Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis (1845 Views)

Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / Nigeria Universities and Polytechnics In Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 10:48am On Apr 10, 2016
Recently, the society has been fed with a misconception that not only attempts to celebrate mediocrity but doubles as a plot to propagate hypocrisy. The widespread notion that private universities are well equipped whereas government owned ones are an eyesore is a wicked concoction for which there exists no iota of truth. It's just the assumptions of some internet privileged critics.
"Heey! I pay for what I get! Education is expensive, if otherwise, can you justify the whooping tuition fees of ivy league universities" or "I school in a facility-endowed environment with several state of the art materials, so, understanding how I perform so well shouldn't be rocket science" constitute the defensive lines of students of private universities or her advocates. However, I've always questioned myself what these group of people refer to as "Facilities". Facilities that haven't been so useful to churn out graduates who would proffer intelligent solutions to our economic problems? Or ones that haven't been used to devise technological gadgets and spacecrafts? What is the use of a "well-equipped" Institution with poor local and international representation? Even if I've not been so lucky to fly a plane to the United States, YouTube has been quite handy to watch several videos of students of foreign well equipped schools displaying the products of the facilities provided. With these facilities, I've never come across a group project of these self-acclaimed "well-equipped" Nigerian private universities that competes with international ones. Then, I want the definition of education if it defies the product oriented mantra.

Another sickening comparison is that of the students of both school type. It's no news the best of students in high schools oftentimes proceed to government owned universities. Denying this is purely a biased act. We do know the private University option has for long being a return choice for the utme-unfortunate. (Although, not in all cases). As harsh as this sounds, it at least for now remains the truth. Why then do we make a biased comparison of their products?Private Universities have been grossly under represented in various interuniversity quiz Contests. Their counterparts from the underfunded universities often beat them flawlessly. Essay competition prizes are often clinched by government university students ... Have we forgotten the Zain Africa challenge? Government owned universities alumni have set a record of championing the course of representing the nation individually in the diaspora vis-à-vis postgraduate studies. The question then is: "where are the products of this well equipped institutions"?
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man remains the king. Quite unfortunate, but, we have to agree those at the front burner in the international scene and the frontiers of education aren't products of private universities but those of some Poorly funded lot.

Finally, the educational facilities in public schools aren't as bad as depicted by some people,(At least, in the Nigerian context) and lots of these public universities are more equipped than the private ones. If we are to go by the definition of facilities; those provided by world-class standard universities, then, Private universities aren't anywhere close to being equipped.
Source: Composed by ReverseEngineer.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 10:49am On Apr 10, 2016
Cc: Lalasticlala Fynestboi Mynd44
Please, help move to front page for a wider audience.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 10, 2016
Please, let this matter die a natural death. You nairalanders enjoy over-beating issues.

By the way, post the YouTube videos you mentioned. I'm interested to see what foreign trained students think up.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by gossipatrol(f): 12:39pm On Apr 10, 2016
And am yet to see a law school first class graduate from a private university.

If you have seen any, quote me with the link tongue
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 1:39pm On Apr 10, 2016
gossipatrol:
And am yet to see a law school first class graduate from a private university.

If you have seen any, quote me with the link tongue
Quite true ..
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 1:40pm On Apr 10, 2016
charix:
Please, let this matter die a natural death. You nairalanders enjoy over-beating issues.

By the way, post the YouTube videos you mentioned. I'm interested to see what foreign trained students think up.
Google is always the answer.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 5:32pm On Apr 10, 2016
Tobishills12, come and see ooo... It's BYT..
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 5:35pm On Apr 10, 2016
Lalasticlala, ishilove, mynd44, don't you guys also think the same? I know Lala attended Covenant. grin
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Donnetimmy(m): 5:59pm On Apr 10, 2016
Nice one bro
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by DrayZee: 7:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
Where is the "analysis" ?
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 8:32pm On Apr 10, 2016
DrayZee:
Where is the "analysis" ?

