Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,788 members, 7,831,545 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

When To ACTUALLY Use "I" Vs. "Me" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When To ACTUALLY Use "I" Vs. "Me" (548 Views)

Common Errors In English. I Vs ME / How To Use " I " ( Advice Needed Pls) / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When To ACTUALLY Use "I" Vs. "Me" by edygistvilla(m): 9:05pm On Apr 12, 2016
In honor of the guy who incorrectly corrected me today, let's all improve our English skills a little bit.

It is common knowledge that when you are referring to yourself along with another person, you say something like "Sandra and I" instead of "Sandra and me". This is only sometimes correct! First let's talk about the more technical grammar stuff, and then I'll give you a simple rule to follow.

I is used as a subject in a sentence, and me is used as an object. Let's use a simple set of sentences as an example:

I saw you at the mall. (I am the subject, I did the seeing... so we use "I"wink
You saw me at the mall. (I am the object, I am the thing that was seen... so we use "me"wink

This does not change when you are referring to someone else along with yourself. If you are referring to yourself as a subject, you still use the word "I", and if you are referring to yourself as an object, you still use the word "me". So our examples become:

Sally and I saw you at the mall. (This one is obvious)
You saw Sally and me at the mall. (This one is where people make their mistakes. You are still referring to yourself as an object in the sentence, so you still use the word "me". Regardless of the fact that Sally is involved as well.)

And now here's the simple rule to follow : If you are referring to yourself along with someone else and don't know whether to use "I" or "me", change the sentence so that you are only referring to yourself. Whichever word you would use then is the correct word to use even when adding someone else in with you.

Examples:

Correct: You and I should go out. (I should go out)
Incorrect: You and me should go out. (Me should go out)
Correct: You should talk to Dave and me about that. (You should talk to me about that)
Incorrect: You should talk to Dave and I about that. (You should talk to I about that)

cc: lalasticlala
Re: When To ACTUALLY Use "I" Vs. "Me" by write2obi(m): 9:28pm On Apr 12, 2016
Very educative. Thanks Op
Re: When To ACTUALLY Use "I" Vs. "Me" by jopretty(f): 9:40pm On Apr 12, 2016
Thanks
Re: When To ACTUALLY Use "I" Vs. "Me" by pacretus(m): 10:03pm On Apr 12, 2016
hmm nice.what aunty is tryna say is this:
I is a subject and ME an object,so you become ME when u are affected by the verb in a sentence,E.g she SLAPPED ME.
You then become I when you or more persons carry out an action on another thing.

(1) (Reply)

We Are Sorting Things Out,as Strike Continues Said Imsu ASUU / N600b Solar Power For UNILORIN / Aftermath Of Friday The 13th Riot In Futminna, All Remedial Students Sent Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.