Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,642 members, 7,813,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor (44808 Views)

Stop Squeezing Your Woman's Breasts: Medical Doctor Warns Men / Blood Is Coming Out Of My Nose Instead Of Mucus / Female Medical Doctor Dies In Warri After Her Return From Ukraine. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Caracta(f): 11:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
ifeomaekol:
. I think wat u shuld be doin frm nw on is to detain them, afta treatment do nt allow them to go until dia bill is settled cos I wouldn't wnt u to reject treating another soul dt needs treatment b/c of d mistakes of others pls. Pls, dnt lock ur hrt, dias a reason u r a doctor n it is to save lives, dnt allow ds type of incident occur again in ur hospital. Tamper justice wt mercy pls.

Detain them where? Police station or the same hospital? On the same bed and room he would use for other new patients? For how long would he keep them? Would he build a special section for the debtors to stay and live? Don't forget that some of these patients can afford the bills but just don't want to pay.

This country is completely f^ked up. It's so annoying!

2 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by EreluY(f): 11:39pm On Mar 23, 2016
samdes02:
no I won't, but would you excuse all the women who would hinge on the said oath of celibacy andswear to lure the Padre into shagging them?

It's only the padre, and not the seductionist(s), who is under oath. The latter has nothing at stake, really. The padre either sticks it out or quit if he no longer has the moral stamina and resolve to stay true to his calling. In the same manner, if a medical doctor cannot stay true to her/his calling with reference to the Hippocratic oath, s/he should (if s/he has a conscience) call it a day perhaps by moving into another sector where s/he can stay true to her/his calling. Junior doctors in England are currently demanding better working conditions with a threat that if the government fails to act, they'll move to other parts of the UK (especially Scotland and Northern Ireland) or abroad (Middle East, Australia, Canada, etc.). Rather than fold their arms and watch patients die, they'll simply move elsewhere. Only then can they, like Pontius Pilate, wash their hands clean of a patient's blood.

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by lomaxx: 11:41pm On Mar 23, 2016
staymore:
Ur story reminds me how wicked some of you doctors are, that was how my wife lost her eight months pregnancy in 2014 and if not God's intervention I would have lost my wife too, stop judging everyone with another persons mistake. Money wasn't a problem at all in my case, When the emergency occurred we rushed into the private clinic but the doc asked us to go back to where she registered, we begged and I was ready to deposit any amount but he refused.

I lost my baby because it took us about 30minutes to get to another one.

I hate to remember it, but God will not forgithat doctor.

You think doctors are wicked because you are ignorant and emotionally clouded. Doctors have reasons for their actions and you cannot stupefy their decisions because it ended badly. I deeply sympathise with you but you and a lot of Nigerians must desist from this mentality.

Every pregnancy is a risk. Research has shown that there's necessarily no high risk pregnancy per se because pregnancies that have been termed high risk have gone to term without complications and vice versa. So understand that every pregnancy is a risk to the mother and the child.

Secondly, when you confirm a pregnancy you register for antenatal care at a health facility. Antenatal care is a very important continuous process. The woman is assigned a Doctor who has a documentation of every event in a folder.

During labour, before the physician or midwives touches the woman, he or she reviews the antenatal care folder of the patient if indeed she had one. This is important. If during the course of pregnancy an important finding was discovered, instructions are made depending on what the issue is.

So a doctor asked you to take your wife to where she registered for antenatal care.

Another problem is you people don't listen to instructions. You just do what you like and wait to blame someone.

During an antenatal care consultation, the doctor always tells the woman about the danger signs of pregnancy. There is also the identification of someone in the family who will take decisions in case such a need arises. And finally the patient is told to rush to that facility in case. of emergency - not another facility.

