Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,419 members, 7,819,513 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Following President Buhari Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Following President Buhari Government (804 Views)

Buhari Government Reinstated Our Son Because He Is A Messiah - Maina's Family / I Will Shut Down Buhari’s Government In 72hours / Prayers At Shekarau's House To Destroy Buhari's Government (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Following President Buhari Government by datopaper(m): 8:53pm On Apr 08, 2016
I think it is time we all follow Mr president to know his intention. Either good or bad. I have put myself forward to update Nigerians as we progress into 2019.

I believe You too can help. If you see any updates about President Buhari. First break it here.

Re: Following President Buhari Government by Islamicpope(m): 9:02pm On Apr 08, 2016
I stand with sai baba. It will tough at d beginning but d end will be rousy. D Oracle of truth has said it all and Rev father Mbaka has confirmed it. #no to i stand with corruption era#.
Re: Following President Buhari Government by Ezedon(m): 9:15pm On Apr 08, 2016
I guess the poster above is deaf, dumb and too blind to see what is happening before making such comment

1 Like

Re: Following President Buhari Government by datopaper(m): 11:08pm On Apr 08, 2016
Nigeria decides

Handing over the reins of power in Nigeria
Muhammadu Buhari's Nigeria to-do list
Buhari scores historic win in Nigeria
Nigeria's top five governor battles
Nigeria's former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, 72, is not a quitter.
Defeated in the last three elections, he achieved a historic victory in the 28 March election, becoming the first opposition candidate to defeat an incumbent.
Mr Buhari faced President Goodluck Jonathan, who is from the southern Niger Delta region, for a second time at the polls.
This time, he had the advantage of being the candidate of a united opposition grouping, the All Progressives Congress (APC).
The APC attracted heavyweight defectors from Mr Jonathan's People's Democratic Party (PDP), which has dominated the political scene since the end of military rule in 1999.
ADVERTISEMENT

'Assassination attempt'
Mr Buhari has always been popular among the poor of the north (known as the "talakawa" in the north's Hausa language).
Now some feel his military background and his disciplinarian credentials are just what the whole country needs to get to grips with the Islamist insurgency in the north.
A Muslim from Daura in Katsina State, who has given his support to Sharia in the north, Mr Buhari has previously had to deny allegations that he has a radical Islamist agenda.

Image caption
More than three million people have been displaced in the north-east during the five-year Islamist insurgency
This proved a problem for him in the 2003 polls - he failed to secure much support among Christians in the south, where he was viewed with some suspicion.
But having escaped an attack on his convoy in Kaduna in July 2014, which bore all the hallmarks of a Boko Haram assassination attempt, he has promised to end the insurgency within months if elected.
He has blamed President Jonathan's weakness for its escalation and has refused overtures to participate in talks with the radical militant group.
His tough stance as a military commander in 1983 - when some Nigerian islands were annexed in Lake Chad by Chadian soldiers - is still remembered in the north-east, now the militants' stronghold, after he blockaded the area and drove off the invaders.
'War Against Indiscipline'
He ruled Nigeria from January 1984 until August 1985, taking charge after a military coup in December 1983.
It is a period remembered for a strict campaign against indiscipline and corruption, and for its human rights abuses.
Muhammadu Buhari in focus:

Image caption
Gen Buhari has finally got a kiss of approval from voters
Age 72
Elected president in 28 March poll
Military ruler of Nigeria from 1984 to 1985
Deposed in a coup
Poor human rights record
Seen as incorruptible
Disciplinarian - civil servants late for work had to do frog jumps
Muslim from northern Nigeria
Survived an apparent Boko Haram assassination attempt
The verdict on Mr Buhari's 20 months as military ruler is mixed.
About 500 politicians, officials and businessmen were jailed as part of a campaign against waste and corruption.
If you choose correct leadership, there won't be any need for the military regime
Muhammadu Buhari, Oct 2005
Some saw this as the heavy-handed repression of military rule.
But others remember it as a praiseworthy attempt to fight the endemic graft that prevented Nigeria's development.
He retains a rare reputation for honesty among Nigeria's politicians, both military and civilian, largely because of this campaign.
As part of his "War Against Indiscipline", he ordered Nigerians to form neat queues at bus stops, under the sharp eyes of whip-wielding soldiers.
Civil servants who were late for work were publicly humiliated by being forced to do frog jumps.

