Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,055 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, (1525 Views)

An E-commerce Website Is Needed Urgently For A Clothing Company / Proposal Letter Of Web Design Fo A Company / Please I Need A Website Proposal Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by evergie(m): 4:02pm On Jul 23, 2009
I need a developer to develop a website with the following features.
A chatting platform for all online members,
real time world newson the side navigations,
members registration database,
picture upload to members profile,
creation of email for the members such as, evergie@clubname.com.
If there is anybody capable of handling this.
pls send me the cost through this mailing address dunkmyan@yahoo.com
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by yawatide(f): 4:11pm On Jul 23, 2009
take a look at ning.com - u can do all that yourself in no time tongue

The only drawbacks are that unless you are willing to part with monthly fees which varies per ning ad, for instance, the google ads are owned by ning.

Other than that, I strongly recommend ning. I have used it to provide the online community portion of various websites I have implemented for my clients.

good luck!
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by smartsoft(m): 5:02pm On Jul 23, 2009
@poster that's true, don't anyone fool you by collecting money from you and implementing it and you won't know is ning.com but if you still want someone to integrate that for you hehehehehe you can pay yawa or smartsoft lol
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by OmniPotens(m): 5:24pm On Jul 23, 2009
hmmm, just the both of you smartsoft grin

Don't arouse people to start posting their CVs here or you will start , tongue
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by yawatide(f): 5:28pm On Jul 23, 2009
yep smartsoft, knowing about it and being able to implement it and having the time to implement it are 3 different things wink

I have had the opportunity to charge clients major bucks only to give them ning but my conscience won't let me. Don't get me wrong, if they want help implementing, I will charge, but I can't charge them say $3K to do $500 equivalent of work, especially considering I am not writing a single line of code (not to say you guys shouldn't do that wink)

Whenever I tell such clients about ning, they thank me senseless like I was some kind of father xmas, he he.
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by remoranger(m): 8:00pm On Jul 23, 2009
Hence forth anybody that needs a website. this is what i am going to post

http://www.joomla.org or http://www.drupal.org

for how to use it i will suggest htttp://www.ebookee.com just search through for joomla or drupal ebooks.

Yup. let the exposure begin.
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by yawatide(f): 8:11pm On Jul 23, 2009
he he, remo, it isn't that bad.  Again, reference part of my prior post:
Yep smartsoft, knowing about it and being able to implement it and having the time to implement it are 3 different things

You make it sound like telling the client that he can use dreamweaver automatically means that he will know what he is doing, he he.

On my very first joomla project, the client actually insisted that I use joomla (he mentioned it by name, mentioning the various benefits and even mentioned a few plug-ins, to my surprise).  He however admitted that he doesn't know how to use it and even if he did, he didn't have the time and would rather an expert deal with it.  And guess what? I charged him the same amount of money.  I dunno, maybe it is in how one presents one's self.

From my experience, just like I know how to change the oil in my car, many potential clients know what's up.  Having said that, most do realize that they need an expert to actually do the work in order for it to have the special look and feel.

Also, look at the following scenarios:
1) When you write your proposal, chances are that you will indicate what technologies you will use (I do).  If the client were that sinister, he/she would cancel the contract and go implement it him/herself armed with what is in your proposal

2) In today's encryption/decryption techniques, the norm now is to give out a public key, which everyone has but to only share the private key with the trusted party.  In other words, the hackers may have the public key but it will be tough, within reason of course, for them to get the private key.

3) Let's take ning for instance.  You don't tell the client that you are going to use it but you do.  I am assuming you don't bill the change of domain (@ $25 a month) from abc.ning.com to abc.com.  Sooner or later, the client will come back, demanding that that's not what they wanted and that you change it to abc.com.  2 things come to mind here: 1) you skip bail (becoming 419 in the process) OR 2) you tarnish your reputation when you finally tell the client the truth.

I believe in TMI (Too Much Information) up front.  The more the client knows, the less likely they are to ask further questions.   The more you tell them stuff, the more respect they have for you.  My experience anyways.

