Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. (1269 Views)

Bermuda Becomes First Country In The World To Repeal Same Sex Marriage / Trump On SCOTUS: I'm Fine With Same-sex Marriage / 50 People Shot Dead At Florida Gay Nightclub In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 4:24am On Apr 01, 2016
A federal judge ruled Thursday that Mississippi’s ban on same-sex couples adopting children is unconstitutional, making gay adoption legal in all 50 states.

U.S. District Judge Daniel Jordan issued a preliminary injunction against the ban, citing the Supreme Court’s decision legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide last summer. The injunction blocks Mississippi from enforcing its 16-year-old anti-gay adoption law.

The Supreme Court ruling “foreclosed litigation over laws interfering with the right to marry and rights and responsibilities intertwined with marriage,” Jordan wrote. “It also seems highly unlikely that the same court that held a state cannot ban gay marriage because it would deny benefits — expressly including the right to adopt — would then conclude that married gay couples can be denied that very same benefit.”

The challenge to Mississippi’s law was filed last year by four same-sex couples, who were joined by the Campaign for Southern Equality and the Family Equality Council.

“Two sets of our clients have waited many (almost 9 and 16) years to become legal parents to the children they have loved and cared for since birth,” Roberta Kaplan, lead attorney for the plaintiffs, said in a statement. “We hope that it should finally be clear that discrimination against gay people simply because they are gay violates the Constitution in all 50 states, including Mississippi.”

The Human Rights Campaign’s Mississippi state director Rob Hill also praised the ruling.

“This welcome decision affirms that qualified same-sex couples in Mississippi seeking to become adoptive or foster parents are entitled to equal treatment under the law, and commits to the well-being of children in our state who need loving homes,” he said in a statement. “Judge Jordan has repudiated reprehensible efforts by our elected leaders to deny legal rights to our families. They are on the wrong side of history, and today’s decision confirms, yet again, that they are also on the wrong side of the law.”

The one-sentence Mississippi law — which reads, simply, “Adoption by couples of the same gender is prohibited” — was adopted in 2000. While several other states, including Alabama, Florida, Nebraska and Michigan, had similar bans, all have since been overturned.

Mississippi remained the lone holdout until Thursday’s ruling. (Some states still have restrictions on fostering children, however, and other roadblocks for same-sex couples remain.)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mississippi-same-sex-adoption_us_56fdb1a3e4b083f5c607567f?
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by texanomaly(f): 4:31am On Apr 01, 2016
Hmmm I didn't know it was against the law anywhere. I've had students for years with same sex parents.
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by ramdris(m): 5:04am On Apr 01, 2016
Where are the end time crews when u need them? This is the real [size=50pt]END TIME[/size]
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 5:08am On Apr 01, 2016
texanomaly:
Hmmm I didn't know it was against the law anywhere. I've had students for years with same sex parents.
Mississippi was the only hold out state. But the Federal District court ruling, which can be technically overturned by the Supreme Court, will most likely be upheld by the latter.
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by ycat: 6:55am On Apr 01, 2016
I didn't know it was illegal. I know few that have always had adopted children in some states, were they just foster parents or breaking the law?
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by nepapole(m): 7:47am On Apr 01, 2016
I thought they could procreate..i heard men now get pregnant too.
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 01, 2016
Same-sex partnership - Amerika always preaching a faith in god & a belief in satan - gradually falling into the abyss.

@Missy89 - You better abandon that PMC in Guam & relocate down to Ijebu with me. Atleast, I can get you a better job with the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT) in Zaria as a professional flight instructor - Yes? grin

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Missy89(f): 11:12am On Apr 01, 2016
Zoharariel:
Same-sex partnership - Amerika always preaching a faith in god & a belief in satan - gradually falling into the abyss.

@Missy89 - You better abandon that PMC in Guam & relocate down to Ijebu with me. Atleast, I can get you a better job with the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT) in Zaria as a professional flight instructor - Yes? grin

Lmao

And how do you know i work for a PMC?

1 Like

Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by texanomaly(f): 2:24pm On Apr 01, 2016
nepapole:
I thought they could procreate..i heard men now get pregnant too.
undecided
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 01, 2016
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 01, 2016
ycat:
I didn't know it was illegal. I know few that have always had adopted children in some states, were they just foster parents or breaking the law?
It was legal in the other 49 states except Mississippi. This ruling essentially legalizes same-sex adoption in that state.
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by ValerianSteel(m): 5:30pm On Apr 01, 2016
Finally America joins 25 others for full implementation of equality.The American Justice system has delivered once againundecided

Can't wait to hear what Trump and Ted have to say about this grin
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by ycat: 5:04am On Apr 02, 2016
Ok, thanks.
CFCman:

It was legal in the other 49 states except Mississippi. This ruling essentially legalizes same-sex adoption in that state.
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 06, 2016
ycat:
Ok, thanks.
You're welcome
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Pennsylvania: 1:42pm On Apr 06, 2016
Madness continues to increase and get tolorated all in the name of living in a free society. undecided
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Apr 06, 2016
Pennsylvania:
Madness continues to increase and get tolorated all in the name of living in a free society. undecided
End time things
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by ValerianSteel(m): 8:36pm On Apr 06, 2016
Pennsylvania:
To each their definition of Madness.That madness makes the United States of America the world's Greatest Nationundecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by croat: 11:18pm On Apr 06, 2016
As fellow human beings you should't wish ill to other human beings and calling it end of world and satanism is simply delusional, if people were like you then we as a species would be long gone.

2 Likes

Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2016
croat:
As fellow human beings you should't wish ill to other human beings and calling it end of world and satanism is simply delusional, if people were like you then we as a species would be long gone.
Now, the terms 'mother' and 'father' may be phased out in official docs
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by UyiIredia(m): 4:49pm On Apr 12, 2016
This just goes to help on a culture where absurdities are celebrated as normal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 12, 2016
ValerianSteel:
To each their definition of Madness.That madness makes the United States of America the world's Greatest Nationundecided
Re: Same-sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In America. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
ValerianSteel:

Finally America joins 25 others for full implementation of equality.The American Justice system has delivered once againundecided

Can't wait to hear what Trump and Ted have to say about this grin
Its coming to nigeria soon smiley

(1) (Reply)

Rupert Murdoch - The Man Who Decides What The Rest Of Us Should Not Hear / Barack Obama Arrives Kenya For His Sister's Project. See Photos / Can I Get Photos Of Downed Himars Missiles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.