▶ Restrict Background Data
For Android users, in the Data Usage settings menu, tap on any of the apps listed to show more information about how much data they’re using, including a breakdown of its foreground and background data use.

Apps will often refresh and update in the background, even if you’re not using them, in order to open faster and provide up-to-date information. Enabling Restrict background data can significantly reduce your data usage.

▶ Disable auto-updates
If you own an Android phone, go to Google Play Store > Settings > Auto-Update apps and select ‘Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only’. This way, your phone will wait until your connected to a Wi-Fi network before it updates your apps.

▶ Using firewall to controls internet access for apps
Most of the apps on your Android device probably require a data connection, and you may not even know when they are sending or receiving data. Firewall puts you in control of Internet access for apps, as well as how they can access it.

There are many firewall apps on the Google’s play store, but most of them requires root access to work. So i recommend you to download this NoRoot Firewall if your Android device is not rooted. As the name suggests, the app doesn’t require you to root your Android. Instead, it creates a VPN and diverts all the traffic on your phone through it. This way, you can choose which traffic you want to allow and which you want to stop. When any app tries to access the Internet, you’ll get an alert where you can allow or deny it and save the setting for the future. This level of control can also let you see when a certain app is accessing data for ads and block it.

▶ Wi-Fi is your friend
It sounds pretty obvious, but try to use Wi-Fi whenever possible (free Wi-Fi is always sweet). Whether you’re connected to the home, school or office Wi-Fi or making use of a hotspot, you should take advantage of any chance you get to use Wi-Fi instead of your mobile data.

▶ Using mini browser’s and reducing the image quality of your browser
Mini browser’s like Opera mini, Opera Max, Uc browser mini etc to browse the internet can help to reduce data usage, as they will compress images, video, webpages, and even the data sent by apps installed on your phone. Thereby reducing rate of data consumption.

You can also save data by reducing the quality of images from your browser settings or off the image entirely if not necessary.

▶ Manually close certain apps
Some data-hungry apps that are left open, or simply due to default settings on your phone that you weren’t aware of can chew through your data without you realising it.

Pressing the back button when exiting out of apps, instead of the home button, will close down your apps. However for certain apps such as GPS (maps), video or audio streaming (Youtube, Rdio, ) or Skype go to Settings > Application > Manage Applications > Running, then open the app you wish to close and force close.

▶ And if you’re not connected to a Wi-Fi network, avoid or limit the usage of popular messaging apps like Facebook, Viber, BBM and WhatsApp as they use a lot of data to send messages – there’s nothing wrong with a good old fashioned text or phone call!

If you have any tips or ways to protect our mobile data, let us know in the comments below.

Source: http://www.techmzy.com.ng/2016/03/22/how-to-use-less-mobile-data-on-android-or-iphone/

12 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by Taolyn4lif(m): 1:16pm On Mar 22, 2016
nze4al:
And if you’re not connected to a Wi-Fi network, avoid or limit the usage of popular messaging apps like Facebook, Viber, BBM and WhatsApp as they use a lot of data to send messages – there’s nothing wrong with a good old fashioned text or phone call!

Whatsapp doesn't use a lot of data. And a phone user may consider Facebook Lite in place of the Messenger App.

Very good post though

6 Likes

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by Kenkeye: 2:44pm On Mar 22, 2016
Lalasticlala, this is a good tutorial for smartphone newbies. Abeg help them
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by samzheee(m): 4:42pm On Mar 22, 2016
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by Ayodejioak(m): 4:42pm On Mar 22, 2016
Here in AMERICA, we don't need that tip.. I still rep naija any day shar. smiley wink

2 Likes

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by cycline404(m): 4:42pm On Mar 22, 2016
I hate restrictions on my Data.
God bless 02 it's always unlimited.
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by petkoffdrake2(m): 4:43pm On Mar 22, 2016
I blame it on Buhari

1 Like

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by DBossNG(m): 4:43pm On Mar 22, 2016
Nice one
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by sczeska: 4:43pm On Mar 22, 2016
Google Chrome is killing me

