Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,391 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? (5109 Views)

Urgent! How Much Does It Cost To Collect Certificate Of A Waec Done In 2008? / Executive Assistant Job At J.P. Morgan – Apply Now / J. P. Monfort Presidential Team Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? by kingjizzy2(m): 9:33pm On Apr 07, 2016
My Friend just got admission last year and has started school ..
but he is thinking of a business to do that will bring him cool cash
& ...he doesn't want to depend solely on his
his parents because they have other siblings also to pay for ...
he needs a business that is student friendly... he want to start a D.J work so he can make
money with his laptop ...

Please list the cost of all Dj equipments for him thanks ...

My D.J,s in the house over 2 u......
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? by dedons: 10:23am On Apr 08, 2016
A standard DJ start-up is at least 3million naira.
If not a really standard one,abt 500k should be enough to start-up.
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? by 4C2215131: 10:36am On Apr 08, 2016
The first question is this: Is he a DJ? not some laptop Virtual DJ thingy.

Again, is he ready to pay the cost? Should he succeed as a DJ while in school can he keep up with his studies? A DJ's life is itinerant in nature (at least the successful ones). This will require his time, much of his time honing his skills, downloading songs from the net etc.

Can he control himself? with success as a DJ comes the chicks (they can run through all the money you've made in gigs for a semester in one day) and a lot of other distractions such as cultism and such (yeah, as a successful DJ they may come for you seeking your membership).

There are more but this are the basics especially the first question. Tapping some key on your laptop does not a professional DJ make.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? by 4C2215131: 11:08am On Apr 08, 2016
Assuming you've gone through the above, here is a conservative cost:

1. LAPTOP
Whether you use turntables, controllers or media players you need the laptop to act as a repository for your songs and also DJ software.120-150k ( I recommend a brand new one).

Why so costly? It's all about the specs. Some DJ Software can be CPU tasking and RAM consuming. You need at least a dual-core running at about 1-7ghz speed and above and at least 2gig Ram coupled with at least a 500HD. Now note that you can use a fairly used system of say 50k but make sure it meets the above standards. The Ram is extremely important especially if you want to go into video mixing. Virtual DJ is not a CPU tasking software (mostly) hence a lot of old laptops can handle it. But note that the sound chip matters also. Old laptops can't give you the kind of sound that modern laptops will.

If you're strapped for cash, go the computer village and get a fairly used modern laptop for the price mentioned above, at most you'd add say 20-30k.

2. CD DECK OR CONTROLLER
You can get some cheap and decent CD decks for about 60-80k a piece. Seeing you'll be needing two that makes it 120-160k. This price depends on the features of the deck (There are decks that go fo as high as 250k for one). I suggest you get a controller which is cheaper as it is a combination of two decks and a mixer hence saving you the price of a mixer.

3. MIXER
You can cop an entry level mixer for say 25k (with a controller, this is eliminated though I recommend you get one)

4.POWER AMPLIFIER

You can get a cheap one for 75k (I don't recommend you scrimp here as this is the powerhouse of the whole set up, if it is not up to par, your career is over before it's started.

5. SPEAKERS
You can cop one depending on the size for 50k (a single driver i.e woofer) and 80-100k (dual drivers). This is anothe extremely important piece of the puzzle. If you get it wrong, bye-bye to DJ Jimmy Jatt status!

6.SOFTWARE
200 Naira (150 if you price well)

7. WIRES, CONNECTS AND MISCELLANEOUS
Just budget about 10k.

8. WIRELESS MICROPHONE
Get one for about 18-25k

9. DJ COFFIN OR BOX OR WHATEVER NAME YOU WANNA CALL IT
Budget at your level[b] 50k[/b] tops.

So there you go. Note that I refrained from mentioning names of products and explaining certain terms as I assume you know the meaning of those terms (didn't even use jargons as such). If you need me to suggest some product names let me know. Also note that the above estimates are just guides, the market price fluctuates like what we are seeing now with the Naira value going to the dogs but suffice it to say that the mentioned prices will get you going.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? by devonpaul(m): 8:04am On Apr 09, 2016
4C2215131:

1. LAPTOP
Whether you use turntables, controllers or media players you need the laptop to act as a repository for your songs and also DJ software.120-150k ( I recommend a brand new one).

