Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Unemployment in Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Unemployment in Nigeria (30378 Views)

How I Overcame The Challenge Of Unemployment In Nigeria / How Can We Solve The Problem Of Unemployment In Nigeria / Real Questions About Unemployment In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by MrBean(m): 1:35pm On Jun 06, 2006
Even Seun himself doesnt believe the figures. He is just trying to be different.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 06, 2006
Seun:

That's just because you think a job is something located inside air-conditioned offices in business districts.

I have no 'pali', I work from a room, and I have no A/C, but I am employed and make little money. Others sell recharge cards or act as mobile calling center for people. Others help out in family shops. Others run erands for stipends. Some are in Ikeja village selling pirated software. Some women are at home taking care of there children full time and selling soft drinks and bread part-time. And of course we have the students, who can't be counted.

All these people I have mentioned are employed and there is dignity in any form of labor!

sorry to say, but ALL your above mentioned scenarios are not considered JOBS in realistic and serious economy! Even in the US, it is highly recognized that the more 'pali' you get, the better your chances of making a comfortable living. In serious economies, no one sells recharge cards by the road side because all you need is to pay your monthly fees and your airtime is automatically charged every month. there are no 'mobile calling centers' because serious govts ensure their citizens have adequate access to telecoms and phone booths are properly maintained! "Helping out in family shops"? Did you seriously consider that a long term source of income? Running erands for stipends? Selling pirated software? That is a felony in serious countries!
Selling bread and softdrinks? To make how much in a month? I am yet to find one single home shop selling bread and softdrinks here!
Running an online forum is what kids do here as a past time and not a full time job! It won't guarantee you a lifetime source of income neither can you plan a retirement on it!

Let's get serious here, call a spade a spade, we have all at one time been too other countries where things are run as they should be. Those in the US and Europe or Asia do not have two heads. Let us stop justifying mediocrity! How many of the afore mentioned people can afford adequate health care, quality education for their children? how many can purchase a beat up volkswagen car? A job is more than bread and butter, it is about obtaining an accepted standard of living!
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 4:51pm On Jun 06, 2006
@David

I thought Pali = Passport. Does it mean degree? Well in the Nigerian definition of a Job, selling recharge card is a Job, selling bread and butter from a basin is a Job, doing Housegirl/Houseboy is a Job. You cannot have the word Nigerian Job and Retirement in the same sentence. That is simply not fair. There is no Job security, that is why there is rampant fraud in the country. So you are doing Nigeria a disservice to compare it to EU countries. There are simply not enough Jobs in the country that can give people a "Good standard of Living".
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by raldsfield(m): 6:28pm On Jun 06, 2006
Meanwhile there are certain things you read and ignore, some information is met for us to just laugh grin

Looking back the last time there where enough jobs in Nigeria was in the early 80's
I remember my uncle told me a story about when he finished from UNN back in the days.
He was offered 3 job each with cars. He had a choice This was in 1979.

When was the last time a graduate had this kind of lovely story to tell, mind you it wasn't the government that employed him. After working for 3 years he was offered an Associate member of the company. Remember he was just a fresh graduate.

A graduate selling recharge card is not employed please angry. The issue is that is no job in Nigeria to chose from, down here in the UK, there are job, even if they are not graduate roles, the are descent jobs.

The issue is the basics of economics, where politicans carry money in Ghana most go, steal money in broad day light, Moneys that could have been used to construct new roads, providing employment. Build new power station, providing employment. Build us a functioning system, that will give Nigerians the opportunity to discover themselves.

The internet has brought the world together, when are we going to tap into it, produce goods that can compete on the world stage.

We need a New Nigeria, where things work, where theirs light, good roads, where water runs, functioning hospitals, equipped schools where people take their education seriously, mobile phones networks that work, a justice system that functions, the police is truely your friend,
someone please judge my case.

Good prisons, clean ones where evil people and politicans could go to and have time to repent.

This country na big problem.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by MrBean(m): 7:12pm On Jun 06, 2006
raldsfield:

Good prisons, clean ones where evil people and politicans could go to and have time to repent.

This is the statement that does it for me. grin grin grin grin
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:42pm On Jun 06, 2006
That is the government's primary responsibility. Security, maintenance of law and order. nothing more.

