Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,825 members, 7,810,169 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

What Is Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Sin? (2263 Views)

What Is SIN Against The Holy Spirit? / How Does The Fact That There Are Gay Animals Impact The Idea That Gay Is Sin? / What Is Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Sin? by nferyn(m): 12:27pm On Nov 13, 2006
What is sin? I really have trouble understanding the concept of sin.
Re: What Is Sin? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:08am On Nov 15, 2006
In essence sin is a principle like any other principle, but in this case its defined by selfishness in all its forms. The final end product that derives from it is death.
Re: What Is Sin? by olabowale(m): 3:25pm On Nov 16, 2006
Sin is devoid of moral quality. It is no agreeable to heart and lacks human decency. You will know it in your heart. You may not be ashamed of it, but your soul and heart do feel the pang of the impending emotional letdown. You know it when you witness the performance of it, if you are sincere with yourself.
Re: What Is Sin? by TayoD(m): 1:03am On Nov 17, 2006
Sin is missing the mark.
Re: What Is Sin? by famochi(m): 5:48pm On Nov 17, 2006
Sin is any wrong doing.
Re: What Is Sin? by Damollar(m): 6:01pm On Nov 17, 2006
Sin is Disobedience - No Long Thing
Re: What Is Sin? by gbadex1(m): 10:52pm On Nov 17, 2006
Yes long thing. First understand the existence of a creator, then u can understand the principle of sin.

No hating
Re: What Is Sin? by nferyn(m): 11:09pm On Nov 17, 2006
gbade. x:

Yes long thing. First understand the existence of a creator, then u can understand the principle of sin.
Catch 22

gbade. x:

No hating
I know you don't wink
Re: What Is Sin? by gbadex1(m): 11:24pm On Nov 17, 2006
@ nferyn,

dude, breathe easy, no need for inhalers. I was referring to Damollar with the "No hating" thingy. The other part was referring to ya question.
Re: What Is Sin? by nferyn(m): 11:38pm On Nov 17, 2006
gbade. x:

@ nferyn,

dude, breathe easy, no need for inhalers. I was referring to Damollar with the "No hating" thingy. The other part was referring to ya question.
Doesn't his description make sense? It's probably what sets sin apart from something simply wrong or am I misreading things?
Re: What Is Sin? by gbadex1(m): 12:00am On Nov 18, 2006
His description made absolute sense. Actually the "yes, long thing" and other part interloped each other.

I said the Yes long thing (was referring to you) because like he said, Sin is disobedience. But the question is, who are we disobeying? This is where the part where i said that u first have to understand the existence of God, before u can understand the principle of sin, comes into play. And it seems ya don't understand the former. To understand the latter, u have to understand the former.

Another definition: Sin is stepping out of God's will.
Re: What Is Sin? by gbadex1(m): 12:00am On Nov 18, 2006
His description made absolute sense. Actually the "yes, long thing" and other part interloped each other.

I said the Yes long thing (was referring to you) because like he said, Sin is disobedience. But the question is, who are we disobeying? This is where the part where i said that u first have to understand the existence of God, before u can understand the principle of sin, comes into play. And it seems ya don't understand the former. To understand the latter, u have to understand the former.

Another definition: Sin is stepping out of God's will.
Re: What Is Sin? by Damollar(m): 3:49pm On Nov 18, 2006
@gbade.x - come boy sit, let me teach u some lessons

What Is Sin - Read a definition of sin and discover how it relates to your life. What is it and what does the Bible say?

sin is a moral evil
Re: What Is Sin? by exu(m): 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2006
Sin is forgetting to wipe your anus after defecation.
Re: What Is Sin? by gbadex1(m): 10:35am On Nov 19, 2006
@ exu:

hold your peace. If u don't have jack to say, then don't say jack.

@ damollar:

don't get me wrong. I wasn't contradicting u or hating. That "Yes, long thing" part was said, referring to nferyn and not you.
Re: What Is Sin? by Eurphoria(f): 4:50am On Nov 20, 2006
gbade. x:

No hating

@gbabe

wink you took the word right out of my big gob.

@topic
wonder if there is a genuine interest in the meaing of sin and not just another poke at religion undecided
Re: What Is Sin? by chistiana(f): 4:21pm On Dec 20, 2006
Pls i also need to know more about this.
Re: What Is Sin? by MP007(m): 8:25am On Dec 13, 2007
This is the best way to define sin, SIN IS ANYTHING THAT MAKES U FAIL TO OBEY THE TEN COMMANDMENTS,
Re: What Is Sin? by jerrymania(m): 12:51am On Dec 14, 2007
Sin is an age long deception for world domination
Re: What Is Sin? by dafidixone(m): 3:14pm On Dec 27, 2007
All Unrighteousness is a Sin grin
Re: What Is Sin? by ifyalways(f): 5:39pm On Dec 27, 2007
sin is sin.
even a 5 yr old lad knows when he/she is doing the wrong thing.
the spirit in us always bear witness .
our conscience too talks.
so,sin is anything BAD.
Re: What Is Sin? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 27, 2007
jerrymania:

Sin is an age long deception for world domination

I guess you were deceived to not steal, lie, cheat etc
Re: What Is Sin? by JeSoul(f): 11:11pm On Dec 27, 2007
Sin is doing, saying, thinking anything that goes against what God has commanded us in the bible. If you're a christian, when you sin, you will feel bad becos the holy Spirit will convict you. So it should be pretty easy to know when you're sinning.

