Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,835 members, 7,824,476 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? (16044 Views)

Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages / Solar-powered Cars For Nigerians By 2018 / 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by bigtt76(f): 9:52am On Apr 08, 2016
Those days, diesel vehicles were heavy noise makers but that now that is reducing. Marveled at the BMW X3 I saw recently a bit noisy but much better. than before.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by obailala(m): 10:00am On Apr 08, 2016
Not every filling station sells diesel in Nigeria. If you have a diesel vehicle, that may be a problem. For those saying diesel vehicles are noise makers or heavy emitters, that is absolutely false, diesel vehicles have cleaner emissions and are more efficient all round.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by femmy2010(m): 10:05am On Apr 08, 2016
They simply want to import what they are sure o selling
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by drnoel: 10:08am On Apr 08, 2016
Depends on the country one resides. Diesel engine are more expensive to buy but cheaper to maintain asper feul comsumption. Though the smoke more than petrol cars one gets to pay less environmental tax on such cars unlike for petrol cars.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by linearity: 10:15am On Apr 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

very few diesel mechanics.

Vehicles are now compactalized, with a good scanner, your vehicle manual and access to YouTube, you barely need a mechanic these days as vehicles have gone computer.

The truth is, I now only need a mechanic when I need body work or painting done on my car. With my scanner, I can locate the bad component and YouTube have countless videos on how to change them and if it a scanner code can result from the malfunction of more than one component, with my meter and a few more YouTube search, you can acertain the normal readings or behave of the component eliminate the one that doesn't conform.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Btruth: 10:25am On Apr 08, 2016
If good diesel mechanics are guaranteed in this country, I think Nigerians should be encourage to start using diesel engine cars or automobile.

Afterall, most heavy duty trucks on our ways are diesel engine.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by fwwins(m): 10:25am On Apr 08, 2016
I love and very addicted to nl because it's a very educative site.

I just bought my first diesel engine car and this thread is da bomb.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by marv1: 10:30am On Apr 08, 2016
pope5:
check out this diesel powered range, beside my work, its also manual drive (6speed)
How much does it go for?
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Readonee35L(m): 10:33am On Apr 08, 2016
We Nigerians like Hearsay
70% of cars in Ghana are diesel
In fact so many cars I never knew had diesel engines
From
Rav-4
Peugeot
Audi
99% of there benz are Cdi from c class to s class both ml and Gl
Range rover e.t.c
And they are efficient
You'll never see them break down on the road ...
But when they get old they tend too be more lousy and they produce lots of black smoke
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Walexz02(m): 10:33am On Apr 08, 2016
I love diesel engine. I'll buy one when it's time.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by funkyibodude(m): 10:41am On Apr 08, 2016
nurey:

Petroleum uses combustion while

Diesel uses compression

Besides both engines are extremely different diesel doesn't utilize spark plugs. Research well on it.
I heard diesel engines are loud and smoke a bit. My brother said he didn't go for a 2015 Benz E class cdi but chose the petrol variant because of that. He resides in the US
diesel engines are Eco friendly
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by funkyibodude(m): 10:44am On Apr 08, 2016
Half of all the cars I saw in London are all diesel powered.. In fact I was about to ask the same question as the Op
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by magabounce(m): 10:49am On Apr 08, 2016
nedu2000:
I use a diesel-powered vehicle and have not had course to visit a mechanic outside changing oils(power steering,engine etc) and brake pad. The disadvantage then was that diesel,at N120/litre was too expensive despite the fact that it has longer mileage as compared to PMS.
What's it with Nigerians and diesel-powered cars?
A friend that works with Mercedes & later volkswagen in Germany once told me dat they never ship pms cars to Nigeria, but they use diesel powered cars.. reason being dat the pms powered cars are more likely to get bad therefore the demand for cars z always on..
If u notice Julius Berger official cars, 99% of them are diesel powered.. why is that?
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by SporaD8: 10:59am On Apr 08, 2016
nedu2000:
noooo,i've been privileged to use both cars and I can tell you that N5000 diesel can covers a longer distance as compared to fuel.
Oh and diesel is consistently btw N110-N140 now,how much is fuel in nigeria now grin ?
I think I need to correct something here.
first, what is FUEL?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by coretechng1(m): 11:05am On Apr 08, 2016
linearity:

Vehicles are now compactalized, with a good scanner, your vehicle manual and access to YouTube, you barely need a mechanic these days as vehicles have gone computer.