Wquipped schools where people take their education seriously, mobile phones networks that work
Private enterprises have already provided these. We have good private schools and private networks. The rest we can do also, but the government should focus on police, legal system, prisons, army, etc. law and order, nothing more.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by toppyromeo(m): 8:20pm On Jun 06, 2006
[b]I am Aromire Temitope Abideen, I have an OND in accounting.Then i searched for job where i can do my IT, there was no job.Then, when i was in school, i teaches Business mathematics, Acounting,Cost accounting,Taxation, for sudents in and outside the school.I am writing to any one who's interested in these i.e who i can teach.and i am looking for school where i can teach so that i can secure myself.Please contact me on 08051225583. or toppyromeo@yahoo.com
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 8:34pm On Jun 06, 2006
Here is the 2.9% that is unemployed. Seun can you help him?
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by simplyme3(f): 11:18pm On Jul 16, 2007
@Ijebuman

try www.ceaser-web.com
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by olanajim(m): 9:29am On Jul 17, 2007
CAUTION! It's too hot! Somehow, i was meditating yesterday about something relating to this. But, i would try and put it in book form.
Some poeple who had been lucky to get job easily forget their root. We all have ideas but how many of these so-called self made people help others grow their wealth? If you are not connected you are not assisted. Granted some chaps had been lucky to make it. We must realise that thd atmosphere favoured the priviledged.
If the environment is fertile, i trust nigerian youth to exceel. I had noticed something extra ordinary about Nigerians an I am proud to be a Nigerian
ANYTHING THEY DO, IF THEY GET THEIR CHANCE, THEY DO IT WELL. Why do you think 419 thrives? Naija spirit is the magic. I even read about their duping foreign banks, diplomats etc. If only we could channel those energy to positive ventures we may soon become economic power house. But the govt focus to much on security and politics while youths were being wasted.
Seue and other preaching self employment must know that NO ONE HAD EVER MAKE IT WITHOUT SOMEBODY'S SUPPURT, however small. Ask papa oyedepos, dangotes etc
The question is: ARE THEY GIVING YOUTHS 'ENOUGH' SUPPORT? Check it out. The answer is glaring
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by olanajim(m): 9:56am On Jul 17, 2007
CAUTION! It's too hot! Somehow, i was meditating yesterday about something relating to this. But, i would try and put it in book form.
Some poeple who had been lucky to get job easily forget their root. We all have ideas but how many of these so-called self made people help others grow their wealth? If you are not connected you are not assisted. Granted some chaps had been lucky to make it. We must realise that thd atmosphere favoured the priviledged.
If the environment is fertile, i trust nigerian youth to exceel. I had noticed something extra ordinary about Nigerians an I am proud to be a Nigerian
ANYTHING THEY DO, IF THEY GET THEIR CHANCE, THEY DO IT WELL. Why do you think 419 thrives? Naija spirit is the magic. I even read about their duping foreign banks, diplomats etc. If only we could channel those energy to positive ventures we may soon become economic power house. But the govt focus to much on security and politics while youths were being wasted.
Seue and other preaching self employment must know that NO ONE HAD EVER MAKE IT WITHOUT SOMEBODY'S SUPPURT, however small. Ask papa oyedepos, dangotes etc
The question is: ARE THEY GIVING YOUTHS 'ENOUGH' SUPPORT? Check it out. The answer is glaring
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by dashkk(m): 5:37am On Aug 18, 2007
if you depend on government,you will not go far in life
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by toksdam(m): 10:37pm On Aug 18, 2007
its a pity though how our leaders have faired in this our dear country ,i cover my face in pain at times wen i see what people go through,do you know wat government pay can never be enough for any nomal nigeria considring the cost of living,i belive the and real nigerians will emerge soon.let keep our heart ready and wash our hands to do right
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Dmajesty(m): 9:08am On Nov 13, 2007
Every year, young, energetic, and vibrant graduates are being pumped out of NYSC in two batches. Many of them travel here and there in search of greener pasture in several multinational companies, private companies, banks etc. but only a few remain lucky after several attempt.

Is it because the barber does not know how to barb or that the blade is not sharp? Thorough research has discovered that the fault is from applicants and not the employers.

I have some free packages to help you secure your dream jobs in any part of Nigeria and offshore of Nigerian coast. Search http://getthejobs.webs.io

Cheers, ONE NIGERIA FOREVER!
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by KollyBobo: 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2007
Hello Lander,
You guy's have really tried with all your points.Let me say this that we dont need to put the blame in any leaders hand neither should we exonerate ourself.
There are potentials in every man that is lying fallow without use.Let's think deep and discover the virtues within us.
Begin to think on the Godly economy not on Nigeria economy.

Rgds to all great ife chaps out there, i believe you are doing great .

