Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Psychology Of Kokomansion - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Psychology Of Kokomansion (878 Views)

Statistical Significance Definition In Psychology / Bolanle Okhiria Of The Kokomansion Fame Speaks On Her Radio Gig, Hairdo + Mohits / Kokomansion Fever(dbanj Search For His Kokolet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Psychology Of Kokomansion by hellyjay: 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2009
Psychology of Kokomansion

D’Banj has been denying any form of skirt-hunting in his Kokomansion show where he’s been warehousing a bevy of desperate ‘kokolettes’ who must either taste the D’Banj carrot or his celebrity status or both.

Well, it’s a free country. But denial, a form of maladjustment, is another piece of evidence to convince all his fans and diligent observers he’s got a whole lot of smut to cover.

I’m neither a fan of his – nor any of his chattering colleagues. Call them artistes if you like. But I’m a dutiful observer of anything Nigerian that comes under my radar. His harmonica piqued my interest when he first came on the scene in the late 90s. Likewise his articulation – unlike that braggart called Baale and a band of others who think they sing hiphop but speak is and was. Even those of them that speak English like a house on fire – Faze, Banky, Olu Maintain and MI – have lost their genius. They are either twisting Rihana’s Umbrella or featuring their mothers sanctifying their unholy albums, or just spouting gibberish. Others could be aping 50 Cents, Tupac and Shaggy.

Maybe I sound like a nihilist. I’m not. But I’ll be caught dead listening to any of them when I can always soak in Prophet Fela Anikulapo and his pot-inspired musings. Plus those vintage croons of Uwaifo, Olaiya, Roy Chicago, and so on.

Well. D Banj struck me, from his Why Me, Mo Bo Lowo Won, Oloun Ma Je etc., as paranoid and maladjusted. No hatred, please. He imagines he has legions of enemies; he always feels persecuted in spite of his Channels O, AMMA, and HIP-HOP World awards; he feels insecure. And again, like the late Wacko Jacko – I’m sure nobody called him toad when he was drooling on his mouth organ – D Banj has low self esteem because he thinks he doesn’t have much for his female fans to ogle. He feels he is ugly: Some people say I no fine. He might have even been secretly comparing his face with Soul E’s and Banky’s – the handsomest hip-hop faces in Nigeria . That’s why he needs to get appreciation, by suasion or extortion, especially from his female fans, to meet his self esteem need, as Abraham Maslow posits.

And the only way to convince himself he’s every lady’s man, a hunk, and a macho guy is by trumpeting his sexcapades – his highly demanded ‘kokomycine’, his randiness.

Couldn’t that drive – that self esteem need – have inspired a Kokomansion – a show involving a celebrity obsessed with his imagined ugly face now made the only knight in shining armour, and planted in a harem of ladies of diverse height, colour, thickness, curves and arcs, all scheming to seduce, solicit, charm, and possibly rape just one player?
Doesn’t that look like somebody who has the means and might is using a reality show to massage his erotic ego – to compensate for his ugly nose?

Psychologists have noted that mal-adjusted people have different modes of compensating for their needs. Some could be outrageous. Some could be tolerable. It’s very like D’Banj – smart, pro-active, and capitalistic – to have chosen the milder option.

Rather than go for plastic surgery, like MJ, to remould his supposedly ugly face, he’s chosen a subtle mode – harping on his own sexiness, screened by those Abacha’s goggles, and simulating an orgiastic nest feathered by some corporate hawks. There could have been no better rutting season for the Kokomaster!

Tunde Zubair, owner of HiTv, official medium of Kokomansion, once said the reality show is meant to project the African woman to the outside world. But to gauge the pulse of African women by manipulating a handful with fame and fortune so they can unleash their coquetry to cool the raging hormones of a sex neurotic is unscientific and, maybe, unfair. The Hawthorne effect – that the subjects could influence the result of an experiment – will definitely trivialise the reality of Kokomansion.

Besides, casting African women in this pristine, polygamous mould in which a wagon-load of women must readily lose themselves in the world of a single man portrays Africa as backward in this century.

The Kokomaster should be true to himself first, as Shakespeare advised. He should admit his insatiable need to balance his looks with his anticipated and social selves ; his need to convince his female fans he can earn their kisses and hugs in spite of his warts and all.

Though D’banj might not elope with any of the Kokolettes in the mansion, ultimately, he can be sure of gathering loads of lustful emotions and titillating sights that will inspire an hour-long album fully spiced with heroics and gutter language. That’s more money for Mo’Hits and D’banj.

For the Nigerian women – no pity. The thousands participating directly or indirectly are doing so by choice. It is just natural, as free moral agents, if they chose to be turned to fetishes needed to inflame the lust of a man struggling, secretly, with low self esteem.

Sigmud Freud should be stirring in his grave now. Kokomansion is again validating his psycho-sexual theory that all that man – say D’banj – thinks about is his libido even when he pretends to be doing the most altruistic thing, like showcasing the virtues of the African woman.

In the long run, Kokomansion will be proud of certain achievements. It will reveal to the whole wide world how Nigerian women desire to be herded, to be stereotyped, and seduced using hip-hop standards and gifts. The unrealistic show will also translate into greater possibilities for pimps, woman traffickers, and drug barons, especially as the economic meltdown lasts. And Nigeria should be better for it.
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by haduwa(f): 6:12pm On Aug 01, 2009
grin VERY VERY FUNNY,
Really a friend of mine from london told me about this, i prsently dnt stay in nija but atimes i watch it on you-tube,
have seen it 3ce and dnt think its worth it thou,
But cant say if thats is real motive,
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 01, 2009
men no dey ugly @ poster. Even if they are, that's never prevented any of them from getting gorgeous women.

The show is like Flavor Flav's own. If you know what I'm talking about, Flavor is also ugly but he makes a habit of dating very beautiful women.

He dated Sylvester Stallone's ex-wife for a while. The girls on Flavor of Love were likewise very stunning and were all knocking each other out over him.
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by bootycall(f): 12:31am On Aug 02, 2009
Am indifferent abt the show.
Re: Psychology Of Kokomansion by KayDoc: 1:07pm On Aug 05, 2009
LOL, for me it's a good concept but its not well packaged. I kip wondering how the gals were picked and why all they do is eat, dance, sleep, drink and do some lousy tasks. Am sure the next edition will be beta if and only if they can note the feedback from people. @ Poster, let's appreciate our stars and encourage them to get beta, wld av appreciated it more if your criticism was constructive. Anyways, I reali wish them well and can't wait to see Naija Entertainment Industry in the best shape. L8r pple

(1) (Reply)

Demi Moore @ 47 / I Am Going Into Torch Manufacturing - Zakky Azzay / Becoming A Nollywood Star

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.