Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,931 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time (59416 Views)

Welcome To USA - Tips And Tricks For Immigrants / Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. / 7 Attitudes You Should Have On Lagos Roads If You Are Relocating To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by agarawu23(m): 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ok

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
and don't forget garri....Nigeria's first fast food
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by tosyne2much(m): 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
OP, you are ryt
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by jeffizy(m): 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
The most important was ommited.

Your BIRTH CERTIFICATE is a must have.
No football age here.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by checkolatunji: 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
kairu:
Yes it’s finally going to happen. Your lifelong dream of living and working in America is finally coming to pass. Your employer is sending you to their U.S. subsidiary, you won a green card lottery, your relative has finally filed for you or you sold all your properties and inheritance and relocated anyway.

In my own case we were very excited about this opportunity and could not wait to relocate. So we left behind our friends, grandparents, nephews, nieces, co-workers and a job for me that just got comfortable with a promotion!

Any way in our excitement we forgot to do quite a lot of things which later became very stressful to obtain. So here are some of them;

International Drivers License/Permit

It’s definitely an option to get an international drivers license before you enter the US. Most cities in the US don’t have good public transportation and you may need to borrow, rent or buy a car in other to move from one point to another. But this is only a temporary solution for the first few months. After that you will still have to get a US drivers license. The police might start to give you a hard time about it especially if you get stopped for a traffic offence.

Get those Academic Transcripts!

You must have Your Secondary /University Transcript of Records. Especially if you plan to either school or work in the US. Request it from your University Registrar. Try to request as many copies as you can. Then have them evaluated by Credentials Evaluation Services. The CES is a government approved organization for those who are educated outside the United States but want to pursue further education in U.S. institutions of higher learning or work with their credentials. The cost I think is $385.00 and you can check out www.cgfns.org for more clarification. You can actually do this evaluation even before you travel!

A note of warning though….. Don’t be surprised if your Nigerian first class degree is evaluated to a second class lower. I beg that’s how I see am! Apparently our degrees no qualify! But just check it out before leaving before you find out that you left Nigeria a doctor and is only qualified to be an RN!

Take the Approved English Language Proficiency Examinations

If you want to further your education this is a must. As far as you were not born here and you did not begin your early education here, then yes you need this document.

There are three sets of approved exams; (1) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) plus the Test of Written English (TWE) and the Test of Spoken English (TSE); (2) the Test of English in International Communications (TOEIC) plus TSE and TWE; or (3) the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Unlocked Cell Phones

Yes that your very expensive unlocked cell phone can be used here with another carrier. Most cell phone companies in the US sell locked cellphones. Although you can buy unlock codes and phones on places like Ebay when you arrive. it’s interesting but I found out its easier and sometimes cheaper to buy phones from Nigeria, then bring it here and just pick a carrier. All you do is insert your SIM and you’re good to go. Rather than paying for phones with 2 year service plans.

An Adapter for Your Various Electronics

The voltage in America is 110 while in Nija its 220/240! In those days, we needed voltage converters to either step up or step down the voltages or else our electronics would blow up.
But now that’s not really necessary since most electronics such as cell phones, iPads, tablets, laptops and cameras, all have the capacity to accept both types of voltage. All you need now is just an adapter with different plugs.

Photos and Contact Information of Friends and Family

Yep, I took this one for granted. Time flies really when you travel abroad. Before you can say Jackie Chan, you will have spent 4 years without even realizing it and have lost contact with a lot of your peers, friends and family! So please pack up as many memorabilia as you can!

Op this your topic is confusing. Do you mean if you are relocating or you have may be a 2yrs Visa and you plan to stoneway?

If you have may be a 2yrs Visa and you plan to stay after your visa is expired, then you don't need to go along with your Academic Transcript , instead, you can ask someone to mail it to you after you must have gotten there.

Reason, this people believe (Oyinbo's) believe we Africans like to run to their country. So when you go along with your Academic Transcript they will have the impression that you are running away. With this they might send you back at the port of entry.

Based on experience and true life story

4 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by balash(m): 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
Lovely
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Gkemz: 6:01pm On Mar 23, 2016
For those who have it in their agenda though helpful.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by jeffizy(m): 6:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
checkolatunji:

Op this your topic is confusing. Do you mean if you are relocating or you have may be a 2yrs Visa and you plan to stoneway?

