Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? (5345 Views)

XBOX One Game Console By Microsoft / Do Any Nigerians Make Their Own Video Games? / Game Console: Ps3 Or Xbox 360 Elite (2) (3) (4)

What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by gbadex1(m): 6:47pm On Nov 09, 2006
You know, i've been thinking about that for a while now. I mean, with Microsoft in the gaming industry with their X-Box, what if Apple decides to make theirs?

What y'all think?
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Neoteny(m): 7:09pm On Nov 10, 2006
it'll stink.
it'll be a drab white, have a sillly shuffle wheel, scratch-prone fascia and allow you access to i-games only after paying an eye/teeth.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by gbadex1(m): 11:10pm On Nov 10, 2006
Lmao!! Why is it errone's hating  on Apple?
@neoteny: you must be 1 of dem microsoft groupies.

Concerning i-games, it depends on the way u look at it. If u look @ it with Apple playing dat monopoly sh!t, then there wouldn't be much games produced. And i doubt if them fellas at Apple would try that strategy.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Neoteny(m): 7:19pm On Nov 12, 2006
i think it WAS monopolizing to have itunes music play only in ipod. but thank God for the french!
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by gbadex1(m): 11:00pm On Nov 12, 2006
@ neoteny,

dude, the same applies to other companies with online music stores. Just as u can only play songs downloaded 4rm itunes on ipods, so is the same with companies with their music players.

And what the flamming Bleep does the french have to do with it?
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Gamine(f): 3:03pm On Nov 16, 2006
Me thinks it wld be tite
the console wld be the sweetest thing uve ever since
very fast and smooth graphics play
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Neoteny(m): 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2006
@gbade.x
first of all you need to cut out the cussing. hey, we gentlemen. aight? second, tell me one mp3 maker who has proprietary-playback or whatever in their music download portal besides apple. just one. iTunes songs come in AAC format, dont they? isnt AAc an apple intellectual property? if im wrong them tell me, cos last time i checked i was right.
as for the frenchies well, hey, wasnt their parliament (i dont know wot they call 'em: senate, congress, coven of old bureaucratic geezers whatever-the law makers anyway), werent they among the first to be like, damn, there ought to be like a law that compels apple to make iTunes songs competitor-friendly? see, they were thinking of the end user there.

@gamine
QUOTE: Me thinks it would be tite
the console would be the sweetest thing uve ever since
very fast and smooth graphics play:END QUOTE
hmm. remember that old song, DREAM ON, DREAMER grin
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Gamine(f): 6:20pm On Nov 19, 2006
i will dream surely Neoteny cos d world belongs to us! smiley
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by gbadex1(m): 10:59am On Nov 21, 2006
@ neo,

u know, i was on google news the other day, and there was this hacker (can't remember his name), that cracked the code preventing ppl from playing itunes songs on other mp3s. In that same news, it was said that the same could be said about other mp3 makers.

My point is, Apple does this (aac format), BUT the same can be said about other mp3 players.

Cut 'em some slack will ya?
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Neoteny(m): 1:31pm On Nov 21, 2006
@gbade.x
yet you've not come up with any manuifacturer havin the same exploitative business model far as mp3's are concerned. as for the hacker, well, its been done before by b0iler from cyberarmy like over 2 years ago. hey, i have an AAc player software for smartphones by viking informatics so what else is new?
let me tell you something about the hacker community: they only hack/crack stuff they have to pay money for; the more restricting the inbuilt anti piracy mechanism, the better the challenge. and the more hacker tools like softice, ollydebug, winhex and reshacker float freely around to give open source a run for its money. hey, even you can hack that apple code.
i'll cut 'em some slack if they and the likes of you will back off gates and his microshaft, after all they made it easier for us to have a field day havin a go at crackin and shite.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by gbadex1(m): 4:08am On Nov 24, 2006
Lol, neoteny awoof dey run belle o!! So u'll give 'em slack based on microsoft's poor security system.