Also:
Jm 4:17 Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin.
Re: What Is Sin? by jagunlabi(m): 3:05pm On Dec 28, 2007
Damollar:

@gbade.x - come boy sit, let me teach u some lessons

What Is Sin - Read a definition of sin and discover how it relates to your life. What is it and what does the Bible say?

sin is a moral evil
I guess that makes the bible god a sinner of the highest order,no?
According to the OT, no being(devine or earthly) surpasses the lord of israel when it comes to committing "moral evil".
Re: What Is Sin? by TayoD1(m): 3:30pm On Dec 28, 2007
@MP007,

This is the best way to define sin, SIN IS ANYTHING THAT MAKES You FAIL TO OBEY THE TEN COMMANDMENTS,
But there was no Ten Commandments in the Garden of Eden and yet Adam was convicted of sin. So you see, this your definition does not cut it at all.

Sin is simply missing the mark, - God's mark. Remember Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; We sin each time our words, thoughts and/or deeds fall short of God's righteous standards.

This is why I pity those who intend to get to heaven based on their 'good" works because no matter how good your work is, it still cannot meet God's standard. That is why God told us in Isaiah 64:6 that all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; becuase they still fall short of His glory.
Re: What Is Sin? by jagunlabi(m): 3:32pm On Dec 28, 2007
@TayoD
So on whose "mark" does one measure the atrocities committed by this same bible god,sir?Or maybe you want to tell me that might is right?
Re: What Is Sin? by TayoD1(m): 3:49pm On Dec 28, 2007
@jagunlabi,

If you consider the fact that the wages of sin is death, then one cannot but marvel at the mercy of god to keep sparing us of the consequences of our sin.
Re: What Is Sin? by jagunlabi(m): 3:06pm On Dec 29, 2007
@tayoD
I wouldn't say that i did not expect that kind of response from you.Rather predictable dancing around a very straitghforward question.

How can a god that is infinitely more evil than the devil, be the one to determine what a sin should or shouldn't be?
Why should modern humans use the bible god as a yardstick to measure their moral and ethical standings when they are higher in this regard, than this very same diety?

Don't you think that a god that wishes to be a determiner of what a sin or sins should be,should be absolutely free of sins himself?The bible clearly reveals that yahweh is draped in sin,totally covered with the blood of the innocent victims of his sadism!

Alas!Modern humans are of much higher moral and ethical standards than the biblical yahweh and the koranic allah!! shocked

And even SATAN is of a higher moral standard as yahweh,because he did not cause anyone on the bible pages so much pain and suffering like yahweh did.NOT A SINGLE SOUL!!! shocked shocked WOW!!

Reverend TayoD,when it comes to the issues of morality,ethics,and ultimately sin,your god has become your Achilles heel.
Re: What Is Sin? by holythug(m): 3:12pm On Dec 29, 2007
Selfish in nature grin
Re: What Is Sin? by Bobbyaf(m): 3:39pm On Dec 29, 2007
@ tayod

But there was no Ten Commandments in the Garden of Eden and yet Adam was convicted of sin. So you see, this your definition does not cut it at all.

I john 3:4 says "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."

Plain and simple! Adam and Eve transgressed the law. They disobeyed God's direct commandment not to eat or touch the forbidden fruit. So even though a single act was required to have sinned then, the fact is, the principle of the law was violated as James put it,

James 2: 10-11 "For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder."

Sin is simply missing the mark, - God's mark. Remember Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; We sin each time our words, thoughts and/or deeds fall short of God's righteous standards.

And what is that mark might I ask? It is God's divine and unchangable law.

This is why I pity those who intend to get to heaven based on their 'good" works because no matter how good your work is, it still cannot meet God's standard. That is why God told us in Isaiah 64:6 that all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; becuase they still fall short of His glory.

Very well said! Our righteousness is as filthy rags, but when we allow Christ to live within us He empowers us to obedience. When we experience His grace it empowers us to do what He instructs.
Re: What Is Sin? by jagunlabi(m): 3:42pm On Dec 29, 2007
@bobbyaf
Would i meet god's "very high" standards if i commit genocide like he did on the pages of the OT bible?Would i?
Afterall,god will be my role model.
Re: What Is Sin? by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Dec 29, 2007
MP007:

This is the best way to define sin, SIN IS ANYTHING THAT MAKES You FAIL TO OBEY THE TEN COMMANDMENTS,

I think that is a very tight way of describing sin. There are things that are sin to some and not sin to others. I believe this is discussed in the Bible as well. If you are not a Christian, that is fine too just addressing you as if you were one is all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Atheism A Belief Or Is It Truly Religion? / Who Is Jesus Christ? / Biblical Fact Of Reincarnation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.