Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,039 members, 7,953,128 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:07 AM

How To House Break My Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To House Break My Dog (1073 Views)

Snake Killed By My Dog Last Night / Why I Named My Dog ‘buhari’ — Joe Chinakwe / My Dog Is The Cutest And Most Photogenic In Nigeria == Prove Me Wrong! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To House Break My Dog by Lavendra(f): 1:09am On Apr 04, 2016
I need suggestions... I'll be getting an adult Samoyed soon I'm living in a self contain that has a balcony, I'm just thinking where would the dog poop and pee, I don't want accidents like pooing and peeing on the bed, or is the bathroom a better place? I can't keep taking her out constantly because I live upstairs on the first floor though and I normally go to school any suggestions?
Re: How To House Break My Dog by Emmacolinho(m): 7:19am On Apr 04, 2016
Construct a suitable cage downstairs for it that will do the job.
Re: How To House Break My Dog by Lavendra(f): 8:37am On Apr 04, 2016
she is a pet I can't just cage her down stairs...
Re: How To House Break My Dog by LordRegalia: 9:06am On Apr 10, 2016
Lavendra:
I need suggestions... I'll be getting an adult Samoyed soon I'm living in a self contain that has a balcony, I'm just thinking where would the dog poop and pee, I don't want accidents like pooing and peeing on the bed, or is the bathroom a better place? I can't keep taking her out constantly because I live upstairs on the first floor though and I normally go to school any suggestions?

Hello Lavendra,

First of all, an adult dog is much more difficult to housebreak than a pup. If at all it is possible for any individual adult dog, it generally takes a much longer time.

Regardless, pup or adult, if you are getting one, you just have to develop a routine of taking her out at regular periods of time to poop and pee, even if you live at the top floor of a skyscraper (unless you have an indoor garden complete with soil and drainage built into your place of residence).

To successfully housebreak, you need a crate or small confinement space within which to place the dog for the duration of the training. And then you need to develop a regular feeding schedule for your dog and study it's pooing and peeing habits, tell-tale signs and holding limits and then work formulate your routine of taking her out around those.

Unless you absolutely do not want to have to take her out to do her business and are absolutely fine with finding a place WITHIN your house for the dog to do these things, then good luck with that. But do not be so surprised when your regular visitors become not-so-regular. In any case I can guarantee you would not like the set up with your dog doing all that in the house.

Best of luck.
Re: How To House Break My Dog by Lavendra(f): 9:26am On Apr 10, 2016
lol regular visitor becoming not so regular because of an adult dog in the house or because of the poop and pee?
Re: How To House Break My Dog by LordRegalia: 10:59am On Apr 10, 2016
Lavendra:
lol regular visitor becoming not so regular because of an adult dog in the house or because of the poop and pee?

The poop and pee. Your house will stink up despite your best efforts at cleaning.
Re: How To House Break My Dog by Lavendra(f): 3:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
oh no, what do I do nau? I'll have to feed her in the mornings then take her out to pee and poop?
Re: How To House Break My Dog by LordRegalia: 6:38pm On Apr 10, 2016
Lavendra:
oh no, what do I do nau? I'll have to feed her in the mornings then take her out to pee and poop?

Mornings, afternoons, evenings and nights for a wee pup. Before and after meals and during play time.

Mornings, afternoons and night for an older pup. Before and after meals.

Mornings, and evenings or nights for an adolescent or young adult dog. Before meals. And a little later after the night meal.

Mornings and nights for an adult dog. Before or after meals

And when you are not monitoring / supervising the dog during these intervals, then it should be in the crate or confinement space to prevent accidents. This crate should be just large enough for the dog to stand, turn around and lie down in. If it is too big, the dog will do it's business inside it and possibly roll around in it and then you would have the double chore of cleaning both crate and dog. This would be counter-productive to the entire housebreaking and potty training effort. The crate is needed only for the duration the dog is learning the discipline and routine until he / she can hold the poop / pee in until the appointed time to go out. After that, the dog would not need it anymore and would be able to roam free in the house and hold it until the appointed time.

Routine and discipline will get both you and the dog there.

The above guidelines are for when you are raising a wee pup and as the dog grows. But for an adult dog, you need to start from scratch as well and not jump directly into the morning and night routine. It all depends on how long each individual dog can hold it in and it is up to you to monitor them to determine their limits.

(1) (Reply)

A Caucasian Puppy For Sale / Male Chicks Ground Alive By Egg Factories! (Graphic Video)! / Re: Food Grade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.