Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

10 Things You Must Know As A First Time Mom - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Things You Must Know As A First Time Mom (3631 Views)

10 Things Only Men With Pregnant Wives Understand (Pictures) / Excited Mom Rolls On The Floor As Son Returns To Enugu After 5 Years In The US / "I Was Shocked When I Got To My Husband's House The First Time" - Lady Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Must Know As A First Time Mom by Twinkie8: 10:35am On Apr 12, 2016
Breastfeeding isn't easy in the first few days of life: Your baby will fuss and cry a lot because he is not latching properly. If you have a kitchen stool, sit on it, a chair that has firm back and bum rest, sit on it to breastfeed. Avoid sitting on cushions and your soft bed to nurse. Sit and hold the baby like shown on the image above. If your baby has a great appetite and can suck for hours "Foodious baby" try changing positions to avoid back ache. You can start with Cradle hold, then change to cross-cradle hold, lying on your side to breastfeed or doing the laid back method. These are the best breastfeeding methods taught at antenatal and post natal clinics. When you lie by your side to breastfeed, ensure that you do not fall asleep o. Your newborn can choke on the freshly loaded boobies. If you wake up at night to feed and still feeling sleepy, try your best to sit.

ALSO READ: How to give bath to new born baby
You need some new mom breastfeeding essentials like breast pads to keep the loaded milk from soiling your clothes, ask for either disposable or washable breast pads at the baby items shop. There's so much in the disposable packs that you may not exhaust all before your breast milk stops leaking. Remember that stale milk has an odour and as you breast feed, deodorants are very essential. If you must use anti perspirant in your armpits, let them be mild, not the ones with strong fragrances as the baby's nose is always close to the armpits while breastfeeding.
Personal hygiene is very important so you don't begin to suspect that the house is smelling or food is sour when it's you that's oozing. Bathing twice a day is a must o. Please remain shaven so that some nyama-nyama things will not get stuck in the "under forest". Sometimes, the nurses clean you up and shave everything down there during delivery, maintain the habit, it's a good habit. Abeg o,dear mom, don't let the shrub grow back as you nurse, keep it neat and tidy. If you bathe with medicated soaps, the pregnancy dark spots and areas appear to disappear and clean up faster than when you bathe with toilet soaps. Use good medicated soaps and bathe with sea salts. Sea salts worked wonders on my skin, I scrub some soap on the sponge, pour in some salt before scrubbing my skin and it just has a way of cleansing even dark spots that have been on my ankles and knuckles for donkey years. Not the salt we use in cooking pepper soup o, sea salt is different, not for cooking.
You'll have some challenges with excessive farting (passing gas), please eat less milk and sugar), sweating a whole lot at this time especially if you gave birth in the dry season or harmattan. Ensure that you change your bra at least once daily. Do not repeat the bra you used yesterday unless you want to start smelling like rotten fish. Even with breast pads on, sometimes milk still touches or drops on the bra, please change them daily. You don't need to own a ton of bras to change daily, even with just two bras, one can change daily if it's not rainy season. New moms wash daily so, while one bra is being washed, the other one is worn and washed the following day. It's best to wash your bras and under pants with detergents than with bar soaps, soak for at least 30 minutes before washing undies and remember to rinse with plenty of clean water or rinse twice sef.
This fifth point, hmmmm, I can't type here without mentioning it oh. My first girl suffered a lot with cold, we were always going to see the Doctor and giving different medications while continuously exposing her to cold with daily long baths. If the weather is not hot, bathing a baby daily is not necessary. With my other kids, I became wiser and started to observe the weather. If the mornings and evenings are very cold, bathe at noon and that's it. Your baby doesn't do any work yet, is neither a mechanic nor an engineer, just needs to be kept clean and warm. Sometimes just wiping without putting baby in water is enough. Never do the "baby must bathe twice a day" thing if the weather feels cold. If omugwo mummy says that's how you were taken care of, tell her to please postpone the bath to the following day. If your baby is coughing off and on and off and on, sometimes it could be cold from regular bathing in cold weather, watch it. If we had winter in Nigeria, will you dare bathe baby twice daily in December? This doesn't mean that we leave our new babies hot. Over covering and lack of ventilation too are not good, open the windows wide, let air in, the baby needs fresh air and in dry season, turn on the fan, air the room moderately, the fan should blow low or moderately, not high please. Leaving the baby hot can cause skin rash. I haven't mentioned Air conditioners because I nor get yet oh. I nor know which AC temperature is ok for a new born. I use fans in my house for now until God takes me from glory to glory next level, if you use AC, let the temperature not go below say 18 degrees, I hope I'm right sha.
If you have the time, choose breastfeeding over formula. Be baby friendly, even though I breastfed exclusively with just my first alone. The others didn't suck only breast mil because that my first show me shege, she refused to take solid food after the baby friendly ended. Formula isn't bad, but if you are fine and you are spending sometime home with the baby before resuming work, breastfeed as much as possible before introducing formula but again, one thing about introducing formula late is that your baby might reject it.
Be watchful and cordon the bay off with pillows even if you have to leave for a moment. You never know when they start rolling and this leads to accidents. At all times, ensure the baby has pillows blocking him by the sides, front and back, if your baby is in the cot, make sure it's latched properly. Don't let that first fall happen before you learn.You think she cannot move, she'll give no notice about when the first rolling and tossing will start.
You are a mother now, love yourself. Don't compare yourself with other moms o, our bodies are not the same, it was easier for my stomach to bounce back to flat with my first, second and third than with the fourth girl. This is your third or second, that's her first and you have been there tay tay. Stop being a self critic, you'll be fine. Just don't eat too much of pounded yam and eba, starch, plantain, fufu, semovita. If you can make corn fufu, great because corn has very low calorie content. Some women don't have that type of stomach that bounces back immediately, it takes a while so, be patient and do not be too hard on yourself. Your old clothes might not fit immediately after birth, get a few bigger sizes to use at this time as even boobs are heavier and bigger than normal.
Source : http://www.wivestownhallconnection.com/2016/04/10-things-you-must-do-as-first-time-mom.html

