Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,896 members, 7,810,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station (2288 Views)

Boko Haram Kills A Soldier At Damboa Axis, Borno (Photos) / Soldier At Lagos-Ore Breaks Side Mirror Those Violating Vehicles To Clear Holdup / The Official Fuel Price At Total Filling Station Today 12 May, 2016 Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 3:09pm On Apr 13, 2016
I woke up at around 5:15am on that blessed Saturday 9th of April, 2016, hoping to go pick a good spot on the queue the Total filling station queue located at Oke Ijebu Akure, owing to the information I got the previous day about the offloading of the scarce product. I located a good spot not very far to the station, and the waiting begins. The station manager called in soldiers as usual to help coordinate the crowd that has now amassed inside and outside the filling station.

The soldiers arrived at around 8:50am, and cleared out everywhere, manned both the entrance and exit gates of the station to now facilitate the smooth sales of the product. Little did we know, that those of us on the legal queue are going to face one of our toughest and most injustice-filled day of our lives.

The soldiers in a well-coordinated manner, even against the wishes of the station manager, started allowing people in from the exit gates after collecting #1500 from the motorists. As if it was a joke that will end after a while, the practice became the norm and vehicles were just trooping in from the exit gate to the detriments of those on the legal queue, in which some had slept overnight at the filling station.

WTH? this are the soldiers I keep on praising everyday on Nairaland for the war on Boko Haram, how on earth could they stoop so low to be satisfying the ones who can afford an extra #1500, to the loss of those who are patiently on the queue. I decided not to participate in this corruption, even when those at my back on the queue decided to go follow the soldiers’ way. Earlier in the day, I criticized SP Saraki for corruption on nairaland, so how would I join the military in participating in the same? I also queried the mentality of those at the filling station who had earlier on argued that it is only the military that can repair Nigeria, in the face of corruption prosecution.

By 5:50pm, I got to the front of the entrance queue (mind you: the queue was not so long or terrible but was moving very slowly since the soldiers care-less for those on it because they couldn’t afford to pay them #1500), my mom who is now very worried that I have not eaten, and was cold because of the afternoon rain, and worst still that I’m still unable to get the commodity since dawn came to meet me at the station.

To another greatest surprise of mine, was when one of the soldiers met us requesting for #1500, WHHAAAT? He commanded I get out of the queue and start going home, since I said I will not pay. I insisted on not paying, and he now on top of his voice cursing that, nothing will make him allow me enter to get fuel that day. This caused a brief argument between me and my mom, I maintained it's better we go home than pay the gay, while my mom plead that, since I have been on the queue since morning, I should just pay him so it won’t be a total waste of effort.

After much persuasion I paid him #1000, only to enter inside and not be sold fuel, as the station manager declared they are ending the day’s operation. I immediately went back to the soldier to refund my #1000, since I was unable to get the product he charged me for, and he denied ever seeing me not to talk of collecting #1000 from me. My mom also talk to him and he insisted not collecting any money from us, and went to join His colleague as they drove off.

That is how I was scammed by my most respected institution in Nigeria, I was so disappointed that I couldn’t sleep that night.
Nigerians, what can we do about our endemic corruption? I am tired of just praying, praying and praying all the time while this leaders continues to careless about the citizens. I think it’s time the citizenry start having their destinies in their hands against evils in this country.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by madridguy(m): 3:11pm On Apr 13, 2016
typing....
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by chriskosherbal(m): 3:13pm On Apr 13, 2016
Hmmm it's well
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by SleekMallam: 3:18pm On Apr 13, 2016
You must be an iPod yoot for attempting to rubbish the military.

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by otokx(m): 3:25pm On Apr 13, 2016
Sorry, by now you should have known that lawlessness and corruption is all over Nigeria.

Why will you queue in a petrol station where Soldiers are holding sway.

Anyway wisdom is profitable to direct next time.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by madenigga(m): 3:26pm On Apr 13, 2016
Ipob youth akure branch

4 Likes

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by YorubaWoman: 3:48pm On Apr 13, 2016
It will get better.

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 4:48pm On Apr 13, 2016
otokx:
Sorry, by now you should have known that lawlessness and corruption is all over Nigeria.

Why will you queue in a petrol station where Soldiers are holding sway.

Anyway wisdom is profitable to direct next time.

Hmm, I regretted not leaving the filling station before my mom arrived.. One thing must teach someone sha, never thought the military is into this rubbish.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 4:52pm On Apr 13, 2016
SleekMallam:

How?
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by GworoChewinMaga: 5:06pm On Apr 13, 2016
The biggest thieves in Nijeriya are Obasanjo, IBB and Abacha.