Dude, nothing good comes free and nothing free comes good. . . .(well, almost lol).

Dude talkin' about big corps exploiting ppl, they all do it. No company's innocent of it, so don't cherrypick Apple out as the scapegoat.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Neoteny(m): 12:14pm On Nov 26, 2006
dude, i dont have much stink against the fruity corp; just i think its evil to have a lock in ipod. hey, i love Mac. i hate ipod cos i think the Creative Labs Nomad and Rio Riot are better looking with cooler features. but personallty i got nothing against Apple.

as for microshite well, hey, the security flaws are deliberate. they justify updates (and quick version fixes), and im sure you know windows updates is a clever tool to find out who's running on a pira windows.

awoof dey run belle, abi? yes, but if the thieving megacorps are going to keep demanding our souls just to gratify ourselves with their poorly written programs then i guess its best to just snarf it and teach 'em a lesson. i hear it'll be more expensive now to mod a ps3 than to actually buy the darn Cds but i tell we dont care; we'll mod the machine and buy pira games or die trying.
i support any and all hacker communities out there and if they need paypal donations let 'em ping me.
END OF RANT.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by gbadex1(m): 10:33pm On Nov 26, 2006
Lol, you must really like Linux then! Cos ur manner of speech suggests you'd like open source very well.

Talking about ps3s. It's going to be hell cracking that annoying blu-ray technology. But then like one hardcore gamer said, "what one man can build, another man can crack".

Another thing i find peculiar about the ps3 is their mouth-running about specs and tearflops and microprocessors and the blu ray optical drive. Them assholes. Reminds one of the N64. Most powerful as at then (before the dreamcast, that is) and what killed it? Basically greed. Releasing games in catridge format, when mofos like the playstation were doing theirs cd format style.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Neoteny(m): 5:14pm On Nov 28, 2006
have been doing unix in the days before i failed miserably as a hacker. i dont like linux cos you cant crack what's free. but i'm about to take kubuntu for a spin.

as for blu-ray, well-pretty much the same was said about dvd's when ps2 came out.

all that needs to be said about specs have been said by myself, dakmanzero, codec, texazzpete and a whole bevy of nintendogs and microsofties in the games thread. me, i'm all for the ps3, because i don't believe there's much gameplay design left to discover out there without it being closely tied in to graphics. a lot of people make a big stink about how little difference, if any, there is graphically between the ps3 and 360. but they forget that it'll take at least two years before devs are familiar enough with the consoles to start making good games taht'll provide the basis for comparison. and my money says the console with the most power under its hood waiting to be unleashed will win the day. remember, i argued back there that visuals in these days of 1080 HDMI resolutions (if they can actually make 1080p displays and not 720p phoneys) will enhance the gaming experience in all levels. most generations of games concentrate on man-machine interfacing and 3D graphics, but it is now that the role of graphics will be uplifted to actually play a role in the overall gaming experience. shadows, particles, lighhting-all these will very well stop playing background roles and dramatially enhance the ambience of reality. did you ever play Resident Evil Rebirth oin the GC? wow! you can use shadows and mirror reflections to tell where the zombies are. maybe we might see a game where you can tell where someone is by taking note of dust trails. this is just my opinion, but time will prove me right.
don't let the nintendogs tell you the future is in the wii pad; pretty much the same was said of virtual reality headgear in the late nineties. so now where's the sega virtua boy or whatever the hell they called it? it didnt really immersed people because the graphics, for one, were mere gouraud-shaded pixel points (  grin  ) with no texture maps, no material, just clever gyroscopes and physics. and for another the headgear was too cumbersome. the wii pad? a passing fad.
so if you can, get a ps3. forget the nintendo-sponsored blogs telling you the horribly inferior wii is better. "playstation 3: play b3yond"!!
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by gbadex1(m): 5:50pm On Nov 28, 2006
Lol, sorry mayne. It's the 360 and wii for me!
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Neoteny(m): 1:39pm On Nov 29, 2006
gbade. x:

Lol, sorry mayne. It's the 360 and wii for me!
then may God have mercy on your soul.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Gamine(f): 4:06pm On Nov 29, 2006
Me too i think i'll stick with the wii grin
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Neoteny(m): 6:01pm On Nov 29, 2006
curse you, evil nintendogs, curse you grrr!!! grin
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Seun(m): 6:44pm On Nov 29, 2006
Now that you've mentioned this possibility, it seems inevitable: of course they'e going to build a game console!
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by alexis(m): 7:48pm On Nov 29, 2006
One good thing I like about apple is that they are innovative - if they do make a game console, I think it will be slick and will be worshipped as their other products.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Gamine(f): 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2006
thank u jare Alexis, Apple, slick all d way!!
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by dakmanzero(m): 10:34pm On Nov 29, 2006
lol! Always amusing to see Neoteny lose his temper as those around prove their opinion isnt his!

ok, on topic:

APPLE CONSOLE?

Sounds good in theory. The mac mini is a great example of what an apple console will look like. very nice, clean, and (as steve jobs says) 'lickable' smiley.

Also GIRLS AND WOMEN will like it, and many may buy it even if they never play it, because its nice and shiny! and records tv shows, and does other nice stuff with an INCREDIBLY EASY interface (i'm talking about a console derived from the mac mini, which already has many of these features)

unfortunately I'm sure they will fail in practice. The reason is that the console world is a WAR ZONE where simply making the best product is not enough, you have to FIGHT TOOTH AND NAIL against the others (in this case including SONY and MICROSOFT, both companies that HATE APPLE'S GUTS and have KICKED APPLE'S ARSE before) to win the support of devs.

No devs, no games. No games, no console. Hence, the mac mini was not marketed as the game console it could easily be.

another little tidbit: As steve jobs has saidd again and again, apple is a hardware company, not a software company, and in the video game world, "The name of the game is the GAMES" (Nintendo slogan).

Games are software. Apple can't compete. Sorry, Gamine. cheesy

On the ps3 stuff,

@Neoteny, dude! suck it down! the wii is BEATING the ps3 MERCILESSLY!!!!

As gbade.x said, Sony is in the same position nintendo was with the N64! And what happened to nintendo? they went DOWN!!!!!!! (darkstalkers voice) And thats gonna happen to sony too!

I mean, ps3's launch is *obviously* premature, just like the n64. NO GAMES, just rehashes of 360 games that are either identical or inferior (gasp) to the 360 versions (devs like XNA, and have been using 360 for ages. Suck it down. No xna for ps3 so all that cell power may actually. . .gasp!. . . NEVER be unleashed! ooooooooh me shivering in fear!) and resistance fall of man, yeeeeeeeeeeeah riiiiight. Gears of war sucka!

microsoft and nintendo have forced sony's hand, and they will have their work cut out convincing devs to give them exclusive support like before, which is, by the way, the only reason they (or anyone else) has ever ruled the console market.Former PS3 exclusives like assasin's creed and GTA have already jumped ship to 360. Dont be surprised to see Metal gear for the wii (konami likes nintendo, a little bit, )

finally, some little points:

AAC is NOT apple's intellectual property. Its the audio component of the MPEG4 audiovisual standards suite, which is an advanced version of the MPEG1 audiovisual suite, of which MP3 is the third 'layer' of the audio component. In short its MP3 but muchmuchmuch better.

Other players have their own DRM which is as bad as apples 'fairplay' system, and in most cases by far far worse. Apple allows you to transcode to WAV with no hasles, at which point you can do ANYTHING you like. WMA's can only be transcoded by hacking, and M$ is battling those hacker tools everyday. Also WMA is worse because it *IS* microsofts intellectual property, so decoding it alone, let alone hacking, is already illegal! Dude, the ipod's DRM is the least restrictive.

