Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) (1152 Views)

Bisi Akande Embarrassed Us With His Comments On Buhari, 2019 - Southwest APC Gov / How Tinubu’s Wife, Remi, Publicly Embarrassed Ondo Governor At Colloquium / APC Embarrassed After This Video Leaked Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Pheals(f): 7:39pm On Apr 12, 2016
have you ever been embarrassed abroad for being a Nigerian ? it happens to us all so let share our experience but first let me share that of the celebrities

It once happen to Bukola Elemide ( Popular known as ASA ) doing her music video "the one that never comes " live on stage and she gave a nice reply saying " [color=#99]because I'm from Nigeria it doesn't mean ,I should always answer questions about poverty. ........ [/color] " and she ended up saying " until you come to my shoes and I give you my green passport Nigeria, then you will know what's up "

Same thing happened to kcee ( the Limpopo master,)

When he was asked about chibok girls. ...read his experience below :

Kcee said the airport cab driver who took him to his hotel room in New York, upon realizing he was Nigerian, quizzed him about the Chibok girls. The cab driver asked him if they had been found and he was so embarrassed that he had nothing to say, Daily Sun reports. He said the same thing also happened when he went to Los Angeles.

Kcee said: “Again it happened in Los Angeles when another cab man asked me the same question. Can you imagine a cab man saying that? It was very embarrassing and I realised that whether we like it or not, where ever we find ourselves in the world, we must defend the image of our country but we have to start from the very source of this problems.”

Here comes my pater experience when he traveled to India, he was asked " so you are a Nigerian sir, can I ask why Nigerians killed themselves in the northern part of the country? " (he became mute )

Same also happen to my cousin,he WAs been delayed for hours at u.s airport for being a Nigerian

And Mr President said "Some Nigerians' claim is that life is too difficult back home," he was quoted as telling the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"But they have also made it difficult for Europeans and Americans to accept them because of the number of Nigerians in prisons around the world accused of drug trafficking or human trafficking," he said.

This is a contrast to some other Nigerian politicians, who often argue that their countrymen are unfairly victimised in foreign countries.

"I don't think Nigerians have anybody to blame. They can remain at home, where their services are required to rebuild the country," Buhari was quoted as saying.

Share yours Nairalanders
Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by mbah2x(m): 7:51pm On Apr 12, 2016
op should we way never travel coment?
Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Pheals(f): 8:04pm On Apr 12, 2016
mbah2x:
op should we way never travel coment?

if someone as told u his /her experience u can share it

Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by olatade(m): 8:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
#MyNetherlandExperience

Recently I got my very first taste of what it meant to be black and worst off a Nigerian just as I hit Frankfort.

Let me start well though, at least with the things that impressed me; the airline @FlyLufthansa. This is a self sponsored trip so I'm not going to come here and lie to you that I could afford a business class or first class ticket. You wont get any of those fake stories here. I am going to tell you as it is so you can have the honest picture of things. I could only afford economy but on Lufthansa, that could have as well been business class on some other airline

The seats had good leg room, (satisfactory for my very long legs lol). The in-flight entertainment, superb and though the food was a bit bland in taste for my spicy African palate, it was well presented and the crew was as professional as can be, smiling and refilling cups. I don't know what the higher class got but it was really good in my economy class.

Sadly the great experience ended immediately I hit Frankfort airport.

First at the security check, I was the only black person on the queue and that immediately warranted me a more thorough search. I was the only one asked to remove my shoes, checked into a cubicle and body searched by a male police officer (this is after I had had the general security check). Somehow I didn't feel so demeaned, I knew being Nigerian had become a really bad thing abroad, almost as bad as being a terrorist.

Frankfurt airport is so damn big and could have been confusing if I weren't observant. In fact got lost a couple of times but always found my way back. I got into an elevator with a guy who I later discovered was Nigerian. We got in with some white girls and they refused to even look at us. They giggled among themselves and still wudnt look at us. At one point one even shifted so sharply when the Nigerian guy accidentally touched her an of course they literally raced off as the elevator door opened.

I had never experienced that before. This really is my first up-in-your face experience of racial discrimination. I was so appalled I think it affected me cos I spoke to no one again till I made it to my gate. When a white man seated saw me approaching to sit, he placed his jacket on the seat so I wudnt sit. Didn't care much though. I later realised this gate was for passengers proceeding to Hamburg.

Found my gate and it turned out the Nigerian guy I met at the elevator was also going to Amsterdam. When I told him what I observed, he laughed and told me that was so little compared to what black people really face in Europe when it comes to discrimination.

Well we boarded a more crowded and more Nigerian styled "little-legroom" A319 flight to Amsterdam.

At schiphol, I still had the Frankfort experience in me so spoke to no one. But I quickly realized I was the only one "boning" cos these people were shockingly pleasant. At Burger King, when I went for food (superb chicken wings and onion rings) the Young male attendant was so nice, I was pleasantly surprised. The taxi driver was talkative and so damn friendly. From then on was pretty pleasant

Thoughts

It's too early for conclusions but I can tell people in Netherlands are definitely nicer than Germans.