Think about it wink
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by bug24(m): 11:09pm On Jul 23, 2009
hmmm, yawa, how abt this, u maintain ur ABC.com , setup ning in anoda directory and stylishly bring it into abc.com using <iframe>ning.com</iframe>

the client doesnt still know abi?

dont call me 419 pls cool
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by yawatide(f): 12:29am On Jul 24, 2009
Smaaaart. Never thought of that. Then again, as I said, I put it out for my clients on the table. They go into any deal I have with their eyes wide open. I would also assume (I stand corrected) that if ning were to pursue, they could tell via their logs that abc.com was pinging their site via the iframe and that might be a violation of their terms and conditions.

As for what to call you, I will let you decide that for yourself cool
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by bug24(m): 9:34am On Jul 24, 2009
lol, thats if they have the time to check their logs, i thought about violations to their policies actually but, 9ja for life, we always damn consequences. lol
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by bug24(m): 10:08am On Jul 24, 2009
Yawa !!! u wont believe this, i tried the iframe thang with ning, guess what i got. lol,

Sorry, you cant use iframes to call our website, blah blah blah, it showed up though but u cant do anything with it. lol
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by yawatide(f): 10:55am On Jul 24, 2009
bugs: well, at least you thought up a ("smart"wink idea. Now, get to work on a *legitimate* solution tongue
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by femig: 6:37am On Jul 26, 2009
@yawa-ti-de
Although I do not know so much about ning (so u might need to educate me), but the poster requested for the following feature

- creation of email for the members such as, evergie@clubname.com

which I dont think ning offers you.

I kind of buy your idea of giving as much information as possible to your clients (I do this too) - this actually reduces the emphasis on money while boosting trust. But it does not have to be done to your loss.

Have you ever built a social networking site. If you have, then I think it is smarter selling your own codes than selling nings service.

I developed myaboki.com (with lots of emphasis on the ajax features), I am currently developing another S.N. site (although with added features). Integrating an email facility (as requested by poster) is therefore no big deal.

If the poster can pay, let him pay. He will likely prefer paying a one off fee for his site, as well as his codes rather than a relatively huge annual subscription fee with no source code.
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by yawatide(f): 12:32pm On Jul 26, 2009
femig:

So far, I haven't been at a loss with respect to offering ning as an online community solution. I have implemented 3 thus far. I am even getting maintenance fees for 2 of the 3.

In the original post, I overlooked the part about email, I guess cos it was buried within the post. Once I saw, "chat", "picture upload", "real time news", I didn't bother any further. You are right though, ning doesn't allow you to create/have email addresses that meet the poster's specs. You know more about ning than you give yourself credit for tongue

I am a very lazy coder. I believe in minimum (though professional and high quality) effort while achieving maximum benefit/profit. I have never developed my own "S.N." from scratch and I don't have the intention to either. Why reinvent the wheel? If a client puts a gun to my head regarding the email issue, worse case, here is what I might do:

1) Get a very cheap web hosting solution, say abc.com, one that basically I will purchase for the sole purpose of creating email addresses.

2) Name the ning site like so: abc.ning.com

As mentioned earlier, I would tell the client what is up, upfront. I always stress the fact that though it has everything they need, unless they are willing to pay to remove ning-specific stuff, they will get a subdomain for their online community. In all 3 cases, they have not complained. If the client insists that they want a "from scratch" solution and it means losing their business, so be it. I believe in destiny/fate. I will get other jobs. If I don't, again, so be it. In the time I would use to create 1 "S.N.", I could develop 5 regular sites, making even more money. Again, why suffer? why kill myself? This is how I think.

In summary, your points are noted, valid and well taken. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on how we approach an issue like this.

Sorry for the rant. Okay, I am off my soapbox now grin
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by yemo90(m): 8:38pm On Jul 29, 2009
We design High quality front-end for cms sysytems like joomla, wordpress or drupal also

code-charge dbs platforms.

We install CMS technology in the website which will enable you to easily make

modifications to the website using your web browser without any prior knowledge of HTML.

samples:
www.uigeologyalumni.com
www.ascentstudiong.com
www.medivacompany.com
www.bossblossoms.com
www.inkafrica.com

fee:
for standard designs (static 4 page website ) is N20,000 not inclusive of hosting or

domain name registration
duration 3 - 5 days to completion

contact deatils:
mobile - 0802 318 0128
01 873 0175

email - info@ascentstudiong.com

Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by bug24(m): 9:55pm On Jul 29, 2009
Yawa, u dont know what i owe u for mentioning ning.com on this thread, actually i know ning and i have setup a network there b4, but my brain giantly skipped it when i needed it most.

