Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,540 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera (5080 Views)

Meizu A5 Launched With Octa-core CPU, 8MP Camera / Oukitel Soon To Launch The U13 Pro With 7000 Mah Battery And 16MP Camera. / Samsung S5's 16mp Camera Vs Tecno C8's 13mp. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 09, 2016
Most smartphone users believe that a 16MP camera on a device means a high camera quality but unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. A lot of OEMs bank on consumers’ ignorance and slam low quality cameras with high resolutions on their devices in order to unnecessarily hype the price. Have you ever wondered why Apple sticked with a camera resolution of 8MP right till iPhone 6 Plus? Despite this, a lot of reviewers still use the iPhone’s 8MP camera as their benchmark when reviewing cameras on other smartphones.

There’s one thing a lot of us don’t know: a huge “camera MP” doesn’t really mean the camera is of high quality. An 8MP camera sometimes produce clearer images than a 16MP camera.

What exactly is camera resolution & image resolution?

We’ll try to explain this in the simplest possible way for everyone to understand. An image is made up of tiny dots called picture element (pixels). PIXEL is derived from PICture ELement. These tiny dots call pixels are arranged horizontally and vertically.

Megapixel rating can then be described as the number of pixels (those tiny dots mentioned earlier) that will make up an image captured by a camera sensor. For instance, lets say a camera captures an image with 3264 pixels horizontally and 2448 pixels vertically, we can then say the
image resolution is 3264 x 2448 pixels.
The total pixels in the image then becomes:

3,264 x 2,448 = 7,990,272 pixels.

This means means this is a 7.99MP camera, approximately 8.0MP

Why this is important

Well, unless you intend to blow your pictures into large prints to be used on billboards, having a 16MP camera on your phone may be useless. The larger the megapixel rating, the more details you have in the picture.
This means when the image is zoomed, it doesn’t quickly get blurry and also, when a tiny part of it is cropped out, the result is still reasonably detailed.
However, this isn’t everything you need in a camera.

When buying your next smartphone and you need a device with the best camera, here are things to consider apart from the camera resolution.

Sensor Size

Generally, the larger the camera sensor, the better the produced image. As we now have cameras packed into smartphones, there has been a significant reduction in sensor size compared to DSLR cameras. The size of the sensor ultimately determines how much light is used in creating the image. The bigger it is, the better the image looks.

Aperture Size (f-stop value)

The aperture size is the hole light through which light travels to reach the sensor mentioned above. You see, these two are somehow related. The larger the aperture, the more the amount of light that’s able to pass through. This means the wider the aperture, the more information the sensor is able to receive.

Ironically, the smaller the f-stop value, the larger the aperture. This means a f/2.0 aperture is larger than a f/3.8 aperture. On most smartphones, this value is often fixed though certain phones allow you to adjust this value through certain software algorithm like we have on Huawei honor 6 Plus . This is one of the values some OEMs will never emphasize on.

Camera Lens

The quality of the lens used on a smartphone camera matters a lot. The technology behind the camera matters and this is why some OEMs emphasize their cameras have Carl Zeiss lens.
Even if your device has a 16MP camera with a f-stop value of f/2.0, if the lens used is of poor quality, the produced image is bound to suffer for it.

Image Stabilization

While it’s impossible to have optical image stabilization on all smartphones for now, a lot of phones come with digital image stabilization but still, a lot of OEMs won’t include this and will only market huge megapixels.
What does this do? When shooting videos with your phone and your hand is a bit shaky, the presence of this image stabilization technology reduces the effect produced by your shaky hand.

Conclusion

As you can now see, the resolution allows the camera to capture as much details as possible but this isn’t everything that makes a camera awesome. When picking up your next smartphone for photography, you should consider the f-stop value and other factors that define a good camera.

