Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! (27125 Views)

Innocent Chukwuma: "GT Bank Is Using EFCC To Intimidate, Fight Me" / What Happens To The Money In My Savings Account If I Die? / Pls Advise On Which Bank Is Best For Online Banking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by afolakemi: 11:29am On Apr 08, 2016
hotdi:
Yours is even better, Ecobank charge my savings acc monthly even when i didn't withdraw.

I just got an sms from ecobank recently stating that all charges on savings account has stopped. And I've confirmed.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by charlsecy(m): 11:30am On Apr 08, 2016
9jaOfficial:
I just received a similar debit alert of 4,438 Naira for "Withdrawal Fee" in my savings account with First Bank.
Why not hide your account number?
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Themandator: 11:31am On Apr 08, 2016
decub:

Same here, I got 750+ debit for February and 250+ for March, right now, I have packed up my ATM, token and mobile app. Let me do justice to other banks, at least for now.

If it was a thousand or two, it wouldn't have made much impart with some people but deducting a million plus from a friends account in the name of withdrawal fee is crazy.
Another was charged 200k, another 500 plus... It is unacceptable.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by olurotimi1: 11:34am On Apr 08, 2016
omo I tire o, I thought I was the only one in this poo a whole 397naira from a poor guy like me? how much kon remain. there is Good o
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Shigobaba(m): 11:36am On Apr 08, 2016
419 Bank. I beg go and close your account and open GTbank account in which you can withdraw all your money.
VLadipo:
Hello all,

I first got the alerts in early March. I was debited a total of NGN105.00 for withdrawal fee on my SAVINGS account.

Confused, I went to my branch to complain. From time immemorial, we have always known (and were even taught in school) that savings account do yield monthly interests if you do not withdraw more than once from the account within a month.
Hence, I was surprised to get this explanation from the customer service person I met that I was charged withdrawal fee because I withdrew more than once from my savings account. The normal thing should be no interest for that month.
She further explained that the directive was from CBN and that deliberations were still ongoing on whether the policy should hold. She promised that a reversal of the deduction could take place.

Now, just some moments ago, I got 2 alerts indicating that I have been debited a total of NGN105.00 as withdrawal fee for the month of March.
This is in addition to the senseless,unrealistic charges debited from my account as payment for SMS alert every month.

Now, isnt that crazy?

Guys, please can you relate to all these as regards your savings account in your respective banks?

What do I do temporarily while I think of leaving Firstbank for good?

The charges on my savings account have become unbearable and disgusting.

Thank you.

Regards,
VLadipo.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by hotdi(m): 11:37am On Apr 08, 2016
afolakemi:

I just got an sms from ecobank recently stating that all charges on savings account has stopped. And I've confirmed.

That s better o because I have decided to withdraw all my remaining cash there and zoom-off to another bank b4 they finish am 4 me.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Themandator: 11:41am On Apr 08, 2016
validcode2:
I had this same problem last month and got it resolved. I sent mail to firstcontact, complaints departmemt of firstbank and copied CBN with attached CBN Revised guide to bank charges of 2013 circular. Firstbank apologized and refunded the supposed monthly fee which constitute wrongful deduction. My account is savings.

Please, can I have the email address. I need to do same, right away.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Infinitikoncept(m): 11:44am On Apr 08, 2016
I vex collect my own #105 bank shaperly. My wife was like you mailed CBN cox of #105 & I did the calculation for 3million customers not complaining
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by PresidentT(m): 11:45am On Apr 08, 2016
First Bank is just something else. I was shocked too. Got about 2k deducted from my account for withdrawal fee. And another for sms alert (that I don't receive). Somethin need to be done.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by nd07(m): 11:47am On Apr 08, 2016
Are we sure the bank is not using fraudulence to escape distress? pls someone should research ds.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Moahmed: 11:52am On Apr 08, 2016
This new leadership of firstbank are heartless,they want to steal customers funds using charges as excuse.They have recently asked their atm custodians to work from 8 am -11pm with constant threath of sack..Upon all the profit they make they only promote those with strong connection with the ogas.

2 Likes

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by remzytimer: 11:56am On Apr 08, 2016
Close that account and locate GTB 0 naira banking services!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by hippyzuki(f): 11:57am On Apr 08, 2016
Do you use Internet banking
VLadipo:
Hello all,

I first got the alerts in early March. I was debited a total of NGN105.00 for withdrawal fee on my SAVINGS account.