Think of this. If you carried your wife to where she registered for antenatal care as was instructed initial, would your baby be alive today?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Doubleagent008(m): 11:43pm On Mar 23, 2016
ifeomaekol:
Op, u wia trained to save lives @any cost, in case u dnt kw dt lady's blood is on ur hands(am nt sayn ds to make u feel bad or angry),. Nw I understand u n I cn relate to ur plight. I think wat u shuld be doin frm nw on is to detain them, afta treatment do nt allow them to go until dia bill is settled cos I wouldn't wnt u to reject treating another soul dt needs treatment b/c of d mistakes of others pls. Pls, dnt lock ur hrt, dias a reason u r a doctor n it is to save lives, dnt allow ds type of incident occur again in ur hospital. Tamper justice wt mercy pls.
see madam, a hungry doctor can't save anybody's life. he will give insulin for oxytocin (check up those drugs u'll understand why a doc's head MUST ALWAYS be in the game). A good doctor will start doing abortion (which is against the law) when hungry and if caught and charged to court u sure won't defend him( burn in hell you'd say). he has members of staff in that hospital. would you remain in such establishment if someone tells you you are saving life and there is no salary.
you see, Lawyers aren't vilified by their job prescription but doctors, mehn! He is meant to save lives if their no money God will reward him. A doctor should have spouse, children and schools won't pass up on a doctor's kid fees if it's not coming and their spouses should not be wearing rages.
does a doctor receive free fuel at the filling station or free pepper in the market? in fact heaven helps you that they know u are a doc u will pay more.
My point is let's stop using the "save live at every cost" " God will reward u" BS on doctors they'll get tired of hearing it and really won't care when it becomes impractical. Human life is sacred, but a doctor's life is worth living too.

4 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by ifeomaekol(f): 11:43pm On Mar 23, 2016
Caracta:

Detain them where? Police station or the same hospital? On the same bed and room he would use for other new patients? For how long would he keep them? Would he build a special section for the debtors to stay and live? Don't forget that some of these patients can afford the bills but just don't want to pay.

This country is completely f^ked up. It's so annoying!
I kw, bt he must devise a means for them to pay, I jux dnt understand hw someone ll play pranks wt a hospital that did nt hestiate to save ur life---jux dnt understand. My own worry is dt he shulnt b/c of sm pples wickedness turn a deaf ear to d plight of genuine others. Its really a pity dt pple lack intergrity dz days.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by lomaxx: 11:45pm On Mar 23, 2016
nefertitiram:
Dr sofadj please, I use God to beg you, please reconsider your stance. If you go through my profile, you will understand y I am begging u.

I was rushed to R-Jolad in Lagos at 4am on a Sunday morning, with the exact case the woman that died had. Placenta abruption, I nearly bled to death. I had 4 pints transfused.

I was leaving for US to deliver my baby, I had bought ticket, made some expenses such that hubby and I had no more cash at that instance. We didn't have N20k with us at dat time of the morning

They decided to operate immediately, hubby asked how much, d doc told us my life was most important, dey couldn't even wait to screen all d 4 pints of blood. He should sign, save my life before we discuss money.

That was how I survived the ordeal. The babies died but I survived. I was admitted for 10 days b4 they brought any bill. We sold off our dollars to foot d bill of almost 300k.

If RJOLAD did not admit me that day, without a dime, where would I have been? There's no day I don't pray for RJOLAD.

My point is don't cut off the nose to spite the face. God will reward you and replenish your pockets.

You're very understanding. I wish you were like a lot of other people.

Forget Nigerians are. pathetic lots.

A doctor was complaining that he is gonna fold up his hospital because he can't pay staff and stock supplies.

What he is saying is, if the patient cannot afford treatment in his hospital, he will refer the patient to where they could possibly afford care.

We don't swear oaths to touch every patient we see. There's room for referral.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by God2man(m): 11:45pm On Mar 23, 2016
There should be a way out of this problem.

How are they doing in it other countries?

Something should be set up to balance up the unpaid bills.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by staymore: 11:46pm On Mar 23, 2016
Drfinn:

My brother, sorry about your loss. However, could it be that the said doctor didn't have the required skill to manage your wife on presentation? Could it be that the said was obviously exhausted or had some form of emotional disturbances that could have interfered with the quality of care your wife needed? Doctors are trained. Their eyes, hands, ears and every other senses are trained. Could it be that doctor knew that this is a bad case and it would be better she been seen by her 'main' doctor?

Am not trying to make excuses for a colleague. Am only trying to paint a different scenario. Nurses, and patients relatives maybe sympathetic. Doctors are not. They are empathic. The nurses may have felt sympathy for your but it's against Medical ethics for a doctor to do same. One of the best piece of advice I received earlier on in my career was from a senior colleague. He told me a good doctor isn't d one that knows how to prescribe drugs. Rather, it's the one dat knows when to call for help. Dat advice has saved many a time.