If you have may be a 2yrs Visa and you plan to stay after your visa is expired, then you don't need to go along with your Academic Transcript , instead, you can ask someone to mail it to you after you must have gotten there.

Reason, this people believe (Oyinbo's) believe we Africans like to run to their country. So when you go along with your Academic Transcript they will have the impression that you are running away. With this they might send you back at the port of entry.

Just file it in your portmanteau. . Lol.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by RetroBoy: 6:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
1. Do not leave your old clothes behind in Nigeria. You'll spend less on clothes. .
2. Aso ebi and native attire are more expensive over there. Take ur Naija ones along.
3. Adapters, like op said, are different. Enuff said.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Ninilowo(m): 6:03pm On Mar 23, 2016
Good. Now I know the full meaning of TOEFL grin
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by RVBC: 6:03pm On Mar 23, 2016
as a Nigerian traveling to Kenya this article as been very useful to me... thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 23, 2016
Akosxxx:
Nowhere like home.. 9ja

Exclude 9ja from your definition of home!
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by anonimi: 6:05pm On Mar 23, 2016
kairu:

It’s definitely an option to get an international drivers license before you enter the US. Most cities in the US don’t have good public transportation and you may need to borrow, rent or buy a car in other to move from one point to another. But this is only a temporary solution for the first few months. After that you will still have to get a US drivers license. The police might start to give you a hard time about it especially if you get stopped for a traffic offence.

I believe you can use your Nigerian driving licence if you are just visiting.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by obyrich(m): 6:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
kairu:
Yes it’s finally going to happen. Your lifelong dream of living and working in America is finally coming to pass. Your employer is sending you to their U.S. subsidiary, you won a green card lottery, your relative has finally filed for you or you sold all your properties and inheritance and relocated anyway.

In my own case we were very excited about this opportunity and could not wait to relocate. So we left behind our friends, grandparents, nephews, nieces, co-workers and a job for me that just got comfortable with a promotion!

Any way in our excitement we forgot to do quite a lot of things which later became very stressful to obtain. So here are some of them;

You must have Your Secondary /University Transcript of Records. Especially if you plan to either school or work in the US. Request it from your University Registrar. Try to request as many copies as you can. Then have them evaluated by Credentials Evaluation Services. The CES is a government approved organization for those who are educated outside the United States but want to pursue further education in U.S. institutions of higher learning or work with their credentials. The cost I think is $385.00 and you can check out www.cgfns.org for more clarification. You can actually do this evaluation even before you travel!

A note of warning though….. Don’t be surprised if your Nigerian first class degree is evaluated to a second class lower. I beg that’s how I see am! Apparently our degrees no qualify! But just check it out before leaving before you find out that you left Nigeria a doctor and is only qualified to be an RN!

If you want to further your education this is a must. As far as you were not born here and you did not begin your early education here, then yes you need this document.

There are three sets of approved exams; (1) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) plus the Test of Written English (TWE) and the Test of Spoken English (TSE); (2) the Test of English in International Communications (TOEIC) plus TSE and TWE; or (3) the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Unlocked Cell Phones

Yes that your very expensive unlocked cell phone can be used here with another carrier. Most cell phone companies in the US sell locked cellphones. Although you can buy unlock codes and phones on places like Ebay when you arrive. it’s interesting but I found out its easier and sometimes cheaper to buy phones from Nigeria, then bring it here and just pick a carrier. All you do is insert your SIM and you’re good to go. Rather than paying for phones with 2 year service plans.

The voltage in America is 110 while in Nija its 220/240! In those days, we needed voltage converters to either step up or step down the voltages or else our electronics would blow up.
But now that’s not really necessary since most electronics such as cell phones, iPads, tablets, laptops and cameras, all have the capacity to accept both types of voltage. All you need now is just an adapter with different plugs.

Yep, I took this one for granted. Time flies really when you travel abroad. Before you can say Jackie Chan, you will have spent 4 years without even realizing it and have lost contact with a lot of your peers, friends and family! So please pack up as many memorabilia as you can!
Thanks Op. It seems the CES link you posted is for nursing profession only.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Abalado(f): 6:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
kairu:

Unlocked Cell Phones

[sub][quote author=kairu post=44022900]Yes it’s finally going to happen. Your lifelong dream of living and working in America is finally coming to pass. Your employer is sending you to their U.S. subsidiary, you won a green card lottery, your relative has finally filed for you or you sold all your properties and inheritance and relocated anyway.

