Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,050 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times (1751 Views)

Osinbajo Delivering A Speech At The Financial Times Africa Summit / Buhari Has Practically Done Nothing To Grow Nigeria’s Economy - Financial Times / Dead Or Alive Buhari Makes No Difference - Financial Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by NavierStokes(m): 7:23am On Mar 24, 2016

As Nigeria’s fiscal situation continues to deteriorate and the gulf between the official and black market currency rates yawns ever wider, the finance ministry is trying to cut costs wherever it can.

The latest target: government travel.

There is good reason for this focus. According to figures released by the ministry, travel was the single biggest government line item from 2012 to 2014, at N248bn ($1.25bn) for the three years combined (the ministry did not provide annual figures). This is equivalent to an extraordinary 18 per cent of total government spending.

The finance ministry reckons it can shave N4bn a year from travel costs by negotiating discounted airfares with carriers, or just under 5 per cent of the approximately N85bn yearly average.

“The Efficiency Unit has engaged in negotiation discussions with local and international airlines for discounts commensurate with the large number of ticket purchases made by government annually,” the ministry said in a statement.

“The savings generated will increase funding available to the government for capital investment,” it added.

Unfortunately these savings are a drop in the ocean. The country is staring at a budget deficit that is set to double to N2.2tn in 2016.

Falling oil prices have battered the economy of Africa’s largest oil producer while the government’s refusal to let the naira devalue has eaten away at foreign reserves and caused black market exchange rates to rocket.

NIGERIA’S PUBLIC FINANCES: IN DEEP WATER

Year Fiscal deficit, % of GDP

2014 1.24%
2015 0.79%
2016 2.16%*
Sources: World Bank, Reuters *estimate

According to President Muhammadu Buhari, the country will borrow up to $4.5bn on foreign markets this year to plug the gap. In January, it approached the World Bank and the African Development Bank for a $3.5bn emergency loan.

The high cost of travel for government officials is unsurprising. The Nigerian elite has a taste for luxury travel, shown by the proliferation of private jets in the country.

A 2012 investigation by Nigerian newspaper Punch found that wealthy Nigerians spent $6.5bn on private planes between 2007 and 2012, making the country the biggest market for them in Africa.

Not all of them were bought with private funds. Under former president Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s Presidential Air Fleet (PAF) acquired several new private jets, bringing its total to 11.

According to the UN, 46 per cent of Nigerians live in poverty, rising to 70 per cent in rural areas.

It is not clear whether the finance ministry’s targeted savings will address the lavish amounts spent on private jets by officials. The ministry did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

The PAF is financed from the defence budget and overseen by the Air Force. President Buhari has faced criticism for failing to cut down the fleet more than a year after he took office.

The revelation that the presidential fleet cost N5.8bn to staff and maintain in the first six months of his administration caused a furore in the national media.

The governors of Nigeria’s 36 federal states are not known to fly commercial, either.

Under former governor Rotimi Amaechi, the oil rich southern Delta state, for example, owned two private jets including a brand new $50m Bombardier jet purchased in 2012, and operated several helicopters.

Mr Amaechi is now Nigeria’s transport minister.

The cost of operating private planes is high. PrivateFly, a UK-based charter service, estimates fixed costs for a medium-sized private jet at around $1.8m a year.

“The biggest cost is the depreciation of the aircraft itself,” says CEO Adam Twidell.

He estimates that aircraft lose 20 per cent of their market value in their first year and 10 per cent yearly thereafter. Crew, engineers, maintenance, taxes and fees also factor in.

Many large companies and governments avoid such high costs altogether. Oil company BP, for instance, relies entirely on charter contracts. JCB, the world’s third largest equipment manufacturer by volume, has a single long range aircraft.

Mr Twidell estimates that three to five aircraft would suffice to service the entire UK government and royal family’s travel needs.