The biggest hypocrite thief ever is Buhari who stole 2.8bn naira back in 1977 .

The Nigerian military is filled to the brim with jobless unemployable touts who are trained or rather conditioned to attack and kill defenseless citizens.

Why you should see the army as a symbol of discipline stems from your own erroneous definition of discipline.

It is no secret that most if not virtually all Nigerian adults today where conditioned and raised with the fear of the cane.

Your average Nigerian does not understand why laws should be uphleld but only sees the repercussions that will follow if caught breaking the law.

This has made your average Nigeria lawless and indiscipline and also highly respectful to the military who wield the long stick.

I encountered one small boy soldeir at a check point who would not be older than 25. He was rude and aggressive to me for no just cause all because I drive reach im checkpoint.

The idi0t shouted I get down from my car and open the boot. After inspecting the boot, he had the audacity to ask me why I dey frown face. That if I no smile I won't leave the checkpoint. I looked at him and told him which dey you join Soja? Your mates dey school or get better hand work or job and you dey here dey form oga. He first looked shocked and then started shouting. I told him to keep quiet that if I had any business with soldeirs no be your type. I told him that he or none of them can do nada and that if he dares try nonsense he will know who I was and who I know. The idiot begin shout "who are you". I just entered my car and told him, can I go. That is when a sergeant called him and asked what was wrong. I explained to the more matured sergeant that the younger soldeir was very rude to me and for no reason. The sergeant listened and asked me to go. Unknown to me, the sergeant is very farmiliar with me since I ply the soute regularly and on one of my late night journeys on that route I had given him a bottle of red label I got from an occasion without him asking because I don't drink liquor.

So just remember that most of these young sojas nah them no get head because less than 2yrs back they were either in the village farming or jobless touts in the city.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by EldaTimba(m): 5:08pm On Apr 13, 2016
This impunity by the men in military camouflage was also experienced in Total filling station Owo. Rather than sell for those on queue, the filling station under the command of a joint partnership of soldiers and police were selling "our" fuel to black marketers and those who can bribe their way through.

But, will continue this way? I think the best way to solve this menace( as well as other modes corruption) is to prevent the avenue for corruption. If you bring effc operatives to this filling stations, the music would remain unchanged. If fuel is readily available in filling stations, this corruption wouldn't occur.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by GworoChewinMaga: 5:08pm On Apr 13, 2016
olafum1:

Hmm, I regretted not leaving the filling station before my mom arrived.. One thing must teach someone sha, never thought the military is into this rubbish.

The Nigerian military is filled with indisciplined men and women .

The same military that has no conscience shooting at unarmed civilians that they were expected to protect?

Obasanjo , Abacha and IBB are all from this same criminal background.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by Ekehwinz: 5:16pm On Apr 13, 2016
my lecturer will always tell me and i quote ' if it happens that you get an opportunity to leave this country, dont think twice, just get out'.

you've seen less of a mess this country is man. This country is the hell that we've been hearing about, nowhere else.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by evy1(m): 5:36pm On Apr 13, 2016
You never wan buy fuel.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 5:55pm On Apr 13, 2016
GworoChewinMaga:

Why you should see the army as a symbol of discipline stems from your own erroneous definition of discipline.
It is no secret that most if not virtually all Nigerian adults today where conditioned and raised with the fear of the cane.
Your average Nigerian does not understand why laws should be uphleld but only sees the repercussions that will follow if caught breaking the law.
This has made your average Nigeria lawless and indiscipline and also highly respectful to the military who wield the long stick.

True! In fact many other things happened there that day, that space won't allow me to write. Of serious concern to me is how one can get justice against such military malady

1 Like

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by GworoChewinMaga: 6:02pm On Apr 13, 2016
olafum1:

True! In fact many other things happened there that day, that space won't allow me to write. Of serious concern to me is how one can get justice against such military malady

You have been a staunch advocate of brute military force which you mistook for discipline.

You like many here are or were advocating for a military dictator as your democratic elected leader and have supported staunchly his lopsided anti corruption war which is just a guise to suppress the political opposition.

You like most here have been raining curses on the judiciary which normally would have been your only reprieve .

This is the society you wanted and so shall it continue until you wake up and listen carefully to Fela's song zombie.

3 Likes

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 6:02pm On Apr 13, 2016
YorubaWoman:
It will get better.