So my brother, kindly forgive whatever wrong you felt this doctor did you. At times we need to be in people's shoes to know how it feels in certain circumstances. God has been gracious to you. Your wife is alive and you have kids now. Why don't you let go of the ill feelings?

Thank you my brother. In my life I have met great, wonderful doctors that just there smile and approach to situations will raise ones faith and increase his chance of survival. This very one was different. However, I have since forgetting everything, I also have so much love and respect for doctors. After we left there that day, the next hospital we found ourself wasn't as big as the later, but the doctor was exceptional, he is my very good friend now, I thank God for him. He gave us all necessary attention and advice. We later moved my wife around 11pm to where she registered, she was induced, it took four days for the baby to come out, I begged she should be operated when the pain was much on her, doctors there gave me professional advice. I listened, it worked.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by ifeomaekol(f): 11:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
Doubleagent008:
see madam, a hungry doctor can't save anybody's life. he will give insulin for oxytocin (check up those drugs u'll understand why a doc's head MUST ALWAYS be in the game). A good doctor will start doing abortion (which is against the law) when hungry and if caught and charged to court u sure won't defend him( burn in hell you'd say). he has members of staff in that hospital. would you remain in such establishment if someone tells you you are saving life and there is no salary.
you see, Lawyers aren't vilified by their job prescription but doctors, mehn! He is meant to save lives if their no money God will reward him. A doctor should have spouse, children and schools won't pass up on a doctor's kid fees if it's not coming and their spouses should not be wearing rages.
does a doctor receive free fuel at the filling station or free pepper in the market? in fact heaven helps you that they know u are a doc u will pay more.
My point is let's stop using the "save live at every cost" " God will reward u" BS on doctors they'll get tired of hearing it and really won't care when it becomes impractical. Human life is sacred, but a doctor's life is worth living too.
hmmmmmm, ur sooo right. My fear is dt d geniune ones ll suffer.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Drabrah(m): 11:49pm On Mar 23, 2016
dexpotter:
You have a right judgement. But should the latter be punished for the sins of those that came before them? What if u were not a doc n ur wife or mother fall into similar situation n u are not dere 2 hlp financially @ dat moment??

My dear, I don't think it's abt crimes & punishment. It's application of wisdom, cos he's also gonna pay pipu along a chain frm do consumables thru maintenance to staff salary cum welfare. If he keeps accumulating d bills & his facility folds up (as obtained in different public sector) pipu ll allude dat he's stupid. So, I think he's made d best decision. There's definitely business aspect of health care, & in business, credit ain't ur friend.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by lomaxx: 11:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
julybaba:
If I own a private clinic, these are what I will do to ensure efficiency and prevent unnecessary loss of lives. .1) I will specialize (I wont be treating every sickness or attending to every issues. 2.)I will make it mandatory for every one that registered with my clinic to contribute every month towards emergency.

Exactly what I want to do. Specialty practice.

Well, emergency is emergency. No one expects it. If an emergency is beyond you, you stabilize and refer.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Doubleagent008(m): 11:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
lomaxx:

You think doctors are wicked because you are ignorant and emotionally clouded. Doctors have reasons for their actions and you cannot stupefy their decisions because it ended badly. I deeply sympathise with you but you and a lot of Nigerians must desist from this mentality.

Every pregnancy is a risk. Research has shown that there's necessarily no high risk pregnancy per se because pregnancies that have been termed high risk have gone to term without complications and vice versa. So understand that every pregnancy is a risk to the mother and the child.

Secondly, when you confirm a pregnancy you register for antenatal care at a health facility. Antenatal care is a very important continuous process. The woman is assigned a Doctor who has a documentation of every event in a folder.

During labour, before the physician or midwives touches the woman, he or she reviews the antenatal care folder of the patient if indeed she had one. This is important. If during the course of pregnancy an important finding was discovered, instructions are made depending on what the issue is.

So a doctor asked you to take your wife to where she registered for antenatal care.

Another problem is you people don't listen to instructions. You just do what you like and wait to blame someone.

During an antenatal care consultation, the doctor always tells the woman about the danger signs of pregnancy. There is also the identification of someone in the family who will take decisions in case such a need arises. And finally the patient is told to rush to that facility in case. of emergency - not another facility.

