Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,162 members, 7,838,975 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Fuel Subsidy Repayment: na correct confusion government dey exhibit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Repayment: na correct confusion government dey exhibit (468 Views)

Fuel Subsidy Return: There Is A Bigger Fraud Being Perpetrated - Saraki / Fuel Subsidy: 1 Million Nigerians To Receive N5,000 Monthly / Iweala: My Mother Was Kidnapped Because I Advised GEJ To Remove Fuel Subsidy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy Repayment: na correct confusion government dey exhibit by frankijege(m): 11:58am On Apr 03, 2016
So, I heard the Federal government has recommenced the payment of subsidy. By that report, government is paying about N6 per litre.

My reaction? Confusion!!

When government played to the gallery by saying it was removing subsidy, a few of us retained our thinking caps and insisted that it wasn't tenable. You cannot remove subsidy on fuel and retain the power to regulate price. Allow market forces determine that.
More important, is that fact that we are still importing fuel. How can subsidy be removed when 80% of our fuel consumption is imported?

I recall saying fix the refineries; let it at least be able to produce enough quantity
to meet local consumption, then you remove fuel subsidy.

Thirdly, you have not broken the ranks of the cartel and powerful forces within the petroleum sector. They will frustrate you until up go back to them begging. It is already happening.

Finally, you cannot remove subsidy without putting cushioning effects in place. They people will become disorientated and disenchanted. Government will lose popularity and all that. But of super duper minister of state for petroleum matters just woke one morning and announced its removal. Today, most of us who opposed it have been vindicated.

Nobody is happy with the fact that government is paying these huge amounts to a few individuals. But the right should be done in order to find lasting solutions. There is no shut cut to tackling these problems

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy Repayment: na correct confusion government dey exhibit by omogin(f): 12:58pm On Apr 03, 2016
Lovely write up. Now bubu and his budget thieves have to find a way to sneak subsidy into the budget of yams
Re: Fuel Subsidy Repayment: na correct confusion government dey exhibit by Nkemtreasure: 2:36pm On Apr 03, 2016
The most interesting part of this film that we are watching is that no budgetary provision was made for the payment of subsidy.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Repayment: na correct confusion government dey exhibit by ckmayoca: 2:50pm On Apr 03, 2016
Is rice price now regulated?

(1) (Reply)

EXPOSED: Two Customs Officers Filmed Demanding Bribes At Port Harcourt Airport / Ndi Igbo Please Come In Here Lets Discuss Development Of Se / Bad Effects Of Fuel Scarcity On Nigeria's Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.