Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? (3791 Views)

Can Someone Help Me Explain This Code Line? / Pls I Need Interview Question For AI Sweigart / Programming Interview Question: Invert A Binary Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by APHATHEOLOGY(m): 8:07am On Mar 26, 2016
To get a job at Google is not easy as you think it may be.

Here is one of those questions that are really hard to answer when on the hot seat.

HOW WOULD YOU EXPLAIN DATABASE TO A 5-YEAR OLD CHILD?

Post your answers via http://nct.com.ng/Thread-How-Would-You-Explain-Database-to-a-5-Years-Old-Child

Source: Naija Coders Team (NCT) www.nct.com.ng

Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by vicstar(m): 8:21am On Mar 26, 2016
database is like your brain were things are stored undecided lalasticlacla come give your own explanation ASAP
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:45am On Mar 26, 2016
Database is like a Candy Jar. You take different kinds of candy and put into that jar and anytime you need a particular kind, say a chocolate bar,you go to that Jar and take it, Only if you, or someone else has put it there before.

Did I get the job?! grin

Yes I did grin

2 Likes

Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by MrScript(m): 8:52am On Mar 26, 2016
Just like Excel, consist of rows and columns
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by Fulaman198(m): 9:28am On Mar 26, 2016
A Database is like a bank where you store different kinds of money for different kinds of people.
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by incredible6(m): 12:52am On Mar 27, 2016
Me: boy where do you keep ur cloth and shoe
Boy: inside my room

Me: a database is like your room, the reason why you have a room is to 1.sleep 2. Keep up things.
Me: so I want you to leave the part of sleeping let's only discuss about keeping things
Boy: yes

Me: Good boy!
Me: so if you want to keep your cloth where would you put it ?
Boy: on my bed or floor
Me: that is wrong and your mummy won't allow, she would insist you put it in a wardrobe.. you mum is the software e.g oracle, therfore: you cannot put information anyhow into a database you have to create a databasetable(wardrobe)..
Boy: "ok"

Me: so different type of information are stored in it own databasetable e.g cloth in wardrobe, shoe in shoerack, money in safebox
Boy: I don't understand

Me: database = room (room will hold all the wardrobe where you will keep your things)
Database table = wardrobe (where you store your information(cloth)

Me: so for security purposes u can let someone into your room and not allow him enter your wardrobe or allow him into only one wardrobe.

Or you can just let him see the wardrobe information from a window and he can't enter..

E.g the database of nairaland. Seun allowed us into his room and also allowed us to put cloth in just one wardrobe.. and we can see other wardrobe e.g your friends post... but we can't touch that one..

5 Likes

Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by paranorman(m): 8:18am On Mar 27, 2016
incredible6:

Me: a database is like your room, the reason why you have a room is to 1.sleep 2. Keep up things.
Me: so I want you to leave the part of sleeping let's only discuss about keeping things

Me: that is wrong and your mummy won't allow, she would insist you put it in a wardrobe.. you mum is the software e.g oracle, therfore: you cannot put information anyhow into a database you have to create a databasetable(wardrobe)..

Me: so different type of information are stored in it own databasetable e.g cloth in wardrobe, shoe in shoerack, money in safebox

Me: database = room (room will hold all the wardrobe where you will keep your things)

Me: so for security purposes u can let someone into your room and not allow him enter your wardrobe or allow him into only one wardrobe.

Or you can just let him see the wardrobe information from a window and he can't enter..

E.g the database of nairaland. Seun allowed us into his room and also allowed us to put cloth in just one wardrobe.. and we can see other wardrobe e.g your friends post... but we can't touch that one..
best explanation so far.
Let's say the kids name is Benny.
Benny, think of a database as a collection of information.
You have a dog, don't you?
You feed the dog daily. Morning and evening.
You make sure it gets its meds at the right time.
Let's'ay you make it your habit to take note or record the time you feed your dog daily and what you feed it with, and what time you give it its meds, seperately of course.

So, think of the record as a database. A record for feeds, another one for meds.

Kids might ask, "what is the importance of having records"?!

Okay Benny. Say your dog you love so much ... Hey, what's its name anyway?.. ("Yella"wink... Say Yella falls sick, you take him to the Vet and Vet, during its diagnosis, askes you what you have been feeding it with and what drugs it has been taking?

"I'd just pull it off from the records!"

good thinking Benny. So, you see the importance of databases?

"yes."

as long as you can take note of anything, have a record for it e.t.c, you can make/create a database for it.
So Benny, what's a database?

"I think a database is something like a diary".

Good Beny, good! Think of it as an advance diary that lives in computers.

So, you can make many records for Yella: its feeds, its meds, places you take it for a walk to every evening, times it barks, times it growls e.t.c. So you name the database 'life of Yella!'

so, 'life of Yella' contains informations about Yella.

1 Like

Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by techthought: 10:05am On Mar 27, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
Database is like a Candy Jar. You take different kinds of candy and put into that jar and anytime you need a particular kind, say a chocolate bar,you go to that Jar and take it, Only if you, or someone else has put it there before.