You hate ipod but it is the market leader despite being the most expensive and with the least features. Why? well because no-one has found a better controller than the scrollwheel, and seeking through long files (podcasts, audiobooks) is horrible on other players. Also, the strength and build qality of ipods is by far greater than the plasticky and tacky creative/archos players. I owned a creative rhomba and now own an ipod mini so I'm not talking out my arse
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by texazzpete(m): 2:04pm On Nov 30, 2006
duh
any apple console will look sweet, as usual, but in reality would be slightly underpowered, while apple attempt to convince you that you don't really need all that much power,
they'd go all proprietary on their graphics card, and get trumped by Nvidia's and ATI/AMD's offerings. they'd have a unique interface that'd such for games.
hgamers dont care if their systems look cool. as long as they have enough horses under the hood,

BTW, i guess i'm getting a ps3 soon, if i can get one to buy, that is. ,
the ps3 seems set to do what all my friends failed to do : get me to install and use linux!
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by segedoo(m): 8:19pm On Nov 30, 2006
what if? they don't?
the competition will be really tight. apple loves being the inventor u know?
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by dakmanzero(m): 11:06pm On Nov 30, 2006
Inventor of what? what *significant* thing did apple invent?

the mouse? No

the Graphical OS? No

shiny electronics? no

MP3 players? No

So WHAT did they invent? The only really significant invention I can think of is the home computer with the Apple I, and even that wasn't really an invention.

@TP

Glad to see u back on NL. If u want a ps3 u can get one now, the prices on ebay are actually dipping low to around 800 dollars, they will spike again as christmas approaches so start your 'runs' sharpsharp. And why would a ps3 get you interested in linux? Just grab a copy of linux user magazine, free distros on every cover dvd! Or use that your super link and download some ISO's already. I can already tell you that whatever crap sony puts on the ps3, it sure wont be linux for *real*, or the ps3 will become another psp, where people just buy it, install hoembrew, and play emulated games and downloaded ISO's.
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by texazzpete(m): 8:59am On Dec 01, 2006
@dmz

not too keen on installing linux on my pc when windows does all my work, and i got my windows for free with my laptop. linux isn't bad, the problem with these open source gurus is the ultra-religious vibes they put out, posing as crusaders againt the 'great satan' microsoft. what these guys dont realise is that guys like me just want stuff that can do all your work as easilty as possible, and as far as windows does my work,
the ps3 is another matter. it'd always be hooked up to my tv and so i can as well install it, using usb devices for storage. since i plan to get a 32 inch HDTV soon enough, i can work on a large screen, giving my eyes a rest.
as for ther ebay stuff, no thanks! $800 is still too mcuh to pay, i got in contact with one guy in lag who claims he can sell me a ps3 for 90k. he probably obtained his console through illegal means but who cares. although i get vibes like he wants to scam me, but i don't scam easy.

by the way, my fone crashed again, so i lost your number. just mail it to me so i'll always have it.
if you need a way to get new games, you can try www.orderbay.com. these guys help you order stuff from overseas for 10% of the value. it's totallyon the level, it's run by my friend's sister. i'm trying to order a 32 inch HDTV (sony BRAVIA) from amazon.com with this. buying a HDTV in nigeria is sheer lunacy.

the wii also sounds interesting, but like most gaming barbarians, i wont touch a co0nsole that doesnt have soccer on it.

also i've gotten the condemned for pc, so if you want it,
Festus/jinus recently told me he has Xbox 360 oblivion so you might see him for that
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by Christino(m): 12:02pm On Dec 01, 2006
Those extortionists called Apple?
Thanks to Linux in the first place! Now back to topic.

Okay, they'll invent their extremely gorgeous i-Consl (for instance) with 256MB RAM, 4GB HDD two wireless gamepads with keypads and remote for your i-pod (no viruses), free online connectivity and a few bad ass games (i don't see them getting all the game formats in a single year) and then ask us to buy each for $5,000. Yes, and that's it!

