Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,040 members, 7,821,582 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN (15861 Views)

Receive Funds You’re Going To Need In Order To Obtain A Motor Vehicle Finance / We’re Addressing Recession With Wrong Tools —CBN / Who Remembers This- We’re Going Bankrupt, Non-oil Exporters Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by winningwinner(m): 9:17pm On Apr 08, 2016
Rising from the bankers committee meeting, the commercial banks have called on the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to hasten the release of the five per cent Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) which it promised would be plagued back to the banks for increased lending to the real sector

The CBN after its Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting in November 2015 slashed the Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) otherwise known as lending rate to 11 per cent from 13 per cent and reduced its CRR from 25 per cent to 20 per cent to increase liquidity in the system.

The CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, at the 247th meeting of the MPC said the liquidity arising from the reduction of the CRR will only be released to the banks that are willing to channel it to employment generating activities in the economy such as agriculture, infrastructure and solid minerals.

Nnamdi Okonkwo, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Fidelity while addressing the reporters after the meeting said: “When the CRR was reduced by 5 per cent, the intention was to release the amount to the banks to enable them avail the real sector borrowers at a single digit.

“We discussed around that and agreed that the Central bank will need to work out modality and hasten action towards releasing this 5 per cent drop in CRR to the bank to lend to the reel sector and we we are looking forward to making that real.”

CRR is a specified minimum fraction of the total deposits of customers, which commercial banks have to hold as reserves either in cash or as deposits with the central bank. CRR is set according to the guidelines of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

This demand is coming on the heels of reduced lending to the reel sector on account of increasing Non Performing Loan (NPL) portfolio of commercial banks which has seen around N500 billion provision on the balance sheet of commercial banks for the year ended 2015

The amount of bad loans in the banking industry rose sharply by 78.8 per cent to N649.63 billion in 2015, indicating severe deterioration in the quality of the loan portfolio of the 22 banks. This was contained in a Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Staff report presented to the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).

According to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Staff report presented to the Monetary Policy Committee

there was a general increase in bad loans (non performing loans) among the 22 Deposit Money Banks in the country. This was despite 30 per cent decline in new loans granted by banks in 2015 to N5.78 trillion.

Also speaking at the briefing, CBN Director Banking Supervision, Tokunbo Martins disclosed the approval of two new super agents that are supposed to distribute banking products at cheaper prices which will hopefully carry banking services to the nook and cranny of this country

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/we-need-more-cash-banks-tell-cbn/141507.html

2 Likes

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by olorunda68: 9:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
Good news to borrowers and all Nigerians grin
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by winningwinner(m): 10:40pm On Apr 08, 2016
olorunda68:

Let's see how it goes.
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by timilehing(m): 6:13am On Apr 09, 2016

1 Like

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by nastyesco(m): 6:15am On Apr 09, 2016
Abeg where fuel dey sell? undecided

9 Likes

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Kylekent59: 6:16am On Apr 09, 2016
Let's start doing yahoo yahoo naa. Dats d solution

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by wilcox(m): 6:17am On Apr 09, 2016
Make them sign budget na!
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by iykebest1(m): 6:19am On Apr 09, 2016
Issorite
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by TooNoisy(f): 6:19am On Apr 09, 2016
Even if this happens, I don't see how we can get single digit borrowing overnight when rates are over 20 percent.

Buhari needs sound economic tutorials and he should begin to listen to experts.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Chuksemi(m): 6:19am On Apr 09, 2016
I thought the CBN recently withdrew billions of Naira fron circulation to reduce liquidity and induce deflation. Why are they making policies that would encourage liquidity and inflation again? I am not suprised at the alarming rate of bad loans, the economic crunch is working. cry

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by yomalex(m): 6:19am On Apr 09, 2016
Okay
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by wilcox(m): 6:20am On Apr 09, 2016
nastyesco:
Abeg where fuel dey sell? undecided
There's fuel in NNPC located inside aso villa. Just go there and buy yours no cue or stress.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by streamsofjoy(f): 6:21am On Apr 09, 2016
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Adiara: 6:22am On Apr 09, 2016
i need more cash 2 So No b only Banks oooh.
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by IVORY2009(m): 6:22am On Apr 09, 2016
Lolz
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by emmabest2000(m): 6:22am On Apr 09, 2016
olorunda68:
@Borrowers ....Lamfao

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Emokai3(m): 6:23am On Apr 09, 2016
I hear se plane wa carry boko hari crash last night..na true

1 Like

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by LoremIpsum: 6:23am On Apr 09, 2016
In other News, Let's pray for the Zombies just as they used to pray for the Wailers then:

May God treat you the way Bubu is treating Nigerians. Can I hear some loud Amens?

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by francizy(m): 6:24am On Apr 09, 2016
I noticed this same shît yesterday and was about to go haywire on a UBA staff, thinking it was their fault.. Just a few hundreds of k and they told me cash wasn't available. Had to spend over 3 hours at their bank coupled with BVN issues before I was able to make my withdrawal and subsequently entered the market to get me some stuffs.. angry

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by justicejay(m): 6:27am On Apr 09, 2016
Sb
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Nobody: 6:27am On Apr 09, 2016
Really?
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by amiibaby(f): 6:28am On Apr 09, 2016
Okay we have heard.....NEXT
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by babdap: 6:29am On Apr 09, 2016
Since I never collect salary in months, I no dey enter banking hall again.
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by InvertedHammer: 6:30am On Apr 09, 2016
\

Be careful about your money in the Nigeria banks.

Banks liquidation may be around the corner.

There will be no signs. You go to the bank on friday and on monday you see locked gates manned by Mopols. Then it will be too late. That has always been their modus operandi.

Forewarned is forearmed.

/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Zdoh(m): 6:31am On Apr 09, 2016
#Bringback our Naira.
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by seunlayi(m): 6:31am On Apr 09, 2016

My advice to the banks

* don't waste your time writing a letter to the presidency about your request.
* sneak to the hanger where the presidential plane is parked
* inscribed your request on the inner wall of the plane cabin.
* that is the best way to make him see your request

* this is necessary because he spent most things in the air flying to and fro

Thanks

Signed
A new member of the Wailers club

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Adesiji77: 6:34am On Apr 09, 2016
It is a laudable initiative on "paper" but banks are not so eager to lend because of the current economic climate, not to talk of the rigorous approval process in most banks.

Again, agriculture is considered as a risky sector by many banks, same for solid minerals.

4 Likes

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Justicealh3(m): 6:34am On Apr 09, 2016
Endtime Cash Needers.
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Olukokosir(m): 6:35am On Apr 09, 2016
Omo.... 9ja iyaf spoilt.....
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by asha80(m): 6:37am On Apr 09, 2016
InvertedHammer:

\

Be careful about your money in the Nigeria banks.

Banks liquidation may be around the corner.

There will be no signs. You go to the bank on friday and on monday you see locked gates manned by Mopols. Then it will be too late. That has always been their modus operandi.

Forewarned is forearmed.

/

Guy this your alarm is somehow

1 Like

Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Nobody: 6:37am On Apr 09, 2016
No be small case
Re: We’re Going To Need More Cash, Banks Tell CBN by Dottore: 6:38am On Apr 09, 2016
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Style By Zenith 2.0": Zenith Bank Ignites Lagos / How Is Cash Availability In Your Area? / I Need Idea On How To Start A Nylon Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.