If Nigeria’s finance ministry is serious about cutting costs, targeting the government elite’s private air fleets might be a good place to start.

https://next.ft.com/international#axzz43iTcpSYH

I recall certain aircrafts that were supposed to be converted to a certain airline.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by PassingShot(m): 7:25am On Mar 24, 2016
I will like to know why PMB has not even reduced the PAF to something like 5 or 6 at the most. This is a low for his administration.

Wailing Zombies, when you quote me, make sure you make sense with your post.

moxter:
Unfortunately no one can seperate Baba and travelling... So let the high life continue
Baba's traveling makes much more sense than GEJ's who always had hundreds of associates in his entourage as if they were always going for carnival.

PMB's ten journeys will not still cost as much as GEJ's one trip.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by SleekMallam: 7:25am On Mar 24, 2016
Mr Buhari alone spends approximately 12 billion naira annually to maintain his luxurious traveling addiction excluding $1 million for hotels per trip. By 2019, it must have cost taxpayers a whooping 48 billion naira on travelling expenses. for Mr Buhari.

Now when you factor in Mr Buhari feeding allowances which on official record is pegged at 1.7 billion naira per annum, that's 6.8 billion naira by 2019! In essence, it would cost the nation 116 billion naira to foot buhari travelling expenses and food! Yet, we are daily getting slaughtered in our sleep by the fulani and Buhari looks the other way.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by delishpot: 7:26am On Mar 24, 2016
High rollers of Nigeria
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 24, 2016
Unfortunately no one can seperate Baba and travelling... So let the high life continue
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by M4gunners: 7:35am On Mar 24, 2016
I smell something, they are about to blame GEJ again.
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by luvinhubby(m): 7:36am On Mar 24, 2016
As if Buhari will care to listen.

Around the world in 80 300 days - By M. Buhari.
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by princemillla(m): 7:36am On Mar 24, 2016
Atleast the 5% is something, it will play a part in watever it will be channel into. That's a plus for kemi Adeosun.

This administration will work, but proactive measures are needed from the number one citizens to the least.

Nigeria shall rise beyond befor
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by omoplaycool(m): 7:40am On Mar 24, 2016
God help us. Government for the people... Really?
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by PassingShot(m): 7:41am On Mar 24, 2016
moxter:
Baba's traveling makes much more sense than GEJ's who always had hundreds of associates in his entourage as if they were always going for carnival.

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by baralatie(m): 7:42am On Mar 24, 2016
Hmmmm!
To reduce 11 fleet to 4 to service the presidency!
Looks good theoritically but it has an fish.....
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by chukwukadibia10: 7:42am On Mar 24, 2016
I see no changes>>>>>>> In Tupac's voice
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by bonechamberlain(m): 7:44am On Mar 24, 2016
useless leaders, angry
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by lilprinze: 7:55am On Mar 24, 2016
God why is this country cursed with useless and clueless leaders?
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 24, 2016
PassingShot:

Can you give me three benefits of baba's tour to about 20 countries in 10 months Nigerian sir?...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by Pangea: 7:59am On Mar 24, 2016
We Know That Nigeria is Animal Farm!

God bless Prophet Fela!
The only true prophet from Nigeria, he prophesied all these in Beasts of No Nation/;

Fela, wetin you go sing about?
DEM GO WORRY ME
Dem go worry me, worry me-- worry, worry, worry, worry

The time weh I dey, for prison, I call am "inside world"
The time weh I dey outside prison, I call am "outside world"
Na craze world, na be outside world

CRAZE** WORLD *(after each line) / **(crazy)
Na be outside- da police-i dey
Na be outside- da soldier dey
Na be outside- da court dem dey
Na be outside- da magistrate dey
Na be outside- da judge dem dey
Na craze world be dat
Na be outside- Buhari dey
Na craze man be dat
Animal in craze-man skin-i
Na craze world be dat
Na be outside- Idia-gbon dey
Na craze man be dat- oh
Animal in craze-man skin-i
Na craze world be dat
Na be outside- dem find me guilty
Na be outside- dem jail me five years
------------------I no do nothing
Na be outside-dem judge dey beg ee-o
Na craze world be dat, Na craze world be dat
Na be outside- dem kill dem students
Soweto, Zaria, and Ife
Na craze world be dat, ee-oh
Na craze world be dat,
Na be outside- all dis dey happen
Na craze world be dat, ee-oh.....