I did this website www.beretonacademy.com for a company here in PH who got the job. now the job went into 3 sections (TEAM) i handled all the web/graphic designs while the other two guyz handles the academic and alumni aspects.

The alumni guy was taking forever to put his codes up, we all kept worrying and beggin him, but unknown to him after abt 4months. d coy took his knight cap off and handed it over to me, i had to do something urgently so the contract given to em wont be cancelled. i did something already with smf but i didnt like the functionalty cos it was just abt 60% of what they wanted, then i came here and u mentioned ning, haaaaaaaaah!!! i remembered and immediately this came online. http://www.beretonacademy.ning.com

guess what !!! dem love am die.

i'll be waiting to collect my money on both design and alumi soon, anyone care to have a share of the money? oya, make una line up for my back. grin grin
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by quadrillio(m): 10:47am On Jul 30, 2009
ning will forever be a solution. No need to hide the secret.

the more things you explain to your clients the safer and relieved you feel.

Safe
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by yawatide(f): 11:22am On Jul 30, 2009
ning will forever be a solution. No need to hide the secret.

the more things you explain to your clients the safer and relieved you feel.

Exactly!

bugs24: As I bring am back to your memory, that means I get 80% of the cut tongue

Seriously though, you voiced my sentiments exactly. I was in a similar situation: I had a client who wanted everything ning had to offer but at the time, I didn't know about ning/socialgo/dolphin. They said they wanted a myspace/facebook type app. The money was good and I couldn't say no. I figured worse case, I outsource it. I mean I could do it, but as I have said many times over, I am a lazy coder. Anyways, they paid me about half then folded. The project laid fallow for a year before they called me back. Within that time, I was invited to register on a ning site and though I didn't realize its potential or where I would use it, I joined. About 3 months after that, the client calls again and says they want to continue and stressed their online community again. Na so I dey grin grin
Of course I told them about the sub-domaining, etc. They had no problem with it and within minutes (as opposed to days/weeks), their social network was up. Like in your case, they can't thank me enough. I have gone on to implement 3 more ning sites for 3 other clients and in each case, no complaints whatsoever.

I have also lost (and I am only mentioning this, not as a brag, but for emphasis) a $3K job because after the guy kept rambling on end and could not seem to tell me what he wanted, I said, "you know what? Just go to ning.com and set it up for yourself. As a matter of fact, here is a link to an online tutorial." The guy was beside himself. He couldn't believe that I would tell him this and couldn't stop thanking me. I even told him how much money he had saved as a result. Sure, I lost $3K but I think I also gained some respect. Who knows? maybe in the future, he refers me to someone and/or he has a site he wants me to do for him. I believe in fate/destiny. If it isn't meant to be, no matter what you do, it won't be, and vice versa.

Folks, IMHO, the days of hiding info/wanting to prove to the world that you can code the next facebook, are over. Smart clients know how to google. In other words, they can get the info if they want. Why act like coding is a magic box? This isn't a case of "the more you look, the less you see" but of, "the more you tell, the more they will trust you"
Re: A Website Proposal Needed Urgently For This Features, by Afam(m): 8:57am On Aug 04, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

Folks, IMHO, the days of hiding info/wanting to prove to the world that you can code the next facebook, are over. Smart clients know how to google. In other words, they can get the info if they want. Why act like coding is a magic box? This isn't a case of "the more you look, the less you see" but of, "the more you tell, the more they will trust you"

Don't think a "one size fits all" solution works in most organisations that have business processes they want to automate or turn into a software.

Also a lot of serious businesses really do not focus on network based websites as they focus on their core competences. Toyota is not running a facebook like website neither is Cocacola trying to be like twitter.

Bottomline? Those who have programming skills are in high demand and they make a lot of money because they are not many.

Smart clients may know how to google but as they say person wey no sabi book no fit carry expo because e no go even know when e see the correct or wrong answer.

This is also akin to saying that I can learn how to manufacture a shoe or learn how to grow my own food or even build my own car instead of trusting those who do that well to provide them while I pay for them.

There is a place for every single skill and what a company may prefer may be frowned at by another company even on the same building.

(1) (Reply)

Some Must Visit Nigerian Site For News And Celerity Gossips / Yahoo To Sell It's Operating Business To Verizon / Download All My Php/website Scripts With Just A Token

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.