Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,907 members, 7,821,146 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! (9507 Views)

Incredible! Banker Turns Plumber, Says “I Am Living My Dreams” / Lagos Banker Sacked For Tweeting About Hating His Job / Meet The Banker Who Turned To Puff Puff Seller In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Mexyz(m): 8:12am On Mar 31, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

You can take up the cibn exam for a start
Bros can I take the CIBN exams as an undergraduate?
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by scachy(m): 8:30am On Mar 31, 2016
First is stealing by tricks. Lol grin grin grin
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Stylz69(m): 8:38am On Mar 31, 2016
WoodcrestMayor:
I concur...

Consider yourself a banker when you work in the corporate bank unit,treasury department,Risk management and some other key units.Any other units and u are a bank worker.

You can handle the stress...I laff grin...maybe if you get placement in the east...Don't try Lagos.
Thank you! Some people fail to distinguish between bankers and bank workers. A guy will wear his suit and tie, call himself a banker, get to work, take of his suit and enter his booth and collect money, count and stamp. Bros... you are a bank worker. Banker ko...Ubanka ni

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by cbngov25: 8:46am On Mar 31, 2016
chuksp09:
I just graduated from a university in the east and preparing for my service year. i've got a plan for myself but it involves capital; working in a bank seems like a good way to get it. i think i can handle the stress but i have got no idea how the system works, so it would be a good help if Nairalanders could give me pointers on how to be at least relevant and indispensable in a banking environment. I studied finance by the way. I would appreciate ur help positive and otherwise.

NOTE: This could help a lot of young graduates, so Mods if u please, help push it up top grin grin grin

Oga banking ain't the way forward anymore... Salaries don't even meet the need anymore. Talking from present experience
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by ednut1(m): 9:08am On Mar 31, 2016
start practising shl,gmat nd interview jare. all u need to know will be explain at training school. look for graduate trainee positions nd stay away from contract staff jobs
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by bxcode(m): 9:09am On Mar 31, 2016
I've discovered that a lot of things that people call stress are actually birthed as a result of the type of lifestyle they live. There is no work that won't naturally demand a lot from you, but how you manage your little time will go a long way to determine if you will go through your job healthy or worn out. Bank job is stressful but people are in it and are living a happy and fulfilled life. It's not about what your job demands from you, it's about how you manage and respond to those demands. Some bankers close work around 6-7pm or thereabout but spend the next hours in bar and outdoor until the wee hours of the night. Why won't you be stressed? If you learn how to master your time and be in control of your 24hrs and only do things that ADDS VALUE to your future, by the grace of God you will stand anything that your job throws at you. But if you dabble into the general notion that a particular job is bad and so on.... then get ready to experience that imagination you have bought from others.

4 Likes

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by pofolo(m): 9:15am On Mar 31, 2016
mhhhhhnnn.
Be ready to compromise or stand still. if you are in marketing or customer base n account officer ( especially when given target ), you will definitely get sex proposals. if you allow 1, just know that many will follow, from bank staffs to customers. Especially if 1 super rich account holder get interest in you, then, even the bank go dey beg you to compromise .........
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 31, 2016
Mexyz:
Bros can I take the CIBN exams as an undergraduate?

Well from what I know, you can only take the exam if you have an ND.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Memyselfu2009(m): 9:54am On Mar 31, 2016
There are greater opportunities out there be innovative creative self employed and forget bank job
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Ramanto(m): 11:23am On Mar 31, 2016
Gadaffii:
Not everything you read about Banks on Nairaland is true. Most are written by people that never even got an opportunity to work in a Bank.

Also if you didn't finish woth a 2.1 Go and learn a trade like your brothers.

You will gey money that can raise that desired capital for you, but forget, your standard of living will also increase.
What if he finished with 2.1, what difference would it have made?
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 31, 2016
Ramanto:

What if he finished with 2.1, what difference would it have made?

He stands the opportunity of getting his Bank job. Most Banks call for 2.1 and above now.

1 Like

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by DGentle001: 12:29pm On Mar 31, 2016
Friends i need help now...
i had 3rd class Bsc honours am also aspiring to work in the bank, buh the man am supposed to work with asked me to go back for my bsc instead of pgd, saying that companies now consider your Bsc b4 taking you. Pls Kindly advice. do i take the pain and go back to make things right or do i continue with pgd to cover up my Bsc mistake.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Ramanto(m): 12:40pm On Mar 31, 2016
Gadaffii:

He stands the opportunity of getting his Bank job. Most Banks call for 2.1 and above now.
Now i understand your point. But it's not fair cosidering the figure of graduates with less than 2.1
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Ramanto(m): 12:45pm On Mar 31, 2016
DGentle001:
Friends i need help now...
i had 3rd class Bsc honours am also aspiring to work in the bank, buh the man am supposed to work with asked me to go back for my bsc instead of pgd, saying that companies now consider your Bsc b4 taking you. Pls Kindly advice. do i take the pain and go back to make things right or do i continue with pgd to cover up my Bsc mistake.
will you be considered for 200l without having to undergo the rigours of jamb if you were to go back for your bsc? And also know that it is not a must you work with a bank.

