Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,322 members, 7,867,888 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 06:31 AM

Atm Palavar !!! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Atm Palavar !!! (364 Views)

Police And Soldier Clashed At ATM Machine In Damaturu / 6 Days To Christmas, ATM Queues Pile Up. / How 4 Lagos Based Nigerians Won N100k Each For Using Their Verve ATM Cards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Atm Palavar !!! by Eljay24(m): 10:11am On Apr 13, 2016
That i'm pissed off and stranded is an understatement. ..

I've been trying to use one of my Naira MasterCard on an ATM several times now and I've also tried out several ATMs in different locations and I've even tried it at my bank's branch but I still keep getting the same error which reads "Card not Smart".

Initially, I thought I was not placing the card in the right way i.e. with the memory chip facing upwards and forward but that didn't seem to be the problem. I again thought that my card has expired but it hasn't since it's going to expire in 2018. I've also tried my other cards as well on it and those ones worked except for this particular one.

It seems that this Naira MasterCard has probably gone past its lifespan and needs a replacement. If it was no longer useful, then it means I may have to get another one a second time, and this is a card that I've barely used for 1 year and for which I was charged by my bank.

I'm not yet totally sure what happened to my Naira Mastercard but it seems that somehow the memory chip on the card is no longer readable by the ATMs and so it ends up giving the error "Card not smart".
Looking back I don't remember placing the card on any electronics device,
putting it in my wallet sitting on it,
or well taking it swimming lipsrsealed
. .. like i told you it's the second time in two years so the customer care at my bank was sure to read me all the do's
and don't of keeping an ATM, and believe me i kept to all of em, i don't even take my Atm with me unless i really need to.

I don't know what could have caused my ATM card's memory chip to be destroyed that made it unreadable by the ATMs.
but it just seems to have worn out although I didn't see any visible signs of wear and tear on it.

I have another ATM card which I use more often but it's still working perfectly but this one that I rarely used just gave up the ghost. Are some ATM cards made with higher quality than others?

Do some banks prefer that customers just request for new cards before their existing ones reach their validity period?

I think Nigerian banks should produce smart cards that are can withstand wear or damage for as long as they remain valid e.g. 2 years.
I may now have to pay another 1000 to purchase another ATM
(i.e if the price is still the same, since the price of everything is changing these days).
I hope that one lasts for at least 1 years before getting damaged (i.e if I eventually agree to get another Atm)

. .. Contemplating closing the account sef (maybe I'd threaten them with that) angry

Right now i heading down to the bank to know if this is their new method of taking someone's hard earned cash, (well you might say 1000 naira is not much) but in this time of fuel scarcity, Heaven might just come down if they don't give me a good reason when I get to the bank.

cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Westgate Badagry Coconutoil For Sale(cold Press Available On Request) / Keep Your Head Up / How To Become Rich By Opening And Running Online Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.