Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,237 members, 7,811,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

8 US Universities Compete To Admit Outstanding Nigerian Girl - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 US Universities Compete To Admit Outstanding Nigerian Girl (514 Views)

Lagos School Refused To Admit Our Maid Because She Is Not An Indigene, Man Cries / LASU Announces Screening Exercise. To Admit Only First Choice Candidates / 18-year-old Uwade Helen Akhere, Gets Scholarship From 11 US Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 US Universities Compete To Admit Outstanding Nigerian Girl by Newsbreakers: 6:57pm On Apr 09, 2016
A student of Nigerian descent from New York’s Elmont Memorial High School has been accepted at all eight Ivy League universities.

Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna has a list of options to choose from among the prestigious northeastern universities. The daughter of Nigerian immigrants also can choose from Johns Hopkins University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New York University, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

The 17-year-old valedictorian with a 101.64 weighted grade-point average shares her thoughts 'My recent accomplishments reflect the hardworking ideals of the town of Elmont, my supportive parents, and my dedicated teachers. I am elated but most importantly I am thankful.'

'My family is so excited. Sometimes I feel like they get so much more excited than me. They literally screamed. When I called my mom and told her, she was screaming on the phone.'

'Though I was born here in America, I visited Nigeria many times. And I’ve seen that my cousins don’t have the same opportunities that I have. So definitely, whatever I do, I want to make sure that it has an impact on Nigeria.

Augusta credits her success to her teachers, perseverance and her parents who taught her the importance of education.

She further reveals, 'I’ve struggled with numerous classes in the past. But I guess what allowed me to be successful, ultimately, in those classes, at the end, is my persistence and my tenacity.

'I’m still quite unsure what school I’m going to attend, but I know attending any of them will be such a great honour. But for now, it’s just so amazing. I really can’t believe it still.'

Augusta loves science, and she was a finalist in an Intel competition for her research project on a cement that could prevent underwater oil rigs from rupturing.

Michelle Flannory, Augusta’s research adviser said, 'She knows that you have to work. Is she naturally talented? Yes, but she definitely pursues excellence.

She has to make her final decision in less than a month. I’m still quite unsure what school I’m going to attend, but I know attending any of them will be such a great honor. But for now, it’s just so amazing. I really can’t believe it, still.'
Re: 8 US Universities Compete To Admit Outstanding Nigerian Girl by jonili(m): 6:58pm On Apr 09, 2016
just here to book space
Re: 8 US Universities Compete To Admit Outstanding Nigerian Girl by rheether(f): 7:48pm On Apr 09, 2016
I just checked the name and I am proud. Were are the name checkers association? Come and see oooo the lost tribe of Israel has done it again oooo.
Re: 8 US Universities Compete To Admit Outstanding Nigerian Girl by Cholls(m): 8:59pm On Apr 09, 2016
rheether:
I just checked the name and I am proud. Were are the name checkers association? Come and see oooo the lost tribe of Israel has done it again oooo.
Re: 8 US Universities Compete To Admit Outstanding Nigerian Girl by Fxwarrior: 6:16am On Apr 10, 2016
Good. Let her choose Massachussets Institute of Technology then. She seems interested in science and Technology.

Keep making us proud girl. Go for diamond!

(1) (Reply)

UNIPORT Undergraduate Killed Was A First Class Student - Colleagues / Admission Into Universities In Ghana / Careers In Anatomy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.