Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March (1465 Views)

FG Approves N701bn To Boost Electricity Generation / Daily Electricity Generation Update / Hydro Plants Boost Electricity Generation To 3,686.3mw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by EnergyWA: 10:21am On Mar 31, 2016
Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March
by Babatunde Idrisu

March has been an interesting month in Nigeria’s electricity sector. Vulnerabilities in the electricity sector was evident as the relative stability of generation enjoyed over the last few months was disrupted by gas pipeline vandalism. Power generation dropped as low as 274MW in the first half of the month. The figure below shows the Electricity generation for March:

[img]http://westafricanenergy.files./2016/03/electricity-generation-march.png?w=696[/img]
Electricity Generation for March (Data from [1])

A lot of work needs to be done to build the resilience of the grid. It is hoped that with the budget passed, more work goes towards building the resilience and security of electricity infrastructure.

Babatunde Idrisu is a PhD Candidate of Energy and Environmental Policy from the University of Delaware. He also has a masters in energy management and policy from the Pennsylvania State University and has conducted multiple research work on renewable energy, energy policy and electricity markets.

Reference

Nigerian Electricity System Operator, (2016), System Operation Charts, Generation Statistics, Retrieved from: http://www.nsong.org/PerformanceChart.aspx

https://westafricanenergy./2016/03/31/electricity-generation-in-nigeria-for-the-month-of-march/

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by EnergyWA: 10:28am On Mar 31, 2016
cc:Mynd44, Lalasticlala
Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by Nobody: 10:37am On Mar 31, 2016
Babatunde Idrisu is a PhD Candidate of Energy and Environmental Policy from the University of Delaware. He also has a masters in energy management and policy from the Pennsylvania State University and has conducted multiple research work on renewable energy, energy policy and electricity markets. When is he coming to help his fatherland (Nigeria) undecided Rather than wasting his time plotting graph on excel sheet undecided

Meanwhile Jonathan sef embarassed cry sad angry
500 MW on the 9th of March embarassed
PDP embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by EnergyWA: 10:41am On Mar 31, 2016
Keneking:
[s]Babatunde Idrisu is a PhD Candidate of Energy and Environmental Policy from the University of Delaware. He also has a masters in energy management and policy from the Pennsylvania State University and has conducted multiple research work on renewable energy, energy policy and electricity markets. When is he coming to help his fatherland (Nigeria) undecided Rather than wasting his time plotting graph on excel sheet undecided[/s]

Meanwhile Jonathan sef embarassed cry sad angry
500 MW on the 9th of March embarassed
PDP embarassed embarassed embarassed

There were similar disruptions in GEJ's time. It is a systemic problem.
Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by spacyzuma(m): 10:42am On Mar 31, 2016
Most of our power plants depend on good gas supply.

Clearly, our Nation is very vulnerable to interruptions in gas supply and pipeline vandalism.

I say we need a special task force to patrol and secure our gas pipelines. This is an avenue to create employment.
Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by rottennaija(m): 10:46am On Mar 31, 2016
This video was very educative... I'll post the link here. Fashola is really laying to Nigerians the challenges in our power sector.

YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSidRBYNr58&feature=youtu.be

Download options 3gp, mp4, fly. Note: use Ucbrowser
https://m.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=QSidRBYNr58&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by EnergyWA: 10:46am On Mar 31, 2016
spacyzuma:
Most of our power plants depend on good gas supply.

Clearly, our Nation is very vulnerable to interruptions in gas supply and pipeline vandalism.

I say we need a special task force to patrol and secure our gas pipelines. This is an avenue to create employment.

Unfortunately, we are too dependent on gas and missing the other opportunities that exist particularly with distributed energy.
Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by spacyzuma(m): 10:51am On Mar 31, 2016
EnergyWA:

Unfortunately, we are too dependent on gas and missing the other opportunities that exist particularly with distributed energy.

Are you talking about renewables (Solar, wind) and independent power generation?

I agree that while we are focusing too much on fossil fuels, I think gas power plants (GPPs) are necessary for a short-term (<3 yrs) solution. They can help the petroleum companies to reduce gas flaring, and I believe GPPs are quicker & more cot-effective to build.

Solar is a great resource that we need to be looking at too. The cost is dropping every year, and we have large amounts of land that can be utilized in the north. But our short-sighted and selfish leaders... sigh
Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by EnergyWA: 11:16am On Mar 31, 2016
spacyzuma:

Are you talking about renewables (Solar, wind) and independent power generation?

I agree that while we are focusing too much on fossil fuels, I think gas power plants (GPPs) are necessary for a short-term (<3 yrs) solution. They can help the petroleum companies to reduce gas flaring, and I believe GPPs are quicker & more cot-effective to build.

Solar is a great resource that we need to be looking at too. The cost is dropping every year, and we have large amounts of land that can be utilized in the north. But our short-sighted and selfish leaders... sigh

It is not just government. Citizens are the ones vandalizing electricity infrastructure.

Solar and Small hydro mini grids are areas of opportunity especially for areas disconnected from the grid. Instead of investing money in building transmission infrastructure, perhaps we can bring energy services to people quicker by developing alternative energy resources.

i am worried about what seems to be Nigeria's relentless drive towards nuclear energy.

I know there is a lot of work, going on in the Nigerian power sector. Let's hope, it begins to bear fruits.
Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by EnergyWA: 11:24am On Mar 31, 2016
rottennaija:
This video was very educative... I'll post the link here. Fashola is really laying to Nigerians the challenges in our power sector.

YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSidRBYNr58&feature=youtu.be

Download options 3gp, mp4, fly. Note: use Ucbrowser
https://m.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=QSidRBYNr58&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the video...
Re: Electricity Generation In Nigeria For The Month Of March by spacyzuma(m): 11:50am On Mar 31, 2016
EnergyWA:
Citizens are the ones vandalizing electricity infrastructure.

Very true. We are mostly the architects of our own misfortunes.

EnergyWA:
I am worried about what seems to be Nigeria's relentless drive towards nuclear energy.

I have worked in that sector. I believe Nuclear can be a viable part of our energy generation, but not yet. Not soon. Not in the next 20 years.
Nigeria hasn't reached that level of scientific acumen, technological infrastructure, and HU attitudes to develop a NPP.
As it is, the government allocates funds to the NNRA and NAEC every year, but it's mostly due to the political "influences" of a few men.
I personally believe most of that money would be better spent on developing independent solar generation around the country.
I don't want to say more smiley

EnergyWA:

I know there is a lot of work, going on in the Nigerian power sector. Let's hope, it begins to bear fruits.
The amount of work going on is commendable. The amount of work that still needs to be done is shockingly huge. I don't envy Fashola, his team, and the professionals who are working on this. May they succeed. Nigeria really needs it.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

APC Members Chanting No During Edo APC Governorship Rally / US House Of Representatives Cited Nigeria As The Most Dangerous Place to Live / Ojukwu Would Have Gone To War Over Kanu’s Detention – MASSOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.