Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,081 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? (11024 Views)

sold / 3 Different Computers, The Same Problem! / Hp Envy Wireless All-in-one Printer At Mcostar Mall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by CHISOMPHILIP(m): 9:20am On Apr 14, 2016
Please am an IT student that just recently got employed in a firm as an IT worker...My department is just having one printer which like 4 of us is using but I don't like the way we re always carring about the printer each time any of us wants to print.
Please I don't know if anyone in de haus can help me with the detail way of connecting the printer to the d/f PCs.

thanks

1 Like

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by rottennaija(m): 9:24am On Apr 14, 2016
It has to be networked.

8 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by Fulaman198(m): 9:33am On Apr 14, 2016
rottennaija:
It has to be networked.
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by CHISOMPHILIP(m): 9:37am On Apr 14, 2016
I know it has to be networked, just asking for a detailed way of doing it
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by chynie: 10:28am On Apr 14, 2016
check to be sure the printer has a network function

then install an Ethernet

then connect through the Ethernet

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by RichYoungNigger(m): 10:28am On Apr 14, 2016
Once the printer and the first computer is connected to one WiFi network, you can use any computer that is connected to the same WiFi network on the printer

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by BIGTinfotech: 10:30am On Apr 14, 2016
Get a LAN neetwork!
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by mikedimeji(m): 10:32am On Apr 14, 2016
Is it a network printer
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by mu2sa2: 10:34am On Apr 14, 2016
Op well done for bringing this up. It's been a while I have a seen good post like this on fp Hopefully something useful will come out of it so we can learn.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by tobtap: 10:34am On Apr 14, 2016
cool
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by masterblogger(m): 10:34am On Apr 14, 2016
Very easy, don't follow all these long processes this guys are giving you.

You don't need Internet, ethernet, Wan, LAN, Ip address etc.

Just a simple 30 secs step.

Thanks, you are welcome

Well done

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by ayokenny37(m): 10:34am On Apr 14, 2016
get the computers networked.

connect the printer to one of the networked computer and share it.

go to the other computers and ping the computer that has the shared printer, the shared printer and other shared items on the computer will show. right click the printer and click connect.

NB: Pinging: Assuming the IP address of the computer that the printer id connected to is 192.10.1.55.

just go to the other computers, click run and type \\192.10.1.55

CHISOMPHILIP:
Please am an IT student that just recently got employed in a firm as an IT worker...My department is just having one printer which like 4 of us is using but I don't like the way we re always carring about the printer each time any of us wants to print.
Please I don't know if anyone in de haus can help me with the detail way of connecting the printer to the d/f PCs.

thanks

18 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by barbiesparkz2(f): 10:34am On Apr 14, 2016
CHISOMPHILIP:

thanks

You best bet is to search Google & YouTube videos on how to connect a printer to a WLAN.
You'll get better step-by-step procedures from Pros.

9 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 14, 2016
First if it's a network printer,it can be incoperated into the LAN directly,or still can be connected to one of the computers in the network and shared.Provided you have a LAN .
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by PassingShot(m): 10:34am On Apr 14, 2016
Google is your friend, your cousin, your uncle and even your sibling.

Thank me later.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by brainbox1000(m): 10:35am On Apr 14, 2016
Carry your legs up, put your head down...
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by Knownpal(m): 10:35am On Apr 14, 2016
Make sure the computer that owns the printer is connected to a WIFI, share the printer to be used and then you'll connect all other computers to the same WIFI. If you WIFI is a problem you can create Hotspot on your android phone it doesn't necessary mean it must connect to the internet.

To share your printer
Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Printer properties.
Click the Sharing tab, and select the Share this printer check box.

I think that method is good for low budget offices and individuals who can't purchase a wireless printer.

