Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,362 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? (6938 Views)

10 Signs You Only Went To School But An Illiterate / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by zeeno(m): 11:08pm On Jul 31, 2009
Sometimes i wonder what it would have been, if i did not know how to read or write. But many people today are illiterate have u ask urself how these people feel living in a civilized world and lacking behind greatly. Ask urself if u are an illiterate how will u feel? Think and let us know ur mind, God Bless Nigeria
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by charlisco(m): 12:39pm On Aug 05, 2009
that question is not too far from what i am about to say,
they are some subjects, i am not really good at,i mean i do not have a sound background,e.g chemical equation in Organic Chemistry
whenever the topic is up, the only option i have is to cram the equation.

to me, i feel cheated
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by Fredique(m): 12:40pm On Aug 05, 2009
If I did not have the opportunity to go to school, I would still be good at what I do. . .Or so I think. . .cos it's an attitude
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by kay4suree(m): 1:15pm On Aug 05, 2009
I would have feel great.Nowadays we disturb ourselves with a lot of material things that brought about by this so called "litracy" which is synonimous with civilization.God should have created me in a remote village where there is no civilization,where all my livings will be gotten from the forest.Where there will not be any need to be clamouring for material things,(because even if i have them where will i wear them to). I would have been married by now with a lot of kids that will be helping me out in my farm instead of this my so-called "unfinished schooling".How i wish!!!Even with you being a professor within a second u'll just pass away and alas! that's the end.People should know that we only come to this world once if you dont live it,where will you ever have the chance to.Ever since when i was born i never live my life.I was dying to enter university after university education,i was dying to start working.When i finally got a job i dying to settle down.Then i was dying to train my kids before i could realise i have retire from my job and about to enter my grave.I wish God could reverse my case.

UP CHELSEA TILL DEATH

1 Like

Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by ReachRich(m): 1:17pm On Aug 05, 2009
Thank God am not. wink wink wink
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 05, 2009
@poster

Please, give us a clear definition of what illiteracy is?
Cos the last time I checked, most supposedly literate nigerians behave worst than the illiterates you are talking about. In that light, it will be easier finding out how "illiterates" feel just by assessing yourself or asking literate nigerians how they feel.

kay4suree:

I would have feel great.Nowadays we disturb ourselves with a lot of material things that brought about by this so called "litracy" which is synonimous with civilization.God should have created me in a remote village where there is no civilization,where all my livings will be gotten from the forest.Where there will not be any need to be clamouring for material things,(because even if i have them where will i wear them to). I would have been married by now with a lot of kids that will be helping me out in my farm instead of this my so-called "unfinished schooling".How i wish!!!Even with you being a professor within a second u'll just pass away and alas! that's the end.People should know that we only come to this world once if you dont live it,where will you ever have the chance to.Ever since when i was born i never live my life.I was dying to enter university after university education,i was dying to start working.When i finally got a job i dying to settle down.Then i was dying to train my kids before i could realise i have retire from my job and about to enter my grave.I wish God could reverse my case.

UP CHELSEA TILL DEATH     

Boko Haram sect is still in existence, they niether believe in western education nor in civilization. So, I will advise you to move closer to Yobe, Bauchi, Chad or Niger and fulfill your dreams.

ReachRich:

Thank God am not. wink wink wink

Hurray!!!!
Nigeria got herself a literate dude here.

OBJ, Andy Uba, Yaradua, Bode Goerge, Anenih etc can also be said to be literates.

Thank god for nigeria; a country full of literates fools.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by dahcom: 1:35pm On Aug 05, 2009
let's ask ourselves, is literacy ability to read and write or having western education? we are missing up many things in this country until we understand that literacy is the thing of the mind not the number of books you buy or your frontier, then we will appreciate that we can achieve what we want through what we have.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by ayobase(m): 1:48pm On Aug 05, 2009
an illiterate?
then it is high time
I started taking up challenges!
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by nickybayo(f): 1:53pm On Aug 05, 2009
itk
nuzo:

@poster

Cos the last time I checked, most supposedly literate nigerians behave worst than the illiterates you are talking about. In that light, it will be easier finding out how "illiterates" feel just by assessing yourself or asking literate nigerians how they feel.

Boko Haram sect is still in existence, they niether believe in western education nor in civilization. So, I will advise you to move closer to Yobe, Bauchi, Chad or Niger and fulfill your dreams.

Hurray!!!!

OBJ, Andy Uba, Yaradua, Bode Goerge, Anenih etc can also be said to be literates.

Thank god for nigeria; a country full of literates fools.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by posakosa(m): 1:59pm On Aug 05, 2009
nuzo:

@poster

Hurray!!!!

Thank god for nigeria; a country full of literates fools. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Well said my main man.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 05, 2009
We all are still illiterate one way or the other. Ask me HOW. wink
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by posakosa(m): 2:13pm On Aug 05, 2009
Illiterate probably means someone who can't read or write.

The fact you can't read or write in English, doesn't make you illiterate.

(There are yoruba and Igbo reading or speaking only literates) Too many illiterates on the Hausa side so I no fit vouch for them,
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by akigbemaru: 2:32pm On Aug 05, 2009
kay4suree:

UP CHELSEA TILL DEATH    

I would have cursed your ass off because of your unconvincing opening; I perused forward  and have come to find out you are making senses.
But you should be happy at least you got your education at the end of the day.

I would have been married by now with a lot of kids that will be helping me out in my farm instead of this my so-called "unfinished schooling".How i wish!!!Even with you being a professor within a second u'll just pass away and alas! that's the end.People should know that we only come to this world once if you dont live it,where will you ever have the chance to.Ever since when i was born i never live my life.I was dying to enter university after university education,i was dying to start working.When i finally got a job i dying to settle down.Then i was dying to train my kids before i could realise i have retire from my job and about to enter my grave.I wish God could reverse my case.
You remind me of just the same feat and hurdles I went though just to get my degree and my life had never been the same again. I feel good no lie!

