Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke (19993 Views)

Comparing Developmental Projects Of Ogun State And Ebony State / 12 Things Buhari Govt Is Putting In Place To Revive Nigerian Economy - Adeosun / #2016Budget: FG Unveils 34 Priority Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by xynerise: 5:24pm On Apr 13, 2016
What about a case of Austerity measures?
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by santori: 5:24pm On Apr 13, 2016
chi4ik4:
prof do you really know that there is separation of power and checks and balances in Democratic system of government? Nass are just doing their job without altra-viance.....

oga, separation of power does not translate to one arm taking over the responsibilities of another. The legislative arm does not have the right to add projects to the budget. they can only appropriate funds to the projects the executives submits to them
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by Oche211(m): 5:26pm On Apr 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:
I make bold to say that the highly rated professor is emphatically wrong in this one.

Does it mean that NDDC is illegal since it was totally opposed by the Executive and made to exist by the courageous NASS that overturned Obasanjo's veto?

Democracy is a representative government and moreover, Buhari wasn't an independent candidate.
what are u even saying?
The prof. Is talking about 2016 BUDGET nd you are talking abt NDDC. How re they related?

1 Like

Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by SleekMallam: 5:27pm On Apr 13, 2016
wazobiaN9:

sleek doesn't mean lean and drained brain, does it??!
Let's ask buhari who could barely recollect his phone number?
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by santori: 5:28pm On Apr 13, 2016
xynerise:
What about a case of Austerity measures?

make una dey small nah before una go dey yarn akpata
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by Omeny: 5:30pm On Apr 13, 2016
gonzaga:
So Prof is still in Nigeria?
My Brother? The matter tire me too!
I guess their plans are in place and they all gone mute now!
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by ricsman(m): 5:35pm On Apr 13, 2016
malton:
undecided

Sometimes, you wonder how people who by their conduct belong in the class of 'agbero' end up in the hallowed chamber. How men in the vanguard end up bowing to rascals is something even Aryabhata cannot fathom!

To put verbatim in the words of Winston Churchill, these very lawmakers are " charlatans, rascals, ruffians and scalawags of every stripe you can think of".

Such beastly 'people'!
Quote from Bishop Kukah...."Nigeria educational
systems have surprising outcomes. The smartest
pass with First Class and get admissions to
Medical and Engineering schools. The 2nd class
students get MBAs and LLBs to manage the
First Class students. The 3rd Class students
enter Politics and rule both the 1st and 2nd
Class students. The Failures enter the
Underworld of crime and control the politicians
and the businesses. And, best of all, those who
did not attend school become prophets and
imams and everyone follows them...." What a
paradox and an irony of life! It can only happen
in Nigeria where corruption is the order of the
day...!! God have mercy on us in Nigeria.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by 4wrd9ja: 5:36pm On Apr 13, 2016
byrron:

He lost his voice on the suffering Nigerians are currently experiencing due to the FG's retrogresive economic policies but suddenly found his voice on lagos- calabar rail project debacle but also lost his voice on the budget when it was padded and later got missing by this same FG he is now singing for.

These are the types of statesmen and profs Nigeria is blessed with.
YOU also forgot to add his silence on the humanitarian crisis in agatu, he with femi falana are cash and carry and favour taking activist never objective, that's why obj called him a political illiterate, that his friends are never wrong he is presently aligned with buhari because of asiwaju connection so buhari cannot go wrong for now.

2 Likes

Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by sylvarian2002: 5:38pm On Apr 13, 2016
[quote author=LadyExcellency post=44660928]I make bold to say that the highly rated professor is emphatically wrong in this one.

Does it mean that NDDC is illegal since it was totally opposed by the Executive and made to exist by the courageous NASS that overturned Obasanjo's veto?

Democracy is a representative government and moreover, Buhari wasn't an independent candidate.[/you don't compare cock with goat...your analogy is out of place ]
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by tinsel: 5:40pm On Apr 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:
I make bold to say that the highly rated professor is emphatically wrong in this one.

Democracy is a representative government and moreover, Buhari wasn't an independent candidate.
My 10 years old son has a better brain

1 Like

Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by GworoChewinMaga: 5:40pm On Apr 13, 2016
From civil rights advocate to govt apologists.

Soyinka you are a monumental dissapointment.
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by naptu2: 5:42pm On Apr 13, 2016
naptu2:
This article was written by Wole Solanke. It was not written by Professor Wole Soyinka.
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by GworoChewinMaga: 5:45pm On Apr 13, 2016
4wrd9ja:
YOU also forgot to add his silence on the humanitarian crisis in agatu, he with femi falana are cash and carry and favour taking activist never objective, that's why obj called him a political illiterate, that his friends are never wrong he is presently aligned with buhari because of asiwaju connection so buhari cannot go wrong for now.

You must not forget that Soyinka feeds from Amaechi's hand.