Amen o.
An elderly/grey hair man was whipped inside his car, with his side mirror and and front bumper damage, his crime was: after staying on the queue for like 10 hours, he was not told to come in, even when the inside is clear for him to come in.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 6:11pm On Apr 13, 2016
GworoChewinMaga:

You have been a staunch advocate of brute military force which you mistook for discipline.

You like many here are or were advocating for a military dictator as your democratic elected leader and have supported staunchly his lopsided anti corruption war which is just a guise to suppress the political opposition.

You like most here have been raining curses on the judiciary which normally would have been your only reprieve .

This is the society you wanted and so shall it continue until you wake up and listen carefully to Fela's song zombie.

No no no, do not misunderstand. I have always advocate a just and peaceful society. I never advocate for a military Takeover, while I understand democracy has its defects (as in d Nigerian scenario), the judiciary too cannot be totally exonerated from the ills of our society here. the truth is, the whole system is bad, and it touches everyone, no matter ur affiliation.

I'm beginning to understand that the solution to this menace lies in our hands as citizens, but seems we r not ready because what divides us are more than what unites us, and that's what the political class preys on. Until we start seeing the Nigerian situation above ethnic and religious lines, I'm not seeing us overcoming this problems in the near future.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by GworoChewinMaga: 7:30am On Apr 14, 2016
olafum1:

No no no, do not misunderstand. I have always advocate a just and peaceful society. I never advocate for a military Takeover, while I understand democracy has its defects (as in d Nigerian scenario), the judiciary too cannot be totally exonerated from the ills of our society here. the truth is, the whole system is bad, and it touches everyone, no matter ur affiliation.

I'm beginning to understand that the solution to this menace lies in our hands as citizens, but seems we r not ready because what divides us are more than what unites us, and that's what the political class preys on. Until we start seeing the Nigerian situation above ethnic and religious lines, I'm not seeing us overcoming this problems in the near future.

You brought this upon yourself

Normally the judiciary is you last hope of reprieve but people like you condemned the judiciary and promoted the corrupt brutal army over every institution.

The solution lies in ensuring that the military returns to and remains in their statutory role and that other institutions are strengthened.

But you assume that institutions can only be strengthened with a military man at its helms.

We must push the military back to their barracks.

2 Likes

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 14, 2016
Na wa ooo
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by xe4gals(m): 8:22am On Apr 14, 2016
Op grin grin grin This guys can help you grin

Lalasticlala, Dominique, Ishilove, Firefire, AgabaI23, Atlwireles, WhiteTechnology, Whynotthetruth, Beremx, sunnyb0b0, Anonimi, MizMyColi, Ola6, Chukwudi44, NgeneUkwenu, Midolian, Modath, OrlandoOwoh, Owobikiri, AnambraDota, Rozayx5, Mogidi, TonyeBarcanista, Ecoterrors, Rawtruth, Onenaira3, Dabullit, mynd44, maxit2, focus7, goke7, project8, rottennaija.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by babyfaceafrica: 8:30am On Apr 14, 2016
Pics or adonbelibeit
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by DaBullIT(m): 8:46am On Apr 14, 2016
While i am at liberty to doubt the credibility of the OP

I also would think it's not in the realm of impossibilities

If they are real Soldiers , the joke is on them and it's a shame to our country

I am however inclined to believe they may be fake soldiers and it was a scam perpetrated by the filling station (especially if the owner was an ex military or has military links )
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 14, 2016
next time if it's possible (I know it's dangerous) set up your phone's camera in advance to catch everything on video.

then post it on YouTube and watch the soldier's life go to nuts.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by CHIJIOKE1314: 9:06am On Apr 14, 2016
olafum1:

See you are lucky that the zombie did not shoot you..

You wan go collect back your 1k, since they were telling u that u r in a zoo and you decided to be forming ignorant...

IsOrite!!
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 9:47am On Apr 14, 2016
DaBullIT:
While i am at liberty to doubt the credibility of the OP

I also would think it's not in the realm of impossibilities

If they are real Soldiers , the joke is on them and it's a shame to our country

I am however inclined to believe they may be fake soldiers and it was a scam perpetrated by the filling station (especially if the owner was an ex military or has military links )

My brother, it's all true I posted there. They are not fake as they were drafted from Owena Barracks in Ondo road, though they have the Nigerian army Insignia, no name tag was on them, but this particular soldier I got his nameto be Yinka, from someone who knows them at d barracks.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 9:50am On Apr 14, 2016
Ioannes:
next time if it's possible (I know it's dangerous) set up your phone's camera in advance to catch everything on video.

then post it on YouTube and watch the soldier's life go to nuts.

