Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,577 members, 7,823,509 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? (3828 Views)

Superior Solution To The Challenge Of Septic Tank (soakaway) & Sewage Treatment / Sewage Disposal Services / Septic Tank Evacuation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
Good-evening all,this is kinda urgent before i further make fool of myself.I currently live in an apartment Somewhere in Delta state where we recently discovered that the Soak away housing the water is filled up,so some occupants of the house started making move to collect money from all the tenants for evacuation,but i insisted i wont pay cos i believe its the Landlord's sole responsibility.

So i want to know ,under the tenancy law if there is any ,whose responsibility is it to when such arises?
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by layzie: 8:08pm On Mar 28, 2016
Don't refuse to contribute cos of the health risks at stake.

Soak away is full and should be evacuated ASAP. If your fellow tenants are already making moves u shud key in instead blatantly refusing and waiting for landlord.

Soon u wnt be able to flush your toilet anymore as the whole thing will regurgitate back when u try to flush. Do u want to wait till that happens?

While we await the lawyers here to assist with tenancy laws, quickly evacuate that crap cos the health risk is yours to face not landlord's...you can always settle later with landlord if the lawyers confirm the law is on ur side.

1 Like

Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by ola2nde(m): 8:08pm On Mar 28, 2016
What I will advise is to pay if others are paying
Cos landlord might not turn to it.
And it will affect you more than him especially if the landlord is not living with you in the same house

Chears ..
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 28, 2016
Yes i understand,but i want to know what is right under the law
ola2nde:
What I will advise is to pay if others are paying
Cos landlord might not turn to it.
And it will affect you more than him especially if the landlord is not living with you in the same house

Chears ..
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Mar 28, 2016
You obviously do not have anything to offer ,so go hide
layzie:
Be waiting for landlord o.

Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by layzie: 8:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
gadgetsngs:
You obviously do not have anything to offer ,so go hide

Modified.
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by ola2nde(m): 8:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
gadgetsngs:
Yes i understand,but i want to know what is right under the law

Well, my opinion
I think it's still ur responsibility to do so.
Just like painting ur room and other minor maintenance in the house.
Landlord cant control how I use the soakaway.

A question , if it get filled often than usual will the land lord be responsible for it.

My opinion.

Adekanbi R.A.
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 28, 2016
The tenants will always contribute to get it evacuated....in other words, the people wey shit ful am na him go pack am... grin
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by rydeorsail(m): 10:29pm On Mar 28, 2016
i think is the responsibility of the landlord but for your own health reason will be wise to contribute and deduct it from your next house rent before paying him

1 Like

Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Mar 28, 2016
That is exactly what i think,but the Landlord is claiming its our responsibility,so i wanted to be sure to stand my ground,i hate been cheated,and even if this will lead me out of the compound ,no problem
rydeorsail:
i think is the responsibility of the landlord but for your own health reason will be wise to contribute and deduct it from your next house rent before paying him
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by diehard(m): 11:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
This is really terrible thinking from the OP, the rent you paid only gives you the right to stay in your apartment. Your poo fills up the toilet and you should contribute to evacuating it, except on the condition that it was stated in your tenancy agreement and was built into the rent, otherwise pay up.

Very soon it will be the landlord responsibility to pay your electricity bill.
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by olapluto(m): 11:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
OP is a joker. Does the landlord live there with you? You take care of the waste you generate. While it is benevolent of the landlord to take the responsibility, it is not compulsory.

1 Like

Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
Na question i ask ooo
olapluto:
OP is a joker. Does the landlord live there with you? You take care of the waste you generate. While it is benevolent of the landlord to take the responsibility, it is not compulsory.
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by gabbytabby: 12:59pm On Mar 29, 2016
Evacuation is a service and provided you do not pay a service charge to the landlord that includes this then it is tenants responsibility.
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 29, 2016
Thanks bro ,i appreciate
gabbytabby:
Evacuation is a service and provided you do not pay a service charge to the landlord that includes this then it is tenants responsibility.
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by egopersonified(f): 1:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
The way I see it, whoever pays for waste disposal(dustbin) should pay for sewage disposal.
Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by n3xt(m): 2:40pm On Mar 29, 2016
Here's one of the numerous woes and challenges of rental properties. So many beautiful comments here but here's another twist to it.

Scenario 1:

What happens if the house is around 5 - 8 years old and never has there been a need for evacuation of the septic tank; then a new tenant moves in and discovered a week later that the sewage needs evacuation. Who pays for the evacuation in this situation?

Note: The landlord does not live with the tenant.

Scenario 2:

What happens where a 6 flat apartment had only two tenants, who foots the waste and electricity bills (especially bills on shared facilities)?

Note: LAWMA charges based on building size. Electricity bills will include fence security lights, borehole and others.

Enquiry mind wants an answer.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by n3xt(m): 6:17pm On Mar 29, 2016
Note: If there is no separate metering for the electricity, the tenancy agreement should put in a calculation about how the tenant’s costs will be worked out. For example, a calculation for electricity may be as follows:

total amount of bill ÷ total number of bedrooms in the apartment block × number of bedrooms in the rental premises in this tenancy agreement or based on different variables.

It is important to include these calculations as the tenant is not obliged to pay a utility bill unless there is written agreement about how the bill will be calculated.

Read more here Rentals: Tenant vs Landlord costs

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Sewage Evacuation - Who Foots The Bill? by write2obi(m): 8:59pm On Mar 29, 2016
Op i think it's the responsibility of the tenants to take care of such secondary bills, like Ansepa Security and soak away evacuation

(1) (Reply)

Affordable Lands At Prosperity Garden Housing Estate Attan Ota / Estimate/breakdown Of Building A 4 Bedroom Bungalow In Akwa Ibom / 13 Warren Buffett Quotes For Real Estate Investors.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.