The man is a disgrace. And as for that integrity challenged charlatan called Falana , I always knew he was nothing but a cheap skate hustler. Falana has defended more corrupt politicians arraigned by the EFCC than any solicitor in town. That man is a typical double speak hypocrite and should never be taken seriously. His latest rants just like Soyinka is to defend this govt and promote despotism . Can you imagine a SAN advocating for military tribunals to be setup to handle corruption cases?

Just leave these two fools to history.
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by xynerise: 5:48pm On Apr 13, 2016
santori:

make una dey small nah before una go dey yarn akpata
I don't get undecided
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by flamingREED(m): 5:50pm On Apr 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Just to salute the intellectual first lady.

Your flashback is the direct opposite of the situation in question.
In any case, the houses might reject any bills they so deem unworthy, and can even do so without any brouhaha - whose justification is a cipher

But bill-unworthiness as well as bill-worthiness must be contingent on the people's welfare, I trow.

The only problem I think I decipher are answers to these questions: why do we need the railway link ups, or why do we not need it, or why can we not want it now?

But being not a politician myself, plus these times of relational fogginess encompassing the whole governmental process at the federal level, the best one can do is to expect the mysterious dust to settle; they're on their own else.
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by flamingREED(m): 5:51pm On Apr 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Just to salute the intellectual first lady.

Your flashback is the direct opposite of the situation in question.
In any case, the houses might reject any bills they so deem unworthy, and can even do so without any brouhaha - whose justification is a cipher

But bill-unworthiness as well as bill-worthiness must be contingent on the people's welfare, I trow.

The only problem I think I decipher are answers to these questions: why do we need the railway link ups, or why do we not need it, or why can we not want it now?

But being not a politician myself, plus these times of relational fogginess encompassing the whole governmental process at the federal level, the best one can do is to expect the mysterious dust to settle; they're on their own else.
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by naptu2: 6:04pm On Apr 13, 2016
Finally! The mods have changed the title of the thread.
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by modath(f): 6:06pm On Apr 13, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
@LadyExcellency, mo and aresa

Good discussion you guys had on page 1. That is how discussions should go on Nairaland.

And I gave all of you likes for that. smiley

Thanks for the Likes..... I agree with you completely, it used to be issue based debates here on NL till 2 things happened..

1. Proliferation of cheap devices & 10mb bonus data!

2. 2015 elections eventually broke gangway plank that was used as a bridge between the divides!!

Hopefully, healing will happen soon.. smiley
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by 4wrd9ja: 6:13pm On Apr 13, 2016
PFRB:
Soyinka is goofing again.
He is a political illiterate, apologies to obj. He has forgotten that in democracy there is check and balance s he wants to instigate the people against the NAS to help his friend achieved their authoritarian status, not many people will fall for his warped thinking ,he is never on the side of the masses except for cheap political points or when his friends are not involved, he should encourage his friend to sign and then send supplementary appropriation so the economy can move forward,they should stop this ego tripping in the interest of the suffering masses
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by paranorman(m): 6:14pm On Apr 13, 2016
modath:
All the cretins that have pawned off their senses of sound judgement, responsibility & fairness at the altar of divisive & tribal politics & are justifying the excesses of NASS should endeavour to bear in mind that posterity will judge accordingly & "appropriately"!!

Same cacophony filled voices railed & ranted when the government admitted to submitting a budget rife with errors but are now condemning the "correction" of a widely accepted "error" purely because it will put paid to the twisted narratives they are intent on purporting...

Anyone who is for expunging CAPITAL PROJECTS for procurement of KEKE, TOWN HALL BUILDINGS, GRINDING MACHINES in the 21st century will need to see a combined team of Neurologist, Psychiatrist & psychologist for the mental issues & a cardiologist to put a pacemaker to assist that which the pain of great loss has smashed!!!! cool

For progress & unity, POLICY SUPERCEDES POLITICS!!

why can't I write like this ehn?
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by naptu2: 6:23pm On Apr 13, 2016
4wrd9ja:
He is a political illiterate, apologies to obj. He has forgotten that in democracy there is check and balance s he wants to instigate the people against the NAS to help his friend achieved their authoritarian status, not many people will fall for his warped thinking ,he is never on the side of the masses except for cheap political points or when his friends are not involved, he should encourage his friend to sign and then send supplementary appropriation so the economy can move forward,they should stop this ego tripping in the interest of the suffering masses

GworoChewinMaga:

You must not forget that Soyinka feeds from Amaechi's hand.

The man is a disgrace. And as for that integrity challenged charlatan called Falana , I always knew he was nothing but a cheap skate hustler. Falana has defended more corrupt politicians arraigned by the EFCC than any solicitor in town. That man is a typical double speak hypocrite and should never be taken seriously. His latest rants just like Soyinka is to defend this govt and promote despotism . Can you imagine a SAN advocating for military tribunals to be setup to handle corruption cases?

Just leave these two fools to history.

