Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,285 members, 7,815,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

It Job Needed - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / It Job Needed (678 Views)

These Days Does One Really Need A University Degree To Get An IT Job / Graphic Design Job Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Job Needed by Cactus(m): 10:49am On Jul 30, 2009
So, now I should be in Nigeria next month, and how can I go about searching for IT jobs in Nigeria.

I can do web development or other IT work.

Database
Programming
Support
Management

Serious advice needed and if you can help

Kindly get in touch with me and I can give you my resume
Re: It Job Needed by yawatide(f): 11:07am On Jul 30, 2009
Welcome back  smiley

I hope you take this the right way but, why not go in with the intention of being self-employed?  Personally, after witnessing my parents going without salary as a kid and hearing in recent times of people, some even in the private sector, going without salary for months, I made up my mind not to earn a salary when I return to Nigeria.  I could work on a contract, in which case I charge at least 70% up front, but not a salary.

Consider taking the time to study the business atmosphere (I bet you can discern a lot by studying the posts on this forum, IMHO) there and then make a move.  Worse case, you become a sole proprietor. 

I firmly believe that there is tons of money to be made in IT in general and web dev/software engineering in particular in Nigeria.  You just have to find your niche.
Re: It Job Needed by Cactus(m): 11:33am On Jul 30, 2009
True,

I eventually want to setup my own company. One needs some time to get his or her feet wet before making solid commitment. My boss was talking about starting an investment company in Nigeria. I hope he is serious about it but I need to keep asking him if he really wants to do it. Which I dont think will be anytime soon. He is a french man. He is also familiar with the Nigerian business atmosphere and he is interested. Only if he could commit asap. That would be great and I finally become a MANAGER. SWEET LIFE.

We do project funding and venture capital. The funniest thing is that, I work in an investment company that provides Angel funds and I have my own personal project plans but I cant get Angel funds through my company because I dont have collateral. ah ah ah ah Go figure. Weird right?

So now, maybe work in the private sector or international org or anything possible. That would be great.

Information on how to go about is highly welcomed.
Re: It Job Needed by yawatide(f): 12:08pm On Jul 30, 2009
Yeah, if you can work for an international organization so that your salary is guaranteed, I am all for it.  Also, if you will be paid in dollar equivalent, even better.

I said all I said because if I am not mistaken, you are like me and expect to get paid on time, even if you put in 5 minutes.  At the end of the day, car allowance, house allowance, school allowance, makes no sense to me if you aren't paid on time.

I have no info for you, at least for now, unfortunately but hopefully others do and will kindly share. How far has your roommate who was learning to code gone? Do tell.

Once again, good luck!
Re: It Job Needed by Cactus(m): 12:28pm On Jul 30, 2009
Thanks a bunch

It is extremely horrible these days for people looking for employment, facing the possibility of losing their jobs. Terrible. A couple of people will be let go especially in the IT department. Everyone is scared. Then it gets to the point one may start to think, why me, why now.

I guess one may have to go from company to company talking with HR. So scary.

Life is cruel.

Lets see what others have to say. Start planning and searching online.
Re: It Job Needed by yawatide(f): 12:48pm On Jul 30, 2009
I feel compelled to tell you a part of my story, as encouragement.   The year? 2001

I graduated 2 years prior.  I was the only black in a department of 8.  I was the only one willing to travel to anywhere in the country.  Some branch offices didn't have the people who knew how to solve the problems at the time.  Wherever anyone had a problem, they asked specifically for me. Consequently, I was called the "company savior".  I got bonuses and stock options.  I was thinking retirement with these people.  I got comfortable. When the economy tanked in 2001, who do you think was the first to get laid off? One mind said it was racism but I try not to think that way. I mean, it exists for sure but I don't let it influence my life. It hurts even till today.

I was out of work for 2 years.  The painful part of it all was that in 2001, I had just bought my first home.  I was in it barely 2 months when I was laid off.  I hadn't even paid my first mortgage. My wedding was also 6 months away. Oh well, what could I do? I thought of going back to school, but where would I get the money?  I already owed student loans. Why burden myself with more? What was the guarantee that I would get a job upon graduation?  After job searching for 3 months and being down to my last, literal $400, I decided to swallow my pride and degree and hustle man.  Any odd job that was available, I did.  In the end, I made more money doing these odd jobs than in coding in 1 year.  My wedding was also a success (I refused to cancel or postpone it as a challenge).  So believe me when I say I know how you feel.  There is nothing as bad as going to work every day thinking it could be your last.  My experience taught me some things though:

1) No condition is permanent

2) Don't get comfortable in one job

3) have something doing on the side, no matter how "beneath you" it might be, as long as it is legal.

4) Always get ready to jump ship at the slightest opportunity.  Why? cos when the time comes, your employer will dump you just as fast, under the auspices of, "well, sorry it had to be this way, but we had no choice.  sure we know you have a mortgage and a family to feed, but we have our own bottomline".  In a way, you can't blame them, they don't owe you a job and the aim of every business is to make money.  At least we aren't in an industry like construction where age matters.  You can code if you want till you are 80 and I can tell you that companies are looking for those with years of experience as they tend to be the most disciplined. 

I now have my main job, a web dev company on the side and am thinking of picking up photography (a fellow nairalander was surprised when I told him that in the states, there are photographers who charge as much as $2,000 just to take photos at a wedding/reception). Again, I stay humble and am willing to do anything.  Why? because I gotta do that I gotta do otherwise the kids go hungry and next thing you know, you are so old and are gone from nigeria for so long that you are in limbo - America is tough on the elderly and you could end up in an elderly care home and you can't go back home because you are forgotten.

Now we are in another recession.  The good thing is, this one is affecting mostly the financial sector.  I still get job interview invites in my inbox.  I tell people that these days, I am like a cat - my ears are always moving around to pick up the slightest sounds (job opportunities) and I rarely "sleep".  Now, it is about me, not my employer.  sad but true.

I hope this offers some form of comfort/encouragement.
Re: It Job Needed by Cactus(m): 12:52am On Jul 31, 2009
Your story is relevant. Unfortunately, everything cant be smooth sailing. One has to try to keep his/her head above water.

Now waiting on others thinking about posting my resume here

(1) (Reply)

Review Www.westcodelimited.com / Paypal Funds For Sale / Jcomtech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.