Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,200 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi (9418 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo: I Will Commit Suicide By Hanging If Nigeria Loses Hope / Nigeria Loses $9bn To Illegal Mining In 2 Years / Nigeria Loses N15bn To Illegal Sale Of PHCN Assets – Reps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by NewsPoacher: 8:00pm On Apr 04, 2016
Gold Price Per Ounce - $ 1,219.13

Gold Price Per Kg - $ 39,195.94

Nigeria loses 100kg of gold daily to illegal miners – Fayemi (30,000kg monthly)

April 3, 2016 Press Release

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Kayode Fayemi, has challenged security agencies in the country to come up with technology that could be deployed to track the use of explosives for which permits were given in the country.

The minister who disclosed that part of his tasks as minister in charge of solid minerals development is to sign explosives permits for use in quarries and mining sites, said it is important to also track their use as part of efforts to curtail activities of insurgent groups and violent crimes in the country.

Mr. Fayemi who spoke as a guest lecturer at the National Defence College, Abuja on Friday, said there should be a technological approach to tracking the use of explosives by those who sought and obtained permit for its use so that it does not end up in the hands of those who would use it for criminal purposes.

The Minister also assured the gathering that the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration is committed to ensuring that the Ajaokuta Steel company works, in order to boost the country’s technological development.

“This will also help us in the areas of arms and ammunitions. And the defence industry will also benefit from this when we get it right”, he added.

The Minister who spoke on “Solid Minerals and National Development in Nigeria”, lamented that the country was losing a lot to illegal mining activities, being carried out by some citizens aided by some foreigners.

He said the ministry was collaborating with relevant security agencies to ensure that the ugly trend is stopped.

Specifically, he pointed out that about 100 kilogramme of gold leaves the country everyday without any record, adding that there is need to deploy technology, build capacity of staff of the ministry and get the required assistance from the security agencies to check the situation.

He disclosed that part of the efforts of the ministry is to also educate security agents on how to identify these minerals.

“Many of them do not recognise these minerals. So, in most cases they do not know the value of what the person is taking out illegally.

“so we are partnering with security agencies, the customs, immigration, police, civil defence, to assist us.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/201196-nigeria-loses-100kg-gold-daily-illegal-miners-fayemi.html

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by chriskosherbal(m): 8:02pm On Apr 04, 2016
The government should tighten up security.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 04, 2016
Ah. Fayemi. You are alive. We thank God. Welcome back from the invincible cabinet.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Toosure70: 8:09pm On Apr 04, 2016
jerseyboy apost=44408166:
Ah. Fayemi. You are alive. We thank God. Welcome back from the invincible cabinet.
tell me any visible minister from your region. second class region

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by 2boiz(m): 8:17pm On Apr 04, 2016
Seriously, I don 4get say Fayemi dey among our ministers sef.

JKF but why
We've not heard from u since u were made minister, even if na lies and propaganda u go dey talk like Lie Mohammed, just dey talk am make we dey feel u too (even tho u fit no perform)

I av come to realise also that all the ones that performed well during the ministerial screening are now finding it difficult to perform in reality... God help us o

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Tunami(m): 8:23pm On Apr 04, 2016
Toosure70:
ur comments seems to be tribalistic, grow up man.

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by afroniger: 8:26pm On Apr 04, 2016
Smh. I guess he's referring to those illegal Chinese gold miners and their Nigerian co-conspirators at Osun state. sad To think that some people somewhere are feeding fat on such illegality. Gov't needs to do more to arrest the situation coz it's unacceptable. We are talking multiple billions of naira worth of gold being smuggled out of this shores unaccounted for every month!

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Ahmed0336(m): 8:29pm On Apr 04, 2016
Fayemi what measures have you put in place to stop illegal mining? How him take know say na 100kg miners dey mine daily? Just curious

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Toosure70: 8:30pm On Apr 04, 2016
Tunami:
ur comments seems to be tribalistic, grow up man.
then tell me how visible of the last 16years solid mineral minister?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Tunami(m): 8:34pm On Apr 04, 2016
Toosure70:
then tell me how visible of the last 16years solid mineral minister?
i knw you're right but there are tribalistic words in the comment.
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by gen2briz(m): 8:35pm On Apr 04, 2016
Fayemi....... You suppose keep this your discovery till this fuel saga. You guys have given us to much to battle with, and you still want us to join this your discovery with it abi.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by iyb(m): 8:36pm On Apr 04, 2016
zamfara state and illegal gold mines grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Ahmeduana(m): 8:46pm On Apr 04, 2016
NewsPoacher:
Gold Price Per Ounce - $ 1,219.13

Gold Price Per Kg - $ 39,195.94

Read complete article at:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/201196-nigeria-loses-100kg-gold-daily-illegal-miners-fayemi.html

Lalasticala, Mynd44.