But you should be happy at least you got your education at the end of the day.

Then, those that went into early childbirth what did they achieve? All we get from it is almajiris.
We need to stop this early childbirth and polygamous too, in 2006 our population was 140,000,000 and just in a course of two and half years we net 157,000,000. We had 17,000,000 increases just within two and half years and our nominal GDP still stays the same. That is a harbinger of a bad omen. We are the most religious country indeed, a country where our religious clerics stays on sex 24/7 and everything is straight doggy styles.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by Deshola: 3:02pm On Aug 05, 2009
I would ensure I go to school
Even if it is distance education or adult school.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by agathamari(f): 3:13pm On Aug 05, 2009
dahcom:

let's ask ourselves, is literacy ability to read and write or having western education? we are missing up many things in this country until we understand that literacy is the thing of the mind not the number of books you buy or your frontier, then we will appreciate that we can achieve what we want through what we have.

From the Oxford Dictionary
literacy

• noun the ability to read and write. (any language not just english)
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by otukpo(f): 3:15pm On Aug 05, 2009
i can't imagine it.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by AjanleKoko: 3:16pm On Aug 05, 2009
If you were living in the United States, for one thing you wouldn't be able to vote.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by UlaUla: 3:18pm On Aug 05, 2009
smiley
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by methodman(m): 3:22pm On Aug 05, 2009
kay4suree:

I would have feel great.Nowadays we disturb ourselves with a lot of material things that brought about by this so called "litracy" which is synonimous with civilization.God should have created me in a remote village where there is no civilization,where all my livings will be gotten from the forest.Where there will not be any need to be clamouring for material things,(because even if i have them where will i wear them to). I would have been married by now with a lot of kids that will be helping me out in my farm instead of this my so-called "unfinished schooling".How i wish!!!

Nice grammar, Can see that you didnt go to skol, Haba!!!!!!! (I would havr feel great) grin
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by ForConsult: 3:39pm On Aug 05, 2009
charlisco:

that question is not too far from what i am about to say,
they are some subjects, i am not really good at,i mean i do not have a sound background,e.g chemical equation in Organic Chemistry
whenever the topic is up, the only option i have is to cram the equation.

to me, i feel cheated

Well, cheated is hardly
the way to feel

But let me say this;
it's not uncommmon to be
literate in some areas
and be non-literate in others.

As observed by other posters,
what definition of illitracy was
on the mind on the author of
this thread?

As an individual, when I discover
i need more learning in a field
of knowledge, I go for it or
surround myself with those
knowledgeable in that field
to accomplish whatever mission
is before me.

That's the attitude.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by jimmysho(m): 4:00pm On Aug 05, 2009
i will join boko haram straight up. just kidding that cant be my post. will do all possible to aquire education
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by akigbemaru: 4:10pm On Aug 05, 2009
methodman:

Nice grammar, Can see that you didnt go to skol, Haba!!!!!!! (I would havr feel great) grin

[/quote
Ha ha ha ha, see kettle calling pot black. The guy even commands better usage than you. You put upper case after a comma; you might call it topographical error any damn way. I see why you did go to school.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2009
i would feel "PROUDLY NIGERIAN"
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by canuck(m): 4:54pm On Aug 05, 2009
Isn't that how it feels to be a 3rd World Country among the industrialized economies?

No shakin' - We obviously do not give 2 hoots.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by minto(m): 4:59pm On Aug 05, 2009
I might not know I'm missing out on anything or I might not care afterall. Mostly, it takes someone who is not, to value and appreciate good education.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by iniguy(m): 5:48pm On Aug 05, 2009
Just can't imagine it!. . . .ok i'll probably be married to 5 wifes with at least 12 children!
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by Nezan(m): 5:57pm On Aug 05, 2009
Being literate doesnt apply to the ability to read and write only though.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by drdozzy: 6:01pm On Aug 05, 2009
I probably won't feel adequate at some gatherings of the lettered and well- spoken. However, allow me to pose a question, if I am able to read and write only the Yoruba language? Does it change anything? Am I still illiterate?

Now, illiteracy means the inability to read or write. Read or write what if I may ask? The English language? Can the average English man read or write Igbo? Does it make him, temporarily an illiterate in the Igbo sense of it?

Life is all about perspectives. It is the way we view things, and our views are coloured my a myriads of factors known and subconscious. However, in modern times, economic power dictates the language of currency and of course the lingua-franca of the world!

So we must take TOEFL because we seek the golden fleece in the land that flows with milk and honey, and in that land, illiteracy is a SIN! smiley
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by PurestBoy(m): 6:05pm On Aug 05, 2009
I'll give my best in whatever situation I might have found myself if I were an illiterate, Be it anything even if begger or robber
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by sweetpain: 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2009
If I was illiterate I will be free of certain burden and restrictions that literacy brings like wearing condoms. A fool's paradise is paradise nontheless.
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by nature262(m): 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2009
I would be a village craftsman and be the best at it, illiteracy does not make me physical handicap and be happy like matin luther (jnr or snr) said about the street sweeper
Re: How Would You Feel, If You Are An Illiterate? by Nonnyl(m): 8:49pm On Aug 05, 2009
Plz,illetracy is the state of the mind cos i've come across profs and lawyer that fools are better than. So,instead of that, why not be illetrate and be best in whatever i'm doing. "good name is better than degrees and qualifications".[color=#550000][/color]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ambrose Alli University Cut Off Mark Misconception. / Neco 2015 / 2016 Marketing Questions & Answers (obj / Theory) / ASUU Members Fight With Fg After Meeting Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.