Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax (1332 Views)

Medical Tourism: How Nigeria Loses Billions To India And Other Nations / Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements / Is Tuberculosis Hereditary!!?!??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by upuphim(m): 11:37am On Aug 03, 2009
A medical personnel told me that a wealthy white man shared his life time earnings into four places. Dedicated one quarter to combat Tuberculosis (TB) in Africa and a special drug was dispensed to that effect.  This drug is being used by Public Health Centres in all hospitals across Nigeria and freely given to patients.  Suddenly, it became scarce.  On enquiry, same hospital staff on condition of anonymity said that the scarcity was due to FG demand for tax on the drugs, hence it has to be diverted to other nations that do not demand tax. If this is true, it is like forbidding someone to give alms to a dire need beggar.  Must FG make money out of this charity donation or could it be excesses of 'egunje' customs officers?

Any Custom Officer in the house or anybody in better position? help is needed to contact the authoritieses to seek for a waiver since this is a humanitarian service.  TB is more deadly than HIV/AIDS. I understand it to be a catalyst to death of infected HIV/AIDS victim.  I'm not a victim but I have seen a close Father & Mother wiped away by HIV/AIDS.

Critics in the house, this has to do with an assistance to save life, kindly criticise with mercy and proffer solution.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by Nobody: 12:14pm On Aug 03, 2009
The FG will deny it as usual.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by oge4real(f): 2:06pm On Aug 03, 2009
Wonders like ds can only happen in this kind of country.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by Deshola: 3:40pm On Aug 03, 2009
Please verify your information please spreading false stories!
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by dfanthom(m): 3:57pm On Aug 03, 2009
r u sure? get your facts right before coming to the forum. we've gone past the era of hearsay!
the investigative journalists in the house will certainly go snoop around! grin
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by Deshola: 4:19pm On Aug 03, 2009
I just spoke with some health correspondents, no one seem to have your information.
Could you send your phone number for an in-depth interview.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by slanti: 4:32pm On Aug 03, 2009
this is very sensitive issue rasied and caution is necessary as this is a very sensitive issue.it could lead to anxiety for patients with this health condition and other negative health conditions .so please verify ur information and its source before publishing it. this is not a time to blackmail the federal government or the health ministry. because it is no secret that the health minister is concerned and committed 2 health care. believe it or not but the truth still remains glaring. the federal gov. cannot be so wicked to do that
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by hilli666(m): 5:34pm On Aug 03, 2009
In a stable Nigeria, I will have agreed to this taxation. But under the current circumstances, this should be categorised as absolute nonsense.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by upuphim(m): 6:07pm On Aug 03, 2009
I am sure I will gain nothing at spreading rumors.  Between May and July 2009 I've sourced this drug in the market because there was no drug where my brother was taking treatment, hence the origin of my interview with medical personnel in charge. Therefore my post is to get in touch with a reliable Customs Officer or FG agent that can handle this case.  For those who call it hear say, do I wait until a Newspaper publishes this information, or don't you think the masses even give journalist information? 

My GSM is 07041989743 for any inquiry.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by Nezan(m): 6:13pm On Aug 03, 2009
Pathetic
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by Seun(m): 6:14pm On Aug 03, 2009
The story hasn't been confirmed, but to me it makes sense because most goods imported into Nigeria are subject to customs tax, and the law may not (yet) have any exception for free drugs.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by mamag3: 7:40pm On Aug 03, 2009
The FG will deny this as usual.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by chyk91(m): 11:41pm On Aug 03, 2009
na wa o
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by PurestBoy(m): 2:06am On Aug 04, 2009
This is more than wa o
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by captured(f): 3:36am On Aug 04, 2009
If you ever had doubt that the Nigerian Governemnt is without conscience, what more evidence do you need.

nuzo:

The FG will deny it as usual.

They wont deny it, they will give you reason which wont hold water when presented in a primary school debate

Deshola:

Please verify your information please spreading false stories!

Nairaland is a forum and can be used to confirm, after all we have medical and governement pple on teh forum. i have seen them confirm or deny in a number of threads so relax. its a matter of time

Seun:

The story hasn't been confirmed, but to me it makes sense because most goods imported into Nigeria are subject to customs tax, and the law may not (yet) have any exception for free drugs.

Nigeria has some laws concerning free drugs that has been allowing drugs meant for us to go to coutries like Niger, Sudan. there is a clause for country of manufacture, one for year of produce and expiry, and it might also be due to any of our conflicting corporate laws. believe me when I say there is a CONSTITUTIONAL reason somewhere in the mix
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by texazzpete(m): 7:44am On Aug 04, 2009
captured:

If you ever had doubt that the Nigerian Governemnt is without conscience, what more evidence do you need.

Kindly point out the 'evidence' you refer to. I can't see any, so feel free to enlighten me.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by femy001: 11:31am On Aug 04, 2009
This is one of the stories that flies all around in an attempt to malign the personality of the Minister and the administration of President Yar'Adua. THe first question is; did you confirm this allegation before writing it? Where is the source of the information. I think we should be careful about what we write because we are looking for relevance or popularity in this country. We should write things that will portray us in the right perspective before the international community.
Re: Free Tuberculosis Drugs Diverted To Other Nations Because Of Tax by modes45(m): 10:51am On Aug 18, 2009
You sure say na true

(1) (Reply)

T T C Want To Get Pregnant ? Lose Weight ! / Does anyone Have Information About The Maleria An Typhoid Vaccine ? / A Baby Boy Hit Puberty When He Was Only 18 Months Old!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.