Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,750 members, 7,831,396 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple (48116 Views)

Are Brazilian People Black? / Is It Wrong To Have An Ingo And Yoruba Name?? / Brazilian Tourists Vow To Promote Yoruba Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Rayhutar(m): 4:29pm On Mar 29, 2016
nnokwa042:
not racism if a Yoruba who his mum is an igbo woman and wants to contest for governor of lagos and put his names as chukwuemeka ogunbiyi no yoruba person will vote him
Guy you hit it and Nigerians are shouting racism why there own is worst on earth
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by knackz(m): 4:35pm On Mar 29, 2016
d ton make no head
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by knackz(m): 4:35pm On Mar 29, 2016
d tin make no head
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by confy35(f): 4:36pm On Mar 29, 2016
When they tell you guys to stay back in your country, u will be complaining of racism. They don't want you. Come back here, let's fix our mess here!
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 29, 2016
possibilita:
hilarious

No mind those Brazilians jare, you go see their names wey go long like something wey dem dey use do menstruation
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 29, 2016
food for thought: Do we even register new born babies in Nigeria? Do we keep record of births and deaths?
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by GooseBaba: 4:57pm On Mar 29, 2016
confy35:
When they tell you guys to stay back in your country, u will be complaining of racism. They don't want you. Come back here, let's fix our mess here!

Sharrap dia...!! who told you that they're immigrants. A lot of African Brazilians are descendants of Atlantic slavery. So where the fuvk are they coming back to..

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by 9inches(m): 4:59pm On Mar 29, 2016
Cizinho Afreeka (Africa) as a name? See this yoruba guy and his Ethiopian partner o.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by heo88(m): 5:02pm On Mar 29, 2016
tpiah01:

seems Foluke means surrendered into the hands of God, therefore the literal translation into Portuguese would be Rendeu-se nas maos de Deus (from google).

They can try contracting it into a name since the meaning can also be expressed in their native Portuguese.

Now you put it like that, it could definitely work!

What I've deduced from the story is that they want to assert an African identity. Afro-Brazilians have had their culture suppressed since their arrival in the 1500s. This has continued to the present day and they've mostly been marginalised, contemporaneously with a white migration policy (also adopted by the US, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and South Africa) to help sustain their marginalisation. This has had all kinds of consequences such as miscegenation (mixed marriages and offspring), to help breed out their 'blackness'. In response a small group of Afrocentric Brazilians are reasserting the African identity which has been robbed/attenuated by their oppressors. This is what makes this story very political.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by hunkydory(m): 5:23pm On Mar 29, 2016
Can any yoruba person here kindly tell me the meaning of Foluke?.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Brigadier7(m): 5:24pm On Mar 29, 2016
seyema:
Racism everywhere, may God help us
just as you have Tribalism in Nigeria!! Racism/Tribalism/ Nepotism Everywhere
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 29, 2016
chocolateme:
Hmm..
Since Foluke was rejected, why not christen her "Luke Fo" at least let her start with "Luke" from the bible, and "Fo" from the Chinese then when she grows up, she can sue them alongside her parents for misspelling, defamation and inappropriate manipulation of her name and on that ground demand for correction in her nomenclature. Period!
and you think you just made sense up there abi? smfh undecided
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 5:40pm On Mar 29, 2016
ChinonsoDike2:
Black people cry about racism wayyy too much. Give it a rest.
It's very easy to say that until you've been through it personally or you've seen it happen to someone close to you. Racism is real and horrible. I've heard of a white woman who named her child DANGER! but guess what? was she stopped? nope, rather it was thought as a little bit funny, silly light hearted, nothing serious. Let it be a black person and watch people's reactions angry
Next time don't judge something you don't understand
undecided

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by notoriousbabe: 5:42pm On Mar 29, 2016
Na wa o. Moderator make una borrow am name now
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by notoriousbabe: 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2016
hunkydory:
it means come make we fok
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Sheggy13(m): 5:50pm On Mar 29, 2016
hunkydory:
Means I surrender this child in the hands of God, to care for.
Meaning the parents are acknowledging that they can only do a bit in taking care of the child and calling upon God to do all the caring.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by RonJeremy: 6:08pm On Mar 29, 2016
ChinonsoDike2:
Black people cry about racism wayyy too much. Give it a rest.
This is not black ppl crying racism; it is blatant racist. As long as a name is not offensive, it is a fundamental right of parents to give their child whatever name they so desire. Brazil is a corrupt racist shit hole not fair to blacks....

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by UKBobo(m): 6:24pm On Mar 29, 2016
Those Western butt-licking jackasses. See correct family na, with thoughtful intentions.

A country where they name their child after anything! Go Sao Paulo and hear how many Kennedy (after US presido), Washington, Berlin sef...and hear how ppphucked up it sounds in 'Brasileiro'

Porra mesmo!!
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Rekeb: 6:36pm On Mar 29, 2016
nnokwa042:
not racism if a Yoruba who his mum is an igbo woman and wants to contest for governor of lagos and put his names as chukwuemeka ogunbiyi no yoruba person will vote him
This is definitely not true. People will not vote for him only if he is 'Biyi Chukwuemeka
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2016
ritahot:

It has nothing to do with racism!. The name made no sense at all!!. In Nigeria do they make any sense the way the act?

read your personal text a million times, over and over again and try to memorize it so that when next your fingers are itching you to type rubbish you can slap yourself in the brain to jump-start it, you hear?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by nextstep(m): 6:47pm On Mar 29, 2016
tpiah01:

if that's their law (I dont know though), then the parents should make the child's name sound more Portuguese.