Meanwhile, if Apple are strictly hardware based, though they have their OS and other programs, then SONY are Double Hardware based!

In summary, their console will get all of the hype and publicity and will sell like wildfire (everyone knows and thinks the apple is classy, packaging and finishing is always excellent and attractive) but the world would go bankrupt in a year because of the prices, and Koreans would need to work even harder to produce its counterfeit!

The guy who hacked the i-tunes is a 23 year old boy, Johansen (i guess) and I hope he hacks Zune too (Zune has reportedly upstaged the ipod in the mobile mp3 player market, microsoft's marketing is one of the world's best - aggressive and domineering). The hacker has set his company up but might go to jail if Apple press for charges or gain worldwide fame if they lose! All the same people are enjoying his hackery (though it's not free to get his software). I'll post the link when I get it.

The cheapest Apple lappie is $1,200 (before, the closest was $2,000) when you can get some brand new "correct pc based lappies for $400).
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by texazzpete(m): 1:39pm On Dec 01, 2006
Christino:

The guy who hacked the i-tunes is a 23 year old boy, Johansen (i guess) and I hope he hacks Zune too (Zune has reportedly upstaged the ipod in the mobile mp3 player market, microsoft's marketing is one of the world's best - aggressive and domineering). The hacker has set his company up but might go to jail if Apple press for charges or gain worldwide fame if they lose! All the same people are enjoying his hackery (though it's not free to get his software). I'll post the link when I get it.

not really. zune cornered only 9% of the sales chart when it came out. guess which other iconic mp3 player has the biggest portionof the sales? the ipod!

i agree with you, apple products are overpriced, and i hate it when apple fanboys come crowing about the beauty of they devices, not caring that they paid far more than they're supposed to.
i mean, i love my ipod video but apple not allowing you cahnge the ipod battery is criminal. from what i hear, the battery performance is seriously degraded over time, and when it dies, you gotta buy another ipod. that sucks
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by osegwu(m): 5:57pm On Dec 01, 2006
texazzpete:

not really. zune cornered only 9% of the sales chart when it came out. guess which other iconic mp3 player has the biggest portionof the sales? the ipod!

i agree with you, apple products are overpriced, and i hate it when apple fanboys come crowing about the beauty of they devices, not caring that they paid far more than they're supposed to.
i mean, i love my ipod video but apple not allowing you cahnge the ipod battery is criminal. from what i hear, the battery performance is seriously degraded over time, and when it dies, you gotta buy another ipod. that sucks

texazzpete

I agree with you completely. Couldn't have putting it any better
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by gbadex1(m): 7:41pm On Dec 01, 2006
Lol, Microsoft groupies and fan boys. . . Apple just seems to get enough of 'em. cheesy
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by dakmanzero(m): 1:44am On Dec 02, 2006
@tp

1) You figures on zune, mmmmm. Amazon figures showed zune as 5th and 9th best selling (black/brown). 4th was a creative player, 123 were ipods of different colours. If they didnt group by colour, zune may have been 2nd best selling mp3 player, not bad for a new arrival.

2) A friend of mine opened my ipod mini and changed the battery! yes its possible! NON- DESTRUCTIVE! You just need to be a bit brave. It works perfectly and now has a new lease of life due to revamped battery life!

3) Wii will get soccer. Be patient.

PS: Got oblivion on pc, prolly wont be getting it from festus with his inane price tags! Also im blowing my wad on importing Gears of war tongue
Re: What If Apple Decides To Make Their Own Game Console? by OkinBizkit: 12:46am On Dec 05, 2006
As a Apple Fanatic/groupie/junkie i will grab thier console just so i would have it

I have played and Finished Gears of War, and it definately outclassed PS3's Fall of Man

My Platinum Trophies / Cool Game Warnation / Live Banker For Ghana Bonanza [5/9/2014]

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84