Image caption
The opposition has united this time to back one candidate to challenge the PDP in the presidential poll
He also introduced a notorious decree to restrict press freedom, under which two journalists were jailed.
However, his attempts to re-balance public finances by curbing imports led to many job losses and the closure of businesses.
As part of anti-corruption measures, he also ordered that the currency be replaced - the colour of the naira notes were changed - forcing all holders of old notes to exchange them at banks within a limited period.
Prices rose while living standards fell, leading to a palace coup by Gen Ibrahim Babangida on 27 August 1985. Mr Buhari was imprisoned for 40 months.
Mr Babangida wanted to speed up the restoration of civilian rule, which Mr Buhari did not see as a priority.
'Up to the people'
Mr Buhari has continued to defend his coup of 31 December 1983.
"It is up to the people. If you choose correct leadership, there won't be any need for the military regime.
"The military came in when it was absolutely necessary and the elected people had failed the country," he said in October 2005.
When former President Olusegun Obasanjo was a military ruler in the 1970s, Mr Buhari held the key post of minister of petroleum affairs.
But the relationship between the former colleagues cooled as Mr Buhari's coup ousted a civilian government, led by Alhaji Shehu Shagari, who won elections organised by Mr Obasanjo.
This led to continuing questions about Mr Buhari's commitment to democracy.
Relations between the two former generals may now thaw following what seems to be an endorsement for Mr Buhari from Mr Obasanjo in his recently released autobiography.
Mr Buhari "would not be a good economic manager", wrote the politician who won two presidential elections for the PDP after 1999, but "will be a strong, almost inflexible, and a courageous and firm leader".

Re: Following President Buhari Government by chriskosherbal(m): 4:16am On Apr 09, 2016
Well let's still pray for the presidential office and this country in general.

1 Like

Re: Following President Buhari Government by datopaper(m): 8:48am On Apr 09, 2016
Dele Momodu: A second desperate memo to President Buhari
Your Excellency, Assalam Alaikum. It has been over six months since you graciously invited me to your office in Abuja. I must note once again that I was truly honoured and humbled by our one-on-one meeting. We spoke and interacted like two old buddies. What was more, I was all alone with you without a third party in the room. We spoke candidly and cracked jokes freely.

I remember presenting you with an advance copy of my forthcoming book and you even requested me to autograph it for you which I did with such pride and gratitude in me. We took loads of pictures before and after the meeting. I left you reassured in my belief that Nigeria is in safe hands.

Sir, a lot has happened since that meeting took place. In fact, so much water has passed under the bridge. Let me take you down memory lane a bit. You started contesting the Presidential election as far back as 2003. For three consecutive times, you lost and it seemed all hope had evaporated. In 2011, we were co-contestants.

I was driven to your house one night by Prince Lanre Tejuoso (now a Senator) who wanted me to tone down my criticism of you and opposition to your candidacy. I was totally disarmed by your humility and simplicity. You spoke softly and candidly. I felt you were too old to return to a post you left nearly 30 years ago but you were certain you still have so much in you to offer Nigeria. The

Jonathan government that won the election at that time was ushered in with so much hope and promise. After that election, you said that you would never seek elective office again. After three arduous attempts, you must have felt it was all a bloody waste of time seeking an opportunity to rebuild an irredeemable country that seemed determined to be plunged into the abyss by those you were convinced did not mean well for the country.