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Must Know As A First Time Mom by jill28: 2:04pm On Apr 14, 2016
Twinkie8:
Breastfeeding isn't easy in the first few days of life: Your baby will fuss and cry a lot because he is not latching properly. If you have a kitchen stool, sit on it, a chair that has firm back and bum rest, sit on it to breastfeed. Avoid sitting on cushions and your soft bed to nurse. Sit and hold the baby like shown on the image above. If your baby has a great appetite and can suck for hours "Foodious baby" try changing positions to avoid back ache. You can start with Cradle hold, then change to cross-cradle hold, lying on your side to breastfeed or doing the laid back method. These are the best breastfeeding methods taught at antenatal and post natal clinics. When you lie by your side to breastfeed, ensure that you do not fall asleep o. Your newborn can choke on the freshly loaded boobies. If you wake up at night to feed and still feeling sleepy, try your best to sit.

ALSO READ: How to give bath to new born baby
You need some new mom breastfeeding essentials like breast pads to keep the loaded milk from soiling your clothes, ask for either disposable or washable breast pads at the baby items shop. There's so much in the disposable packs that you may not exhaust all before your breast milk stops leaking. Remember that stale milk has an odour and as you breast feed, deodorants are very essential. If you must use anti perspirant in your armpits, let them be mild, not the ones with strong fragrances as the baby's nose is always close to the armpits while breastfeeding.
Personal hygiene is very important so you don't begin to suspect that the house is smelling or food is sour when it's you that's oozing. Bathing twice a day is a must o. Please remain shaven so that some nyama-nyama things will not get stuck in the "under forest". Sometimes, the nurses clean you up and shave everything down there during delivery, maintain the habit, it's a good habit. Abeg o,dear mom, don't let the shrub grow back as you nurse, keep it neat and tidy. If you bathe with medicated soaps, the pregnancy dark spots and areas appear to disappear and clean up faster than when you bathe with toilet soaps. Use good medicated soaps and bathe with sea salts. Sea salts worked wonders on my skin, I scrub some soap on the sponge, pour in some salt before scrubbing my skin and it just has a way of cleansing even dark spots that have been on my ankles and knuckles for donkey years. Not the salt we use in cooking pepper soup o, sea salt is different, not for cooking.
You'll have some challenges with excessive farting (passing gas), please eat less milk and sugar), sweating a whole lot at this time especially if you gave birth in the dry season or harmattan. Ensure that you change your bra at least once daily. Do not repeat the bra you used yesterday unless you want to start smelling like rotten fish. Even with breast pads on, sometimes milk still touches or drops on the bra, please change them daily. You don't need to own a ton of bras to change daily, even with just two bras, one can change daily if it's not rainy season. New moms wash daily so, while one bra is being washed, the other one is worn and washed the following day. It's best to wash your bras and under pants with detergents than with bar soaps, soak for at least 30 minutes before washing undies and remember to rinse with plenty of clean water or rinse twice sef.
This fifth point, hmmmm, I can't type here without mentioning it oh. My first girl suffered a lot with cold, we were always going to see the Doctor and giving different medications while continuously exposing her to cold with daily long baths. If the weather is not hot, bathing a baby daily is not necessary. With my other kids, I became wiser and started to observe the weather. If the mornings and evenings are very cold, bathe at noon and that's it. Your baby doesn't do any work yet, is neither a mechanic nor an engineer, just needs to be kept clean and warm. Sometimes just wiping without putting baby in water is enough. Never do the "baby must bathe twice a day" thing if the weather feels cold. If omugwo mummy says that's how