Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,395 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Academic Excellence Is Overrated! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Academic Excellence Is Overrated! (682 Views)

How We Attained Academic Excellence - By 10 First Class Graduates (pics) / Alexandra Shoneyin Recognised By Obama For Her Academic Excellence - Photos / Why I Think Degree Education Is Overrated In Nigeria - Michael Roman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Academic Excellence Is Overrated! by Donniefred(m): 2:37pm On Mar 26, 2016
Academic excellence is overrated! Did I just say that? Oh, yes, I said it. Being top of your class does not necessarily guarantee that you will be at the top of life.

You could graduate as the best student in Finance but it doesn’t mean you will make more money than everybody else. The best graduating Law student does not necessarily become the best lawyer.

The fact is life requires more than the ability to understand a concept, memorize it and reproduce it in an exam.

School rewards people for their memory. Life rewards people for their imagination. School rewards caution, life rewards daring. School hails those who live by the rules. Life exalts those who break the rules and set new ones.

So do I mean people shouldn’t study hard in school? Oh, no, you should! But don’t sacrifice every other thing on the altar of First Class. Don’t limit yourself to the classroom.

Classrooms don't limit us. We will only be limited by the classrooms if we believe in the standard set for us by our tutors based on our "intelligence quotient".

For instance, in school after a particular test or exam, they'll grade your ability -A,B,C,etc.

If you believe this standard set by the school system then you are limited and you cannot impact humanity positively and i dare say no man can climb beyond the limitations of his own belief.

Do something practical. Take a leadership position. Start a business and fail. That’s a better Entrepreneurship 101. Join or start a club. Invoke in school politics, contest for an election and loose, it will teach something Political Science will not teach you.

Attend a seminar. Read books outside the scope of your course. Go on missions and win a soul for eternal rewards…Do something you believe in! Think less of becoming an excellent student but think more of becoming an excellent person. Make the world your classroom!

http://dtimesng.com/2016/03/26/food-for-thought/

1 Like

Re: Academic Excellence Is Overrated! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 26, 2016
2,860th time I've read this article. Stale.

(1) (Reply)

Help A Nairalander In Need / Situation Report On The Ongoing Crisis In UNILAG / OOU Begins Post UTME 2016/17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.