Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Story On Quora Of A Foreigners Encounter With Igbo Staff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Story On Quora Of A Foreigners Encounter With Igbo Staff (1099 Views)

Osinbajo Meets With Igbo Leaders (Photos) / Bayelsa Indigenes Clash With Igbo Traders / President Buhari Honoured With Igbo Traditional Title In Abia State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Story On Quora Of A Foreigners Encounter With Igbo Staff by Ofodirinwa: 3:49am On Mar 29, 2016
Pat McCormack, some folk think I'm smart. Personally I'm mostly just stuck!
115.2k Views • Upvoted by 'Laolu Oyedele, Nigerian, advocate for social re-orientation.
Pat is a Most Viewed Writer in Nigeria.
I don't know if Nigerians are the smartest people on earth but they sure are smart, Igbo folk in particular. To give an example; back in 1981 I was hiring staff in Warri. A young (17) Igbo fellow called Sam asked for a job. He was as short as me and very slim so not suitable for laboring work. He was totally full of beans so I hired him anyways to help me with line testing gear. Sam had had just four years of primary education. About a week in he asked me why I liked the small numbers on the test gear and did not like the big ones. So sitting there under a mangrove I explained voltage, current, Ohms law and the problem with contaminated connections. About an hour later Sam comes back with a drawing and a handful of batteries. He wanted to know whether there was a way to put the batteries in the geophones so as to push the signal through even with poor connections. I was gobsmacked. An hour after hearing of Ohm's law for the first time he'd dreamt up the concept of a pre-amplifier. I had an electronics workshop so I took Sam into it and started with the math and electronics. He lived in that lab. He went from Euclid to Leibniz in less than a month. Six weeks in he was using spectrum analysers to control inter-modulation between multiple radio transmitters. In the eleven months we worked/learnt together Sam got to about associate degree level. He set up an electronics store after.
Some damn smart folk in the Delta.
Pat
https://www.quora.com/Are-Nigerians-the-smartest-people-to-walk-the-earth-Why

3 Likes

Re: Story On Quora Of A Foreigners Encounter With Igbo Staff by Yujin(m): 6:49am On Mar 29, 2016
Nice narrative OP but you need to spice it up for people to comment. The way you stopped abruptly gives no one the desire to add any comment. For instance, what is quora known for and what is the aim of your thread? I'd want to see more response on the thread.
Re: Story On Quora Of A Foreigners Encounter With Igbo Staff by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:25am On Mar 29, 2016
we Rock

2 Likes

Re: Story On Quora Of A Foreigners Encounter With Igbo Staff by yomalex(m): 7:50am On Mar 29, 2016
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Story On Quora Of A Foreigners Encounter With Igbo Staff by MyGeneration(m): 8:19am On Mar 29, 2016
H
Re: Story On Quora Of A Foreigners Encounter With Igbo Staff by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 29, 2016
For those asking: Quora is a platform where you get other people's opinion around the world. Foreigners frequent the site. (IMO,it has a great layout/interface,much better than ...). Well,as for Sam and the white man...no surprises there. Igbos got an inclination to technology.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

PIC: See What Buhari Is Doing To Nigeria Hence The Suffering / Where Was DSS When Fulani Murdered A King In Asaba Forcing 14 Year Son On Throne / Federal Staff Salary Paid 25th As Promised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.