True, that's one thing I should have done. The shock I got realising that they took over the filling station really weakened me. On many occasions the station manager will stop vehicles the soldiers had allowed in through the exit gate, but all is to no avail.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 10:00am On Apr 14, 2016
olafum1:

True, that's one thing I should have done. The shock I got realising that they took over the filling station really weakened me. On many occasions the station manager will stop vehicles the soldiers had allowed in through the exit gate, but all is to no avail.
As far as you voted for Change because of ur brother who is d vp,just enjoy the Change!
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by rottennaija(m): 10:26am On Apr 14, 2016
olafum1:
I woke up at around 5:15am on that blessed Saturday 9th of April, 2016, hoping to go pick a good spot on the queue the Total filling station queue located at Oke Ijebu Akure, owing to the information I got the previous day about the offloading of the scarce product. I located a good spot not very far to the station, and the waiting begins. The station manager called in soldiers as usual to help coordinate the crowd that has now amassed inside and outside the filling station.

The soldiers arrived at around 8:50am, and cleared out everywhere, manned both the entrance and exit gates of the station to now facilitate the smooth sales of the product. Little did we know, that those of us on the legal queue are going to face one of our toughest and most injustice-filled day of our lives.

The soldiers in a well-coordinated manner, even against the wishes of the station manager, started allowing people in from the exit gates after collecting #1500 from the motorists. As if it was a joke that will end after a while, the practice became the norm and vehicles were just trooping in from the exit gate to the detriments of those on the legal queue, in which some had slept overnight at the filling station.

WTH? this are the soldiers I keep on praising everyday on Nairaland for the war on Boko Haram, how on earth could they stoop so low to be satisfying the ones who can afford an extra #1500, to the loss of those who are patiently on the queue. I decided not to participate in this corruption, even when those at my back on the queue decided to go follow the soldiers’ way. Earlier in the day, I criticized SP Saraki for corruption on nairaland, so how would I join the military in participating in the same? I also queried the mentality of those at the filling station who had earlier on argued that it is only the military that can repair Nigeria, in the face of corruption prosecution.

By 5:50pm, I got to the front of the entrance queue (mind you: the queue was not so long or terrible but was moving very slowly since the soldiers care-less for those on it because they couldn’t afford to pay them #1500), my mom who is now very worried that I have not eaten, and was cold because of the afternoon rain, and worst still that I’m still unable to get the commodity since dawn came to meet me at the station.

To another greatest surprise of mine, was when one of the soldiers met us requesting for #1500, WHHAAAT? He commanded I get out of the queue and start going home, since I said I will not pay. I insisted on not paying, and he now on top of his voice cursing that, nothing will make him allow me enter to get fuel that day. This caused a brief argument between me and my mom, I maintained it's better we go home than pay the gay, while my mom plead that, since I have been on the queue since morning, I should just pay him so it won’t be a total waste of effort.

After much persuasion I paid him #1000, only to enter inside and not be sold fuel, as the station manager declared they are ending the day’s operation. I immediately went back to the soldier to refund my #1000, since I was unable to get the product he charged me for, and he denied ever seeing me not to talk of collecting #1000 from me. My mom also talk to him and he insisted not collecting any money from us, and went to join His colleague as they drove off.

That is how I was scammed by my most respected institution in Nigeria, I was so disappointed that I couldn’t sleep that night.
Nigerians, what can we do about our endemic corruption? I am tired of just praying, praying and praying all the time while this leaders continues to careless about the citizens. I think it’s time the citizenry start having their destinies in their hands against evils in this country.

You had a good fone that can video, you should have video them and post it here in nairaland and leave the rest to the social media. By now, the military headquarters would have done something about it.
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by olafum1(m): 10:36am On Apr 14, 2016
rottennaija:

You had a good fone that can video, you should have video them and post it here in nairaland and leave the rest to the social media. By now, the military headquarters would have done something about it.

True but you know that can be risky, owing to their aggressiveness
Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by Firefire(m): 10:39am On Apr 14, 2016
SleekMallam:

The guy is an iPod yoot or better described below by his colleague.

omenka:
It will still hurt the perpetually angry children of the Lost Tribe of Bangladesh.

1 Like

Re: How I Got Scammed By A Nigerian Soldier At Total Filling Station by SleekMallam: 10:42am On Apr 14, 2016
Firefire:

The guy is an iPod yoot or better described below by his colleague.
IPod yoot with Agatu yoot.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hausa Youths Attack Lagos Chemist For Blasphemy / How Monkey Pox Injection Hoax Swept Through Igboland / Aare Ona Kakanfo on the run again.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.