For more info : http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000904.htm

10 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by affigurl5(f): 10:36am On Apr 14, 2016
the systems has to be on network then u can share it from the device it's been installed.. is it's a wireless printer, u can as add the printer when you search the network.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by maxjax(m): 10:38am On Apr 14, 2016
everybody dey form guru now grin

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by phobophobia: 10:39am On Apr 14, 2016
Check if its network printer
Search for the printer from ur own system under control panel
Then add a printer under devices and printer
Choose the printer and follow d instruction
Note: It must be connected to working network cable and u must know the printer model number in case there are many other network printers
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by Tizzy124: 10:41am On Apr 14, 2016
Just install d driver to one PC and use d IP address of that PC to share it by using "\\" with d IP address. E.g \\192.168.7.71
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by shegfun(m): 10:41am On Apr 14, 2016
get 8ports switch or less since u have four systems, install the printer in one of system that will be server , go the printer property share it on the server, then go others (clients) systems network them, go to add printer try to search for the printer or //computername/printer

to understand very well google it.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by Tizzy124: 10:42am On Apr 14, 2016
Just install d driver to one PC and use d IP address of that PC to share it by using "\\" with d IP address. E.g \\192.168.7.71
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by yomalex(m): 10:42am On Apr 14, 2016
Network
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by imami00: 10:42am On Apr 14, 2016
Please check if the printer is a Network printer (equipped with an Ethernet port), in that case, all you need is the IP address of the printer. If not, then the printer has to be 'shared'. Let me know your findings, so I can guide you on either Networking or sharing it
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by DExplorer1: 10:43am On Apr 14, 2016
masterblogger:
Very easy, don't follow all these long processes this guys are giving you.

You don't need Internet, ethernet, Wan, LAN, Ip address etc.

Just a simple 30 secs step.

Thanks, you are welcome

Well done
This weed you take strong gan mehn

8 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by fromnigeria(m): 10:44am On Apr 14, 2016
Achieving this require a network. Do you have basic networking ideas?
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by betrani(m): 10:46am On Apr 14, 2016
Setup a print server using one of the PCs as this server, then share the printer! Remember this can be possible if the systems are on the same network segment! The printer doesn't necessarily need to be a network printer
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by 9iceboy: 10:48am On Apr 14, 2016
It doesn't have to be a network printer. You can connect it to one PC and share it with the other computers. The only challenge is that the computer that the printer is connected to must always be on for the other computers to print

To turn on file and printer sharing

Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.
Click the chevron Picture of the chevron icon to expand the current network profile.

If printer sharing is off, under File and printer sharing, select Turn on file and printer sharing, and then click Save changes. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Now you need to share the printer itself.

To share your printer

Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Printer properties.

Click the Sharing tab, and select the Share this printer check box.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by Olisa4all: 10:52am On Apr 14, 2016
there are alot of ways to this and alot of people have posted the different methods you can use based on the resources you have, just pick the one that looks easy and follow it through...
Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by OgaTheTop2: 10:54am On Apr 14, 2016
shegfun:
get 8ports switch or less since u have four systems, install the printer in one of system that will be server , go the printer property share it on the server, then go others (clients) systems network them, go to add printer try to search for the printer or //computername/printer

to understand very well google it.
1. Get a switch or a router and connect the four systems to router
2. Name each and every system on same domain. I mean give same domain name to each system connected to the router.
3. Make a good system as the print server. Connect the printer to this system and share in the network properties.
4. From each other system, add a printer and be ready to install driver if necessary. .

Goodluck o..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Connect One Printer To Different Computers? by akarich007(m): 10:55am On Apr 14, 2016
I have gone through all the information given to you on how u can share printer on the network and i have to let you know that if you have not been involved in the installation of this kind of printer before you might not understand the simple steps. Get a qualified network engineer to help fix it while you learn the steps. this will give you a clue so that next time you will not find it difficult do.

You need to have the network infrastructure that will enable you perform the task in place first.

1. A network switch 5 or 8 ports must be available
2. All the systems must be connected to the switch through the LAN cable and a work group created
3. File and print sharing must also be configured on each of the computer unit.
4. install the printer on one of the computer system and share it by right clicking on it and go to properties and share.
5. go to the other computer unit, click on network places and locate the computer where u have shared the printer on, double click on the computer and u will see the printer u shared then click on it to connect. make it the default printer and repeat the same process on other computers.
but note that if the operating systems are not uniform, you might have some challenges, so u need someone to guide u.

good luck as u try the above steps.

CHISOMPHILIP:

thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

USA Used Laptops (free Delivery And Pay On Delivery Within Lagos) UPDATED / Is Norton Stereotyping Nigerians And Nigeria? (pics) / Help Needed. My Computer Is Not Recognising My Mtn Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.