Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Six Commonly Confused Words In English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Six Commonly Confused Words In English (882 Views)

Some Common Errors In English. / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Commonly Confused Words In English by TheReadyWriters: 12:29pm On Mar 22, 2016
Communication is integral to success in any field of endeavour. A slight gap in communication could spell the difference between peace and conflict. For communication to be effective, the sender and the receiver must have the same frame of reference. To this end, it is important to ensure that we make our communication clear, leaving no room for ambiguity.
A key consideration in this regard is the need to not only increase our word power but also to distinguish between words that sound alike or seem to have a similar meaning. I’m sure you’ve seen folks write “common” when what they really want to say is “come on”. Perhaps you’re guilty of this yourself. This blog post addresses six of such commonly confused pairs of words.
1. “Bogus” does not mean “big”
If I had a thousand naira for every time I’ve heard someone use the word “bogus” as synonym for “big”, I would buy a new MacBook! The more perturbing thing about this error is that it is not limited to young learners; even English scholars, TV presenters and public speakers are also guilty. Regardless of how you have heard the word used, “bogus” does not mean “big”. The two words are not even remotely related. Do you doubt that? Check your dictionary or simply enter the search query “Define bogus” (without the quotes) in Google”.
2. Don’t confuse “seize” with “cease”
If you’ve had cause to teach English Language at secondary school level or Use of English at the tertiary level, you’ll agree with me that this is a fairly common error. In its most common usage, to “seize” is to take hold of, grab or take possession of. It is totally different from “cease” which means to end, finish or stop.
Examples:
i. LASTMA officials seized the erring driver’s documents.
ii. Good things will not cease in your life.
3. Distinguish “Perpetuate” from “Perpetrate”
While it is technically correct to talk about “perpetuating evil”, most likely the word you really wanted to use is “perpetrate” not “perpetuate”. To perpetrate is to perform an act, usually, a negative act such as crime while to perpetuate is to carry on, to cause to continue or prevail. Both words may be on the same page of the dictionary but they are far apart in meaning.
Two other commonly confused pairs of words are cause/course and expand/expound. You want to pick up your dictionary and see the appropriate way to use these words.
Finally, I have observed that not a few people have formed the habit of introducing an “n” into words like covenant and expatiate thus changing them to convenant and expantiate both of which are alien to the English language. Look up these words in your dictionary. If you don’t have one, use Google.
Are you guilty of any of the aforementioned blunders? Well, even native speakers commit grievous blunders. I’ve seen quite a few on some of the most reputable media sites from the UK and US. So it’s nothing to be ashamed of, especially if you use English as a second language. What you should be ashamed of is the refusal to seek help. Don’t wait for a public embarrassment before getting the help you need. Talk to our training department at TRW Consult today. Send a mail to training@trwconsult.com. We have customised plans to suit your specific needs.

2 Likes

Re: Six Commonly Confused Words In English by uhalauju(f): 12:44pm On Mar 22, 2016
Nice one op Worthy of front-page

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Commonly Confused Words In English by Brymo: 1:12pm On Mar 22, 2016
As if we r identified with English language. Go to arewa public functions, and see d perpetrate communication bogusly with hausa language. Who has english language helped?
Re: Six Commonly Confused Words In English by ashewoboy(m): 2:03pm On Mar 22, 2016
Whether you like it or not, english is the official language of nigeria.

Op, many writers confuse "perpetuate" and 'perpetrate'. For that, i think this post deserves front page.

Cc: lalasticlala, CUM here.
Re: Six Commonly Confused Words In English by amunekeuto: 3:42pm On Mar 22, 2016
there is also some confusion with the words sex and fuuuccck
Re: Six Commonly Confused Words In English by xender(m): 4:48pm On Mar 22, 2016
interesting.
Re: Six Commonly Confused Words In English by SexyCrixus25(m): 5:25pm On Mar 22, 2016
Interesting & worthy of note.

Front page it pls

(1) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Cool-teens Essay Competition, 2016 / Universal School Of Aviation Emerges 2016 West Africa Most Innovative School / UNN Post Graduate Admissions List 2016/2017 Is OUT!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.