But the government that promised us fresh air soon lost its sail and floundered aimlessly. It wobbled and fumbled till it became obvious that something had to be done to avert a monumental catastrophe, the kind that you had foreseen. The situation became so bad that most of us were left with no choice but to see you as our only God-sent redeemer.

This was how the stone previously and repeatedly rejected by the builders suddenly transfigured into the much needed cornerstone. Your most caustic critics soon became your ardent fanatics. We were hypnotised and mesmerised by your new look. You were repackaged as a reformed and born again democrat. We studiously ignored your military credentials and dictatorial proclivity.

The young and old screamed your name from the rooftops. Many youths were ready to march for you and even die in the process. The last time we witnessed such a phenomenon was in 1993 when Chief Moshood Abiola contested and won the June 12 Presidential election which was later annulled by your former colleagues in the army.

You and your political party enjoyed a whirlwind romance with Nigerians. The covenant was based on mutual trust and the hope that you had robust knowledge of Nigerian history as well as vast experience in governance. Your avowed integrity was the icing on the cake. We expected you to inspire us as a veritable example of honesty-personified. The election came and you won almost effortlessly. What mattered to us was for someone to liberate and remove us from the suffocating yoke of the PDP. You looked the perfect man to do it.

Of course, to whom much is given much is expected. The burden of proof and expectation hung around your neck like an albatross. Soon, it seemed Nigerians thought and assumed that they had voted for a magician and so expected miracles to happen instantaneously. Trouble started very early. You inherited a government with plummeting revenues as the crude oil which greased the economy had suffered a massive collapse in price thus emasculating our country’s fortune and reserves.

In addition, just before you returned to power the outgoing government had twice devalued the Naira leaving you with a currency that was set for free fall. In short the Government that you assumed control of was one which was like a disaster waiting to happen.

Nigerians are generally impatient. We are action-packed and expect talismanic results. Unfortunately that has not happened and is not likely to happen soon no matter how hard you try. Sir, let me stop the introduction and go straight to the crux of the matter. While I do not want to sound like a doomsday prophet, I wish to alert you that there is fire on the mountain. This is not a subtle or covert attempt to create any panic. As a war General, I’m certain you have enough liver to withstand shock. But what I wish to say without mincing words is that we are yielding grounds to the enemies.

Hard core supporters of your campaign like me are being derided by those who feel you are not living up to expectations. I know your handlers are likely to dismiss this as crying wolf where there is none but please, don’t listen to them. The situation is very critical and may even get out of hand if not carefully and delicately managed.

You are going to be told the usual tales and rigmarole of how corruption is fighting back. Yes, perhaps corruption is fighting back truly but it is because you did not prepare adequately for the backlash. The style and manner of the war you are waging has not been novel. The approach has been a rehash of the Obasanjo era with Nuhu Ribadu in charge.

What would I have done differently if I were you? I would have traced and located the loot as much as possible before launching my attack. Surprise is one of the most effective weapons of war. And you are without doubt an accomplished General. It is only in Nigeria that investigators announce in advance who the next set of villains they are coming after will be. I would have gone to the courts to seek permission to freeze the looted funds.

Thereafter, I would have asked my operatives to show evidence of the identified perpetrators and located the looters and ask for their cooperation in gently signing the purloined money back to the State without hullabaloo. I will then exchange a grudging handshake and tell them to sin no more. Those who wish to be difficult would be treated like hardened criminals and the full weight of the law would descend powerfully on such recalcitrant fellows. I would have kept the promise you made prior to assumption of office of drawing the line after being sworn in on May 29 and punish any fresh acts of rascality and irresponsibility.

I will ensure there is a uniform treatment for all Nigerians, rich or poor, members of my party and others. I will avoid anything that would suggest I’m principally after my perceived enemies and opponents. I will not create tension and confusion within my own party and accept the verdict of the people in their collective wisdom or stupidity. A house divided against itself cannot stand, I read in the Holy Bible.