Love you all

H.O.R
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by BASIT2020: 3:50pm On Nov 19, 2007
Can anyone keep me inform of any current jobs(Banking jobs and others) and the application process.My email is dikrulah@hotmail.com and mobile number is 08033530474.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by maplesoul: 7:09pm On Nov 19, 2007
It gives me hope that yes! this great nation is gonna be better in the nearest future to be hearing (or reading ) my fellow Nigerians sound so interested and enthusiastic about a major problem we`ve been facing,i say kudos to all of u irrespective of your various opinions,for the fact that u spent seconds or minutes to participate in this topic then u are an asset to this nation and i urge u to always be patriotic and be optimistic about matters that concern the future of this great nation.On the issue of unemployment i have a question to ask,for how long will people fold their arms and remain hungry waiting for govt. to give them jobs?do we really think govt. can provide jobs 4 all?wat then will happen to the unlucky ones dat will never get a job?The point is that govt. or no govt. we all have potentials in us to be creative one way or the other,the capital to start is not an excuse though it may be difficult to raise but once there is a will there is certainly a way ! Articulate your dreams start small if u don`t hav the ability to start big,u got to be humble though, cos u`ll face  little obstacles that are worth it cos this is your destiny in question.No matter your position u hav the potentials,educated or not,1st class or 3rd class.If u`ve got a mountain to climb waiting doesn`t make it smaller,Don`t wait for govt. challenge yourself and start something for the sake of your future o ! Lastly nobody has got a money problem just an idea problem,if u challenge me on this then contact me,tell me wat the situation is and i will come up wit a stunning idea for u (08032678969  or  08023602576). All the Best my people.one love !
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:18pm On Nov 19, 2007
Unemployment is a symptom of inefficiency and inflexibility in the labor market. For every graduate in Yoruba that can't find a job, there is an employer who can't find a French-speaker. For every secretary that can't find a job, there is an oil company that has to employ engineers from abroad. The problem is not that jobs are unavailable. The problem is that the jobs people are looking for are not the jobs that are available. The problem is lack of training.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by obua: 8:48pm On Nov 19, 2007
Unemployment in Nigeria is not suprising for the following and other reasons
poor infracstructure
poor technical skills
poor reading culture
low entreprenural skills
hunger for foreign goods
poor managerial skills
poor value system
low competition in the economy
General abscence of the rule of the law
I don care attaitude
currupt and inept government
docile populace
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by miky(m): 7:48am On Nov 20, 2007
very true statement

if you depend on government,you will not go far in life.

nigerians have to start becoming enterpreneurs, by all means. the government cant give u job, its becoming a privatised economy sef. for a start i have a family friend who just started an insurance company, and now a billionaire. the secret to making money in that country is not looking for government work,"think hard not work hard'
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by tinkerbery(f): 9:21am On Nov 20, 2007
Unemployment in Nigeria , it makes you wonder why you did not go to school to study 'know someone in there' as a first degree so that when you graduate, you would have someone place you somewhere (get you a job) becos he has 'connections' in quotes wink. i have being to places in search for jobs, not those far away dream places, but i mean, a reasonble place. you know what they say? Sorry, we have no place for you now, but hopefully soon. , Y? Not enough experience. Good, the next minute you hear someone being called cos of a god father's connection (though i have a higher one). Another is , when they dont employ fresh or coarse graduates who have some few years experience.or non at all, where are we(they) to grab it when they (employers) keep giving excuses? they unemployed need a break, thats Y alot of graduates after spending years in school reading a course like biochemistry or civil engineering, come out doing something else , like working in banks. am really grateful that they give fresh graduates a chance to be trained.so, other employers should learn from banks, oil firms, industry and likes of them. learn to train, we did not go to school to come looking for jobs, JOBS should be looking for us, wink wink
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by olanajim(m): 2:01pm On Nov 20, 2007
Maplesout, I'd like to have a chat with you on YM. Let share ideas. It is important. My mail is on my profile.

@topic, I had just witnessed a scene now. A young boy trying to sell #5 pure water was hit by an okada. The boy wanted to sell to an elderly woman who had been shouting "pure water" from the bus. It was while trying to exchange water for money that the accident happent. A vehicle behid us ran over the bag of water the boy was selling though he was not hit, he escaped by God grace. Ironically, the okada that caused the accident did not even stop in spite of the noise and cry.