In between the lines.. I bet you couldn't find it because you jumped pass.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by DrayZee: 9:34pm On Apr 10, 2016
ReverseEngineer:
In between the lines.. I bet you couldn't find it because you jumped pass.
I read everything. You just believe that people in private schools either do not have any special infrastructure which should make them do better than those in public, or they are not making good use of their facilities in creation of better technology. You basically came here to run down the private institutions. You did not make an in-depth analysis from pre-sourced information gathered from actual public and private institutions.
The truth is that privates have access to modern technology. Usually in public institutions (most of which are >30 years), the facilties available are the ones which were placed as at the time of it's creation. Thus, outdated facilites are found in public institutions. When the need for modern tech arises, publics may not be able to properly key into and make use of such tech.
Public institutions usually have students far greater than the preposed capacity. Thus, majority of the students will not be able to recieve lectures properly.
Cultism, theft, poor hostel facilties, inadequate number of hostels, and other conditions are factors faced by publics which privates do not face.
So why should anyone stand up and question the academic ability of a person just because he/she did not study in a public (outdated) university?
Please, leave students to study where they please. It's what they bring to society that counts. If they can cope in public, fine. If they do well in private, fine. It's what they do with their knowlege that matters. Don't downgrade other institutions because of hatred for which no reason exists.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by DrayZee: 9:53pm On Apr 10, 2016
Besides the points above^^^
What I have seen from your post is:
1. You feel anyone who graduates from a private university is a mediocre.
2. You feel no private university graduate has ever done anything useful to the society.
3. You, in general, detest the existence of private universities. Like you want everyone to be in public institutions.
4. You have no idea about the set-up of most private universities. Varsities like Bells, Covenant, Babcock and the likes have adequate international relations.
5. You consistently compare private universities to World class ones, but you don't even attempt doing that to public institutions.

In general, this your write-up is biased against private institutions, probably from some destabilising personal experience or just in an attempt to defend your Alma Mata (I presume you have one).
I suggest you rid yourself of unnecessary hatred towards private institutions, and make an informed research. Visit private institutions,(these in particular: Babcock, Bells, Covenant, all in Ondo state) check out their infrastructure and compare them to their public counterparts. I trust you will make such a research unbiased and come to a reasonable conclusion. You may find them equal(i use that term loosely) if not superior.
Nevertheless not all public instituitions suffer from such frivolities. There acute examples of what a public institution should be like,e.g. The University of Illorin.

Goodluck on your research. ✌

1 Like

Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 10:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
DrayZee:

I read everything. You just believe that people in private schools either do not have any special infrastructure which should make them do better than those in public, or they are not making good use of their facilities in creation of better technology. You basically came here to run down the private institutions. You did not make an in-depth analysis from pre-sourced information gathered from actual public and private institutions.
The truth is that privates have access to modeen technology. Usually in public institutions (most of which are >30 years), the facilties available are the ones which were placed as at the time of it's creation. Thus, outdated facilites are found in public institutions. When the need for modern tech arises, publics may not be able to properly key into and make use of such tech.
Public institutions usually have students far greater than the preposed capacity. Thus, majority of the students will not be able to recieve lectures properly.
Cultism, theft, poor hostel facilties, inadequate number of hostels, and other conditions are factors faced by publics which privates do not face.
So why should anyone stand up and question the academic ability of a person just because he/she did not study in a public (outdated) university?
Please, leave students to study where they please. It's what they bring to society that counts. If they can cipe in public, fine. If they do well in private, fine. It's what they do with their knowlege that matters. Don't downgrade other institutions because of hatred for which no reason exists.

Firstly, I like to rule out the point of hatred from the discussion. I'm doing fine for myself and it's rather pitiable that an attempt to expose the truth is always classified as hatred.

Furthermore, the whole point of your writeup depicts you hardly understood the message being conveyed because at one point you stated the obvious and towards the end you converged at the main focus of my writeup. I know you hurriedly read the post. Take your time this time to read it. Comprehension is not as difficult as we think.

You highlighted the need to study in well funded schools and eventually returned to my point which is centered around the products of both school types. The question is: HOW WELL ARE STUDENTS OF PRIVATELY OWNED VARSITIES REPRESENTING THEIR SCHOOLS BOTH LOCALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY? My writeup succinctly answered this poser.

The fallacy that private universities are well equipped has to stop. It's sheer mediocrity. I can tell you they are even less equipped than public Schools. Would you compare the Medical program of Unilorin to that of CU (If any)? Or UCH to Babcock's? Severally, we've even seen these schools come to the so called Ill equipped schools to lend some apparatus when some of their programs are to be accredited. These "Outdated" schools produce students who shine internationally at quizzes while the "up-to-date" ones are beaten flawlessly by the former. Concerning how equipped they are, tell that to Iranians who have no idea how things are done here.

Finally, I needn't quote sources for my writeup ... I made use of analogical deductions. It is then left to you to debunk my analogies with valid points. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 11, 2016
ReverseEngineer:

Firstly, I like to rule out the point of hatred from the discussion. I'm doing fine for myself and it's rather pitiable that an attempt to expose the truth is always classified as hatred.

Furthermore, the whole point of your writeup depicts you hardly understood the message being conveyed because at one point you stated the obvious and towards the end you converged at the main focus of my writeup. I know you hurriedly read the post. Take your time this time to read it. Comprehension is not as difficult as we think.

