Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,380 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? (6228 Views)

FG To Demolish Costain, Jibowu Bridges For Lagos/ibadan Standard Gauge Rail Line / Lagos-ibadan Rail Line Poised To Create More Than 500,000 Jobs - VP Osinbajo / Buhari Orders Lagos-kano Railway To Pass Through Ekiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 6:40pm On Apr 13, 2016
New Lagos-Kano rail line: can someone educate me please?

The maps below show the current rail system in Nigeria
With that, you can see that we already have a Lagos-Nguru line (which includes a stop in Kano) and a PH-Maiduguri line (in addition to other shorter connections between these lines and the Warri stand-alone line)

So my question is this: what is this new Lagos-Kano line that is being approved for construction? Do they want to have 2 Lagos-Kano lines or what?

I am a bit confused and would do with some education on this matter.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 6:44pm On Apr 13, 2016
Should what we need now not be the Calabar-Lagos line, a line from Adamawa to Niger, and making Abuja a strong hub with several rail line connections?
See map

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 6:56pm On Apr 13, 2016
Are we really serious with developing Nigeria or we are just playing to the gallery?
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by TheArchangel(f): 6:59pm On Apr 13, 2016
Maybe they are going to be importing supersonic trains and building it tracks too.......
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 7:03pm On Apr 13, 2016
TheArchangel:

Maybe they are going to be importing supersonic trains and building it tracks too.......

Is that what they want to do? Do you imply that the current rail system is unsuitable for the type of train they want to eventually bring in?
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by TheArchangel(f): 7:09pm On Apr 13, 2016
Adelaide2:

Is that what they want to do? Do you imply that the current rail system is unsuitable for the type of train they want to eventually bring in?
I DON'T know my brother.

But,
Unsuitable.. It is.
Supersonic trains needs tracks that will levitates with magnetism... whatever it is called.… Unless this is what they are proposing to construct then something is massively fishy somewhere. We ain't got excess money to construct a railway on an existing railway, modernising it will be okay to fit the current trends which will not gulp all that amount being apportioned to it.

2 Likes

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 7:17pm On Apr 13, 2016
TheArchangel:
I DON'T know my brother.

But,
Unsuitable.. It is.
Supersonic trains needs tracks that will levitated with magnetism... whatever it is called.… Unless this is what they are proposing to construct then something is massively fishy somewhere. We ain't got excess money to construct a railway on an existing railway, modernising it will be okay to fit the current trends which will not gulp all that amount being apportioned to it.

Okay! It's sad, however, that the policy makers in that country are always murky in their dealings. It's unclear why anything is done; there is no rationale for anything that's made clear to the citizens. Just seems like they are running the country on the fly.
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Jorussia(m): 7:27pm On Apr 13, 2016
Adelaide2:

Okay! It's sad, however, that the policy makers in that country are always murky in their dealings. It's unclear why anything is done; there is no rationale for anything that's made clear to the citizens. Just seems like they are running the country on the fly.
the current train from kano to Lagos takes about 48hrs arrival time.They want to modernise it with fast speed trains.

2 Likes

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 7:31pm On Apr 13, 2016
Jorussia:
the current train from kano to Lagos takes about 48hrs arrival time.They want to modernise it with
fast speed trains.

Great. Thanks. So it's about modernizing the old system which is a good thing. So how about the current PH-Maiduguri one? Is it also as slow as the Lagos-Kano one? If so, why is it not being talked about?

1 Like

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by StOla: 7:33pm On Apr 13, 2016
I believe the government called it modernization.

This could mean pulling out all the existing junk for something that does not look like cold war Russia or East Germany.
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 7:45pm On Apr 13, 2016
StOla:
I believe the government called it modernization.

This could mean pulling out all the existing junk for something that does not look like cold war Russia or East Germany.

And the current PH-Maiduguri one?

1 Like

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Jorussia(m): 7:45pm On Apr 13, 2016
Adelaide2:

Great. Thanks. So it's about modernizing the old system which is a good thing. So how about the current PH-Maiduguri one? Is it also as slow as the Lagos-Kano one? If so, why is it not being talked about?
yes,that one is also very slow.I believe that this govt is addressing them one after the other.Besides,the setting aside of #60b,for the Lagos to calabar train has made it impossible for the modernisation to be extended to other
rail lines in the budget of this year.
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 7:55pm On Apr 13, 2016
Jorussia:
yes,that one is also very slow.I believe that this govt is addressing them one after the other.Besides,the setting aside of #60b,for the Lagos to calabar train has made it impossible for the modernisation to be extended to other
rail lines in the budget of this year.

Okay! Thanks. In any case they need to get something going on for the other lines. Either they continue with the new Calabar-Lagos line or they also modernize the current PH-Maiduguri line. The Eastern part of the country cannot lose out in both cases.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by asala1: 8:01pm On Apr 13, 2016
Adelaide2:

With that, you can see that we already have a Lagos-Nguru line (which includes a stop in Kano) and a PH-Maiduguri line (in addition to other shorter connections between these lines and the Warri stand-alone line)

So my question is this: what is this new Lagos-Kano line that is being approved for construction? Do they want to have 2 Lagos-Kano lines or what?

