Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Nwekpo's Fuel Scarcity Experience - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nwekpo's Fuel Scarcity Experience (498 Views)

Husband Scarcity / Fuel Scarcity And The Missing Prick: A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nwekpo's Fuel Scarcity Experience by bankoleben(m): 12:22pm On Apr 08, 2016
I came across this beautiful piece on Facebook and couldn't stop laughing grin grin grin

As his Toyota Camry crawled closer and closer to the barricade at the gas station, Mr. Nwekpo's heart swelled with a mix of hope and joy. Finally he was going to get fuel. Thinking back to 7:30AM when he joined the queue about two and half kilometers away from the filling station, he checked the dashboard and it was 3PM. He had come a long way.

Nwekpo wiped his sweaty brows and stared out through the window, into the harsh heat of the sun as it hit the tarmac. "Hey... Kponmo! Bring it!" He beckoned a lady carrying a glass box of fried peppered cow skin.
"Abeg give me N200 kponmo," he requested, and even added that she got him a bottle of water out of his balance with her.

The line moved again and he quickly settled the meal on his laps so he could close the gap. This time, Nwekpo did not switch off the engine. His fuel gauge was flashing red, but then he was just 2 cars away from the gate of the gas station and he would soon buy fuel.

Nwekpo rolled up his windows, switched on the AC and began to eat his peppered kponmo.

All of a sudden, the car ahead of him pulled out of the queue into the road and zoomed off. So did a couple of cars from behind him. Nwekpo's heart began to thump in his chest. He quickly switched off the engine and rolled down. "Bros, abeg wetin happen?" He asked a man walking past his car.

"The wicked people no dey sell again."

Nwekpo could feel his head swell, his stomach turn and his knees weaken all at once! After 7 hours?! He could not believe what he had just heard. Nwekpo opened the door and slid out of the car. He took a few steps towards the gas station, spun around and walked back to his car, then he looked at the station again. He landed his fist heavily on the roof of the car and then leaned on it like he was apologizing for his burst of anger.

"After all the suffering," he muttered bitterly. He had just used the little fuel that would have gotten him to the next black market urchin to blow AC. Nwekpo was afraid to start the engine.

Then he heard a voice from behind him. Nwekpo turned around; it was a book vendor.

"Oga I have good motivational books for you. The Power of Imagination... Think and Become A Millionaire... The Richest Man in Babylon..."

Nwekpo registered his disinterest with a dismissing wave of his hand.

The vendor pulled another book from the stack he was hugging, "And if na spiritual books, e dey... Overcoming In Life... Evil Spirits and How They Attack Man..."

Nwekpo hissed. "Please I am not interested."

"Let me even ask you sir," the vendor pushed his luck further. "Do you believe there are demons? This book will show you that..."

Nwekpo's eyes were now red with fury. "Mr. Man I believe there are demons and I don't need your books to tell me that! You are a demon! Our leaders in this country are demons! The oil cabal are demons! Everybody is a demon!"

The book vendor ran away. He finally got the message.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209556814943946&id=1434582941&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10207650495197925%3Atl_objid.10207650495197925%3Athid.1158009917%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1462085999%3A-4470852391594824079&__tn__=*s

(1) (Reply)

Join This Community If You Are A Great Writer Or Aspiring To Be One / The Thing Out There By Minemrys / Anansi And Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.