If racism is so thick in Europe why do we Nigerians so hurry to leave and be treated so poorly here.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Pheals(f): 10:20pm On Apr 12, 2016
olatade:
#MyNetherlandExperience

Recently I got my very first taste of what it meant to be black and worst off a Nigerian just as I hit Frankfort.

Let me start well though, at least with the things that impressed me; the airline @FlyLufthansa. This is a self sponsored trip so I'm not going to come here and lie to you that I could afford a business class or first class ticket. You wont get any of those fake stories here. I am going to tell you as it is so you can have the honest picture of things. I could only afford economy but on Lufthansa, that could have as well been business class on some other airline

The seats had good leg room, (satisfactory for my very long legs lol). The in-flight entertainment, superb and though the food was a bit bland in taste for my spicy African palate, it was well presented and the crew was as professional as can be, smiling and refilling cups. I don't know what the higher class got but it was really good in my economy class.

First at the security check, I was the only black person on the queue and that immediately warranted me a more thorough search. I was the only one asked to remove my shoes, checked into a cubicle and body searched by a male police officer (this is after I had had the general security check). Somehow I didn't feel so demeaned, I knew being Nigerian had become a really bad thing abroad, almost as bad as being a terrorist.

Frankfurt airport is so damn big and could have been confusing if I weren't observant. In fact got lost a couple of times but always found my way back. I got into an elevator with a guy who I later discovered was Nigerian. We got in with some white girls and they refused to even look at us. They giggled among themselves and still wudnt look at us. At one point one even shifted so sharply when the Nigerian guy accidentally touched her an of course they literally raced off as the elevator door opened.

I had never experienced that before. This really is my first up-in-your face experience of racial discrimination. I was so appalled I think it affected me cos I spoke to no one again till I made it to my gate. When a white man seated saw me approaching to sit, he placed his jacket on the seat so I wudnt sit. Didn't care much though. I later realised this gate was for passengers proceeding to Hamburg.

Found my gate and it turned out the Nigerian guy I met at the elevator was also going to Amsterdam. When I told him what I observed, he laughed and told me that was so little compared to what black people really face in Europe when it comes to discrimination.

Well we boarded a more crowded and more Nigerian styled "little-legroom" A319 flight to Amsterdam.

At schiphol, I still had the Frankfort experience in me so spoke to no one. But I quickly realized I was the only one "boning" cos these people were shockingly pleasant. At Burger King, when I went for food (superb chicken wings and onion rings) the Young male attendant was so nice, I was pleasantly surprised. The taxi driver was talkative and so damn friendly. From then on was pretty pleasant

Thoughts

It's too early for conclusions but I can tell people in Netherlands are definitely nicer than Germans.

If racism is so thick in Europe why do we Nigerians so hurry to leave and be treated so poorly here.

God could save us oone day

Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by franugo(m): 6:37am On Apr 13, 2016
olatade:
#MyNetherlandExperience

Thoughts

shey u were joking with dt ur last question u say ur trip was self paid, which prolly means dt u aren't there 4 schooling, so why did YOU leave naija then?
Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Histrings08(m): 6:51am On Apr 13, 2016
Over to our travellers
Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Cavenchy(m): 11:07am On Apr 15, 2016
Frankfurt, worst airport ever as far as racial profiling is concerned, like the guy above posted. Some many years ago, this rude old lady scanned and picked up my carry-on luggage, saw a half empty bottle of juice and requested me to finish it at the checkpoint or have it taken away. I simply told her, "I think you've missed the second unopened bottle in the bag as well, you can have both". She acted like she couldn't understand English properly and kept insisting on the half empty one she was holding. I knew she was skeptical about the one that was half empty because I was black, but at the same time she wanted me to keep the second bottle of juice in the bag (which was the same brand anyway) because that one was sealed. At this point, I had enough of her bickering, so I reached for the bag and pulled out the second one, gave it to her and told her have a nice day (Guten Tag in German). She took them and released the bag to me. But the look on her face was epic, lol. I have been to several airports and I know sometimes they let you pass with drink bottles, but this lady tried to act out the law simply because she thought being black means a harmless juice could become a weapon (juice I had bought in an airport on a connecting flight, I might add). Even though she didn't want to take the second sealed one, I let her have both of them and truly observe the whole of the law so she sees for herself what she really was. And her facial expression afterwards made me smile the rest of my journey.
Apart from that, everything else so far has been peachy cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by barbiesparkz2(f): 11:32am On Apr 15, 2016
Cavenchy:

I don't know how long ago your case was, but nowadays you are not allowed to carry drinks (liquids) on board, especially for international flights.

Mine was when I was at boarder control at Frankfurt and after I had passed the metal detector, one of the ladies said she was going to confiscate my shirt.

