Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,267 members, 7,839,348 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. (12018 Views)

Nigeria Police Establishes Radio And Television Stations / El-rufai Establishes Rice & Potatoes Plant In Kaduna, The Biggest In West Africa / Army Establishes Camp For Repentant Boko Haram Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 08, 2016
NaijaTalkTown:
Maybe you don't know this because they get less MSM coverage but Book Haram is as deadly as Daesh. Attack Helicopters cannot penetrate the thick forests along the Nigeria-Cameroon border. And the kind of Attack helicopters needed to fight them will not be sold to Nigeria by either the Chinese, Russians and the Americans. So it is better to build an Air force-like aviation corp first to achieve short-medium term goals. Sending the aviation corp to fight those BH bastards will be very tough. But it is better we have outdated gears than to have none. Besides, the South African's attack helicopter is dependable so I'll give the NA a chance (as if my opinion matters to them grin).

I think you underestimate the effects of a Helicopter cannon/rockets. These things will bring down trees; high rate of fire, high incendiary and scatter effect makes them more effective in asynchronous warfare irrespective of terrain. Where Nigeria is now, any type of helio platform can be kitted with fire power and it will work well. We don't need the Cobra helio and its variants - training for those things takes a heck of a long time and would be a significant departure from the Russian helio core that we already have. For this reason also - be sure that NA wont buy SA helios - they are in the main over priced.

Respects

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 08, 2016
acenazt:
too bad I am not an engineering student but I will ask my guys to start.
If I were a billionaire, I would host a science and tech competition annually. Innovators, inventors as well as talented scientists and engineers will be picked and paid to research in numerous scientific fields with concentration on military technologies. Military industrial complex is a lucrative business that I would like to invest in.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 08, 2016
NaijaTalkTown:
Why not Su-24s, PAK FAs, F16s and a few reconnaissance and communications satellite? The aviation corp cannot function well with the kind of outdated gears Buratai is eyeing. The terrorists can easily shoot them down with MANPADs.

I want to address the points you have made
1. Nigeria will soon have Jets in the class of the Su24 and I am talking about the JF 17 which is miles cheaper and yet a 4 G aircraft. We dont need F16 - they are basically air to air solutions, horrendously expensive and hard to maintain.
2. We already have surveillance aircraft the ALTR which does a great job.
3. There is no indication that BH has shoulder-held rockets and even if this was the case, these would not offer much protection if the stand off rocket fire of a helio has longer range than a shoulder held device which is an extremely close range device.
4. Dont believe what you see in films - it is not easy to stand up and get a fix on a helio when it's raining down cannon and rocket fire on you.

Respects.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by acenazt: 9:28am On Apr 08, 2016
NaijaTalkTown:
If I were a billionaire, I would host a science and tech competition annually. Innovators, inventors as well as talented scientists and engineers will be picked and paid to research in numerous scientific fields with concentration on military technologies. Military industrial complex is a lucrative business that I would like to invest in.
sadly our billionaires are only interested in buying arsenal fc and creating a monopoly
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by acenazt: 9:30am On Apr 08, 2016
greenpasture:

I think you underestimate the effects of a Helicopter cannon/rockets. These things will bring down trees; high rate of fire, high incendiary and scatter effect makes them more effective in asynchronous warfare irrespective of terrain. Where Nigeria is now, any type of helio platform can be kitted with fire power and it will work well. We don't need the Cobra helio and its variants - training for those things takes a heck of a long time and would be a significant departure from the Russian helio core that we already have. For this reason also - be sure that NA wont buy SA helios - they are in the main over priced. I tell you. The Denel Rooivalk is 40 million dollars per unit. That's tooooooooo expensive

Respects
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by acenazt: 9:35am On Apr 08, 2016
greenpasture:

1. Nigeria will soon have Jets in the class of the Su24 and I am talking about the JF 17 which is miles cheaper and yet a 4 G aircraft. We dont need F16 - they are basically air to air solutions, horrendously expensive and hard to maintain.
3. There is no indication that BH has shoulder-held rockets and even if this was the case, these would not offer much protection if the stand off rocket fire of a helio has longer range than a shoulder held device which is an extremely close range device.
4. Dont believe what you see in films - it is not easy to stand up and get a fix on a helio when it's raining down cannon and rocket fire on you.

Respects.
yes ohh the Jf 17 is cheap and strong. How will someone pay 40mill for a helio like The rooivalk when you can get a jf17 for almost half the price?? We talking 25-28 million per unit compared to 40 millioon.
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by najib632(m): 9:37am On Apr 08, 2016
acenazt:
sadly our billionaires are only interested in buying arsenal fc and creating a monopoly
Its bcus most of them ain't got pure cash

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2016
greenpasture:

Respects.
My opinion was not shaped by movies but rather the monitoring of military developments, military analyses and conflicts. I have minimum knowledge of most African countriesostly because I pay less attention to them because of their insignificance on the global stage. But I take your explanation to be clear and very insightful for me.

Respects
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by ocelot2006(m): 9:52am On Apr 08, 2016
NaijaTalkTown:
Maybe you don't know this because they get less MSM coverage but Book Haram is as deadly as Daesh. Attack Helicopters cannot penetrate the thick forests along the Nigeria-Cameroon border. And the kind of Attack helicopters needed to fight them will not be sold to Nigeria by either the Chinese, Russians and the Americans. So it is better to build an Air force-like aviation corp first to achieve short-medium term goals. Sending the aviation corp to fight those BH bastards will be very tough. But it is better we have outdated gears than to have none. Besides, the South African's attack helicopter is dependable so I'll give the NA a chance (as if my opinion matters to them grin).