In my own case we were very excited about this opportunity and could not wait to relocate. So we left behind our friends, grandparents, nephews, nieces, co-workers and a job for me that just got comfortable with ok
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by sonnie10: 6:13pm On Mar 23, 2016
kairu:

Unlocked Cell Phones

Most states will not accept Nigeria drivers license as Nigeria is not listed as one of the countries they have reciprocity with.

Can you get WAEC results on-lines when you arrive? For your university transcript, a copy is just enough as each school has it own preferred evaluating agency.

Most school will consider you as long as you have passed English comp 1 & 2 at college level.

Unlocked Cell Phones
Most cell phone plans will include a phone set. You may not need you old phone.

Do you want to bring your TV, fridge or radio to US? Like you said, common gadget you can travel with are interchangeable between 120/220v

These days of facebook and other social media, don't be surprise that everyone you know has pictures on the internet. You may want to save that space in your luggage for "original garri Ijebu." which is an essential commodity in your new destination.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by gbaskiboy: 6:13pm On Mar 23, 2016
Sweetyie:
Baba God answer my call oh
my bae I have not seen your calls grin grin
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by santuse: 6:18pm On Mar 23, 2016
informative thanks op
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by LEOSIRSIR(m): 6:20pm On Mar 23, 2016
Op you make sense but this doesn't apply to only America alone, all what you stated up here are always essential in line of visiting. Relocating to another country
BTW you joined nairaland today, create your first topics and it makes front page
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by tpiah2: 6:23pm On Mar 23, 2016
LEOSIRSIR:

BTW you joined nairaland today, create your first topics and it makes front page

Wonderful.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by DCTrendy(m): 6:27pm On Mar 23, 2016
checkolatunji:

Oh you mean the will open your luggage n begin to check each of the documents in your bank one after the other for them to know u have your academic transcript in there?

someone should confirm this...lol.. its funny to me.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by soleexx(m): 6:38pm On Mar 23, 2016
I don't think I lack anything back in naija...nothing weuy u no go cee for 9ja stores in the States...
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by ItzTun3chi(m): 6:43pm On Mar 23, 2016
take lotta CD coz of them h**s wink wink
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by smartn09(m): 6:49pm On Mar 23, 2016
Thank you soooooooo ..........much.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by KHAYGOLD(m): 6:51pm On Mar 23, 2016
A very useful information
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by cecegorz(m): 6:53pm On Mar 23, 2016
Na wa for OP ooo

All the documents you listed can be e-mailed/DHL nah? Then for the pictures, social media is there to catch up with everybody.

I was expecting to see list like;

dried ewedu leaves, dried ukpaka, dried agbalumo, smoked fish, okporoko, gound ogbono and the rest grin grin

My guy that I dropped off at the Airport the other time had a 10kg bag filled with mostly Naija food items.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by tpiah2: 6:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
At this rate, op will soon say buy jeans and bring it with you to America.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by banmee(m): 7:03pm On Mar 23, 2016
Akosxxx:
Nowhere like home.. 9ja

That's what I said a long time ago. Home is where the heart is.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by banmee(m): 7:04pm On Mar 23, 2016
octopusfreaky:
No place like home jere,,dose places are meant for visitation.

Those places are meant to be lived in.

2 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by ATERI(m): 7:04pm On Mar 23, 2016
DCTrendy:

Oh you mean the will open your luggage n begin to check each of the documents in your bank one after the other for them to know u have your academic transcript in there?

someone should confirm this...lol.. its funny to me.

A couple of Somalians told me they were strip-searched. So that should tell you everything you need to know.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by tpiah2: 7:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
What concerns Somalia with Nigeria?

Were the Somalians coming from Nigeria?
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by banmee(m): 7:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
luckylucky:
I think you should have said that things Nigerians - American need to bring along when coming to Nigeria by the time Trump become America next president.

Sure. If you get there illegally. If you are legal, you have nothing to fear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Policemen Trapped As Cash-Filled Bullion Van Catches Fire In Kebbi (Pictures) / Ambode Is Building Pedestrian Bridge At Magodo-Alausa Secretariat Bus-stop / Airplane Runs Into Ditch During Takeoff In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.