you were taken care of, tell her to please postpone the bath to the following day. If your baby is coughing off and on and off and on, sometimes it could be cold from regular bathing in cold weather, watch it. If we had winter in Nigeria, will you dare bathe baby twice daily in December? This doesn't mean that we leave our new babies hot. Over covering and lack of ventilation too are not good, open the windows wide, let air in, the baby needs fresh air and in dry season, turn on the fan, air the room moderately, the fan should blow low or moderately, not high please. Leaving the baby hot can cause skin rash. I haven't mentioned Air conditioners because I nor get yet oh. I nor know which AC temperature is ok for a new born. I use fans in my house for now until God takes me from glory to glory next level, if you use AC, let the temperature not go below say 18 degrees, I hope I'm right sha.
If you have the time, choose breastfeeding over formula. Be baby friendly, even though I breastfed exclusively with just my first alone. The others didn't suck only breast mil because that my first show me shege, she refused to take solid food after the baby friendly ended. Formula isn't bad, but if you are fine and you are spending sometime home with the baby before resuming work, breastfeed as much as possible before introducing formula but again, one thing about introducing formula late is that your baby might reject it.
Be watchful and cordon the bay off with pillows even if you have to leave for a moment. You never know when they start rolling and this leads to accidents. At all times, ensure the baby has pillows blocking him by the sides, front and back, if your baby is in the cot, make sure it's latched properly. Don't let that first fall happen before you learn.You think she cannot move, she'll give no notice about when the first rolling and tossing will start.
You are a mother now, love yourself. Don't compare yourself with other moms o, our bodies are not the same, it was easier for my stomach to bounce back to flat with my first, second and third than with the fourth girl. This is your third or second, that's her first and you have been there tay tay. Stop being a self critic, you'll be fine. Just don't eat too much of pounded yam and eba, starch, plantain, fufu, semovita. If you can make corn fufu, great because corn has very low calorie content. Some women don't have that type of stomach that bounces back immediately, it takes a while so, be patient and do not be too hard on yourself. Your old clothes might not fit immediately after birth, get a few bigger sizes to use at this time as even boobs are heavier and bigger than normal.
Source : http://www.wivestownhallconnection.com/2016/04/10-things-you-must-do-as-first-time-mom.html
Re: 10 Things You Must Know As A First Time Mom by tagroinvestment: 1:57am On Jun 15, 2016
SPECIFICATION DONKEY HIDES & FEATURES : - Product: Wet Salted donkey hides Complete Single piece with Head , Ears, Legs , Tail and Limbs . - Machine Flayed 100% - Minimum Average weight limit without salt and washing water residual: 7 kg - Average size: 12 to 15 sq.ft. - Water content: less than 15% - Washing water content: 0.00 % - Hair Length :2~4 mm - Impurity: No sand , No dust, No mud ,No foreign object, no fats and no meat - Not available: No hair slip problem, No rotten Hides, No fats and meat on the Hides,No mule - No Holes, No Cuts, No Reheated, - Minimum Average weight Limit: 7 Kg minimum before Salt Application. - Salt Applied: Edible Salt. - Seller will weigh every hide before salting & after salting & will prepare weighing list as per weight of every hides. - Seller undertakes to provide Donkey Hides of higher Weights Average than the min red mark of 7kg/hide. -Sand : non and clean from any other dust or mud.

FOR MORE INFO
EMAIL: tagroinvestmentsltd (at) gmail (dot) com

Re: 10 Things You Must Know As A First Time Mom by Omowunmi22: 9:46am On Dec 01, 2018
Nice

(1) (Reply)

Subscribe To Iroko Mobile And Get Data Free Download / Reasons Why A Firstborn Cannot Marry Another Firstborn / See Hilarious Comments On Social Media As Price Noodles Drops From 18500 To14k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.