Abeg, how are Attack Helicopters unable to "penetrate the thick forests"? You do know that:

1)the vegetation along the Nigerian Cameroon border at the North East isnt as thick as you suggest (with the exception of that along the mountain range in TarabGembuTarabae). This is due to the amount of rainfall in these areas.

2)Attack helicopters like the Mi-35M in NAF's fleet posses the necessary sensors like FLIR and NVG googles that makes it easier to hunt, even at night. Also keep in mind that "outdated" helicopters can be upgraded.

3)Our older Mi-35P attack helicopters have equally seen combat over the much thicker mangrove swamps of the Niger Delta region against MEND and other militant groups. As NAF's primary combat air support asset during the ND counter-insurgency, it did kick a$$. Also note that older variants of same airframe has seen combat globally from Sri Lanka to Angola, areas with thick vegetation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 08, 2016
acenazt:
yes ohh the Jf 17 is cheap and strong. How will someone pay 40mill for a helio like The rooivalk when you can get a jf17 for almost half the price?? We talking 25-28 million per unit compared to 40 millioon.

Absolutely!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 08, 2016
ocelot2006:

Abeg, how are Attack Helicopters unable to "penetrate the thick forests"? You do know that:

1)the vegetation along the Nigerian Cameroon border at the North East isnt as thick as you suggest (with the exception of that along the mountain range in TarabGembuTarabae). This is due to the amount of rainfall in these areas.

2)Attack helicopters like the Mi-35M in NAF's fleet posses the necessary sensors like FLIR and NVG googles that makes it easier to hunt, even at night. Also keep in mind that "outdated" helicopters can be upgraded.

3)Our older Mi-35P attack helicopters have equally seen combat over the much thicker mangrove swamps of the Niger Delta region against MEND and other militant groups. As NAF's primary combat air support asset during the ND counter-insurgency, it did kick a$$. Also note that older variants of same airframe has seen combat globally from Sri Lanka to Angola, areas with thick vegetation.

Good one Sir! You know your stuff. Salute!
I hope he sees it though because you replied me instead of the original "thick forest" contributor
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Faculty14(m): 1:03pm On Apr 08, 2016
ocelot2006:

The aircrafts you've mentioned are FIXED WING (fighter jets). Army avaiation around the world only do ROTARY AIRCRAFTS (helicopters) only.

@ OP, I dont think the Rooivalk is a good idea as it will create a logistical nightmare for the military. Why not go for variants of same Mi-35 Hind Attack Helicopter used by the Nigerian Air Force? It combines the role of Attack and Transport very well.
why can't we go for cobras or black hawk choppers for transport and also chinooks
Is their a law prohibiting us from getting this platforms or is it the price.. Is it so expensive??
I wish we get such platforms
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
j1mmy:
The airforce does not have decent jets and helicopters let alone a newly formed aviation wing in the (already decayed) Nigerian army?

there are decent helicopters in the NAF. They also have a decent survelliance and armed drones too. The NA can have an air wing. All armies around the world have that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
slimfit1:
We have students developing or making drones why can't we use them see ways we could put weapons on those drones now why all this embarrassment asking South Africa for help for god safe.

give one reason we shouldn't do deals with Safas.
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by shoboy9: 1:50pm On Apr 08, 2016
Is there no limit to foolishness? when we have an airforce? to waste money duplicating stuff?
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by j1mmy: 2:00pm On Apr 08, 2016
craziebone:

there are decent helicopters in the NAF. They also have a decent survelliance and armed drones too. The NA can have an air wing. All armies around the world have that.

you are not serious!

9 Mil Mi-24, 1972 helicopters = decent some of them are grounded.
I cannot call Chengdu J-7 and 1970s Alpha jet decent.

Why don't you check what other yeye airforces in Africa are using?
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by GuyfawkesAB(m): 2:36pm On Apr 08, 2016
Can't wait to see the J-17s in our Airforce squadrons. I have seen different reviews of the jet fighters in Pakistani and Chinese Airforces.
We can even have an arrangement with them for training and transfer of technology on the said aircrafts in phases
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by ocelot2006(m): 4:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
Faculty14:
why can't we go for cobras or black hawk choppers for transport and also chinooks
Is their a law prohibiting us from getting this platforms or is it the price.. Is it so expensive??
I wish we get such platforms

We tried purchasing old stock of AH-6 Cobras x USMC IsrealiCUSMCsannd46 Sea Knights under GEJ's watch. The Americans blocked the deals, hence the spat btw us and them. The Chinook wouldve been a lovely addition, and so would the Blackhawk, but the Mi-17 is equally very rugged, although its safety record is a concern. Anyway, we can expanded our PUMA fleet
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by ocelot2006(m): 4:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
greenpasture:

Good one Sir! You know your stuff. Salute!
I hope he sees it though because you replied me instead of the original "thick forest" contributor

Oh, im sorry about that. My bad.
Re: Nigerian Army Establishes Aviation Corps, To Acquire Platforms From Russia, SA. by Faculty14(m): 10:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
ocelot2006:

We tried purchasing old stock of AH-6 Cobras x USMC IsrealiCUSMCsannd46 Sea Knights under GEJ's watch. The Americans blocked the deals, hence the spat btw us and them. The Chinook wouldve been a lovely addition, and so would the Blackhawk, but the Mi-17 is equally very rugged, although its safety record is a concern. Anyway, we can expanded our PUMA fleet
that will be nice
Expanding our puma fleet

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Declares Nigeria’s Deportation Of Cameroonian Separatists Illegal / Umahi: DSS Should Arrest People Making Unsubstantiated Claims On Social Media / Femi Fani Kayode Replies Sls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.