Make you hear this one
War against indiscipline, ee-oh

Na Nigerian government, ee-oh
Dem dey talk ee-oh
"My people are us-e-less, My people are sens-i-less, My people are indiscipline"

Dem dey talk be dat
"My people are us-e-less, My people are sens-i-less, My people are indiscipline"

I never hear dat before- oh
Make Government talk, ee-oh

Dem dey talk be dat
Which kind talk be dat- oh?
Craze talk be dat ee-oh
Na animal talk be dat – oh
Na animal talk be dat – oh

MANY LEADERS AS YOU SEE DEM
NA DIFFERENT DISGUISE DEM DEY-OH
ANIMALS IN HUMAN SKIN
ANIMAL-I PUT-U TIE-OH
ANIMAL-I WEAR AGBADA
ANIMAL-I PUT-U SUIT-U
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by obailala(m): 8:16am On Mar 24, 2016
SleekMallam:
Mr Buhari alone spends approximately 12 billion naira annually to maintain his luxurious traveling addiction. By 2019, it must have cost taxpayers a whooping 48 billion naira on travelling expenses. for Mr Buhari.

Now when you factor in Mr Buhari feeding allowances which on official record is pegged at 1.7 billion naira per annum, that's 6.8 billion naira by 2019! In essence, it would cost the nation 116 billion naira to foot buhari travelling expenses and food! Yet, we are daily getting slaughtered in our sleep by the fulani and Buhari looks the other way.
1.7 billion for feeding allowance?

This is how you spot the desperate wailers, they keep feigning ignorance so as to have what to say. Or who knows, maybe they might actually just be as ignorant as they appear to be.
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by SleekMallam: 8:19am On Mar 24, 2016
moxter:
Can you give me three benefits of baba's tour to about 20 countries in 10 months Nigerian sir?...
1. Stabilised oil price at $40 per barrel.

2. Signed MOU with UAE.

3. A failed attempt to negotiate critical loan from world bank and IMF.
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by SleekMallam: 8:38am On Mar 24, 2016
obailala:
1.7 billion for feeding allowance?

This is how you spot the desperate wailers, they keep feigning ignorance so as to have what to say. Or who knows, maybe they might actually just be as ignorant as they appear to be.
http://www.elombah.com/index.php/special-reports/3693-budget-2016-buhari-s-feeding-to-cost-5-million-naira-daily
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 24, 2016
SleekMallam:

2. Signed MOU with UAE.

Wow!!! More fuel to his jet then!
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by SleekMallam: 8:45am On Mar 24, 2016
moxter:
Wow!!! More fuel to his jet then!
He deserves more encouragement to travel more often after spending 6 billion naira so far on travels excluding hotel bookings of $1million per trip.
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:45am On Mar 24, 2016
Feeding allowance need to be increased not reduced! You know why? The cost of food in the market is now high.... Abeg pity madam Ayisat and the lover of her rice now

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by obailala(m): 8:50am On Mar 24, 2016
SleekMallam:

http://www.elombah.com/index.php/special-reports/3693-budget-2016-buhari-s-feeding-to-cost-5-million-naira-daily
Your ignorance is unparallelled. The copy of the real budget has been in circulation for over 3months, even primary school pupils have access to it and know what's contained in it. But here you are, showing me link to elombah; in other words, elombah is your own budget document.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 24, 2016
SleekMallam:

