Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,922 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal (4346 Views)

Nigeria Vs Australia: FIFA U-17 World Cup: (6 - 0) On 29th October 2015 / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! / Mexico V Nigeria: FIFA U-17 World Cup (1 - 6) on 19 Oct 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by mbulela: 6:21am On Jul 28, 2009
Editorial Jul 28, 2009
THE Federal Executive Council approval of  N8.2 billion for the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA,  to meet standards for hosting the FIFA U-17 World Championship in Nigeria, which is only three months away, is a scandal in the works.

Government’s decision  has raised many questions.
The House of Representatives Committee on Information had reminded the Ministry of Information and Communication that the budget has no provision for the N8.2 billion that would be applied to converting NTA’s standard definition equipment to high definition, but the Ministry is determined to continue with the dubious move that would waste tax payers’ money.
The Federal Government spent more than $28 million in upgrading the same equipment for the All Africa Games six years ago.
The new contract would merely fit new equipment into the carcass of outside broadcasting vans and other equipment that are bowing to changes in technology. It is an expensive and avoidable waste.
Equally alarming is the fact that the main supplier of the equipment told the Ministry that standard definition television, SDTV, cannot be upgraded to high definition television, HDTV, because of differences in the technologies.
The Ministry ignored this advice for obvious reasons.
Part of the reason is that this contract is time bound. It is tied to the hosting of the FIFA U-17 World Cup. Without the FIFA event, the proponents of this scandal cannot have any basis for telling government to incur this type of expenditure.
Those who are deceiving the Federal Government know that new equipment cannot be built and installed for NTA between now and the competition.
They opted for renovation of existing equipment in order to save time. The move also creates the impression that they are prudent managers of resources, who are willing to improve existing facilities rather than buy new ones. This is another farce.
One of the two companies the Ministry of Information and Communication claims would do the upgrading, had advised NTA to buy new equipment at a cost that is 20 per cent lower than that for renovation. Its technical advice was that the upgrading from SDTV to HDTV was not technologically practicable. The Ministry is continuing with the venture into which it would sink N8.2 billion.
There are more reasons to call on government to look at this contract again. Last September, South Africa bought brand new equipment, of far superior quality and quantity for the 2009 Confederation Cup and the 2010 World Cup at N6.7 billion from the same supplier that would renovate NTA equipment.
Why would renovation of outdated equipment be more expensive than buying new and superior equipment with warranties?
Government’s preaching about financial discipline must start making sense. At a time of economic slump, and with many issues contending for the slimming national purse, it is an unacceptable waste for government to plough diminishing resources into renovation of outdated equipment.
It is worse t
http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/index.php/Editorial/N8.2-Billion-NTA-Scandal.html
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by informat09(m): 12:18pm On Jul 28, 2009
SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

FOR HOW LONG WE GO DEY SCAM OURSELVES FOR THIS COUNTRY
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by skalamanga: 12:25pm On Jul 28, 2009
na wa o, Dora whats happening? you go wound o,
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by Nezan(m): 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2009
when do we stop crying in this country?,,,,,,all our infrastructure are decaying,,,,the roads, power, etc,,,,,,and the priority now is equipment upgrade for NTA,,,,pity cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by desgiezd(m): 12:40pm On Jul 28, 2009
Why would renovation of outdated equipment be more expensive than buying new and superior equipment with warranties?

In Nigerian situation coupled with the preference of a government that can not differentiate between its right and left hands, renovation at a higher cost is better and far more preferable to buying a new and superior equipment. By the way, if this is not done, how would the thieves in power line their pockets? Lets not forget that lining their pockets ranks higher in priority than getting a world standard equipment.

Its only in Nigeria that SDTV would be renovated to HDTV.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by blacksta(m): 12:46pm On Jul 28, 2009
My thinking i thought SDTV is far better than HDTV
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by tayoast(m): 12:52pm On Jul 28, 2009
See it as part of The Re-branding Shit!

When they can procure new equipments @ cheaper cost, they prefer to do wat professionals tagged impossible.

Hw do u want to upgrade Video Cassette Player to a DVD player. This is pathetic.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by TheSeeker(m): 1:06pm On Jul 28, 2009
Nigeria is dead; can we all observe a moment of silence? angry
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by agitator: 1:18pm On Jul 28, 2009
TheSeeker:

Nigeria is dead; can we all observe a moment of silence? angry
my broda, we don observe years already
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by 9jaHope(m): 1:22pm On Jul 28, 2009
No comments. . . . cry cry cry cry cry
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by desgiezd(m): 1:30pm On Jul 28, 2009
HDTV is of a higher grade. By definition SDTV means Standard Definition Television while HDTV is High Definition Television
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by TheSeeker(m): 1:38pm On Jul 28, 2009
desgiezd:

HDTV is of a higher grade. By definition SDTV means Standard Definition Television while HDTV is High Definition Television
The opposite is the meaning in Nigeria.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by theviper1: 1:50pm On Jul 28, 2009
so why dont we line these criminals up and shot them through the heads (as its done in china) and made their families to pay the govt for the wasted bullets.what type of a country is this for the love of mike!. and who the hell is the minister responsible for this mess? its a crying shame and the world is watching. cry cry cry
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by nex(m): 2:00pm On Jul 28, 2009
Well, It's not really a scandal yet.

Afterall, the government of Britain gives BBC 8 billion Pounds Sterling every year and they can't still meet up with CNN.

Meanwhile, HDTV is far ahead of SDTV. Even your normal DVD cannot display an entire movie in HD format.