O boy! My head wan scatter.

Then she smiled and said "I like your shirt. May the force be with you." I was wearing a Star Wars: TFA shirt and the movie was just released around that time. Na im my BP mellow small. Smiled back and wished her same.

Sometimes, the racism we experience is first established in our minds.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Cavenchy(m): 11:36am On Apr 15, 2016
barbiesparkz2:

I don't know how long ago your case was, but nowadays you are not allowed to carry drinks on board, especially for international flights.

Sometimes, the racism we experience is first established in our minds.

I understand that, the law was that way even then, but the issue wasn't that she didn't permit it on board the aircraft. The fact is that she knew there was another sealed one in the bag but she was ready to let that get on board. So it wasn't really a matter of her following the law now. She didn't like the idea of a black man with a half empty bottle. Even so she could have easily stated the law rather than ask a passenger to consume it in front of her, it shows her suspicion was beyond the law. It's called Racial Profiling.

And might I add, not all liquids are not permitted, some airports have a transparent bag and you are asked to place all liquids in it.

Updated: You were still racially profiled, even if it ended with a smile.
Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Kyase(m): 11:42am On Apr 15, 2016
Yes that was in LA last week cool
Jennifer Lopez slapped me in public because it refused to kiss her. It was embarrassing..... embarassed
Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by barbiesparkz2(f): 12:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
Cavenchy:

I understand that, the law was that way even then, but the issue wasn't that she didn't permit it on board the aircraft. The fact is that she knew there was another sealed one in the bag but she was ready to let that get on board. So it wasn't really a matter of her following the law now. She didn't like the idea of a black man with a half empty bottle. Even so she could have easily stated the law rather than ask a passenger to consume it in front of her, it shows her suspicion was beyond the law. It's called Racial Profiling.

And might I add, not all liquids are not permitted, some airports have a transparent bag and you are asked to place all liquids in it.

Updated: You were still racially profiled, even if it ended with a smile .

LOL! @ bolded. If you say so.
I get your point, though I know they usually advice people to consume/discard their drinks before the scanner.

I think its mainly toothpaste & mouthwash / drinks below a certain capacity, that goes in the plastic bag.
Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Cavenchy(m): 12:36pm On Apr 15, 2016
barbiesparkz2:

LOL! @ bolded. If you say so.
I get your point, though I know they usually advice people to consume/discard their drinks before the scanner.

I think its mainly toothpaste & mouthwash / drinks below a certain capacity, that goes in the plastic bag.
Yeah I know that, but what about the other one she was trying to ignore in the bag? I'm not against her carrying out the law, but why ignore the sealed one in the bag? They were both in the bag and I forgot to discard them earlier, so I drew her attention to the other one so she could discard both according to the law, but she was on about just the half consumed one like she was expecting to see something dramatic happen. She was disappointed when I handed the other one to her.

As for the transparent plastic bag, I was referring to your comment about liquids (Thought you meant all liquids were not allowed) and just wanted to clarify that. I see you already have.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by mrsmith11(m): 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2016
Cavenchy:

Updated: You were still racially profiled, even if it ended with a smile.

I don't think you are 100% correct. She can allow the sealed one but for christ sake you already opened a liquid content which you have to finish or dispose. Does she knows if you have mixed the liquid with other prohibited substances
Please we should respect the rules

Back to the topic

The woman my sis work for in milan once asked her if we have fridge in africa (nigeria)

A lady once asked me if you do use tooth brush in nigeria and I said No...(so she can feel good)
Re: Have You Ever Been Embarrassed Abroad ( Share Your Experience) by Cavenchy(m): 12:54pm On Apr 15, 2016
mrsmith11:

I don't think you are 100% correct. She can allow the sealed one but for christ sake you already opened a liquid content which you have finished or dispose. Does she knows if you have mixed the liquid with other prohibited substances
Please we should respect the rules

Back to the topic

The woman my sis work for in milan once asked her if we have fridge in africa (nigeria)

A lady once asked me if you do use tooth brush in nigeria and I said No...(so she can feel good)

True, but there's something called Racial Profiling which might be a form of racism but different from your conventional idea of racial hate, because you don't have to be a racist to engage in racial profiling or stereotyping. She expected to see a black male putting up a scene in the airport. This was pretty simple. Follow the rules and tell the passenger both liquids can't make it past the check-point because even a sealed drink bottle could be just as dangerous. Her English didn't seem too good, so I initially took her ignorance of my drawing her attention to the second bottle as a language issue. Her disappointment when I eventually handed it over to her myself confirmed the fact she wasn't really out there to keep the rules but incite a black man into displaying characteristic traits she's used to for her amusement.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Visits The China Aerospace Science Tech Corp Centre (photos) / BREAKING: N9.7B Fraud: Ex-chief Of Air Staff Opts For Out Of Court Settlement / Thank God PMB Won The Presidential Election Over GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.