Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,261 members, 7,815,428 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion (1075 Views)

Nigerian Lawmakers Could Override Buhari If He Vetoes Peace Corps Bill – Dogara / Akwa Ibom Tops 2016 FAAC Allocation With Over N116.6 Billion – NEITI / "Nigerian Lawmakers In Sexual Misconduct" - Entwistle, US Ambassador To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by londonrivals: 2:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
MTN Nigeria fined $5.2 billion in 2015 by Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) is facing a possible hike to $15.6 billion in a bizarre turn of events.

Nigeria’s House of Representatives is about to hike the fine slapped on MTN Nigeria for failing to deactivate the SIM cards of some 5.1 million subscribers as stipulated by an NCC directive.

The NCC initially fined MTN Nigeria $1,005 for each unregistered subscriber totaling to $5.2 billion but a 25% fine reprieve after appeals meant MTN only had to pay $3.4 billion. The NCC immediately increased this bill to $3.8 billion (35% reduction of the $5.1 billion) blaming the hike on a typing error.

The House of Representatives said the fine imposed by the NCC and the subsequent reduction following MTN Nigeria’s leniency appeal was not in accordance to stipulated laws.

Hon. Ehiozuwa Agbonayinma said: “MTN ought to have been fined under both Section 19 and Section 20 respectively with a cumulative penalty of N3.12 trillion, and not N1.04 trillion, which is a gross violation of the combined reading of the NCC Act.”

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/03/nigerian-lawmakers-increases-mtn-fine.html

cc: lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by SUPERPACK: 2:52pm On Mar 27, 2016
j
Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by ozoigbondu: 2:55pm On Mar 27, 2016
Empty hen are thieves but the National Assembly are bigger theives

I hope empty hen does not go bankrupt with this fines

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by codedguy1(m): 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2016
Be like say naija wan explode oo

With all the news flying around CBNgate, buhari $23million, Tinubu vs Kachikwu, fulani herdmen, aisha and shehu's forex, new comm tax, fighting in Nass, judiciary wahala,chibok girl etc

Now Nass want make MTN pay $15billa.

What do we believe again?

God is on the throne.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by Fmartin(m): 3:08pm On Mar 27, 2016
Good one...#paybacktime

remain DSTV. If dem go pay at all
Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by lekjons(m): 3:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
uh
Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by rusher14: 3:14pm On Mar 27, 2016
That's a difficult figure to cough up.

I'm afraid they'll never be able to make such payment.

It is in everybody's interest to keep MTN alive though a stringent fine must be paid.
Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by omenka(m): 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
Haba, let's be reasonable na. The entire company assets worldwide isn't worth that amount I believe. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by Goke7: 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
The lawmakers just want their share jare

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by Caseless: 3:20pm On Mar 27, 2016
That's too much, except if somebody has a personal beef with the company wants mtn to fold up!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by LaurelP(m): 3:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
Village People dey on top MTN progress.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by rusher14: 3:23pm On Mar 27, 2016
omenka:
Haba, let's be reasonable na. The entire company assets worldwide isn't worth that amount I believe. cheesy

This one don turn to extortion and racketeering.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by lukecent: 3:31pm On Mar 27, 2016
How much is MTN Nigeria net worth?
Me I go like make dem fold sef, dey re ripping Nigerians off.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by malton: 3:54pm On Mar 27, 2016
undecided.

Chase them out let's see whether the law will employ those who will be laid off.

There's enough unemployment in the land already, we shouldn't exacerbate the situation all in a bid to seem tough.

This is not to say that we should condone flouting of our laws, but diplomacy needs be deployed in handling sensitive issues as this.

Meanwhile, from the look of things, it seem like MTN no more pay the 'Ghana must go' dues like they used to.
Men dey vex!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by Xionez(m): 4:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
* Maga must pay, shout Halleluyah..."

Companies gats sit up before they shine torchlight for pesin face.
If them sight you, na only deposit slips you go dey sight.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by teadrake(m): 5:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
malton:
undecided.

Chase them out let's see whether the law will employ those who will be laid off.

There's enough unemployment in the land already, we shouldn't exacerbate the situation all in a bid to seem tough.

This is not to say that we should condone flouting of our laws, but diplomacy needs be deployed in handling sensitive issues as this.

Meanwhile, from the look of things, it seem like MTN no more pay the 'Ghana must go' dues like they used to.
Men dey vex!
I agree with you but, MTN is trying to capitalize on the fact that the vast majority of Nigerians are on their payroll thereby giving them the audacity to flout our laws at will.
I could recalled NCC gave them several deadline coupled with some extensions too.
Am with our legislators on this.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by teadrake(m): 5:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
malton:
undecided.

Men dey vex!
I agree with you but, MTN is trying to capitalize on the fact that the vast majority of Nigerians are on their payroll thereby giving them the audacity to flout our laws at will.
I could recalled NCC gave them several deadline coupled with some extensions too.
Am with our legislators on this
Re: Nigerian Lawmakers Increases MTN Fine To $15.6 Billion by lilprinze: 5:28pm On Mar 27, 2016
Bunch of useless lawmakers they only make laws that would benefit their stomachs and not the masses.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PDP Will Shutdown APC In Nigeria ? - Committee Full List Speaks / Caption This Picture Of President Buhari And The Arabian Man / Buhari Resumes Foreign Trip, Heads To UK For Anti-corruption summit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.