He deserves more encouragement to travel more often after spending 6 billion naira so far on travels excluding hotel bookings of $1million per trip.
Sure now.... Infact lemme start the encouragement..... Go Buhari Go Buhari Go Buhari Go Buhari Go Buhari Go Buhari Go Buhari....... Abeg join me now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by maasoap(m): 9:05am On Mar 24, 2016
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by maasoap(m): 9:08am On Mar 24, 2016
SleekMallam:

2. Signed MOU with UAE.

Resumption of Nigerian military training in the USA
Increased bought volume of Nigeria oil by USA.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by SleekMallam: 9:12am On Mar 24, 2016
obailala:
Your ignorance is unparallelled. The copy of the real budget has been in circulation for over 3months, even primary school pupils have access to it and know what's contained in it. But here you are, showing me link to elombah; in other words, elombah is your own budget document.
Is it too hard to present all evidences to support your case? show me your own budget.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by anonimi: 9:14am On Mar 24, 2016
PassingShot:

Bloody LIAR.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3110645_fbimg1448076237755_jpegb81705f215df4cf84b2646faec06a206

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2013/12/29/2014-fg-maintain-presidential-jets-n152bn-punch
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by obailala(m): 9:48am On Mar 24, 2016
SleekMallam:

Is it too hard to present all evidences to support your case? show me your own budget.
I am not going to show you any evidence; for someone who has access to the internet but chooses to be uninformed on even the most basic facts about a forgotten topic, I wouldnt expend a single iota of my energy educating you cos there's absolutely no need for that. I would gladly leave you to wallow in your ignorance but if you really need the right info, google is your friend.
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by SleekMallam: 9:54am On Mar 24, 2016
obailala:
I am not going to show you any evidence; for someone who has access to the internet but chooses to be uninformed on even the most basic facts about a forgotten topic, I wouldnt expend a single iota of my energy educating you cos there's absolutely no need for that. I would gladly leave you to wallow in your ignorance but if you really need the right info, google is your friend.
You should be charged with withholding evidence. You mean the 2016 budget is been studied in primary schools?
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by obailala(m): 10:40am On Mar 24, 2016
SleekMallam:

You should be charged with withholding evidence. You mean the 2016 budget is been studied in primary schools?
Oh yes, the budget has since been made public and anyone with access to the internet can have access to it. Strangely you chose to obtain your info on the publicly available budget from the gossip peddled by a gossip website, a gossip which was made even before the budget was released. And while the peddlers of that falsehood have since been put to shame, have been shut up and have since moved to other propaganda, someone (you) wakes up in March 2016 and is basing his argument on a long forgotten and long debunked piece of misinformation. I should have told you 'good morning' but obviously, you are still sleeping. undecided grin
Re: Nigeria’s Government: Living The High Life - Financial Times by SleekMallam: 11:05am On Mar 24, 2016
obailala:
Oh yes, the budget has since been made public and anyone with access to the internet can have access to it. Strangely you chose to obtain your info on the publicly available budget from the gossip peddled by a gossip website, a gossip which was made even before the budget was released. And while the peddlers of that falsehood have since been put to shame, have been shut up and have since moved to other propaganda, someone (you) wakes up in March 2016 and is basing his argument on a long forgotten and long debunked piece of misinformation. I should have told you 'good morning' but obviously, you are still sleeping. undecided grin
Na woah for my fellow country man. You said the info is readily available in the public domain and I went to public domain and got one then you said it's fake and doctored. I ask you to provide the original and you again say it's in the public domain for anyone with access to internet! Is this your original budget occult?

Which address of a primary school where it is been taught so I can visit and access from there?

(1) (2) (Reply)

King Bubu: A Coward-in-chief? (from Acts Of King Bubu Son Of Hari Chapter 21) / If Chief OJO MADUEKWE Would Attend His Own Funeral Today: A Tribute To Ojo / Breakdown Of Amount Released For Capital Projects To Ministries In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.