Source: https://geek.ng/2015/10/this-is-why-an-8mp-camera-sometimes-beats-a-16mp-camera.html

12 Likes

Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by krak101(m): 3:51pm On Apr 09, 2016
Very educative. Well done OP

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 09, 2016
krak101:
Very educative. Well done OP
Thanks. credits to my source though.
cc: lalasticlala
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by enoch273: 3:56pm On Apr 09, 2016
Okay, but Nigerians still put the mumbers of the mega pixels above quality, lalastic pls do the lala.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by dulux07(m): 4:01pm On Apr 09, 2016
Wow! Nice write up op. Very educative. wink
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by cassidy1996(m): 4:03pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nice one, Most people just go about with phones, they dont really know much . They belive the higher the price, the better
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Nobody: 4:30pm On Apr 09, 2016
dulux07:
Wow! Nice write up op. Very educative. wink

thanks. thanks to my source too.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Nobody: 4:32pm On Apr 09, 2016
cassidy1996:
Nice one, Most people just go about with phones, they dont really know much . They belive the higher the price, the better

Too bad for them.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Darkseid(m): 4:35pm On Apr 09, 2016
I will be back to modify this comment when it gets to FP.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by joseph214(m): 5:07pm On Apr 09, 2016
U're referring to the S7
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by ndcide(m): 5:18pm On Apr 09, 2016
Is that why even old BB have better picture quality than most android?

Besides, it's the pixel that we can tell of at the shop. We can't determine other things you wrote.

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by SporaD8: 5:20pm On Apr 09, 2016
Am loving this! I still don't know why thread like these are relegated to the back page. Lalasticlala Nl need this information especially the Pix-or-I-don't-believe crew!
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Shittaakeem(m): 5:32pm On Apr 09, 2016
This is why I keep telling those tecno fanboys to stop comparing the boomj8 to iPhone 6

4 Likes

Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nice one op.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 09, 2016
Not all though but nyc post.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by tkatechy(m): 5:43pm On Apr 09, 2016
WOOOWW NICE ONE OP
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by chanx: 5:58pm On Apr 09, 2016
Following. Nice one OP.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Rapsowdee01(m): 6:01pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nokia's 8mp camera is far better than that nonsense infinix 16mp
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by snadguy007(m): 6:15pm On Apr 09, 2016
Too much grammar

1 Like

Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Kingy10: 6:28pm On Apr 09, 2016
forget how e happen, infinix dey lie on top camera
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by lalasticlala(m): 6:35pm On Apr 09, 2016
SporaD8:
Am loving this!
I still don't know why thread like these are relegated to the back page.
Lalasticlala Nl need this
information especially the Pix-or-I-don't-believe crew!

But no pix naa
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by darocha1: 6:41pm On Apr 09, 2016
This na korect informate
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 09, 2016
Super-educative.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Danfuster(m): 7:06pm On Apr 09, 2016
This is why I would never trade my M8 for anything, one of the fastest camera on the market. Best part of the camera is the manual mode and it takes better shot at night, Better than the iPhone6+... And it's just 4MP better known as "ultrapixel"
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Dygeasy(m): 7:33pm On Apr 09, 2016
lalasticlala:

But no pix naa
Still waiting on you Sir.

Thank you.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by adextetoo(m): 7:50pm On Apr 09, 2016
Post different pictures snapped by both 8MP and 16MP
Don't forget to include pictures of moving objects and far landscape focus
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 09, 2016
ndcide:
Is that why even old BB have better picture quality than most android?

Besides, it's the pixel that we can tell of at the shop. We can't determine other things you wrote.

If the phone contains other things I wrote, the manufacturers will proudly list it as one of thier selling points. They'll try to make it obvious.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Temihatz(m): 8:15pm On Apr 09, 2016
Very Educative. Thank you OP.
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by OCTAVO: 8:23pm On Apr 09, 2016
Nice info!
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by JonSnow(m): 8:29pm On Apr 09, 2016
Danfuster:
This is why I would never trade my M8 for anything, one of the fastest camera on the market. Best part of the camera is the manual mode and it takes better shot at night, Better than the iPhone6+... And it's just 4MP better known as "ultrapixel"

Don't be silly. undecided
Re: This Is Why An 8MP Camera Sometimes Beats A 16MP Camera by Danfuster(m): 8:35pm On Apr 09, 2016
JonSnow:

Don't be silly. undecided

not kidding...Maybe you need to visit xda forum

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just When I Thought I've Seen It All - A Transparent Samsung Galaxy S9 / MTN Data Borrow By Force / Infinix HOT 5 Review - The Best Budget Smartphone In Nigeria? (feat.) HOT 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.