I would also make sure that as much as possible I would internalise the process and not wash the country’s dirty linen in public. Such tactics only tends to frighten away those who would assist us and make life unbearable for our citizens abroad. If we require assistance from other countries to repatriate our looted resources I would have engaged the leaders of those countries privately and sought their co-operation surreptitiously.

I would have realised that even if they desired to assist my government they would be hampered by the rule of law enshrined in their respective jurisdictions and recourse would be required to the judicial process in those countries.

My silent approach to the recovery of the looted funds would also ensure that the expectations of the people of this country would not be unnecessarily heightened. The money Abacha pillaged is still being recovered in staccato and stuttering fashion almost 20 years after his death. It is important for you to realise that corruption will fester and even explode when it is incubated in an economy approaching a comatose state as people seek to survive by all means possible.

I will therefore make the economy my utmost priority. Trust me Sir, as important as the war against corruption is wonderful, it pales into irrelevance and insignificance where hunger, deprivation, poverty, unemployment, poor education, ignorance, diseases, insecurity of lives and properties and other complications are concerned.

Many people are going to hail you for arresting the thieves but the same people will soon turn around to attack you when they can’t feel the effect of the war positively on their bodies and souls. In case you are shielded from reading the comments making the rounds, let me inform you Sir, that people are already saying they would rather have corruption back, out of the desperation and suffering they are going through. And these are not the so-called looters but the ordinary Nigerians.

Nothing illustrates this more poignantly than the video posted by Instablog9ja on Instagram and other social media platforms yesterday showing a man that looks like a taxi driver being interviewed. The man said he is so frustrated that he wants Nigeria to perish and all of us with it instantaneously. He wished that we all die simultaneously, at once and suddenly. The clip has already gone viral globally. Therefore, if anyone tells you only the elites are grumbling, they are telling you a blatant lie, Sir.

The poor who were your best friends and biggest supporters appear totally confused, disillusioned and ostensibly tired of the endless excuses coming out of your Administrations spokespeople. I read somewhere that your foot-soldiers will soon embark on town hall meetings but I can assure you it won’t achieve anything. Why do you want to engage in campaign after election? Some expert scammers would just collect money for these jamborees.

Nigerians want positive change and not a cacophony of lies bandied at stage managed, hurriedly assembled meetings populated by sycophants and glory hunters. They are ready to sacrifice but not when they think things are going from bad to worse. There is so much to do but without an agile economy nothing tangible can be achieved. The economy itself cannot be fixed in an atmosphere of permanent strife.

One year will soon pass by next month and a second year shall begin. It is time to bite the bullet and take the economy head on. Forget about all distractions and concentrate on what really matters to the generality of our people. You will find out that once the economy is tamed all else will follow suit and the successes that you crave in your corruption crusade will start being manifested.

I pray you will hearken to my humble advice and concentrate your energy on resurrecting the economy instead of embarking on a war of attrition. You will be judged ultimately by the comfort you bring to your people and not the self-immolating pain you inflict on real and imaginary enemies.

May Allah grant you the wisdom of Nelson Mandela who chose the path of reconciliation and national rebirth above the tempting choice of prolonging the horror of racial segregation.

My warmest regards to you and yours always.

I remain yours sincerely

Re: Following President Buhari Government by sdindan: 8:52am On Apr 09, 2016
Confirmed Zombies Assembly.

Nzuko Ndi arah.
Re: Following President Buhari Government by datopaper(m): 1:07pm On Apr 09, 2016
PRESIDENT BUHARI TO CONFER WITH XI JINPING ON GREATER CHINESE SUPPORT FOR DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA'S INFRASTRUCTURE

President Muhammadu Buhari will leave Abuja tomorrow for a working visit to China aimed at securing greater support from Beijing for the development of Nigeria's infrastructure, especially in the power, roads, railways, aviation, water supply and housing sectors.