God will guide you
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 31, 2016
[quote author=Ramanto post=44279516]
Now i understand your point. But it's not fair cosidering the figure of graduates with less than 2.1[/quo
If only you know the number of people that finished with a 2.1 and above. Nigeria is bery compettive bro, they just use this to cut off people.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by aameyah(f): 1:57pm On Mar 31, 2016
bxcode:
I've discovered that a lot of things that people call stress are actually birthed as a result of the type of lifestyle they live. There is no work that won't naturally demand a lot from you, but how you manage your little time will go a long way to determine if you will go through your job healthy or worn out. Bank job is stressful but people are in it and are living a happy and fulfilled life. It's not about what your job demands from you, it's about how you manage and respond to those demands. Some bankers close work around 6-7pm or thereabout but spend the next hours in bar and outdoor until the wee hours of the night. Why won't you be stressed? If you learn how to master your time and be in control of your 24hrs and only do things that ADDS VALUE to your future, by the grace of God you will stand anything that your job throws at you. But if you dabble into the general notion that a particular job is bad and so on.... then get ready to experience that imagination you have bought from others.

You have it wrong. Bank work IS stressful!
Physically and emotionally.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by bxcode(m): 3:38pm On Mar 31, 2016
aameyah:

You have it wrong. Bank work IS stressful!
Physically and emotionally.
Well that's your opinion but I wouldn't agree with you or else we both will be wrong. If you believe that bank work is stressful both physically and emotionally, then I can guarantee you that you will be stressed both physically and emotionally, it's your choice. But for me my job is a blessing and a means to put my God given talent into practice. It's demanding but it ain't robbing me of my emotions and physical well being.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by aameyah(f): 4:14pm On Mar 31, 2016
bxcode:

Well that's your opinion but I wouldn't agree with you or else we both will be wrong. If you believe that bank work is stressful both physically and emotionally, then I can guarantee you that you will be stressed both physically and emotionally, it's your choice. But for me my job is a blessing and a means to put my God given talent into practice. It's demanding but it ain't robbing me of my emotions and physical well being.

Not all banks and units are the same.
So you can't use the way your shoe fits to describe where it's pinching another person....
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by bxcode(m): 6:22pm On Mar 31, 2016
aameyah:

Not all banks and units are the same.
So you can't use the way your shoe fits to describe where it's pinching another person....
Am not trying to do that ma'am, I totally agree that units are different but I have been on jobs before that I hated and it sapped me all round, then I got to asking myself what's really wrong. Changed job but the same stress persisted until I discovered that my job is not my problem but my attitude to my job and the fact that I magnified the bad more than the good. I worked on my inside and it totally changed everything. Ma irrespective of the dept or nature of job you are into, you can decide the way that you view your job and what you focus more on, it's a choice. I can guarantee you that 99.9% of an average job in this country is stressful and energy sapping, it's not only baking job. It's just that people have magnified their bad experiences as a result of their attitude and so on. I have friends who are marketers that have terrible bosses but it dosent bother them a bit and they love their job. While some others in that same dept can't wait for Fridays to come every week. Though I agree that some job are simply inhumane and pure evil.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by aameyah(f): 10:20pm On Mar 31, 2016
bxcode:

Am not trying to do that ma'am, I totally agree that units are different but I have been on jobs before that I hated and it sapped me all round, then I got to asking myself what's really wrong. Changed job but the same stress persisted until I discovered that my job is not my problem but my attitude to my job and the fact that I magnified the bad more than the good. I worked on my inside and it totally changed everything. Ma irrespective of the dept or nature of job you are into, you can decide the way that you view your job and what you focus more on, it's a choice. I can guarantee you that 99.9% of an average job in this country is stressful and energy sapping, it's not only baking job. It's just that people have magnified their bad experiences as a result of their attitude and so on. I have friends who are marketers that have terrible bosses but it dosent bother them a bit and they love their job. While some others in that same dept can't wait for Fridays to come every week. Though I agree that some job are simply inhumane and pure evil.

Many bankers started their career with a 100% attitude. They swore they were going to give the job their all.

But there is no way you can keep up the smile when you are at work 7-9, with at most a 30 minute break after 4 to eat, only to continue your transactions right until you home. You go home, sleep and then the same thing happens next day. Weekends when you should rest, you are called for street mapping, regulatisation or MPR. Or you decide to go file all the documents you've been piling since you can't file daily due to the workload.

And one boss will still be screaming at you everyday, accusing you of not working and threatening you with sack inspite of your best efforts.

I know there are people who love their bank jobs.
But if you work under the above conditions, you won't love it. And it won't be your fault.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by WoodcrestMayor(m): 11:38am On Apr 02, 2016
Bro...permit to as...what unit are you in?

You sound like you are in a unit that is in sync with your dreams and career goals/path.
Happiness on the job stems mainly from job satisfaction.If you did IT/Finance/HR and you are put in these units,there is a tendency u'll be happier than an IT graduate who is put in customer service or marketing and has chosen to remain in order to pay bills at the end of the month.

Job satisfaction is key!!!
bxcode:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rank Of An Officer Level 14 NDLEA / What Are The Possible Job Opportunities For Graduates Of History/international Studies? / Is Spending 500 On Transportation A Day To Work Too Much

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.