Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo (55084 Views)

Pastor Sam Adeyemi Graduates With A Phd From Regent University, US (Photos) / Bishop Oyedepo's Sons And Son-in-law Rock Agbada To Faith Oyedepo 60th Birthday / 5 Reasons Why Having Faith Is So Important (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Chinekepikin: 2:10pm On Mar 24, 2016
– Bishop Oyedepo has said that a doctorate degree is only but paper, except the knowledge acquired is used to impact lives

– The founder of Winners chapel made the disclosure to some PhD graduates of Covenant University in Ota, Ogun state

– Oyedepo lamented over the numerous situations in which those certified with PhDs, have little or nothing to offer

– The bishop promised to fund projects carried out by few PhD graduates of Covenant University (CU)

David Oyedepo, the presiding Bishop and founder of Living Faith Church worldwide, has said that an inability to identify problems and solve them, renders every PhD degree useless.

While addressing few PhD graduates of the Covenant University (CU) in Ota, Ogun state, Oyedepo urged people to come up with innovations that can solve problems plaguing the society.

The Chancellor, told them their inability to do so would mean their research programme was useless.

Bishop Oyedepo promised to make funds available to them to identify problems and find solutions.

Spoke at a meeting with the young scholars, Oyedepo said Nigeria has been unable to address its challenges because of a lack of capacity to get the job done.

He decried situation in which PhD holders seemingly lacked the thinking capacity.

He said: “I have come to provoke your potential. There is more inside you than the earned certificate. If you cannot think out solutions to problems, your PhD is a complete waste.

“When we say Doctor of Philosophy, we are saying master of thinkers; someone committed to finding solution to life’s problems. And until our learning translates to thinking, our PhD is zero.

“All that we have done going through the rigour of PhD is to ignite our thinking capacity. It’s so important that we have what it takes to recreate our country and the world.

” Hinting that Nigeria has more PhDs than four European countries, Oyedepo wondered why Nigeria was not getting similar result as the Europeans.

“The gas turbine (at CU) was not working because Shell was on strike. So why can’t students of Chemical Engineering build reserves? Why do we look at problems as if we are not concerned?”

Oyedepo said the scholars must learn to management themselves, time and task, to be able to provide solutions to problems.

He noted that the scholars must learn to manage themselves, for qualitative production.

Meanwhile, Oyedepo has challenged the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari to proffer solutions to the socio-economic challenges facing Nigeria rather than blaming any political party or individual for the current travails facing the nation.

He also urged President Muhammadu Buhari to be more sensitive to issues that affect ordinary Nigerians.

https://www.naij.com/775845-why-having-a-phd-is-a-waste-bishop-oyedepo.html

90 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by lionson(m): 2:30pm On Mar 24, 2016
Well said my Bishop.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by boboLIL(m): 2:33pm On Mar 24, 2016
Bless me oh God

6 Likes

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by baralatie(m): 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2016
lionson:
Well said my Bishop.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 24, 2016
spot on sir

14 Likes

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Enouwem(m): 2:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
It's ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by SleekMallam: 2:40pm On Mar 24, 2016
So Oyedepo offers philosophy in CU and they are not able to out think the god of man?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by benzion72(m): 3:22pm On Mar 24, 2016
Chisos!!!

Nigeria has more Phd holder that Germany, France, United kingdom and Belgium. That is a serious matter and we are yet where we are, no light, no good roads, no fuel. We need to recertify this Phd's abi na Oluwole Phd's

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by ekeneidiagbor: 3:29pm On Mar 24, 2016
Nigeria has more Phd than four European countries. but the things is na all Phd be PhD?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Larryhoover(m): 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2016
I think we should start reversing the degree from the awardees if they can not proffer a solution to the problem Nigeria is facing starting with the former president and down the chain of command
DR. GEJ
DR. Mama Peace
DR. NOI
DR. Alison Madueke

Then Nigerian Lecturers that could hardly defend their thesis.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by olapluto(m): 3:34pm On Mar 24, 2016
First time in my life I am agreeing with Mr Oyedepo the slapper of witch.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Larryhoover(m): 3:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
BDO...are u saying you can't attest to the degree awarded by your institution until the candidate proves his/her self

OR

You mean most of the awardees are incompetent from your perception until they prove otherwise?

1 Like

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
Nigeria is a silly joke

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by laribari(m): 3:49pm On Mar 24, 2016
ekeneidiagbor:
Nigeria has more Phd than four European countries.
but the things is na all Phd be PhD?

I can't help but laugh grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by rhoma: 3:52pm On Mar 24, 2016
This is why i always ask my mum nd dad why being the best in everything is that important. I do only what i love perfectly thats it

4 Likes

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by chigoizie7(m): 3:58pm On Mar 24, 2016
I didn't read all that. He even went too far sef,

Acquiring an Msc is also a waste of time.

What are u mastering?