Think of this. If you carried your wife to where she registered for antenatal care as was instructed initial, would your baby be alive today?
hey man nice view. Are u a Doc? u seem informed. if not a Doc abeg help me dey inform my fellow country men. imagine people will be bringing nasty "magician " complications to hospitals and expect prompt miracles. Doctors dey suffer for this country and I just pity them.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by bankybobo11: 11:51pm On Mar 23, 2016
daretodiffer:
It was for the above reasons I had to modify my post on another thread where a pregnant woman died outside the hospital.

Daretodiffer, my old Scottish nemesis
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by lomaxx: 11:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
EreluY:

[size=18pt]What happened to the Hippocratic oath taken when you were enrolled by the medical council? Or, this doesn't happen in Nigeria anymore?[/size]

Can you state the Hippocratic oath?

2 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Wowzer(m): 11:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
Op. There is no excuse why you couldn't stabilize your patient before referral. Knowing she was actively bleeding. Even if you were not giving full treatment.

Because patients refuse to pay is not an excuse for not stabilizing your patient knowing she is high risk and actively bleeding. You got it wrong on this one.

If you keeping doing that you will have more blood on your hands.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by staymore: 11:59pm On Mar 23, 2016
lomaxx:

I never said doctors are wicked. Let me just respond to your last paragraph. Where we were was about 30minutes drive to where she registered without hold up, with hold can be hours. It was already an emergency, on sighting the nearest clinic where the doctor behaved that way, she was already bleeding seriously.

If you are a doctor you should know about placenta abruption or perhaps you google it.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by KweenSisan(f): 12:00am On Mar 24, 2016
Woaw..strange..difficult to believe..but i know u've said d truth.. it is well..do do what u have to do...its understood
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by HBB1(m): 12:02am On Mar 24, 2016
In Nigeria it's everyman for himself o!
Doctors in Osun are signing undertaking so their children won't be through out of school- are the school fees in millions such that they can't afford it?!
The average doctor I know was drilled to think 'my patient first' during Med. School training. The true state of things formats that ideology
Remember when an engineer was asking (mockingly) how much doctors earn and how he would earn five times whatever the salary was- yet you want him to be forming superhero? To feed his family what?
I personally know doctors who have died from exhaustion, nobody sees this, but when they demand their rights, they are vilified.
This country and society has no plans for anybody, when it does then we can start talking.

3 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by chinchum(m): 12:02am On Mar 24, 2016
Africans are poor planners, and most choose to pray where they ought to plan and then pray.

If a woman gets pregnant , which is a 9 months assignment, the husband ought to be aware at least 7 out of the 9 months and start preparation for eventualities on delivery day, which should include financial preparation, but many do not plan for complications, God forgive me if i am judgmental.

We barely plan for anything, we love to wing it, hoping for miracles and luck, but life do not operate 100% that way.

A man and a woman will keep churning babies they cant take good care of after birth, they spend loads of money to celebrate childbirth ceremony, and poverty stays as a vicious cycle within the family.
Parents and guardians sent their children and wards to learn a trade for years, big party is thrown by parents at freedom, but no plan by the parents to equip the child with the working tools to set up. Several examples abound. This shallow thinking spreads across the social strata though it is prevalent amongs the poor.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by staymore: 12:05am On Mar 24, 2016
eyinjuege:

Sorry about your loss, but I doubt the doctor refused you treatment just because he felt like. It might have been a case that he couldn't handle and had to refer you. There are specialties in medicine. I can't expect a cardiology center or renal center to accept a clear case of acute appendicitis

Thank you

The case was placenta abruption, I haven't heard of it until then. Maybe the doctor wasn't capable of handling it but his approach was unprofessional.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Nobody: 12:09am On Mar 24, 2016
idris4r83:
If accumulating wealth is what you are looking for after studying medicine then u are in for a ride. A medical degree can only make u sufficient but not rich.
I don't get
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by lomaxx: 12:12am On Mar 24, 2016
staymore:

I never said doctors are wicked. Let me just respond to your last paragraph. Where we were was about 30minutes drive to where she registered without hold up, with hold can be hours. It was already an emergency, on sighting the nearest clinic where the doctor behaved that way, she was already bleeding seriously.

If you are a doctor you should know about placenta abruption or perhaps you google it.

I know abruptio.

I'm sure that doctor had a good reason to refer.