I dont see anything to fight over.

I don't know, but I also doubt it's enshrined in law for the authorities to discriminate on what names they approve of. It's likely just systemic bias, which can also subtly be used to deny a person a job, scholarship, promotion based on their names or heritage. It is well documented how in many countries, people are denied opportunities solely because of name or ethnic background. Even the English do it to the Welsh and Irish.

Even if it is law, laws and constitutional amendments are made when people fight for changes. If the law is unfair, there is provision in most countries to change it, and most changes have started with one individual deciding not to accept status quo.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by chocolateme(f): 6:59pm On Mar 29, 2016
MissGdope:

and you think you just made sense up there abi? smfh undecided
snd I've been waiting for what you have to say that makes sense till now but nothing yet all because being a Winner and Sinner is difficult, you have nothing to contribute and still chase the tail of someone that came forward weda making sense or not..

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by macof(m): 7:03pm On Mar 29, 2016
confy35:
lol. you don't get it. You should read up the connection between yoruba and Brazil. ..It got nothing to do with "stay back in your country"
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by nnokwa042(m): 7:20pm On Mar 29, 2016
Rekeb:

This is definitely not true. People will not vote for him only if he is 'Biyi Chukwuemeka
you never know tribalism in Nigeria is worst in the world
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 29, 2016
chocolateme:
snd I've been waiting for what you have to say that makes sense till now but nothing yet all because being a Winner and Sinner is difficult, you have nothing to contribute and still chase the tail of someone that came forward weda making sense or not..
you're still not making any sense undecided
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Chommieblaq(f): 7:42pm On Mar 29, 2016
nextstep:

I don't know, but I also doubt it's enshrined in law for the authorities to discriminate on what names they approve of. It's likely just systemic bias, which can also subtly be used to deny a person a job, scholarship, promotion based on their names or heritage. It is well documented how in many countries, people are denied opportunities solely because of name or ethnic background. Even the English do it to the Welsh and Irish.

Even if it is law, laws and constitutional amendments are made when people fight for changes. If the law is unfair, there is provision in most countries to change it, and most changes have started with one individual deciding not to accept status quo.

I don't believe the story abeg, bloggers can write any thing to get traffic, how about immigrants, must they give their children Portuguese names.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by chocolateme(f): 7:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
MissGdope:

you're still not making any sense undecided
what makes sense is that you keep forcefully associating yourself with someone that doesn't make sense at all, what does that make you? Lol.. Of all the senseless persons to disturb on nairaland here, it is chocolateme.. Ama m na Ike dikwa gi?
Anyway, it's alright. For decades now, no female has glorified my posts with any quote. So dear Uwc.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 29, 2016
chocolateme:
what makes sense is that you keep forcefully associating yourself with someone that doesn't make sense at all, what does that make you? Lol.. Of all the senseless persons to disturb on nairaland here, it is chocolateme.. Ama m na Ike dikwa gi?
Anyway, it's alright. For decades now, no female has glorified my posts with any quote. So dear Uwc.
grin wtf are you on about? who's associated with who? oh please! @bolded, whatever I can't understand, can't hurt me so next time use ENGLISH.
Btw, I don't check the name or gender of the person I quote on here cos I honestly don't give a damn. You say something senseless, I will quote you and tell you. end of
You're welcome undecided
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by chocolateme(f): 7:58pm On Mar 29, 2016
MissGdope:

grin wtf are you on about? who's associated with who? oh please! @bolded, whatever I can't understand, can't hurt me so next time use ENGLISH.
Btw, I don't check the name or gender of the person I quote on here cos I honestly don't give a damn. You say something senseless, I will quote you and tell you. end of
You're welcome undecided
lol miss quote.. Nice job u gat here.. Onye m.. Lara m azu.. Ichoro imem 30,, mana m ga eme gi 40. Apasa m n' ogbe. Nne na akozikwa tuuu.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 29, 2016
augster:
Racists!
never say that do u kno what it means in language my name is a very sweet igbo name but is i turn it to hausa na u go run comotcomot grin
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 29, 2016
chocolateme:
lol miss quote.. Nice job u gat here.. Onye m.. Lara m azu.. Ichoro imem 30,, mana m ga eme gi 40. Apasa m n' ogbe. Nne na akozikwa tuuu.
you might as well be typing gibberish cos this is incomprehensible to me and therefore has no effect.
but just so you know you're not the only one who can speak their language. Heres a message from me to you:
ewobi no ma ma! ugha zagha vbe agbon. No ma ren n'egbere kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jamb Question - What Is "Eku Ijoko" In English ? (winner Gets Recharge Card) / The "Bushbaby" Tale, Is It Real Or Fake?(photo) / The Prince Adeyeye May Be The Next Ooni Of Ife (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.