Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,557 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 (14918 Views)

What Can You Build On Your Land In The Lekki Axis? / Rights Of Landlords And Tenants In Nigeria (part 1) by ibejulekkilawyer / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 by Cribpark: 9:28am On Apr 13, 2016
So true as regards the artisans. As for the DIY, there are actually some DIY tasks like painting that we could easily do.

Chukazu:
the number 14. is so on point.
good artisans are gradually becoming extinct in Nigeria.

another point is that you start considering doing some DIY, when the cost keeps ballooning
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 by Buildertobadt: 10:48am On Apr 13, 2016
So does anyone here things we can overcome all or most of these building challenges in Nigeria?...Maybe soon or in the near future?
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 by Zetra(m): 11:50am On Apr 13, 2016
Cribpark:

[b]12. Losses Are Guaranteed

There is always that Mr. nobody who takes everything from the site. One day it is the wheel barrow, the next day it is 100 bags of cement that walked away, then to make it worse the wood planks which you used for foundation framework and had been planning to reuse for decking gets missing-in-action. You still can’t explain how the painter finished the 6 buckets of paint, or how two cartons of tiles went on French leave. Only the gods can tell you what happened and in most cases you just have to move on. Losses are bound to happen.

Even when you follow them to buy the materials, they will give the seller signs and top price for the materials , then go back after to collect the money .
so what I usually do is take the quotation by my self to get it, and 90x out of 100 I save 50%, so if the remaining once disappear I will not be at a loss at both end.

there are truthful ones(they tell me before they take anything)
why are many artisans not truthful when writing quotations.
Eg PVC 4" socket pipe - 500/1 x 10 = 5000, labour 2000

you go and price it by yourself it's 300/1 x 10 = 3000(the artisans just cornered 2000 extra plus d remains gum, and pipe fittings he will put in his bag just because you trust him and no chance for you to supervise)
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 by kindworld(m): 2:27pm On Apr 13, 2016
Raydos:

Bro Abeg Sell That FTC For Me For 1yuan - You No Say We No Dey Use Naira Again In 9ja Nah Yuan We Dey Use Now

No bros, I go build house for this FTC.
Thanks
Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 by olumyde5(m): 5:24pm On Apr 13, 2016
nice job OP u got me laughing all through the points are very true

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 by Jidbel(m): 7:19pm On Apr 13, 2016
This na serious matter ooh!..Loools.Cool stuff. Well done OP

1 Like

Re: 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 by Buildertobadt: 12:33pm On Apr 14, 2016
These comments really show that many people here can relate with all these issues. We still have a long way to go in getting our building processes and regulations right. May God help us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top Lies Told By Real Estate Agents / A Nairalander's Ceiling Designs / Two Children Die In Lagos Building Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.