Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china (47825 Views)

41 Items Still Banned Under Nigeria-china Currency Swap Deal / What Happened To Nigeria China Currency Swap Deal? / Nigeria, China Currency Swap Forces USD Rate Down: Bureau De Change Association (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by OgaTheTop2: 6:55am On Apr 14, 2016
MathsChic:
This move by the Buhari administration is almost a strategic one. You'd recall that the Naira/USD exchange rate took a dive during those troubled periods once Nigerian importers who had made deposits with Chinese firms began to source for dollars to meet their varying commitments. That exchange rate would have seen less pressure, were they sourcing for the Yuan instead, a currency Chinese firms will accept. The trade between Nigeria and China was once recorded at over $11b dollars with, of course, the imbalance being to Nigeria's disfavour. But that's not the point; Nigeria has never really been an exporting country.

Nevertheless, it's obvious there's a lot of trade going on between the two countries. Since you couldn't exchange Naira directly for Yuan, but had to first obtain the USD, the various additional costs incurred during the two-stage transaction ensured Nigerian firms spent more money doing business with Chinese firms. In addition, by not first exchanging to the USD Nigeria can start reducing its dependence on the dollar. And now, I don't have to tell you how much the greenback swings the Nigerian market.

Not to get it wrong though. This will not increase the money in Nigeria's pocket, neither will it completely eliminate dependence on the dollar since some countries will not accept the Yuan while trading with Nigeria. In fact, Nigeria will have to convert a sizeable amount of its earning to the Chinese legal tender causing the country to hold less dollar. However, if a significant amount of trade is happening with China, there is no reason the Nigeria shouldn't have a Yuan trading hub.

The Naira will be the latest in a string of currencies which currently trade with the Yuan. There is already direct trade with the dollar, euro, yen, pound, the Australian Aussie, the New Zealand dollar, Russia's rouble, Swiss francs, the Singaporean dollar and the Malaysian ringgit. By joining the list of these countries, Nigeria is expressing its desire to take China seriously as a global economy and directly take on the benefits that come with that.
O se! But pleae, is it possible the govt scrapped black market? Those illegal bdc should be scrapped, raided and offenders clamped in jail..
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Caseless: 7:43am On Apr 14, 2016
englishmart:
maybe China will adopt naira while we adopt yuan

Lubbicious rubbish
I thought you are smart. This post just confirmed what you trully are- a guy with little knowledge of things. I used to think you are brilliant.
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Caseless: 7:47am On Apr 14, 2016
MathsChic:
This move by the Buhari administration is almost a strategic one. You'd recall that the Naira/USD exchange rate took a dive during those troubled periods once Nigerian importers who had made deposits with Chinese firms began to source for dollars to meet their varying commitments. That exchange rate would have seen less pressure, were they sourcing for the Yuan instead, a currency Chinese firms will accept. The trade between Nigeria and China was once recorded at over $11b dollars with, of course, the imbalance being to Nigeria's disfavour. But that's not the point; Nigeria has never really been an exporting country.

Nevertheless, it's obvious there's a lot of trade going on between the two countries. Since you couldn't exchange Naira directly for Yuan, but had to first obtain the USD, the various additional costs incurred during the two-stage transaction ensured Nigerian firms spent more money doing business with Chinese firms. In addition, by not first exchanging to the USD Nigeria can start reducing its dependence on the dollar. And now, I don't have to tell you how much the greenback swings the Nigerian market.

Not to get it wrong though. This will not increase the money in Nigeria's pocket, neither will it completely eliminate dependence on the dollar since some countries will not accept the Yuan while trading with Nigeria. In fact, Nigeria will have to convert a sizeable amount of its earning to the Chinese legal tender causing the country to hold less dollar. However, if a significant amount of trade is happening with China, there is no reason the Nigeria shouldn't have a Yuan trading hub.

The Naira will be the latest in a string of currencies which currently trade with the Yuan. There is already direct trade with the dollar, euro, yen, pound, the Australian Aussie, the New Zealand dollar, Russia's rouble, Swiss francs, the Singaporean dollar and the Malaysian ringgit. By joining the list of these countries, Nigeria is expressing its desire to take China seriously as a global economy and directly take on the benefits that come with that.
never seen a lady spoken so brilliantly before on this forum. No wonder you have 'maths' in ur moniker.
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by haconjy(m): 9:30am On Apr 14, 2016
I have thought of this but only when I become the president...
but now buhari caught me in that way...its my strategy...
but still I have many more...just that I expect bihari to invite me...
Finally, we need to do away with USA and pally with Asian and Russian and lastly, Iran..

www.themafrica..com
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by ephi123(f): 9:48am On Apr 14, 2016
MathsChic:

I am so impressed by your analysis. You certainly should have a career in Financial Analysis if you don't already. Nice to see someone being logical and breaking down details that had flown over most people's heads. Thumbs up to you girl. Big thumbs up.
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by folawalesegun: 10:04am On Apr 14, 2016
Nations clamoring for a neutral currency means Jesus second coming is so near. Christians trim your lamps and be ready
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by otr1(m): 10:17am On Apr 14, 2016
herbie27:
That man is the most clueless president have seen, instead of him to build industries that will export and compete with China, his encouraging it to dump goods here as if the ones it has dumped isn't enough.
Building industries to boost export is a long-run solution. Since we import mostly from China, this will help in the short-run while we work on improving export.
Sticking with Dollar has not and will not stop goods dumping from China
I hope you understand that?
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by mbz101(m): 10:32am On Apr 14, 2016
Pratically , it's all about the demand and supply chain and parella market has an effect to this and our local made goods will surly have value to the Naira .. Abeg apply management science .
Economy no be English Jare .
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by BizBloke(m): 11:03am On Apr 14, 2016
Caseless:
I thought you are smart. This post just confirmed what you trully are- a guy with little knowledge of things. I used to think you are brilliant.