President Buhari's talks with President Xi Jinping, Premier Li Keqiang and the Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National Peoples’ Congress, Zhang Dejiang will also focus on strengthening bilateral cooperation in line with the Federal Government's agenda for the rapid diversification of the Nigerian economy, with emphasis on agriculture and solid minerals development.

It is expected that in the course of the visit, several new agreements and memorandums of understanding to boost trade and economic relations between Nigeria and China will be concluded and signed.

The agreements include a Framework Agreement between the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment and the National Development and Reform Commission of the Peoples' Republic of China to Boost Industrial Activities and Infrastructural Development in Nigeria.

Others are a Framework Agreement between the Federal Ministry of Communications and the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation, and a Memorandum of Understanding between Nigeria and China on Scientific and Technological Cooperation.

In keeping with his administration's prioritization of economic diversification and industrialisation to boost employment, President Buhari and his delegation will tour the Shanghai Free Trade Zone and the Guangzhou Economic and Technological Development Zone to gain more useful insights and understanding of the policies that underpinned China's astronomical economic growth in recent years.

The President, whose entourage will include some state governors as well as the Ministers of Agriculture, Water Resources, Transport, Defence, Power, Works & Housing, Industry, Trade & Investment, Federal Capital Territory, Science & Technology and Foreign Affairs, will also open a China-Nigeria Business/Investment Forum in Beijing and meet with members of the Nigerian Community in China before returning to Abuja at the weekend.

Femi Adesina
Special Adviser to the President
(Media & Publicity)
April 9, 2016
Re: Following President Buhari Government by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 09, 2016
He brings bad news.....I choose to focus on the good ones lipsrsealed
Re: Following President Buhari Government by datopaper(m): 8:24pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nigerians have not entered One Chance, because the One Chance drivers and their conductors have been driven out of town. ~@MBuhari
Re: Following President Buhari Government by datopaper(m): 7:06am On Apr 10, 2016
Presidency rolls out policy actions to revamp economy

We acknowledge the pain, are concerned, and already taking decisive actions, says VP

Unveiling a detailed economic agenda that specifically tackles the nation's current challenges, Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, has called on the Nigerian people to remain patient and indeed expectant, assuring that the Buhari administration is firmly committed to revamping the Nigerian economy and fulfilling its promises.

Acknowledging the pains currently facing the nation, Prof. Osinbajo expressed the determination of President Muhammadu Buhari's administration to take decisive decisions that would positively resolve the current economic challenges.

Said he: "We acknowledge the pains and are concerned by them. Which is why we are working diligently to address the tough challenges inherited from the nation's past."

According to him “we are working diligently to address the tough challenges inherited from the nation’s past," adding that the plethora of challenges facing Nigeria could be overwhelming, and with it the multitude of things requiring decisive action that have to be strategically handled.

Speaking today at “The Nation's Forum On The Economy” in Lagos, the Vice President averred that the Buhari administration is already “taking action and in due course they would produce satisfying outcomes, for they are borne out of a leadership that has no other agenda but the progress and greatness of Nigeria”.

Unveiling the economic strategic plan, Prof. Osinbajo disclosed that the Federal Government’s blueprint would be based on a strategic implementation plan for the 2016 budget under six thematic key areas, adding that the plan, would focus on about 33 Priority Actions.

He listed the following strategic areas and some of the policy actions including the following:

A. Lasting Changes in the Policy Environment, National Security and Governance

-        Achieve an Appropriate Foreign Exchange Regime

Increase low interest lending to the Real Sector we need to move toward a single digit interest rate.