You highlighted the need to study in well funded schools and eventually returned to my point which is centered around the products of both school types. The question is: HOW WELL ARE STUDENTS OF PRIVATELY OWNED VARSITIES REPRESENTING THEIR SCHOOLS BOTH LOCALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY? My writeup succinctly answered this poser.

The fallacy that private universities are well equipped has to stop. It's sheer mediocrity. I can tell you they are even less equipped than public Schools. Would you compare the Medical program of Unilorin to that of CU (If any)? Or UCH to Babcock's? Severally, we've even seen these schools come to the so called Ill equipped schools to lend some apparatus when some of their programs are to be accredited. These "Outdated" schools produce students who shine internationally at quizzes while the "up-to-date" ones are beaten flawlessly by the former. Concerning how equipped they are, tell that to Iranians who have no idea how things are done here.

Finally, I needn't quote sources for my writeup ... I made use of analogical deductions. It is then left to you to debunk my analogies with valid points. Thanks.
dude dont come here with bragging rights. if u want to make an informed comparism and not a comparism u cooked up in ur room without facts, u need to visit the private schools u avin beef/issues with, take photographs, and then take photographs of d facilities in the public institution of ur choice. its at that point u can make an educated guess. its not by running ur mouth based on assumptions which arent backed by facts.

And by the way, ur write up doesnt justify the topic, i cant c any analysis here other than hate comments. is that how u guys were taught to analyse things? u didnt identify properties of A and properties of B, u didnt highlight any similarities or differences and u put up a thread claming an analysis? Spits!!!
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 9:31am On Apr 11, 2016
prettyboi1989:

dude dont come here with bragging rights. if u want to make an informed comparism and not a comparism u cooked up in ur room without facts, u need to visit the private schools u avin beef/issues with, take photographs, and then take photographs of d facilities in the public institution of ur choice. its at that point u can make an educated guess. its not by running ur mouth based on assumptions which arent backed by facts.

And by the way, ur write up doesnt justify the topic, i cant c any analysis here other than hate comments. is that how u guys were taught to analyse things? u didnt identify properties of A and properties of B, u didnt highlight any similarities or differences and u put up a thread claming an analysis? Spits!!!
I didn't give properties of A and B using comparisons? If you find no analysis, then it's either you're dyslexic, disgustingly biased or need an Ultra high power lens.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Nobody: 9:54am On Apr 11, 2016
ReverseEngineer:
I didn't give properties of A and B using comparisons? If you find no analysis, then it's either you're dyslexic, disgustingly biased or need an Ultra high power lens.
ohh is that ow u were brought up to be insultive and disrespecful, i believe u can c a big difference between u n i. ooops i can feel the hate vibe coming from u. guess u pained cos there are many coming up with reasonable arguments to support private sculs. wat properties of private unis did u give, u said they dnt rep internationally? m sure everything u know abt anything u get from the papers and internet. y dnt u come to the private school u want to knw more about n do ut digging physically to get concrete evidence rather dan making myopic statements here. besides ur bone of contention here is d facilities, u dint mention visitn any private school n assessing the facilites they av n comparing it with what u av in any public scul of ur choice. bt alas, u are jst a forum member whu has neither the means nor the ability to gather such facts.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 10:02am On Apr 11, 2016
prettyboi1989:

ohh is that ow u were brought up to be insultive and disrespecful, i believe u can c a big difference between u n i. ooops i can feel the hate vibe coming from u. guess u pained cos there are many coming up with reasonable arguments to support private sculs. wat properties of private unis did u give, u said they dnt rep internationally? m sure everything u know abt anything u get from the papers and internet. y dnt u come to the private school u want to knw more about n do ut digging physically to get concrete evidence rather dan making myopic statements here. besides ur bone of contention here is d facilities, u dint mention visitn any private school n assessing the facilites they av n comparing it with what u av in any public scul of ur choice. bt alas, u are jst a forum member whu has neither the means nor the ability to gather such facts.
I wanted to grant the opportunity of engaging in a tête-a-tete with you, alas, I discovered it would be inherently unproductive to school someone who can't put down simple sentences.
Hate? A student of Caltech, MIT or Stanford? You're a mediocre and I don't associate with mediocrity. Now, please swerve!
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 11, 2016
ReverseEngineer:
I wanted to grant the opportunity of engaging in a tête-a-tete with you, alas, I discovered it would be inherently unproductive to school someone who can't put down simple sentences.
Hate? A student of Caltech, MIT or Stanford? You're a mediocre and I don't associate with mediocrity. Now, please swerve!
hahahaha, u jst cant refute anything i said, the best u cud come up with in ur head is insult. i wonder wat oda insults u av up dere in ur skull. av seen that many a time on nairaland, once dey got no fact to lay or no point to make, they switch to childish tools of insults. if u think u are matured and not the type that uses insults to communicate y dnt u respond maturely to my earlier stated post. bt i knw, u will come up with anoda insult cos thats d best u can offer.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by ReverseEngineer: 11:13am On Apr 11, 2016
prettyboi1989:

hahahaha, u jst cant refute anything i said, the best u cud come up with in ur head is insult. i wonder wat oda insults u av up dere in ur skull. av seen that many a time on nairaland, once dey got no fact to lay or no point to make, they switch to childish tools of insults. if u think u are matured and not the type that uses insults to communicate y dnt u respond maturely to my earlier stated post. bt i knw, u will come up with anoda insult cos thats d best u can offer.