You never change. grin grin grin
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by MathsChic(f): 12:01pm On Apr 14, 2016
ephi123:

I am so impressed by your analysis. You certainly should have a career in Financial Analysis if you don't already. Nice to see someone being logical and breaking down details that had flown over most people's heads. Thumbs up to you girl. Big thumbs up.
Thanks! smiley
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by englishmart(m): 12:25pm On Apr 14, 2016
Caseless:
maybe you think I care

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 14, 2016
abumeinben:

Make sure u have enuf Yuan before u bail Sis

I will do that. Thanks=== keeps running**
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by abumeinben(m): 4:11pm On Apr 14, 2016
sweetpies:

I will do that. Thanks=== keeps running**

On foot?

Abi ur preparing for the next lahgos marathon
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 14, 2016
abumeinben:

On foot?

Abi ur preparing for the next lahgos marathon

Hehehe la joke la, u no understand? grin
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by nairatinz: 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
This is suppose to help the economy in the long run. Lets hope there is commitment to make it work.
Lets hope the so called conspirators wont derail it. Nigeria already has a whole lot of trade with china.
Regards,
NairaTinz
http://justprice.com.ng
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by sirthisthickkal: 6:36pm On Apr 14, 2016
MathsChic:

I hardly do this but i just have to, your post is one of the most awe-inspiring i ever read on this forum and you know what baffles me again? It is actuallly coming from a lady, which is damn rare. I patiently anticipate your subsequent post on future issues of this type.
Good evening!
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Caseless: 8:38pm On Apr 14, 2016
BizBloke:

You never change. grin grin grin
I thought about you some days ago. grin

How I go change?

How ur side?
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Caseless: 8:39pm On Apr 14, 2016
englishmart:
maybe you think I care
I have my message passed.
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by MathsChic(f): 9:44pm On Apr 14, 2016
sirthisthickkal:

I hardly do this but i just have to, your post is one of the most awe-inspiring i ever read on this forum and you know what baffles me again? It is actuallly coming from a lady, which is damn rare. I patiently anticipate your subsequent post on future issues of this type
Good evening!
Lol. Thanks a lot. Yours is just as inspiring for me.
However, I hope it isn't the case that you expect less from women tongue
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by sirthisthickkal: 10:50pm On Apr 14, 2016
MathsChic:

Lol. Thanks a lot. Yours is just as inspiring for me.
However, I hope it isn't the case that you expect less from women tongue

I hold women with high esteem especially intelligent ones, I never look down at them. To me, I just think the intelligent ones are on the blink of extinction fortunately today you have proved me wrong. I don't get impressed easily but suddenly out of the Blues, your post swept me off. Dammit! Which magic wand did you use? I guess it's Harry Potter because I am spell bounded by your post.
wink
tongue

:
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by abumeinben(m): 10:55pm On Apr 14, 2016
sweetpies:

Hehehe la joke la, u no understand? grin

Nothing be jhoke these days o. Naso dat guy waka rich Abuja from Ibadan o
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by englishmart(m): 5:18am On Apr 15, 2016
Caseless:
I have my message passed.
it was useless

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by BizBloke(m): 11:22am On Apr 15, 2016
Caseless:
I thought about you some days ago. grin

How I go change?

How ur side?

Lol. Thinker. As you think finish, you no fit send mail or holla for my thread. See hin head like Olubukato own. grin
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Egie4real: 5:46pm On Apr 16, 2016
MathsChic:

Clear explanation... But the government should go further to restrict importation of some products that we can produce locally. This is necessary because China will flood Nigerian market with all manners of goods. Also trade discrepancies should be valued in neutral currency like the dollars to encourage trade balance.
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Tija: 11:35pm On Apr 16, 2016
Sanchase:
This is an absolute disaster, it is not good economics to depend on a country's currency to strengthen your domestic currency, the decisions made by Chinese lawmakers towards their monetary policies inadvertently affects every country in possession of Chinese currency. The Universal currency still remains USD and the Nigerian government should focus on how the value of the Naira can be aligned directly to the USD, using Naira to Yuan and Yuan to USD is a two dimensional process. The exchange values may seem proportionate but with huge transactions over a period of time it results to huge losses for the Nigerian economy.

Well said.....The opacity of China's forex management will likely prove very expensive for us in the long run. It might seem a brilliant move in the short term but China will just use us as an additional hedge against the dollar in their quest to keep exporting to the world . I dont see the Chinese consulting with us or giving us a head's up whenever they are about to devalue the Yuan as the US did for about six months before they raised rates in Dec 2015.
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by Almajiri1: 8:58pm On May 13, 2016
bump
Re: What You Need To Know About The Currency Swap Agreement Between Nigeria/china by mabara84(m): 11:44am On May 21, 2018
Not until i see that Tecno phone I used to buy for 80k being sold for 12k, I won't believe in it...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) / Photos From Michael Chukwuka Onyema Burial: Celebrities, Politicians Spotted / Official Prices Of Drinks By NBL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.