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by vooks: 4:35pm On Mar 24, 2016
It is true but not just education but EVERY human endeavor

1 Like

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Cutehector(m): 4:39pm On Mar 24, 2016
And also being a Pastor and a general overseer is a waste if he can't make heaven! cool

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by shitulawuwo: 4:39pm On Mar 24, 2016
Pastor with all due respect go and bafff for talking this trash

2 Likes

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Nobody: 4:40pm On Mar 24, 2016
K
Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Guyman02: 4:40pm On Mar 24, 2016
Prof. Abioye Isaac

“Academic excellence is overrated! Did I just say that? Oh, yes, I said it.
Being top of your class does not necessarily guarantee that you will be at the top of life.
You could graduate as the best student in Finance but it doesn’t mean you will make more money than everybody else.
The best graduating Law student does not necessarily become the best lawyer.
The fact is life requires more than the ability to understand a concept, memorize it and reproduce it in an exam.
School rewards people for their memory. Life rewards people for their imagination.
School rewards caution, life rewards daring.
School hails those who live by the rules. Life exalts those who break the rules and set new ones. So do I mean people shouldn’t study hard in school? Oh, no, you should. But don’t sacrifice every other thing on the altar of First Class. Don’t limit yourself to the classroom. Do something practical.

Take a leadership position.

Start a business and fail. That’s a better Entrepreneurship 101.

Join or start a club.

Contest an election and lose. It will teach something Political Science 101 will not teach you.

Attend a seminar.

Read books outside the scope of your course.

Go on missions and win a soul for eternal rewards…
Do something you believe in!

Think less of becoming an excellent student but think more of becoming an excellent person. Make the world ur classroom!”

213 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Dee60: 4:40pm On Mar 24, 2016
Spot on.

Truly great men create solutions and not problems to society.

3 Likes

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by BIGTinfotech: 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
Lol
Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
undecided
Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by shamecurls(m): 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
Chai!

This man is indirectly referring to someone o.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by free2ryhme: 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
Chinekepikin:
– Bishop Oyedepo has said that a doctorate degree is only but paper, except the knowledge acquired is used to impact lives

– The founder of Winners chapel made the disclosure to some PhD graduates of Covenant University in Ota, Ogun state

– Oyedepo lamented over the numerous situations in which those certified with PhDs, have little or nothing to offer

– The bishop promised to fund projects carried out by few PhD graduates of Covenant University (CU)

David Oyedepo, the presiding Bishop and founder of Living Faith Church worldwide, has said that an inability to identify problems and solve them, renders every PhD degree useless.

While addressing few PhD graduates of the Covenant University (CU) in Ota, Ogun state, Oyedepo urged people to come up with innovations that can solve problems plaguing the society.

The Chancellor, told them their inability to do so would mean their research programme was useless.

Bishop Oyedepo promised to make funds available to them to identify problems and find solutions.

Spoke at a meeting with the young scholars, Oyedepo said Nigeria has been unable to address its challenges because of a lack of capacity to get the job done.

He decried situation in which PhD holders seemingly lacked the thinking capacity.

He said: “I have come to provoke your potential. There is more inside you than the earned certificate. If you cannot think out solutions to problems, your PhD is a complete waste.

“When we say Doctor of Philosophy, we are saying master of thinkers; someone committed to finding solution to life’s problems. And until our learning translates to thinking, our PhD is zero.

“All that we have done going through the rigour of PhD is to ignite our thinking capacity. It’s so important that we have what it takes to recreate our country and the world.

” Hinting that Nigeria has more PhDs than four European countries, Oyedepo wondered why Nigeria was not getting similar result as the Europeans.

“The gas turbine (at CU) was not working because Shell was on strike. So why can’t students of Chemical Engineering build reserves? Why do we look at problems as if we are not concerned?”

Oyedepo said the scholars must learn to management themselves, time and task, to be able to provide solutions to problems.

He noted that the scholars must learn to manage themselves, for qualitative production.

Meanwhile, Oyedepo has challenged the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari to proffer solutions to the socio-economic challenges facing Nigeria rather than blaming any political party or individual for the current travails facing the nation.

He also urged President Muhammadu Buhari to be more sensitive to issues that affect ordinary Nigerians.

https://www.naij.com/775845-why-having-a-phd-is-a-waste-bishop-oyedepo.html

and yet he offered PHd in the school not for free

na today

2 Likes

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by seunny4lif(m): 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
grin grin
Yes
Everybody na PhD holder for Nigeria but looking for 50k job grin cheesy
Dats how one yeye prof in computer engineering came to my office dats his computer has broken down grin
I bill am very well
Na dat time he come dey tell me how he is a prof in Computer Engineer and how he can fix the problem by himself grin
I just gave him chair and all the tools grin
I tell am say I no be him student ,so no misbehave here grin
The man later pay 2× of wetin I bill before cos I say I no dey do again
benzion72:

Chisos!!!

Nigeria has more Phd holder that Germany, France, United kingdom and Belgium. That is a serious matter and we are yet where we are, no light, no good roads, no fuel. We need to recertify this Phd's abi na Oluwole Phd's

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Segadem(m): 4:42pm On Mar 24, 2016
hmmmm, ok
Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:42pm On Mar 24, 2016
shitulawuwo:
Pastor with all due respect go and bafff for talking this trash
will you say that to your imam? Be truthful..

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2016
Is true...
Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by dunkem21(m): 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2016
I agree totally ..

..Even WASC grin
Re: Why Having A Phd Is A Waste – Bishop Oyedepo by selfdefence: 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2016
please dont let GEJ hear you o

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo Acquires Yet Another N4.5b Private Jet / ''Why We Transferred Father Mbaka'' — Catholic Church / Oyedepo Reacts To Femi Adesina's "Giving Land For Ranching Is Better Than Death"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.