Why so costly? It's all about the specs. Some DJ Software can be CPU tasking and RAM consuming. You need at least a dual-core running at about 1-7ghz speed and above and at least 2gig Ram coupled with at least a 500HD. Now note that you can use a fairly used system of say 50k but make sure it meets the above standards. The Ram is extremely important especially if you want to go into video mixing. Virtual DJ is not a CPU tasking software (mostly) hence a lot of old laptops can handle it. But note that the sound chip matters also. Old laptops can't give you the kind of sound that modern laptops will.

If you're strapped for cash, go the computer village and get a fairly used modern laptop for the price mentioned above, at most you'd add say 20-30k.

2. CD DECK OR CONTROLLER
You can get some cheap and decent CD decks for about 60-80k a piece. Seeing you'll be needing two that makes it 120-160k. This price depends on the features of the deck (There are decks that go fo as high as 250k for one). I suggest you get a controller which is cheaper as it is a combination of two decks and a mixer hence saving you the price of a mixer.

3. MIXER
You can cop an entry level mixer for say 25k (with a controller, this is eliminated though I recommend you get one)

4.POWER AMPLIFIER

You can get a cheap one for 75k (I don't recommend you scrimp here as this is the powerhouse of the whole set up, if it is not up to par, your career is over before it's started.

5. SPEAKERS
You can cop one depending on the size for 50k (a single driver i.e woofer) and 80-100k (dual drivers). This is anothe extremely important piece of the puzzle. If you get it wrong, bye-bye to DJ Jimmy Jatt status!

6.SOFTWARE

Just budget about 10k.

8. WIRELESS MICROPHONE
Get one for about 18-25k

So there you go. Note that I refrained from mentioning names of products and explaining certain terms as I assume you know the meaning of those terms (didn't even use jargons as such). If you need me to suggest some product names let me know. Also note that the above estimates are just guides, the market price fluctuates like what we are seeing now with the Naira value going to the dogs but suffice it to say that the mentioned prices will get you going.
You have said it all.. For a student starter level, if u av like 300k.. U can get a numark mixtrack or denon double deck for 100k max. Fairly used tho. I started wt a numark mixtrack pro 2 and i bought it on jumia for 60k then but am sure it'll be about double now. Ur laptops too is essential, u don't want to be delivering joy thru music and along d line bam.. Laptop crashed. O pari.. I'll suggest u cop a 2nd hand apple laptop for cheapey. 100 to 150maybe.. Speakers: just get smaller ones because as u gets popular d more, ull be force to keep buying better speakers then microphone. Go and meet electrician, they can get u some old rugged mic for 10k tops. Dazzall.. Then u can buy wires, plugs, etc but 1st thing to ask ursef, Are u really interested in this DJ job, do u av passion for satisfying people wt difft musical genre? If dat is a No. Other bizniz dey for students like invest 50k into learning web designing and in 3- 5 months u are designing websites or blogs already. HTML CSS or j query. All d best
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? by kingjizzy2(m): 8:56am On Apr 09, 2016
4C2215131:

1. LAPTOP

2. CD DECK OR CONTROLLER

3. MIXER

4.POWER AMPLIFIER

5. SPEAKERS

6.SOFTWARE

Just budget about 10k.

8. WIRELESS MICROPHONE
Get one for about 18-25k

Tanx bro u are genius
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? by LeoFish92(m): 11:02am On Jun 07, 2019
4C2215131:

1. LAPTOP

2. CD DECK OR CONTROLLER

3. MIXER

4.POWER AMPLIFIER

5. SPEAKERS

6.SOFTWARE

Just budget about 10k.

8. WIRELESS MICROPHONE
Get one for about 18-25k

The CD deck/controller thing, is it a must? Can just a laptop cover?
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Set Up D.J Business? by 4C2215131: 4:21pm On Jul 02, 2019
LeoFish92:

The CD deck/controller thing, is it a must? Can just a laptop cover?

IF you really want to be a professional DJ worth his salt, then you need a CD Deck/Controller/Turntables.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Capital Express Invite / I Got Depressed After Finding Out My Former Coursemate Makes 3 Times My Salary / Vacancy For Training Assistants At Collins Karate Network, Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.