Standard Definition Equipment can be upgraded to High Definition Equipment far cheaper than it can be replaced.

It is some components that need to be changed not the whole thing tossed away. MTN upgraded from 2.5 G to 3 G without touching a single mast.

You know how these things are. Nigerians never take action, so money must always be chopped. But It's not yet a scandal. Let's wait for it.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by blackchief(m): 2:04pm On Jul 28, 2009
the day we get to know that Mama Dora have a hidden agenda in the Federal Ministry of Communication, the better it will be for every one concern. If she can't have NCC (Nigerian Communication Commission) and she will take NTA.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by anonimi: 2:09pm On Jul 28, 2009
Mama Dora go pay pikin wedding to oyinbo man now abi re-branding, even at individual/family level, dey cost dollars nah grin
Ewu rebrander shocked
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 28, 2009
there is nothing that can be done or any kind of transaction done (no matter how little) that does not have cheating in it. even if you buy 1 cigarette, there is a cheating in it. the whole country is infested with cheats. the name should be changed from nigeria to cheatria. i'm ashamed to claim i'm nigerian.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by back2back(f): 2:38pm On Jul 28, 2009
so why dont we line these criminals up and shot them through the heads

if you start with BIG thieves; OBJ, Bode George, Annenih, IBB etc small ones will give up!!!
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by asha80(m): 2:44pm On Jul 28, 2009
back2back:

if you start with BIG thieves; OBJ, Bode George, Annenih, IBB etc small ones will give up!!!

Correct yarns. cool
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by CGKing(m): 3:01pm On Jul 28, 2009
Y r they talking as though Nigerians approved thenonsense, now the project has back fired they r telling it. If we had heard from the beginning we would have known it was a scam because you cant just ugrade NTA to HD as though it is press button activated.

Hmmm! Inspite of everything happening around us, these dogs are still plunging the country down as though its their mission statement.
Abeg make una no disturb me with nonsense o.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by agitator: 3:14pm On Jul 28, 2009
back2back:

I disagree you fit shoot the small errand boys we no get immunity. Then them no go get anybodyto send thief for them again.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by anonimi: 3:23pm On Jul 28, 2009
agitator:

I disagree you fit shoot the small errand boys we no get immunity. Then them no go get anybodyto send thief for them again.

back2back:

there are many ways to solve any particular problem. . . the above represent two ways, out of so many, for solving the hydra-headed problem of corruption in Nigeria.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by Witi(m): 3:27pm On Jul 28, 2009
Can Nigeria be delivered from corruption? NO because as we are trying to control one fire another is being ignited from 1960 till date. I think we should start praying for ourselves and stop wasting our time praying for Nigeria cos the Nation called Nigeria is Cursed.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by inki(f): 3:48pm On Jul 28, 2009
imagine if they had pumped that money into d power sector at least my area for get light now, or did fifa beg them to sponsor shit our leaders are smt else, what do they ever do with their brains when they're on that seat sad undecided undecided
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by Witi(m): 3:51pm On Jul 28, 2009
inki:

imagine if they had pumped that money into d power sector at least my area for get light now,  or did fifa beg them to sponsor shit our leaders are smt else, what do they ever do with their brains when they're on that seat sad undecided undecided

To strategize on the next avenue to steal. Their brain is filled with one thing to steal!  Steal!!! Steal!!! public fund.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by Larufa(m): 3:57pm On Jul 28, 2009
This is part of the REBRANDING process-- Good People Great Nation.

And to Prof. Dora:-
You can deceive some of the people all the time.
You can deceive all the people some of the time.
But You can deceive all the people all the time.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by stagger: 4:32pm On Jul 28, 2009
cheesy cheesy cheesy

A case of a priest about to be ordained on Monday, and as at the preceding Saturday, he hasn't even heard of ST. John's gospel!

Ha ha ha ha! cheesy cheesy

This our govt; everyday we get something new and unheard of!

1 Like

Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by CGKing(m): 4:40pm On Jul 28, 2009
Witi:

Can Nigeria be delivered from corruption? NO because as we are trying to control one fire another is being ignited from 1960 till date. I think we should start praying for ourselves and stop wasting our time praying for Nigeria cos the Nation called Nigeria is Cursed.

Yes Nigeria can be delivered. Just call for a national conference on Nigeria's reconvered funds, or find a way to lure all the politicians, governors, govt officials to a location and detonate a nuclear weapon.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by kizi: 5:54pm On Jul 28, 2009
stagger:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

A case of a priest about to be ordained on Monday, and as at the preceding Saturday, he hasn't even heard of ST. John's gospel!

Ha ha ha ha! cheesy cheesy

This our govt; everyday we get something new and unheard of!

I can't stop laughing after reading most comments here but it's true the Govt. has failed in terms of fighting against corruption, anyway sha thank God for democracy.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by Becomrich: 5:58pm On Jul 28, 2009
what the NTA should do is have both SD and HDTV running at the same time. This is what they do over here. There are some channel that are SD and some channel that are HD.

On the issue of supply of the equipment my phone number is country code (01) 416 904 5008.  This equipment can be supplied  before the world cup takes places. I know naija like soccer. Just call my number or email me at amusiwa@hotmail.com . I know someone that can help you out. I would give you the person number.
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by ikeyman00(m): 6:02pm On Jul 28, 2009
hahhaa
Re: N8.2 Billion NTA U-17 World Cup Scandal by JAZES(m): 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2009
Naija is at it again.
May God deliver us from these animals in human skin we call our leaders.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bet9ja Agents Lets Meet Here / 6 Nigerian Players At Euro 2016 / Free Football Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.