1 Like

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by boman2014: 4:43pm On Mar 22, 2016
h
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by JoaHynppes(m): 4:44pm On Mar 22, 2016
[size=14pt]at op, I don't know why you should be teaching we current Android users on how to manage our phones. We are not illiterates, we've been using the Android for 3-4 years and I don't see why you should be schooling us on how to make use of it.
We need something new and not things we've already known!
Thanks BTW...
[/size]

7 Likes

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by olatade(m): 4:44pm On Mar 22, 2016
Download opera max cool

1 Like

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by kennyman2000(m): 4:44pm On Mar 22, 2016
Thanks Op
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by abumeinben(m): 4:47pm On Mar 22, 2016
I see...
This thread again and again and again and again and.....zzZz

Uninstall Facebook apps, Subway sufffer or something, disable all location based services like GPS...

And pls don't be too archaic by turning off ur data, thinking u r saving data. Because when you finally turn on the data, Android resumes from where you turned off. That's why u still get WhatsApp notifications of over 12hrs. Turning off data is only effective with credit on the go, ie, data-ing with ur money.

Enjoy.

4 Likes

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by nepapole(m): 4:47pm On Mar 22, 2016
Windows phone nko

1 Like

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by akara(m): 4:49pm On Mar 22, 2016
Delete the Facebook app. Use substitute apps to access Facebook.
I use METAL and noticed the difference from the first day.

1 Like

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by KOLZY(m): 4:50pm On Mar 22, 2016
Thanks Op.
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by Mosesoly(m): 4:52pm On Mar 22, 2016
Nice one OP,You can also get Mobiwol,it prevent or block unnecesary App connection.
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by castrokins(m): 4:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
I Will Wait For Ntel

1 Like

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by Ada9103(f): 4:53pm On Mar 22, 2016
Really? Nice one
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by phemybof(m): 4:54pm On Mar 22, 2016
@op
as usualll
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by phemybof(m): 4:54pm On Mar 22, 2016
as usualll
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by satowind(m): 4:54pm On Mar 22, 2016
QUESTION: Why is Suya sold at night?

ANSWER: Because Newspapers are sold during the day

4 Likes

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by azeecoboy(m): 4:54pm On Mar 22, 2016
and someone will boldly tell me browsing cheat is not good undecided
imagine all this stress i will have to go through just because i couldnt afford to buy much data...
phewww

2 Likes

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by richidinho(m): 4:55pm On Mar 22, 2016
Ayodejioak:
Here in AMERICA, we don't need that tip.. I still rep naija any day shar. smiley wink

tnx 4 telling us you are in America, how is Trump?

3 Likes

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by DammyFx: 4:55pm On Mar 22, 2016
Nice
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by passyjango(m): 4:57pm On Mar 22, 2016
If you put on all these restrictions on your data, then what is the point of buying a smartphone? You are better off saving your money on a feature phone. It is the continuous connections that makes smartphones smart.

It is also important to know that free Wi-Fi is dangerous, because you don't actually know who is on the other side

2 Likes

Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by abumeinben(m): 4:57pm On Mar 22, 2016
sczeska:
Google Chrome is killing me

Enable data savings in settings.. But I noticed I won't work on Wi-Fi with data savings setting pushed on
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by kingarizona1(m): 4:58pm On Mar 22, 2016
angry
Ayodejioak:
angry

and your location states Nigeria
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by FEROH: 4:58pm On Mar 22, 2016
Ignore unnecessary clips streaming or downloads
Re: How To Use Less Mobile Data On Your Android Or Iphone by pat077: 5:04pm On Mar 22, 2016
abumeinben:

Enable data savings in settings.. But I noticed I won't work on Wi-Fi with data savings setting pushed on
is it possible to off image on google chrome?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NCC To Increase Price Of Data To 250MB For N1000 / Here Is Why Apple Removed The 3.5mm Headset Jack From The New Iphone 7 / 10 Wrong Places To Use Your Mobile Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.