The truth is, I now only need a mechanic when I need body work or painting done on my car. With my scanner, I can locate the bad component and YouTube have countless videos on how to change them and if it a scanner code can result from the malfunction of more than one component, with my meter and a few more YouTube search, you can acertain the normal readings or behave of the component eliminate the one that doesn't conform.
Awesome. I solved a problem recently on car vibration.I just printed out the problem and ask the mechanic what is this and that.A problem that has been there for months was solved under 10minutes having wasted almost 20k on buying irrellevant components.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:11am On Apr 08, 2016
linearity:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3538118_35358883459775img201602271305441editpnge92b7cbc1cb36abdb96e36bccd5acd2fpng19ed24768fb2bb23f599a4cdef5f3421_png43a63ba45ebee1907ac0a61f4aa4019c

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Mbediogu(m): 11:14am On Apr 08, 2016
9icetoo:

you heard. hearsay has kept Nigerians largely in the dark. I drive a diesel, its not as quiet as a 2015 Avalon but its not as noisy as a keke napep. my friends e90 is even quieter. you wouldn't know until he revs it. the distinct diesel clatter is there but subdued. diesels don't really need a lot of maintenance. in this day and age of scanners, you have a tool to aid your mechanic service your diesel engine. the most I have done to my diesel is clean my intake manifold, egr and turbo. all were straight forward and done by a none diesel mechanic. I showed him what to do and that was it. my diesel doesn't smoke anymore after cleaning out my turbo and blanking my egr.
I can get 1100 kilometres on a 55 litre tank before I refuel if I do only highway driving and 700 kilometers if I drive only in the city.
avoid diesels with dpf for now though.

U know Diesel engines no doubt about that. Not all of us do. I tried diesel car and sold it within 60 days. The performance is unique no doubt but so are the needs. It serves best those who know it. That's why we shy away from it.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Affegott(m): 11:24am On Apr 08, 2016
6digitscomrade:
TBT my bro Nigerians like follow follow i used a peugeot 607 diesel b4 in nja and it neva gave me any ish until d buyer went to shit roadside mech..i called peugeot service immediately i brought d car and dey told me which service stations to buy diesel from and never to use black market..if u follow simple instructions u will enjoy diesel cars,dey are more economical,faster..the AC has no arrival..many advantages to mention but a few...dont forget even maintenance is cheaper..in europe diesel cars are more common dan petrol cars..in europe is either diesel or gas..petrol is relatively on d low side...nigerians just like to use wat thier frnz /pals av...and dey believe anything..i made all my frnz to fall inluv wiv diesel cars but ofcourse dey still wudnt buy one cuz dey will still say my mum said diz...my mechanic said dat..well every mallam wiv him own kettle i luv diesel cars any day all d time..

Did you get your diesel car in naija, or you import it?
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by 6digitscomrade: 11:43am On Apr 08, 2016
i imported it from germany...if u need nice german cars i cud help u out...
Affegott:

Did you get your diesel car in naija, or you import it?
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by Affegott(m): 11:48am On Apr 08, 2016
6digitscomrade:
i imported it from germany...if u need nice german cars i cud help u out...

Okay, thanks. I have 2 half brothers in Germany, (might escape there myself if naija remains not liveable). Sure could still use your help when ready.

Thanks again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by acadollar(m): 11:55am On Apr 08, 2016
In Korea, most Suv's are powered with diesel, very strong and last like forever
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by ajealadick(m): 11:56am On Apr 08, 2016
Btruth:
If good diesel mechanics are guaranteed in this country, I think Nigerians should be encourage to start using diesel engine cars or automobile.

Afterall, most heavy duty trucks on our ways are diesel engine.

Not some trucks. ALL trucks use diesel

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by erico2k2(m): 12:04pm On Apr 08, 2016
nurey:

Petroleum uses combustion while

Diesel uses compression

Besides both engines are extremely different diesel doesn't utilize spark plugs. Research well on it.
I heard diesel engines are loud and smoke a bit. My brother said he didn't go for a 2015 Benz E class cdi but chose the petrol variant because of that. He resides in the US
All that is hearsay. The Europeans on the other hand think Diesel is great. It's even more expensive to own one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by 6digitscomrade: 12:06pm On Apr 08, 2016
yes and like i said earlier look at it on the long run bro..in petrol cars u will change plugs regularly...diesel cars dont use plug..dey dont even av contact set..so issues of flooding i mean driving too flooded area u will av less to bother av u thot abt diz?d acceleration is faster cuz is direct combustion no oda interface..and u cud look at it dis way u spend 5500 to fill up ur tank and do dat atleast twice a month and oda visits to kasali ..lol..but u fill up 11k once a month..do the maths
6digitscomrade:
well i fill up my tank for 12,700# and it lasts me for a month and 24/7 days a week AC is on..and am a night crawler...dont look at it from d rear look at d benefit on d long run...i think diesel cars are cheaper in all ramfication if u were in europe u wud av a rethink..d thing i see here is we still dont av competent mechs...except u visit certified service spots which ofcourse will be more expensive dan kasali at mile2 bus stop...lol
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by erico2k2(m): 12:09pm On Apr 08, 2016
SporaD8:

I think I need to correct something here.
first, what is FUEL?
Anything that you use to produce any form of Energy. Eg.petrol. wood. Paper. Oxygen. Etc
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by 6digitscomrade: 12:09pm On Apr 08, 2016
thumbs up...i mentioned dat earlier..infact 3 out 5 cars here in europe is diesel and d 4th is gas..most cars here av gas/diesel installations...most cars i brought to nja had gas installations but i always remove d installations prior to export..cuz i dont want jesse to repeat itself my guy nja too hot b4 i go explode on motion...lol
erico2k2:

All that is hearsay. The Europeans on the other hand think Diesel is great. It's even more expensive to own one.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by erico2k2(m): 12:11pm On Apr 08, 2016
obailala:
Not every filling station sells diesel in Nigeria. If you have a diesel vehicle, that may be a problem. For those saying diesel vehicles are noise makers or heavy emitters, that is absolutely false, diesel vehicles have cleaner emissions and are more efficient all round.
They are definitely not cleaner. This has been proven in Europe hence heavy tax on them.manufacturers lied then.same way vw lied about thier emission test
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by SporaD8: 12:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
erico2k2:

Anything that you use to produce any form of Energy. Eg.petrol. wood. Paper. Oxygen. Etc
Wow! so you know this much?
So why asking, "How much is fuel in your area?" like fuel is one particular commodity.
Anyway people will start considering diesel car when it pays them in the long-run; even hybrid cars will be given more consideration.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by 6digitscomrade: 12:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
no sweat bro..but lol@(might escape there myself if naija remains not liveable).....i swear down pal nja is hard and expensive..u will notice that right from the airport..everything is thou thou..am sure ur brodaz can attest to diz..
Affegott:

Okay, thanks. I have 2 half brothers in Germany, (might escape there myself if naija remains not liveable). Sure could still use your help when ready.

Thanks again.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by erico2k2(m): 12:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
6digitscomrade:
thumbs up...i mentioned dat earlier..infact 3 out 5 cars here in europe is diesel and d 4th is gas..most cars here av gas/diesel installations...most cars i brought to nja had gas installations but i always remove d installations prior to export..cuz i dont want jesse to repeat itself my guy nja too hot b4 i go explode on motion...lol
Ahaha.U know cooking Oil can work on Diesel cars. People just dnt know it yet. Nah to dey parade all the akara sellers to collect used frying oil sure pass now no fuel. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by erico2k2(m): 12:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
SporaD8:

Wow! so you know this much?
So why asking, "How much is fuel in your area?" like fuel is one particular commodity.
1st thing first I'm in London
2nd what kind of fuel are we talking about?
3rd My family are in PH and I was told petrol sells for N160-180 with I beg.
Re: Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? by erico2k2(m): 12:18pm On Apr 08, 2016
6digitscomrade:
yes and like i said earlier look at it on the long run bro..in petrol cars u will change plugs regularly...diesel cars dont use plug..dey dont even av contact set..so issues of flooding i mean driving too flooded area u will av less to bother av u thot abt diz?d acceleration is faster cuz is direct combustion no oda interface..and u cud look at it dis way u spend 5500 to fill up ur tank and do dat atleast twice a month and oda visits to kasali ..lol..but u fill up 11k once a month..do the maths
Spot on.I used a BMW 325 tdi back in 2001. Men the car was wked ni oil leaks very clean engine. No mechanical wahala just the usual service these days I ha e the 318 Ci mechanic nah my friend even me sef turn mechanic.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help, What Are The Dangers Of Using Cars Coverted From Right To Left Hand Drive / 7 Useful Car Accessories Under 6k Naira / World's First Handwoven Car Designed In Ibadan By Ojo Adeniyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.