-        Maintain Capital Spending in the Budget at a minimum of 30%. Complement this with funds from the Infrastructure Fund for commercial projects

-        Intensify the Fight Against Corruption by increasing Transparency, Accountability and Compliance with Law and Order

B. Diversifying the Economy by Fast-tracking Industrialization, Agriculture and Agro-Allied Processing, as well as attracting investment into the Solid Minerals, Tourism and Entertainment Sectors

-        Implement Measures to Achieve Self-Sufficiency & Become Net Exporters of certain agricultural Items: rice-2018, tomato paste-2016, wheat-2019. Increase local production of maize, soya, poultry & livestock, so as to achieve self-sufficiency: deadlines to be announced in due course

-        Adopt and Implement a Roadmap to Stimulate Investment into the Solid Minerals sector, and plug Revenue Leakages in the Sector

-        Increase Manufacturing Capacity through the operationalization of Industrial Parks, Free and Export Processing Zones, etc.

C. Priority Critical Infrastructure, focused on increasing investment in Power, Rail and Roads, etc.

-        Optimize the 7,000MW installed capacity and ensure associated infrastructure to Fuel, Transmit and Distribute this capacity. 

-        Undertake the rehabilitation and construction of 31 major Road Projects scheduled for 2016 to restore degraded sections of the Federal Highways network and to Establish Connectivity over a distance of 2,193km (through public works projects, maintenance works, PPP and other interventions)

D. Oil and Gas Reforms

-        Adopt & Execute a Comprehensive National Oil & Gas Master-Plan (‘NOGM’) as the roadmap for the Petroleum Industry’s Development, Diversification, Privatization & Governance. Adopt & Execute a Roadmap of Gas Development & Flare Elimination

-        Set a deadline to be Self-Sufficient in Refined Petroleum Products & become a Net Exporter 

Work with the National Assembly on the passage of a Revised Petroleum Industry Bill (‘PIB’) or Bills to give effect to the NOGM & to resolve Fiscal & Governance Issues of the Sector, & Eliminate Gas Flaring

E. Ease of Doing Business

-        Move 20 places up global Ease of Doing Business Rankings, by implementing fast track measures for business approvals, acquisition of land titles, etc. (Nigeria is currently ranked 169 out of 189 countries by the World Bank – 2015 Survey)

Fast-track visa application and issuance processes

F. Social Investment 

-        Implement Social Intervention Programme and specific Health / Education projects included in 2016 Budget

Health Sector Interventions including Flagging off the Revitalization of 1 Primary Health Centre per Ward (a total of 10,000 nationwide)

The Social Investment plans include the following:

*Train and deploy 500,000 unemployed graduates as volunteer teachers who would be paid on the job while they seek jobs in their chosen careers. 

*Homegrown School Feeding for primary school pupils across the country paid for by the government

*Micro-credit scheme that provides very soft loans to a million market women, artisans, traders

*Creating innovation and technology hubs/ parks on a large scale and skills acquisition & vocational training for over 300,000 non-graduate youths 

* Conditional Cash Transfer where one million poor and vulnerable Nigerians would receive N5000 monthly

*Bursary awards for tertiary education students of Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths, STEM.

Vice President Osinbajo also re-assured the nation on the Change Agenda in line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s statement in his 2016 Budget Presentation speech, that “we remain committed to economic diversification through import substitution, and export promotion, in order to build a robust and resilient economy, as a lasting legacy for generations to come”.

He then underscored the necessity for continuous engagement with the Nigerian people, including stakeholders in the economy, stating that “we intend to start a quarterly meeting with members of the private sector and other economic stakeholders soon and thereby create a forum for engagement on an ongoing basis.” 

“Town-hall meetings at the presidential level would also be resumed across the country to explain progress and address the challenges with our people,” he further stated.

Laolu Akande

Senior Special Assistant-Media & Publicity

In the Office of the Vice President

April 7, 2016
Re: Following President Buhari Government by datopaper(m): 4:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
Why can't this government end fuel scarcity since June, 2015? - PDP asks

(1) (Reply)

Budget: Senate Faults FIRS’ N16bn Salary For Proposed Staff / Defence Lawyer Reveals Details Of Fraud Petitions Against Saraki / #fulaniherdsmen, Gov Infeanyi Ugwuanyi Contact

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.