Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,465 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? (4983 Views)

RCCG To Feed 2 Million Nigerians Every Sunday - Pastor Adeboye / Oyedepo: "A Member Flew In From Germany To Canaanland For Every Sunday Service" / 5 Types Of Church Members you come across every sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? by innocent82: 1:39pm On Apr 10, 2016
I Keep wondering why most churches in nigeria doesnt celebrate or obey the international mother's day which was celebrated 6th march, 2016 in the United Kingdom and will be celebrated 8th May, 2016 in the United States of America. However, the international known date is 2nd Sunday of May. The funny thing is that i have recieved more than five invites to attend Mother's day celebration in different churches. This is really confusing thats why i had to ask google the question: When is Mother's day? And i decided to share.

More @

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/common/mother-day
Re: Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? by Dandeson1(m): 1:44pm On Apr 10, 2016
. if I tell you the problem wey this evry Sunday mothering Sunday/mothers day for different church don' cause btw me and my mother you nor go believe, this mothers day is now a problem to national security, I call on EFCC, all corruption fighting agency to look into dis matter, before ee turn full problem

1 Like

Re: Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? by taiwokyle(m): 2:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
Our mothers worth being celebrated everyday
Re: Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? by innocent82: 2:15pm On Apr 10, 2016
My mother's church celebrates mother's day on Saturday (full day), each mother in the church must do their thanksgiving seperately shocked
Re: Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? by LordIsaac(m): 7:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
Abeg help me ask them...a practice hinged on deep hypocrisy, illiteracy, ignorance and...kai...well!

1 Like

Re: Is Mother's Day Every Sunday In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Apr 10, 2016
Mothering Sunday originated in the UK and is a Christian Festival, whilst Mother’s day in the States was originally started by Julia Ward Howe in 1872 as part of her peace campaigning and pioneering for woman’s rights.

In the USA, Mother’s day was popularised by Ana Jarvis who campaigned to have the day recognised following her own
mother’s death. Her campaigning was so successful that in 1914, President Woodrow made Mother’s Day into National Holiday to be held each year on the 2nd Sunday of May.

Mothering Sunday in the UK is a Christian festival. Each year
it always falls on the fourth Sunday in Lent and by tradition
it was a day when children gave presents, flowers and cards
to their mothers. Mothering Sunday has been celebrated in
the UK since at least the 16th century.
Mothering Sunday was also known as Mid-Lent Sunday or
Refreshment, because in the old days Sunday when boys
were apprenticed from about ten years old and many girls
went into service from about the same age, they were
allowed a day off to go home and share a meal with their
family. Mothering Sunday falls in the middle of Lent and so
the fasting rules were relaxed (some say in honour of the
Feeding of the Five Thousand - a story from the Bible).

Although Mothering Sunday in the UK is regarded as the
equivalent of Mother’s day in the USA, it falls on a different
day every year depending on when Lent starts.
This year mothering Sunday was held March 6th and was celebrated by Anglicans, Presbyterians and some other protestants. Mother's day will be held by other protestants on May 8th 2016. The following dates are mother's day for 2017 and 2018 respectively 14 May Sunday and 13 May Sunday

While that of Anglicans 26th March 2017 and 11th March 2018. That of USA is what most protestant follow especially in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Did Adam And Eve Exist? / Nudity In The House Of God, I Can’t Believe This / Holy Month Of Ramadan - Quotes; Tips; Advise;

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.