Thank you.

The rail tracks we have in Nigeria are those built during the colonial era and are narrow gauge tracks which are no longer in use. Most trains in all part of the world uses the standard gauge track and so all trains are produced to fit this standard tracks. Even if Nigeria decides to buy new train, there are no standard track to run them, we can only buy refurbished old abandon trains which run on the tracks we have presently.

To get new and modern trains, Nigeria will have to built the standard gauge track where they will run.

2 Likes

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by Adelaide2: 8:03pm On Apr 13, 2016
asala1:

The rail tracks we have in Nigeria are those built during the colonial era and are narrow gauge tracks which are no longer in use. Most trains in all part of the world uses the standard gauge track and so all trains are produced to fit this standard tracks. Even if Nigeria decides to buy new train, there are no standard track to run them, we can only buy refurbished old abandon trains which run on the tracks we have presently.

To get new and modern trains, Nigeria will have to built the standard gauge track where they will run.

Sure! I got the main gist from Jorussia and now you. Thanks

1 Like

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by socialmediaman: 8:06pm On Apr 13, 2016
Op your answer may lie in the train stops which both of them would be making, plus the speed of the trains to be used on them. Have you looked at the cities which the PH-Maid vs Lagos-Kano rails would be linking? Unfortunately I don't have the complete rail routes to make more sense of this...

We actually need multiple rail routes in Nigeria. A State like New York has multiple routes connecting various cities, even double routes going in the same direction (one faster and one slower)
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by tpia5: 8:09pm On Apr 13, 2016
asala1:

big task.
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by TheArchangel(f): 10:03pm On Apr 13, 2016
socialmediaman:
Op your answer may lie in the train stops which both of them would be making, plus the speed of the trains to be used on them. Have you looked at the cities which the PH-Maid vs Lagos-Kano rails would be linking? Unfortunately I don't have the complete rail routes to make more sense of this...

We actually need multiple rail routes in Nigeria. A State like New York has multiple routes connecting various cities, even double routes going in the same direction (one faster and one slower)
Both route will be linking a greater part of the country on both sides. It looks as if the towns and cities on both route were evenly connected by the colonial masters

Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by mamaafrik(m): 9:06am On Aug 26, 2017
Fear .north ,lagos-calabar suld be of priority.
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by icedfire(m): 9:15am On Aug 26, 2017
how did we get to this point. past regional leaders from southern Nigeria have a lot toanswer for. and our children should curse us if this generation refuses to make amends.

Howe have the railway connecting Lagos to the North . we have another connecting port Harcourt to the North. what about one connecting Lagos to other southern states. isn't this delibrate? Lets assume our past leaders from the south failed us, what is the current generation doing to amend this anomaly?
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by icedfire(m): 9:15am On Aug 26, 2017
how did we get to this point. past regional leaders from southern Nigeria have a lot toanswer for. and our children should curse us if this generation refuses to make amends.

we have the railway connecting Lagos to the North . we have another connecting port Harcourt to the North. what about one connecting Lagos to other southern states. isn't this delibrate? Lets assume our past leaders from the south failed us, what is the current generation doing to amend this anomaly?
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by obailala(m): 9:23am On Aug 26, 2017
Adelaide2:

Thank you.
The existing rail lines have Narrow Gauge tracks. They are old and outdated and can only support slow trains (not even up to 50km/h); reason why the present train journey from Lagos to Kano takes 3 days, the trains coukd go faster but the tracks dont support higher speed.

The newly proposed rails are Standard Gauge Tracks which is the current standard globally. They can support train speeds of up to 150-200km/h.
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by naturalman: 9:30am On Aug 26, 2017
mamaafrik:
Fear .north ,lagos-calabar suld be of priority.

It is not about regions....

IT is about northern and southern region economic hubs
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by obailala(m): 9:31am On Aug 26, 2017
icedfire:

we have the railway connecting Lagos to the North . we have another connecting port Harcourt to the North. what about one connecting Lagos to other southern states. isn't this delibrate? Lets assume our past leaders from the south failed us, what is the current generation doing to amend this anomaly?
I think the reason behind that was that the white colonialists who built the Lagos-North amd PH-North didn't care about internal local trade in Nigeria. From the southern cities, the colonialists could easily load their loot into a nearby ship and sail off to Europe. But they needed an efficient means to transport their loot from the north down to the ports, reason why they built those north-south lines.

Real question is, what have Nigerian leaders built since 1960?
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by mamaafrik(m): 10:18am On Aug 26, 2017
naturalman:

It is not about regions....

IT is about northern and southern region economic hubs
we are saying the same thing,compare haulage of goods via d two routes and see.
Re: New Lagos-Kano Rail Line: Can Someone Educate Me Please? by pasczabiceps: 11:51pm On Oct 10, 2018
T

(1) (Reply)

LAWMA To Complete Rehabilitation Of Lamdfills In Days / Jang: Only Haters Of Nigeria, Economic Recovery Oppose Subsidy Removal / 700,000 People Displaced By Bandits In Zamfara – Gov’t

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.