YOU SHOULD START WORK AND STOP TALKING.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by afroniger: 8:55pm On Apr 04, 2016
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Fmartin(m): 11:31pm On Apr 04, 2016
Since wen did it start, hon. Minister
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Brimmie(m): 12:37am On Apr 05, 2016
2boiz:
Seriously, I don 4get say Fayemi dey among our ministers sef.

JKF but why
We've not heard from u since u were made minister, even if na lies and propaganda u go dey talk like Lie Mohammed, just dey talk am make we dey feel u too (even tho u fit no perform)

I av come to realise also that all the ones that performed well during the ministerial screening are now finding it difficult to perform in reality... God help us o

grin grin

Apart from Kachikwu, Adeosun and Fashola.. Which other ones dey talk??

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by MeAndYou(m): 5:03am On Apr 05, 2016
Every thing for naija don follow join skyrocket grin
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by omowolewa: 5:37am On Apr 05, 2016
'Wealth of Nation' all in private pockets.
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by gbaskiboy: 7:06am On Apr 05, 2016
Most ministers signed by Buhari administration are just figurehead. We only get to hear them during screening, since then, they have gone into obscurity.
They Include

Lie muhamed

Rotimi Ameachi

Iya Taraba

Fayemi.

Just to mentioned few

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by englishmart(m): 7:30am On Apr 05, 2016
gold ko diamoni ni?
Hahahahahaha. I laugh in ipob language

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by luvinhubby(m): 7:31am On Apr 05, 2016
Just shut up & get down to work.
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by ichidodo: 7:31am On Apr 05, 2016
Dunno what the fuss this all about....There isn't enough gold in the country to fill the stinking hold of a galleon.Fayemi can as well find gullibe zuckers to swallow this propaganda shyte.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Omotall(m): 7:33am On Apr 05, 2016
nonsense people
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Nobody: 7:33am On Apr 05, 2016
The mining industry has been poorly regulated.

The govt could seriously begin to regulate this industry.....especially the illegal miners.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Mayorsholly(m): 7:33am On Apr 05, 2016
Sharp Guy... Boys r not smiling..
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Lero15(m): 7:34am On Apr 05, 2016
Na wah

Yes we already knew. There are thieves everywhere. Just do us a favor please...

Get them and throw them into jail... If you got the nerves, that is.

Enough of endless trial and investigation.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 05, 2016
englishmart:
gold me diamoni in?
Hahahahahaha. I laugh in ipob language

There are gold deposits in the North...eg Zamfara state.

I know because several years ago...there was a report on NTA about how the water sources in one Zamfara village were being poisoned by lead...a by product of gold mining.

Considered serious by the then govt to send a high powered delegation down there.

Modified:

Here is why the Minister is talking:

http://www.businessweek.com/investor/gold_boom/graphics/nigeria/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by ORACLE1975(m): 7:36am On Apr 05, 2016
What are u doing about it FAYEMI?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by walozanga(m): 7:36am On Apr 05, 2016
We should put more effort and attention on other minerals attention of jst oil. I no even remember say we get gold.
Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by SycophanticGoat: 7:37am On Apr 05, 2016
Toosure70:

To some mofos on here, everything must be tribalized.. Too much bigotry and childishness in this country and still they expect the country to progress..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by einsteino(m): 7:37am On Apr 05, 2016
Is that news? didnt the ooni of ife openly confess to have illegally mined the gold he wears. inshort he said it as though he wasnt aware it is a crime. here is an extract

“The beads that I am wearing, I went as far as Benin Kingdom to go an exploit the beads. People don’t wear it any longer but it is made in Nigeria and I am proud to say it. The gold in between it, I took it from Mokuru waters in Ife and it is one of the most purified gold in the world. It is a 23.9 karat gold, raw. We just decided to do surface mining."-Ooni of ife

source: http://www.channelstv.com/2016/02/07/nigeria-beyond-oil-ooni-of-ife-says-ifes-gold-needs-exploration/

the problem is the federal govt has not made serious effort to mine minerals and allocate them to companies who would pay... thus it is a free for all show right now, I bet if it were oil or the nigerdelta they would have sent in soldiers to rape and kill.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 100kg Of Gold Daily To Illegal Miners – Fayemi by POLICECAP: 7:38am On Apr 05, 2016
Everybody is focused on illegal oil bunkery in SE, SS while attention is diverted from serious illegal mining in d north.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbanjo Presidency: Afonjas Will Soon Begin To Respect GEJ / Igbo/yoruba Rivalry: What's The Root Cause? / Report: How Civil Servants, Politicians Colluded To Loot Kwara Properties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.