8months pregnancy is not term. It's still preterm. Did this hospital have adequate facilities to take care of preterm neonates? If they didn't, do you think he had a good reason to refer?

What if he delivered the baby, resuscitated and then cannot manage the premmie?

Every pregnancy is a risk and anything can happen. It is advised that if you can register your pregnancy in two facilities - the one you want to, and the one closer to you. If the facility you have is closer to you, then no problem.

I'm. sorry for your loss. Doctors are different everywhere. There are some that choose the safe road. There are others that undertake risks in a 50-50 situation. The case with Nigeria is if you take a risk and it doesn't work well, the patient will nail you for it. Sometimes, legally. And when it happens, the question that would be asked would be:

"Dr XYZ, when you realised from your assessment that this was beyond you, did you refer? "

4 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by HBB1(m): 12:17am On Mar 24, 2016
staymore:

It could have been abruptio placenta, it could have been placenta previa. No doctor in private practice likes taking cases that will go south! Moreso you weren't booked with him. If anything happens patients will never understand it wasn't the doctors fault. Still smarting remembering a sufferer of polio attribute her paralysis (in both legs) to the antimalarial injection she had- and she said this on national TV (WWTBAM). Let's thank God your wife survived

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Jouslaw(m): 12:17am On Mar 24, 2016
I think you need a legal binding form for them to sign....

If they sign, no more review or beg.
You need to ask them pay at the cashier and not to you.

Give the cashier price, to give them after they agree or baggin at that time fix that and seal the price after agreement and legal acceptance...

That's all
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by nostimi4u(m): 12:22am On Mar 24, 2016
Uhhhmmmm; such a dilemma. She has a point though & I seriously feel her pains. It's jst the self consciences am more concerned abut. Becuss it might be easy to say that those who die due to ur judgment bloods are not on your hands. But deep inside of u will ur conscience be clear? Deep for thoughts
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by abeniagbon(m): 12:26am On Mar 24, 2016
sofadj:
I own a hospital in Southwest- (not Osun state Nigeria ...lol). I currently have about 17 patients on my ward each of whom I have admitted at several occasions through emergency. None of these patients has paid upto 30% of his/her bill. Some of them have stayed upto 7 weeks on the ward. I admitted and attended to them based on the fact that their conditions were life-threatening as at the time they came. I made their bill known to them - and they signed before they were treated. But there is a common trend, as soon as they felt relief and became stable they pleaded for their bills to be reduced - this I vehemently refused.

About 4 weeks ago a woman was rushed in with Eclampsia having just convulsed while pregnant and she was unconscious. I promptly took her straight to the theatre without collecting a dime though i had informed the relatives of the charges - #120,000 for her operation and medications. They signed and I carried out the surgery succesfully. Mother and baby survived. Within the following 6-days they paid a total sum of #12,000 and they began pleading to go home for the child's christening ceremony. I looked at them with disdain. Till now, they have only managed to pay a total sum of #14,000.

Another man who was managed for strangulated hernia has only paid 20,000 out of 75,000 bill. And the list goes on. Their failure to pay has made it difficult for the hospital to replace consumables and medications needed to manage other people's condition.
In the early hours of today 1:30am, a woman was rushed into the hospital following delivery at the referrral center. Blood had refused to stop gushing out. I did a quick assesment and realised she would need more materials than the hospital pharmacy currently had in store. I could have my staff get from a nearby pharmacy too. However, the husband said he had no money on him and so did the numerous relatives that accompanied. It was indeed a familiar pattern. I decided to let them go. I referred her to a government hospital. Ofcourse they pleaded for me to help but there was nothing I could do. Few minutes after they left - just few metres from my hospital gate, she collapsed. She had lost a lot of blood. I rushed there and rigorously tried resuscitating her right there outside the hospital 2am early morning, but all efforts proved abortive. A young woman of 28years had just died after having her first baby. Screams, wails, cries ensued. I felt bad - this is not why i became a doctor. But her blood is not on my hands.

Her blood is on the hands and heads of all the patients on the ward who can afford to pay but refused to - on the grounds that - "What will they do?. Her blood is on the hands and heads of the government officials past and present who have made it difficult and impossible for workers to get paid for their work. But the government officials are not the target of this my narrat. It is aimed at those who take hospital healthcare and medical doctors for granted. Those (including myself) who emphasise that doctors should not put money first before treating emergency conditions. In emergency cases, relatives would go to any length through any struggle to get money. As soon as the situation becomes calm, they relax and then they refuse to pay.

