Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,489 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

My Degree Is Not In IT – How To Get An IT Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Degree Is Not In IT – How To Get An IT Job (616 Views)

Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada / Which One To To Go For After My Degree / Why I Dropped My Degree To Become A Taxi Driver - Abuja-based Female Taxi Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Degree Is Not In IT – How To Get An IT Job by AkumahTalk(m): 9:11am On Apr 11, 2016
You don’t have to feel like an impostor. So your University degree is not in IT (or IT related) and you’re wondering how to get an IT job. Someone asked this question a few days ago. Here’s the full question:

I graduated with a degree in Chemistry, but I want to go into IT professionally. Do you think I can get an entry-level IT job given my non-IT background? I’m currently running an IT certification program in NIIT. Although it cost me a lot of money; I’m really enjoying my new experience. I see myself growing rapidly in this field. The only thing that scares me is my Chemistry degree. Do you think I stand a chance to break into the IT industry?”

Coincidentally, once upon a time, I worked in NIIT as a Cisco networking trainer. A lot of our trainees were not always Computer Science majors. In other words, most of them came from a non-IT academic background. So this question on how to get an IT job is not new to me.

I’ve had to answer this kind of “how to get an IT job” type questions countless times. In fact, I get asked this same question at least once a month on average. Most times it’s from non IT staff at some of my clients’ sites. Usually, my presence means there’s a problem that needs fixing. So I come in casually, fix the problem, sign my paper work, chat a little and leave. To them, I’m like “Gandalf” (the all knowing) in the movie “Lord of the Rings”. They see me working with a big smile on my face, full of joy, laid back, always chatty and they think “this guy must have the coolest job in the world”. Truth be told, I love my job.

Not everyone with a degree in IT will pursue a career in IT

I have a first degree in Computer Science and I can remember back in my University days; my class was huge. Of course not everyone succeeded in graduating. But still, the school churned out a decent number. Today (9 years later), only a small fraction is considered to be practicing (IT professionals) in the industry. A lot of them I know have branched off to different fields. Some are professional bankers now; others are into furniture, Politics, Marketing etc. Hell! I saw one (who happens to be a close friend) on “Tinsels” (a popular TV program here in Nigeria) the other day. Apparently, he’s acting now.

So where do all IT professionals come from?

Evidently, we come from different backgrounds; including non-technical backgrounds. There’s no industry that is characterized by disruptive and radical changes like the technology industry. Some may argue that the Health/Medical industry is also experiencing revolutionary changes; but that has only been achieved through the use of technology. So we can see that technology is also a catalyst that drives innovation in other industries. A career in IT demands a life-time of learning new things. I’ve always likened this field to a bus that moves through a city. Everyone is welcome to join the bus at any time from any place and stay on it as long as they want. Old technology is old; you have to learn the new stuff in order to stay relevant. That’s the advantage for new comers, irrespective of your background; you can leapfrog into what is currently trending and ride that wave. All you need is passion, confidence, resilience and an inquisitive mind.

Quit Yapping Josh! Just answer the da.mn question…

Having a degree in Chemistry or any other non-IT degree is not a disadvantage. Rather, it only requires that you have to put in more effort to sell yourself; given the competition out there. Yea, I know you feel my statement is contradictory. Let’s look at it this way; it’s very difficult to get an entry-level IT job with a degree fresh out of the University and no experience whatsoever; whether it’s an IT or non-IT degree. With that being said, a fresh graduate would have to go out of his/her way to get additional training and experience.

This can be acquired through internships or volunteering to work in an IT function in a school, church or small business. Also, would-be IT professionals can get training on specific technologies so as to acquire certifications as proof of competency and to complement their University degrees.

If you see your degree as a limitation; it will become a limitation. This is because, if or when you’re invited for an interview; your interviewer will most likely demand to know why you branched off. Do not feel disadvantaged, confidently give your reasons. If he or she is convinced, this will separate you from the pack. We all get rejected at some point; including yours truly. I can’t count how many times I was turned down until I got my first job. Eventually, your efforts will pay off. The good thing is that, once you get in; it’s easy to move on from there. If you choose to move to a new job role; it’ll now be your experience that counts and not necessarily your degree.

How to get an IT job without a degree in IT

If you’ve read through this post and you’re in a similar situation as described in the above question. I’d highly recommend that you read my post on “Start a career in IT – How to begin” http://www.techbusiness101.com/start-a-career-in-it/. It details a proven 3 step approach to successfully break into the industry; specifically for individuals with a non-IT degree.

Source: http://www.techbusiness101.com/how-to-get-an-it-job/

(1) (Reply)

Get Out Of Poverty / Training - Fundamentals Of Documents, Records And Archive Management / Forklift Operators At Erisco Foods Limited, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.