Insult, according to a 27 year old nairalander is succinctly put as:

"The state of mind by which by direct or indirect means, a party eschews to educate another because of his/her low level of intelligence and inability to construct a simple sentence".

I'm not surprised, that's what you get when you get a 163 Utme score then get absorbed by a private university. You'll become a problem of national concern. How worse can it get?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Nobody: 11:58am On Apr 11, 2016
your sense is not common you are really intelligent, the op really tried in this write up
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 11, 2016
ReverseEngineer:

"The state of mind by which by direct or indirect means, a party eschews to educate another because of his/her low level of intelligence and inability to construct a simple sentence".

I'm not surprised, that's what you get when you get a 163 Utme score then get absorbed by a private university. You'll become a problem of national concern. How worse can it get?
u are the one dat will bcom a problem of national concern. since u cant reason with maturity theres no nid to do same with u. i can c d negativity that revolves around u. oh please categorically state where and when a student with 163 jamb score got absorbed into a private university. jst say u cant afford d fees and we'll understand ur plight rather than hating on private scul peeps for no obvious reason. u hating here if u or any of ur siblings were offered admission with scholarship to study at any private university in nigeria ull gladly jump at it. thats the reality of u people hating on private universities. once they cant afford somfin they start givin reasons why that thing is useless. its mostly the less dan averages of public universities that go on this meaningless rant against private unis. dnt forget to state where a 163jamb candidate got absorbd in2 a private uni cheers.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 11, 2016
ReverseEngineer:

m sure its a child behind that phone, so in ur process of educating people u tell them dey av low intelligence? u call them mediocres? u say dey are a problem for national concern? it only shows what u are. u are not a person of gud reputation neither are u som1 with gud manners nor sound reasoning. oh yes yes this is the only place where u can throw out ur anger and the pains u are feeling, cos i knw u are nothing in the real world. so keep up with the derogatory comments cos i knw dats d best of u.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by Nobody: 5:42am On Apr 12, 2016
A pity, such a pity. OP wrote up many 'facts' but rather than defend them with proof is quick to jump to insults. Wanted to contribute intelligently to this over-beaten issue but I'm all the wiser completely avoiding it.
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by brainstorm21(m): 8:04pm On Sep 22, 2019
Guys, you are totally right! It is the truth of our time. Some people think that if they pay money (or they will pay more than in a state university) they will achieve success or will be more intelligent. It can be also explained by the wish of people to be the coolest ones. Personally, I learn in a simple trade school. However, before I finally chosen the school I studied a lot of information about trade schools on https://www.onlytradeschools.com/louisiana/ and there I found an useful information about what kind of university will be better for me. So, after I finished education I started working in a company of trading with some people from private universities. Frankly speaking, they are not better than others or smarter. Sometimes they make stupid mistakes and the boss ask them about where they studied. I advise everyone to be rational in a such a topic, because university doesn't make a person to become the specialist, but the motivation and wish of that person is well appreciated for becoming "Somebody".
Re: Private Universities And Their Facilities: An Analysis by goodspeed963(m): 10:14am On Sep 23, 2019
brainstorm21:
Guys, you are totally right! It is the truth of our time. Some people think that if they pay money (or they will pay more than in a state university) they will achieve success or will be more intelligent. It can be also explained by the wish of people to be the coolest ones. Personally, I learn in a simple trade school. However, before I finally chosen the school I studied a lot of information about trade schools on https://www.onlytradeschools.com/louisiana/ and there I found an useful information about what kind of university will be better for me. So, after I finished education I started working in a company of trading with some people from private universities. Frankly speaking, they are not better than others or smarter. Sometimes they make stupid mistakes and the boss ask them about where they studied. I advise everyone to be rational in a such a topic, because university doesn't make a person to become the specialist, but the motivation and wish of that person is well appreciated for becoming "Somebody".

yeah, as for me I felt the effect of trade school when I became more successful than my friends that come to University

(1) (Reply)

Latest Update About Jobs And Board Exams / Top 6 Facts Every New Student Of Unn Must Bear In Mind / How To Clear Your Borrowed Debt On Mtn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.