4wrd9ja:

byrron:

He lost his voice on the suffering Nigerians are currently experiencing due to the FG's retrogresive economic policies but suddenly found his voice on lagos- calabar rail project debacle but also lost his voice on the budget when it was padded and later got missing by this same FG he is now singing for.

These are the types of statesmen and profs Nigeria is blessed with.

The article was not written by Professor Wole Soyinka. It was written by Wole Solanke

1 Like

Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by Young109(m): 6:28pm On Apr 13, 2016
[/b][b][quote author=LadyExcellency post=44660928]I make bold to say that the highly rated professor is emphatically wrong in this one.

Does it mean that NDDC is illegal since it was totally opposed by the Executive and made to exist by the courageous NASS that overturned Obasanjo's veto?[/b]

Democracy is a representative government and moreover, Buhari wasn't an independent candidate.[/quote

And I made bold to put it to you that you have allowed sentiment to play into your rational reasoning, by first, over looking the main point which centered on the constitutional right of the NASS as regard finance. This you did again by committing the highest blunder of all, when you brought in passing of bill in order to defend gullible point. Don't be clouded by little sense, read for your self.
[b][/b[b]
] Section 4 of the Constitution spells out the role of the Legislature while Sections 80-83 capture their role with regards to public finance. None of those provisions empowers them to write the Appropriation for the Executive.

To start with, the executive is the government. They are the ones who sell us their vision for governance through their manifesto. By voting them in, we empower them to achieve those aims, and one of the tools they use is the budget. They have an idea of their priority areas and economic direction. It's those priorities they capture in their bill.

The Constitution empowers the National Assembly to appropriate funds for those priority areas identified by the Executive in their Bill. If they disagree with an input, they have the right not to appropriate funds and send that item back to the Executive.

The Constitution does not say in what manner they can send it back, but by not appropriating funds, they can make their intentions very clear. In more advanced democracies, there will then be meetings and horse trading and some form of agreement will be reached.

But from what the honourable member tweeted in defence of the National Assembly, what they did was not just refuse appropriation, they went further to input projects and expenditure on the Executive. Let's be clear. They have no such right or power under the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

The mere act of 'passing' the Appropriation Bill sent by the Executive and requesting the President's signature, the legislature in effect wrote the bill, which is a position outside of the contemplation of the Constitution. The right thing to have done was to identify their areas of concern and forward same to the Executive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by modath(f): 6:29pm On Apr 13, 2016
paranorman:

why can't I write like this ehn?

Hahaha...Nor think like dat joo, everybody get their niche, went through your profile & wished I could write programs too.. i dey jelosi you. smiley
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by Nobody: 6:32pm On Apr 13, 2016
4wrd9ja:

Falana is nothing but a leech feeding fat from the crumbs of corrupt politicians.
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 13, 2016
naptu2:

The article was not written by Professor Wole Soyinka. It was written by Wole Solanke

Thanks
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by billyG(m): 6:36pm On Apr 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

All funds appropriated for capital projects are exclusively managed and administered by the Executive including awarding the constituency projects to deserving contractors hence I don't see where and how they intend usurping the powers of the Executive.

what of money for town halls,keke,grinding machines is it in d original budget,Y did they remove money for polio for ambulance who giv them thaat power?was constituency projects in d original exec. budget?
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by Emmyval: 6:38pm On Apr 13, 2016
I disagree with you Prof on this because your submission was totally against NASS without any word for Minister for Transport who wrote amended copy of the budget and submitted to a Committee of Senate and not Joint Session of NASS, question is: does Rotimi Amaechi has the power to include a new project that was not included in the Mr President earlier presented budget?
Re: Deleting Priority Projects Of A Govt Is An Economic Crime - Wole Solanke by olajide8(m): 6:39pm On Apr 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

It is ridiculous to argue against 469 representatives in favour of one man executive.

The Prof is basically advocating for constitutional dictatorship and thinks that Buhari will be there forever.

NASS is the representatives of Nigerian people and have the power of the purse hence the constitution even gave them the power to sack an elected President provided they get the support of 67% of their members.

The President can't sack a Legislator rather the people can recall their elected representative.

If you are not satisfied with your elected representative, there are procedures the constitution put in place to recall him/her.

If the NASS can muster 2/3rd majority, they have the constitutional backing to override the President's veto and consequently force the budget on him if all dialogue fails.

This is democracy supported by the constitution and rule of law.

next time tell the legislator to draft the budget and source for the money execute the budget people are putting grinding machine and keke napep inside our budget at the expense of trains and infrastructural development - how many developed countries do you see their governments buying keke napep and grinding machines? Abegi, stop disgracing graduates or undergraduates - which ever you may be! angry

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"We Are Igbos, But Denied Igbo Because Of Biafran War" Says Ikwerre Youths / There’s Hunger, Starvation In The Land, Northern Leaders Tell Buhari / Acting CJN Warns Judges Against Frivolous Political Injunctions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.