What has this got to do with topic? While we are passionate about self employment, while we are shouting job creation, etc, we must realize that millions, not thousands, are being frustrated daily by the system that fail woefully to protect them. As I am typing this, I am watching scores of young men and women struggling to be attended to by a govt agency that would process their self employment trainimg application. They have been frequenting the place in the last three months. We must not fail to realize that these people and many more are being pushed into unemployment not due to lack of idea but other extreneous factors.

It is therefore my view that the unemployment situation was actually aggravated by government and not the citizens. When govt put minimum condition in place, the citizen would follow it up.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by nnada(f): 2:49pm On Dec 05, 2007
Unemployment is a topic to discuss in in Africa, not only in Nigeria. But i think it is worse in Nigeria.

In Nigeria, the rate of unemployment is alarming. Please my question is what are we going to do?
We cant be waiting for the government again, cause we have waited enough. So everybody try hard enough to engage yourself into something.
If u think you have the talent in handwork, please dont hesitate to do something, and not waiting for our government that disappionts.
Another is our population is massive, and with the way we are going, we cant avoid to employ everybody in the country even especially the learned ones.
Therefore, we need to control our population and then the unemployment can even be considered.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:46pm On Dec 05, 2007
In Nigeria, the rate of unemployment is alarming.
Says who? Your sixth sense?
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by olanajim(m): 6:53pm On Dec 06, 2007
That is the reality, Seun. Don't act as if you are living in the moon. To b honest, if you have had the priviledge of traversing the "areas that matter" in the country, you would stop hurling insults at the unlucky graduates. You are speaking from your own comfort zone.

Those whose bread had been buttered by gods must stop jubilating over the misfortunes of the unlucky majority whose voices were supressed by hunger and frustration. The really successful men are not those that make money and fortunes from the sweat of others, but those who acknowledge the role played by the poor in their rise to fortune.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by folahann(m): 9:21pm On Dec 06, 2007
God have mercy
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Lady2(f): 11:39pm On Dec 10, 2007
@ Ijebuman.

Thanks so much, that's what I keep telling Nigerians.
Stop waiting for the government to create a job.
Where will it come from? Who will start it. U and I.
They just need to put inplace legislation that protects u and customers.
The rest is up to ur hardwork.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by grape(f): 6:00pm On Dec 11, 2007
This is a menace in our society that needs to be deeply looked into,
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Neyoyo(m): 7:34pm On Dec 11, 2007
I tire for Naija situation.Make God change us and make we sef change ourselves.
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by megatainer(m): 9:12am On Dec 12, 2007
Well,i want to thank each & everyone of you for the contribution so far!
the topic "UNEMPLOYMENT" is something we really need to think about take for instance, i registered a programme somewhere in Port Harcourt & at the end of the programme i ws sent for Industrial Training, cuold you beleive that because i have nobody in Government the first thing they told me was that "No payment for the perido you are going to spend with us" i accepted the offer but could you believe that they rejected my application simply because am not a native of rivers state. thats so unfair for christ sake!

we need to fight the bad government in our society if we need or bettter still want a place to stay and have enough to our satisfaction.

Life Goes on.

Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Dmajesty(m): 9:00am On Dec 18, 2007
Can anyone keep me inform of any current jobs(Banking jobs and others) and the application process.My email is dikrulah@hotmail.com and mobile number is 08033530474.

Ideas, they say, rule the world. Great businesses like Google, Microsoft, Mr Biggs, macdonalds, Cocacola, all started from a bright idea from some one. Your ability to turn an idea creatively to something that people want is all you need to become a millionaire. That is just your passport to wealth.

Get hold of the following 100 hotest ideas for Nigerian business scene.They can change your life for ever. For just 1200 naira you can have them and use them for your transformation. 

for the necessary information as regard to payment and sending of the materials
send mail with title "100 hottest job" to
[email]emma_asogwa4real@yahoo.co.uk [/email]
Re: Unemployment in Nigeria by Lere011: 4:04pm On Dec 22, 2007
The unemployment problem in Niger is everyone problem, working or not. This is more reason why actions by me and you must be taken beyond mere discussions. If you are employed today, you must be thinking of how to create more employment. While I hold government responsible for the bad situation we are today in Nigeria, we must equally know that it will take both you, me and the entire nation effort to resolve this. what have you done today about this.
Let's come up with proposal for both big business and smaller and sell more to potential investors who are taking their money out of the country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Earning N50M Annually In Nigeria But Considered Poor In Developed Countries" / Grace Garba Is NAF First Female Air Warrant Officer (Photo) / Female Commercial Okada Rider In Surulere, Lagos (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.