Confused, I went to my branch to complain. From time immemorial, we have always known (and were even taught in school) that savings account do yield monthly interests if you do not withdraw more than once from the account within a month.
Hence, I was surprised to get this explanation from the customer service person I met that I was charged withdrawal fee because I withdrew more than once from my savings account. The normal thing should be no interest for that month.
She further explained that the directive was from CBN and that deliberations were still ongoing on whether the policy should hold. She promised that a reversal of the deduction could take place.

Now, just some moments ago, I got 2 alerts indicating that I have been debited a total of NGN105.00 as withdrawal fee for the month of March.
This is in addition to the senseless,unrealistic charges debited from my account as payment for SMS alert every month.

Now, isnt that crazy?

Guys, please can you relate to all these as regards your savings account in your respective banks?

Thank you.

Regards,
VLadipo.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by billyG(m): 12:00pm On Apr 08, 2016
Hav u pple 4gotten that 1st Bank was fine #trillions for concealing money belonging to fed.government,they want 2 get that money back by fraudalent charges,some1 shld petition EFCC.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by possibilita(m): 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2016
First bank and all 9ja banks are joke especially first bank,I try withdrawing about a week ago and atm say "temporally unable to dispense" but those idiots deduce ma money,I don complain tire,both online and I even went to d bank and was told it would reverse its been a week now yet ntn,I went there yesterday same story.the truth is that we are d ones serving the banks not the other way.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by VLadipo: 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2016
Shigobaba:
419 Bank. I beg go and close your account and open GTbank account in which you can withdraw all your money.

Sure, I have withdrawn the little change I have left. But closing it outright is difficult because of the token and internet banking I spent some money to set up with them. I think I'll just abandon the account for now.
I have GT Bank account just that I lost the ATM. But I think GTBank now allows the use of withdrawal slip within the banking hall. So it's alright.
It was PayPal that took me to Firstbank in the first instance.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by VLadipo: 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2016
hippyzuki:
Do you use Internet banking

Yes
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Image123(m): 12:02pm On Apr 08, 2016
All these useless banks send me the same unsolicited text message everyday on how to top up my airtime. Then they'll deduct alert fee,tax fee, admin fee at the end of the month. All these are efforts to frustrate the federal government who reduced the free money banks were getting from government bonds and introduction of TSA. Banks should look for clean and brilliant ways and ideas of making money, not this crude way they've employed.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by VLadipo: 12:04pm On Apr 08, 2016
kings09:
Close ur acct or withdraw all ur money n go open in anoda bank wit lesser charges. Nigerians like 2 complain n not act. Tnk God I neva open acct wit dem cos I was considering.

It's not easy to close the account like that. I use it mostly for internet banking and online payments. My clients already have the account number. But I'll just abandon it for now.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by decub: 12:04pm On Apr 08, 2016
Themandator:

If it was a thousand or two, it wouldn't have made much impart with some people but deducting a million plus from a friends account in the name of withdrawal fee is crazy.
Another was charged 200k, another 500 plus... It is unacceptable.
Even the calculation they did for me at the bank is wrong cos they said it's 1/1000 multiplied by the cumulative of the debit transactions. Similar thing happened to me in January but that was monthly charge which they later reverted. I think they might revert this too.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by hippyzuki(f): 12:06pm On Apr 08, 2016
VLadipo:

Yes

It happens to me as well. Anytime i transfer money to any account other than a first bank account i get charged 105 naira. Basically if u stop using the internet banking facility you would be fine
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by decub: 12:07pm On Apr 08, 2016
billyG:
Hav u pple 4gotten that 1st Bank was fine #trillions for concealing money belonging to fed.government,they want 2 get that money back by fraudalent charges,some1 shld petition EFCC.
I have even sent them a tweet and copied CBN and EFCC. Only if it can get retweets and go viral @decublala
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by VLadipo: 12:08pm On Apr 08, 2016
shidof:
I used to think that i'm the only one, First have charged me for 2 consecutive months now, monthly fees and VAT apart from the normal exorbitant sms fees. Because of the fees, I refused to withdrawed from there bank last month, but to my greatest surprise, monthly fees was still deducted from my account and another #32.00 for SMS. Even d fidelity bank i used throughout the month only deducted #9.00 from my account.I think First Bank is now turning into a fraud bank. I'm still vexing till tdy by there last year mistake that forced me to collect 2 ATM cards within 6 months.

