Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult (38568 Views)

Bridge At Ojota, Lagos Has No Rails. Death Trap For Students & Passersby (Pics) / PHOTOS: Newly Built Pedestrian Bridge In Ojota, Lagos / States Groan Under Debt Bondage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by lovely17(m): 4:14pm On Apr 12, 2016
looool better use the bridge I was just released KAI locked me for two Hours inside that their green van wasn't funny. mehn uncle came through though.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by kayti(m): 4:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lastma,Kai and NPF we need something like this at Second rainbow to Alaba express bus stop there is a pedestrian bridge there unutilized.please help .
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by effty(m): 4:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
Re u a zebra? Na joke I dey oh
mutiply:
Most drivers don't know about the zebra crossing sign, many drivers in lagos don't even give preference to learners, they are always in a hurry.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Ghost447(m): 4:36pm On Apr 12, 2016
Na wa for "Centre of Excellence". Everything and everywhere there seems to be chaotic.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by femi4: 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenonze:
We are not used to doing the right thing.

Its better late than late.

That's not the issue, the bridge need expansion. It should be wide like the one in Anthony

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by kevoh(m): 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2016
The fact is, Lagos is OVERCROWDED. How can you take one hour to cross a bridge?
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Totfulguy: 5:22pm On Apr 12, 2016
DONSMITH123:
Some pedestrians on Tuesday called for ease in using the Ojota overhead foot-bridge in Lagos state, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

The pedestrians complained as they got stranded while trying to cross the overhead foot-bridge by surging and uncontrollable users.

A NAN correspondent, who was at the bus stop at about 7am, reports that many people from both sides of the road were trying to cross the bridge at the same time.

NAN observed that majority of the crowd are those crossing from Ogudu axis to take public bus to stadium or Lagos Island areas.

Police men and bouncers were also seen on both sides of the expressway, including the centre, preventing people from crossing the available way.

When the crowd became uncontrollable, large number of them moved to the expressway, while the bouncers stopped upcoming vehicles for them to cross to Ikeja side of the road.

Some of the pedestrians who spoke to NAN expressed sadness over the time spent trying to cross the bridge without an alternative route.

Mr Idika Mbonu, a trader at Yaba market, told NAN that he came to the bus stop from Ogudu end of Ojota at about 6.45am stranded.

Mbonu stressed that as of 7.32am he was yet to cross the bridge that was less than five minutes walk.

Mbonu said, “This crowd of pedestrians is unprecedented in the history of crossing Ojota Bridge. When I came here, I thought something else had happened with the mammoth crowd.

“I was trying to find my way to the bridge, yet the crowd going and coming through the bridge was scary. At a time, the entrance was blocked as no one could go through.

“I saw police and bouncers on the road preventing people from crossing the expressway; I have to be patient before I could cross.”

Ms Esther James, a student of Yaba College of Science and Technology, who was there for some time said the crowd at the bridge was unacceptable, stressing the need for a wider bridge that could accommodate a large number of people at the same time.

“We have called on the Lagos State Government to build a new bridge that can accommodate the physically challenged, pregnant women, load carriers and the elderly.

“The government is trying to enforce the use of the bridge, which is okay, but look at the crowd today. This bridge was not meant for this crowd,” said Mrs Evelyn Dagodoro, a civil servant.

http://www.punchng.com/lagosians-groan-as-using-ojota-foot-bridge-becomes-difficult/

They had better used that bridge. How many people have died of using that bridge compared to the risk of getting crushed trying to cross the expressway?
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by kenny987(f): 5:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
naptu2:

Your suggestion makes sense, but I think the reason that people are opposed to it is because of the crazy drivers we have here.

I'll give you an example. There are zebra crossings and speed bumps before the two roundabouts at either end of the Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge. A sane person would slow down in order to safely go over the speed bump, give way to pedestrians on the zebra crossing and go round the roundabout. Unfortunately there are very few sane people in Lagos. I see quite a lot drivers accelerate as they approach the speed bumps, in order to demonstrate that their car is capable of jumping over the bumps. Sometimes it seems as if their intention is to kill any pedestrian they see on the zebra crossing and unfortunately there have been too many Saturday mornings that I've seen cars that have plunged into the roundabout or smashed into the wall beside the roundabout because they've been trying to go round at full speed.

I think this is why some people are opposed to your suggestion.

Well, I can understand perfectly and again, I do not live in Lagos though I have heard a lot about the insanity on the roads...Guess I'm just concerned about unavoidable and undeserved hardship meted out on Nigerian citizens.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by jordyspices: 5:50pm On Apr 12, 2016
Op. Are dey buying fuel dere
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Koladelampard: 6:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
Please what sense are you trying to make abeg
OrlandoOwoh:
One of my worries when Fashola started constructing footbridges that have roofs and other modern facilities is that it makes them attractive to beggers and other physically-challenged people that sit comfortably in them to beg. The population in Ojota is not as the one in Oshodi, yet you don't notice "hold-ups" on the footbridges in Oshodi that don't have roofs. This is the same thing in the "open roof" footbridge in Ikeja Along.