Did I get the job?! grin

Yes I did grin

Great, nice and short. You may want to shed more light though.

incredible6:

Bros I tuale for you. You should be teaching kids computer science.

1 Like

Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by eDoc: 2:08pm On Mar 27, 2016
MrScript:
Just like Excel, consist of rows and columns

As a 5year old,uncle what is XL,i can't even pronoun rows and columns.

Remember that their vocabulary would be limited,the only row they might know,is the roll in the nusery rhyme ,of rolling a boat,columns ko,colony ni.

You try.
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by eDoc: 2:13pm On Mar 27, 2016
incredible6:

i think i would take this as the best for a beginning programmer,to long for a 5year old,
omo you even introduced oracle,take am easy.

1 Like

Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by eDoc: 2:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
paranorman:

best explanation so far.
Let's say the kids name is Benny.
Benny, think of a database as a collection of information.
You have a dog, don't you?
You feed the dog daily. Morning and evening.
You make sure it gets its meds at the right time.
Let's'ay you make it your habit to take note or record the time you feed your dog daily and what you feed it with, and what time you give it its meds, seperately of course.

So, think of the record as a database. A record for feeds, another one for meds.

Kids might ask, "what is the importance of having records"?!

Okay Benny. Say your dog you love so much ... Hey, what's its name anyway?.. ("Yella"wink... Say Yella falls sick, you take him to the Vet and Vet, during its diagnosis, askes you what you have been feeding it with and what drugs it has been taking?

"I'd just pull it off from the records!"

good thinking Benny. So, you see the importance of databases?

"yes."

as long as you can take note of anything, have a record for it e.t.c, you can make/create a database for it.
So Benny, what's a database?

"I think a database is something like a diary".

Good Beny, good! Think of it as an advance diary that lives in computers.

So, you can make many records for Yella: its feeds, its meds, places you take it for a walk to every evening, times it barks, times it growls e.t.c. So you name the database 'life of Yella!'

so, 'life of Yella' contains informations about Yella.

Still perfect for a beginning programmer,a 5year old can't be taking note at that age,you used database alot of time,diary,information,record,diagnosis,advanced,way to much for a 5.
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by paranorman(m): 5:24pm On Mar 27, 2016
Na so I go fail interview o.
I am even just tryna to place the intelligence of a 5y old o, esp Naija kid
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by veltany: 10:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
Interesting

Its like your school bag, you put in your books and pencils in them, to keep them safe.
And when you need them anytime, you take them from where you have kept them.
Database is like a school a bag, where computers keep their books and pencils, and in-fact, all properties it want to safe.
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by princenat(m): 6:32am On Mar 28, 2016
Bobby: Uncle, you mentioned database.
Me: You mean while I was on the phone?
Bobby: Yes
Me: You want to understand what a database is?
Bobby: Yes.
Me: That's my boy (Brings out a diary and hands it to Bobby)
Me: What is that thing on your hand?
Bobby: Uncle, it's a diary.
Me: Open it, what's inside of it?
Bobby: All I can see is written NAMES, ADDRESSES and PHONE NUMBERS
Me: Yes Bobby, A DATABASE IS A DIARY ON THE COMPUTER.
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by iamnaf(m): 10:08am On Mar 28, 2016
my submission.

you have a locker in your school, where you keep your book, pen and other properties. If you need anything, you take it from the locker. You are the computer and your locker is your database
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by APHATHEOLOGY(m): 6:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
princenat:
My most prefered, SHORT AND EASY-TO-UNDERSTAND for a 5-year old kid
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by Weezyval(m): 7:25pm On Mar 29, 2016
Me: u know your register in school, the one your aunty always use to come and call names in class?

junior: yes

Me:OK, all the classes have their own register (nursery one, nursery two...) which contains the information of each students in that class ( say Name, address, Guardian etc) each time a person wants to get information about a particular students he/she can just go to the class register and check for the students name. so a database is just like your school register in the computer
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by eDoc: 10:03pm On Mar 29, 2016
princenat:

Perfecto..................
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by eDoc: 10:03pm On Mar 29, 2016
Weezyval:
Me: u know your register in school, the one your aunty always use to come and call names in class?

Me:OK, all the classes have their own register (nursery one, nursery two...) which contains the information of each students in that class ( say Name, address, Guardian etc) each time a person wants to get information about a particular students he/she can just go to the class register and check for the students name. so a database is just like your school register in the computer

Nice one..
Re: Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? by tolu4you: 11:46am On Mar 31, 2016
Weezyval:

Best way to explain it to 5years old baby.... Nice one. This is what i wanted to say

(1) (Reply)

Fizzbuzz Problem Using "Switch" Statement Construct / Localhost Not Allowed To Connect To MySQL. Help!!!! / Urgent Help Needed On How To Save Fingerprint To Sql Using U Are U 4500 And Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.