My brother, don't mind them. It's their new policy.
I called first contact and the lady that responded told me that they now charge monthly access fee in addition to the withdrawal fee.
The first time I went to complain at my branch, the customer care lady I met told me it's a CBN directive. Even today, she repeated it until I called First Contact. Such a liar!
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by ideygoabroad(f): 12:09pm On Apr 08, 2016
If you have a proof of the deduction report to Consumer Protection Council (CPC)
@ www.cpc.gov.ng they attend to you promptly
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by VLadipo: 12:09pm On Apr 08, 2016
hippyzuki:

It happens to me as well. Anytime i transfer money to any account other than a first bank account i get charged 105 naira. Basically if u stop using the internet banking facility you would be fine

No. This is aside the transfer charges. All banks charge NGN105.0 for online transfer.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Chastekingkong(m): 12:16pm On Apr 08, 2016
Same things happened on my account yesterday..I withdraw 1000,first bank withdraw 210...Me don tired for first bank oh
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by Kgdavid(m): 12:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
VLadipo:
Hello all,

Now, isnt that crazy?

Thank you.

Regards,
VLadipo.

Why should you be making withdrawals from your savings account for free when you get paid to keep money therein? Oh you thought banks just magically create the money that they pay as interest to those who do not withdraw? Or you thought savings accounts are a public service??

That 105 naira is even too small Mr.

SMH.

1 Like

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by kings09(m): 12:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
OK. Then I ll advise u always clear out ur money as soon as deposits hv bn made.i dnt blame them, it's d system dats encouraging dem. D system fights for dem rather than d citizens. Sumtin is definitely wrong wit dis country
VLadipo:

It's not easy to close the account like that. I use it mostly for internet banking and online payments. My clients already have the account number. But I'll just abandon it for now.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by abuwasilah(m): 12:28pm On Apr 08, 2016
Dear Nairalanders,
I think the Nigerians need the intervention of the Federal Government to caution the activities of our banks. This extortion is getting too much. I also get the alert for the deduction of N979=00.
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by VLadipo: 12:31pm On Apr 08, 2016
Kgdavid:

Why should you be making withdrawals from your savings account for free when you get paid to keep money therein? Oh you thought banks just magically create the money that they pay as interest to those who do not withdraw? Or you thought savings accounts are a public service??

That 105 naira is even too small Mr.

SMH.

Mr man, it is not by force to run a bank.

Banks by statute have a corporate social responsibility to provide a measure of 'free services' to their customers.
That's why banks unlike most businesses are regulated by the CBN. A bank cannot just spring up and close down anyhow.
Haven't I been charged for ATM? Don't I have a minimum balance of NGN1000 in their care?

All over the world and even in academic curriculum, current and savings accounts are clearly defined and have their unique characteristics and features. Banks are free to create their personalised banking products and treat their customers who patronise those products anyhow they like.

2 Likes

Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by EDUECO(m): 12:40pm On Apr 08, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:
LOL, so some people still believe in saving account interest.

Their is noting like saving account anymore, if you don't withdraw your money, the bank will help you withdraw the money through their charges.

That best why to save your money, is investing in funds that will protect the capital and add interests.
A dividend of at least 10 percent is better than Savings Account! And this is the period of getting dividends in the Nigerian Stock Exchange! #All banks are the same!
Re: Help! First Bank Is Charging Me Monthly Withdrawal Fee On My Savings Acct!! by magicfingers009: 12:40pm On Apr 08, 2016
bemyguest:

With the above write up one can clearly deduced that you one of them.

With an unbiased mind, would you like not to be paid for services rendered to your clients considering your Operating Expenses, Staff Salaries and keeping your job with the Board? Banks are not NGOs. I'm not a banker but a businessman would knows everything we do must reflect positively at the "Bottom Line" of our Income statement.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We’ll Push Dollar To N305—CBN Boasts / Ghanaian Traders Lock Shops Belonging To Nigerians & Other Foreigners / Naira Weakens To N458 Per Dollar At Parallel Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.