Last year a distant relative of mine was delivered of her baby via Caesearian section (in a hospital in Lagos- not mine). They were billed #180,000 which they accepted before the operation. After the surgery, her husband called me and asked how much I charge and i told him. He then began pleading with the management of the said hospital to review his bill. They declined. The husband being who he is, paid #120,000 and absconded with his wife and his newly born son. How he did this, I do not know, but i know that at the christening ceremony a week later, he had two cows slaughtered to celebrate the birth of his first son.

Many times we complain of doctors who ask for charges before treating patients but no one has ever bothered to ask the doctors why they do? Doctors are humans too, we need to pay bills. This is our trade, our profession, our means of livelihood. We have needs too. We can not go to the market place with the ID showing that we're doctors and hope to get food items on credit. We need to pay our children's school fees, we need clothes , shelter etc just as you. Everywhere in the world healthcare is expensive, both services and materials are exepensive. Well we understand that you may not have money. The government should find a way. The government should find a way/policy that ensures that we get our money back after we have rendered our service. In the UK there is the National Health Scheme, in the United states they have health insurance schemes too in addition to Medicare, Medicaid. In Nigeria we have the barely effective, poorly regulated and massively corrupt National Health Insurance Scheme.

Well i have decided to change the modus operandi of my institution. The previous one has not benefitted anybody. Henceforth if any one comes to my emergency room without a dime. I will not attend to. If such a person dies, the blood is not on my hands, its on the hands of those who have received treatment in the past and failed to pay afterwards.

Like say I have an hosiptal I will just ask you to come and manage it for me.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by staymore: 12:27am On Mar 24, 2016
lomaxx:

I know abruptio.

8months pregnancy is not term. It's still preterm. Did this hospital have adequate facilities to take care of preterm neonates? If they didn't, do you think he had a good reason to refer?

Every pregnancy is a risk and anything can happen. It is advised that if you can register your pregnancy in two facilities - the one you want to, and the one closer to you. If the facility you have is closer to you, then no problem.

I'm. sorry for your loss. Doctors are different everywhere. There are some that choose the safe road. There are others that undertake risks in a 50-50 situation. The case with Nigeria is if you take a risk and it doesn't work well, the patient will nail you for it. Sometimes, legally. And when it happens, the question that would be asked would be:

"Dr XYZ, when you realised from your assessment that this was beyond you, did you refer? "

I wouldn't know if the hospital has preterm neonates. He may have a good reason to refer but he must have communicated unprofessionally. Belief me, I know what I saw. Just a minutes explanation or advice would have been ok, than you didn't register here, go back to where you registered and walk out of you.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by staymore: 12:29am On Mar 24, 2016
HBB1:

It could have been abruptio placenta, it could have been placenta previa. No doctor in private practice likes taking cases that will go south! Moreso you weren't booked with him. If anything happens patients will never understand it wasn't the doctors fault. Still smarting remembering a sufferer of polio attribute her paralysis (in both legs) to the antimalarial injection she had- and she said this on national TV (WWTBAM). Let's thank God your wife survived

I'm always so thankful to God she survived.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by eyinjuege: 12:30am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

[size=18pt]What happened to the Hippocratic oath taken when you were enrolled by the medical council? Or, this doesn't happen in Nigeria anymore?[/size]

Can you please educate us on the Hippocratic oath?
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Nobody: 12:30am On Mar 24, 2016
bankybobo11:

Daretodiffer, my old Scottish nemesis

What have I done now?
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by lomaxx: 12:33am On Mar 24, 2016
staymore:

I wouldn't know if the hospital has preterm neonates. He may have a good reason to refer but he must have communicated unprofessionally. Belief me, I know what I saw. Just a minutes explanation or advice would have been ok, than you didn't register here, go back to where you registered and walk out of you.

Sorry man.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Lagusta(m): 12:43am On Mar 24, 2016
lomaxx:

I know abruptio.

There is nothing better than choosing the safe road bro.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Who Was Pregnant For 3 Years Finally Gives Birth. Photos / Bride-to-be Develops Vitiligo (skin Disorder) Months Before Her Wedding (Photos) / Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.