When the Ojoto old footbridge, made with steel without roof was still in use, even when people were forced to use it, it didn't witness "go slow" like this.

The beggers and physically-challenged people on those bridges, who no use wheelchairs to sell goods should be prevented from gaining access to them.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by amtaken(f): 7:03pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lagos welcome to your change please.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by brojoshua: 7:15pm On Apr 12, 2016
Government needs to build more of the overhead pedestrian bridges there that people may have enough
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 12, 2016
mutiply:
schooling them is the right option. The point i was trying to make is that there too many drivers out there who know little about driving.

Point noted!
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Greenback: 8:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
Mumurians..whatever happened to zebra crossing? Later they will blame ss and se senators..
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Dapsin2901: 8:39pm On Apr 12, 2016
If you try to cross na 2k so think it before you cross
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Dujardin(m): 10:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenny987:
Since the bridge is narrow and was not envisaged to handle this much crowd at the time of construction, the Lagos State govt may want to consider a zebra crossing sign painted on the road with traffic lights to regulate the movement of vehicles and pedestrians around the area. At least until a more suitable alternative is found rather than make people pass through unnecessary hardship.

Zebra crossing for 9ja? haha u want to use our life to wewu! Ma je ki wan fi aye wa sofo!
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by SURElee(f): 11:14pm On Apr 12, 2016
kenny987:
Since the bridge is narrow and was not envisaged to handle this much crowd at the time of construction, the Lagos State govt may want to consider a zebra crossing sign painted on the road with traffic lights to regulate the movement of vehicles and pedestrians around the area. At least until a more suitable alternative is found rather than make people pass through unnecessary hardship.

Zebra sign ke? Sister, wait, just wait till lagos driver ask you. Whether you be zebra(laffs). Even when they are supposed to stop for you standing on the zebra marks, na clear dem go wan clear you commot from road. The bridge is still the safest to me abeg
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Nobody: 11:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
Everything is collapsing dis days in Lag.....U guys shud be careful with that bridge o
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by lebete3000: 3:15am On Apr 13, 2016
mutiply:
Most drivers don't know about the zebra crossing sign, many drivers in lagos don't even give preference to learners, they are always in a hurry.

Can't you see Zebra-crossing?

Are you a Zebra?
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by cardoctor(m): 7:05am On Apr 13, 2016
Hard to believe but true. We still require 250 more years to catch up with modern civilisation.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by tsdarkside(m): 8:29am On Apr 13, 2016
then build it bigger....we just need to adjust the present one more bigger...build it more bigger...

we have a population of 180million....

we have to build 5x bigger...

one thing is good though....the people are using it...

less deaths...

leave the streets to the automobilits...

we urgently need to learn crowd-control...
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by Odogwucharles: 8:36am On Apr 13, 2016
Using the foot bridge is a good initiative but our government don't think, if it to steal money they know how to strategize. Why can't the government start the construction of another bridge.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by eyinjuege: 8:47am On Apr 13, 2016
It's a rush hour for goodness sake, so it's to be expected.

I'm also sure it doesn't happen like that everyday, but because of the fuel scarcity with a lot of people now being forced to use public transport and legedeez benz overcrowded bus statitions/stops are inevitable
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by eyinjuege: 8:49am On Apr 13, 2016
lebete3000:

Can't you see Zebra-crossing?

Are you a Zebra?

Zebra crossing over a major expressway doesn't really make sense.
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by sonyviao(m): 9:14am On Apr 13, 2016
hahahaha... cant believe this!!! the same ojota?!!! lols
Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by lastpage: 9:39am On Apr 13, 2016
kenonze:
We are not used to doing the right thing.

Its better late than late.

I think its because of the fuel scarcity!

Too many people are "legging it" about these days!
grin grin

Baba Buhari, no make me vex for you o, Build new refineries ASAP and deal with those NEPA people that divert funds meant for elelctrical infrastructures and do sabotage electricity supply.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Groan As Using Ojota Foot-bridge Becomes Difficult by lebete3000: 10:12am On Apr 13, 2016
eyinjuege:

Zebra crossing over a major expressway doesn't really make sense.
Abi oh....i really dunno where that is done...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Court Sacks Uche Secondus As PDP Member And National Chairman / Financial Times Newspaper Hails Tinubu As The Godfather Behind GEJ's Defeat(Pic) / Hausa, Fulani Flee Attacks From Taraba Militia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.